That is EXCELLENT !!! My humble thanks for your time and efforts In all of this. You are a rare individual and I appreciate the guidance you have given so freely in teaching what has been earned through your time and trials !

Screenshot (9).pngMy score is getting Screenshot (12).pnga little better after applying some of the bios settings from the link you posted. I wanted to get your thoughts on changing to premas msi vbios for these msi gtx 980's ?   Changed all power settings to what you showed and most others but my cpu OC is for 3940xm . The toggle switch fix only seems to offer limited increase  and I am still getting throttling after benching with firestrike. Modified afterburner profile to allow core voltage increase but have not tried it out yet.

Screenshot (8).png

Edited by Siplast
grammer

Throttling problem is gone. Used MSI afterburner to check core clock and it stayed maxed through bench on both 980's !!!

I hope I have not breached protocol or thread rules but I see the new A11 unlocked bios and the installation of gtx 980m as inter-related as one was created to compliment the other IMHO.

I have added the new element of using MSI proprietary 980;s and described issues encountered in this endeavor In hope of a successful installation which I now have.

PLEASE DONATE TO SWICK FOR THIS BIOS !!!

I have not yet explored all of the nuances of the improved bios but the features so far helped my installation tremendously. Their have been many downloads of this BIOS mod and very little appreciation in the form of donations to Its  MODDER who is responsible for this great new tool with the assistance of SVL7 !!!

Mr. Fox, Thanks again in walking me through this process as I could not have done this without your kind assistance.

My journey In this thread is complete but I am available to those who might need assistance with MSI gtx 980m installation and overcoming issues you will have in this process.

I still have hope ,realistic or not that Brian is correct about the possible future concerning the new 1080m and that an MXM 3.0  version might become available In the near future !

This would happen more quickly If AMD could step up the competition by coming up with a decent card this time round and show NVIDIA that their is still a market for MXM 3.0

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, kennyman said:

Hi is it even worth it to upgrade or just get a new laptop with 1060/1070?

Hi! Welcome to the community.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use Pascal in the M18xR2, or in any other pre-Pascal notebook for that matter. If you want the latest GPU technology you will need to buy a new machine.

Just don't waste money on a BGA piece of garbage. The only notebooks left that are worth a damn now are Clevos with desktop CPUs and MXM. Everything else is a BGA $hitbook, with the CPU, GPU(s), or both, soldered to the mobo like a frickin' tablet or smartphone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, guys. My 2x 7970M had burned out and I decided to upgrade to a single 970M. I'm using M18x R2, Win7 and A12 (official). Should I just ugrade/downgrade to A11 Unlocked Bios M18xR2 (by swick1981 & svl7) 2.0.0 or there are some other tricks? My 970M seems to be from Clevo and I'm currently waiting for it. Got it for $395 - I guess it wasn't a huge bargain but... Anyway, if anyone has some tips for my future installation/update, please, advise. Thanks in advance!

You will need the unlocked bios that you mentioned by Swick and SVL7 to be able to run Maxwell cards on the M18x r2 using windows 7. You should do your research on reverting to and earlier bios version. You will need to flash the vbios and run a modified driver. Page 4 of this thread on through covers what you will need to do and where to get It. Please donate to Swick for this bios once you are able to download it as many have not and this was a major revision and a huge amount of work for him to volunteer to this community and this has gone mostly unappreciated. You should be fine but understand the risks.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kaza said:

Hi, guys. My 2x 7970M had burned out and I decided to upgrade to a single 970M. I'm using M18x R2, Win7 and A12 (official). Should I just ugrade/downgrade to A11 Unlocked Bios M18xR2 (by swick1981 & svl7) 2.0.0 or there are some other tricks? My 970M seems to be from Clevo and I'm currently waiting for it. Got it for $395 - I guess it wasn't a huge bargain but... Anyway, if anyone has some tips for my future installation/update, please, advise. Thanks in advance!

47 minutes ago, Siplast said:

You will need the unlocked bios that you mentioned by Swick and SVL7 to be able to run Maxwell cards on the M18x r2 using windows 7. You should do your research on reverting to and earlier bios version. You will need to flash the vbios and run a modified driver. Page 4 of this thread on through covers what you will need to do and where to get It. Please donate to Swick for this bios once you are able to download it as many have not and this was a major revision and a huge amount of work for him to volunteer to this community and this has gone mostly unappreciated. You should be fine but understand the risks.

Yes, I totally agree with what Brother @Siplast suggested, definitely want to use the @Swick1981 BIOS mod for any Maxwell GPU in the M18xR2.

Thanks for the answers! I have found some info about downgrading from A12 - I should install the official A10 over it and then I will be able to install the modded A11... I hope so. Meanwhile, I have two new questions:
1. Should I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Will this lower the number of tricks with 970m to be set and work properlly? Or I still will have to install the modded vBios and inf's?

2. Why there are no many cases here with M18x R2 and 970m? I see people do prefer 980m more instead of 970m. Personally, I have chosen 970m because I had an adwise that it's possible to OC 970m by 25% especially in M18x R2 and it works better in M18x R2 than 980m. "980m is for AW18 and 970m is for M18x". Does anyone have an experience on comparing 970m (single) and 980m (single) especially for M18x R2 purposes? 

PS. i've already found Mr. Fox's info about 9xxx and M18X throttling... reading it now. So, Prema's vBios fixes especially this problem. 

Edited by kaza
  • Thumbs Up 1

Windows 7 is a much better OS. Windows 10 sucks. There is no reason to switch with this BIOS mod.

I had one 970M and found it only a little better than 780M. It's not that it was no good as much as not the best, and overall I was not impressed with it. It's a big improvement over 7970M. 

On 10.10.2016 at 5:11 AM, korczydar said:

Hello everyone. I have a question. After update to unlocked A11 and update ME firmware, can i go back to the stock bios? Is the new ME firmware make any conficts with the stock bios?

That's a good question IMO. Can anyone answer on it, please? 

10 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Windows 7 is a much better OS. Windows 10 sucks. There is no reason to switch with this BIOS mod.

I had one 970M and found it only a little better than 780M. It's not that it was no good as much as not the best, and overall I was not impressed with it. It's a big improvement over 7970M. 

I see, thanks for the info. I have read tons of pages here today and I got two new questions, maybe, a little bit weird... but, anyway:
1. How did you manage with 9xxM cards before Modded A11? 

2. Do these throttling problems correspond to 980M only? I'm asking because I have not found here a cases with working 970M, actually... 
Thanks.

I'm curious about Swick's mod - what vBios (9xxM) did he use for inserting into AW's Bios? Was it a port from AW 18 or a native vBios from anything else? When I was younger I did some funny experiments with modding a Bios for my old Asus M50Sa mobo. I've been able to run Intel x9100 with it, 8 Gb RAM and I even tried to install gtx 260m and damaged it a little because there was no much space for it inside Asus, lol. But, anyway, I have tried several tests with it, with the latest stock Bios and my own modded (updated CPU microcodes, updates for LAN etc., added vBios for 260m and minor cleaning) and, personally, I found that the most important things were vBios and analog for current Intel RST. All other updates were almost invisible for the system. But it was 7-8 years ago... and it wasn't UEFI which, as I remember, is more complicated. But, I guess, the main algorithm of Bios modding is still the same, heh? To add a support for a new VGA you need a special programm for opening your Bios, cutting/inserting/replacing its inner components and saving with checksum fixing errors. Plus-minus some protection validation or something like it (for UEFI). Sorry for such an offtopic, now back to our realities. As I said, I'm curious about modded A11, because I've read Swick's words that he has cleaned some garbage or so in it and I'm curious what garbage exactly and how exactly he added vBios of 9xxM - by replacing something useless or by adding a new vBios, because some of this ways generates additional garbage too if I'm not mistaken... As to CPU microcode update - am I wrong that the official A11-12 already had a microcode for 39xx CPUs? Not the latest but some old and working. I'm asking because I'm in the process of getting 3940xm for myself now. I hope I will be able to address a private messages here soon... I haven't look at the limitations but, I guess, they do present for a noob like me :) 

The modified bios allows you to access the peg feature which the standard bios does not. Peg needs to be enabled for the Maxwell cards to work. Their is a little more to It but that's the basics. Other mod bios allowed for peg but did not allow for the OS to run Maxwell in any other environment than UEFI. Swicks bios allows for an OS that can run on legacy or UEFI with Maxwell. You will need to download and flash the standard A11 bios and then flash with Swick's bios after whatever procedure you use to revert . Once again, this is a short thread and you should read all the way through. Cant speak to the 970m

1 hour ago, kaza said:

That's a good question IMO. Can anyone answer on it, please? 

I see, thanks for the info. I have read tons of pages here today and I got two new questions, maybe, a little bit weird... but, anyway:
1. How did you manage with 9xxM cards before Modded A11? 

2. Do these throttling problems correspond to 980M only? I'm asking because I have not found here a cases with working 970M, actually... 
Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Siplast said:

The modified bios allows you to access the peg feature which the standard bios does not. Peg needs to be enabled for the Maxwell cards to work. Their is a little more to It but that's the basics. Other mod bios allowed for peg but did not allow for the OS to run Maxwell in any other environment than UEFI. Swicks bios allows for an OS that can run on legacy or UEFI with Maxwell. You will need to download and flash the standard A11 bios and then flash with Swick's bios after whatever procedure you use to revert . Once again, this is a short thread and you should read all the way through. Cant speak to the 970m

To expand upon what Siplast said, with the stock BIOS there are severe throttling problems and the BIOS must be set to pure UEFI mode or the machine will fail to POST with 8 beeps. If you reset the BIOS or clear the CMOS you must remove the video card(s) and set the BIOS back to UEFI with no Legacy Support, then put the GPU(s) back in. As you can imagine, that is a gigantic pain in the butt and a miserable experience to have to deal with. @Swick1981 BIOS mod fixes that problem.

The 970M should work the same as 980M, but it is obviously not nearly as powerful. 

36 minutes ago, technos said:

I'm still waiting on Swick to divulge exactly what he did for the M18x R2 to retrofit Maxwell legacy support. I would like to port this to the m18x R1 if possible.

Did you send a PM to @Brian to get your user name changed yet?

I don't remember what he did now. He told me, but I forgot. Maybe you should give him a ring and talk about it. Do you know how to get ahold of him? It would be nice to get one final GPU refresh for the M18xR1.

/index.php?/profile/30581-swick1981/" rel="">@Swick1981- Damn brother did you guys create a winner! Flashed without issue, booted and my AW is faster than ever. Great job. +1

***Everyone*** Be sure to hit the "like button" and if possible, donate a keg! Indeed, mine donation is on it's way. Cheers

Edit : Donation sent my friend. 9KW77843GE753202P

• Klem changed the title to [Bios Mod] M18xR2 - Legacy Support now Available