Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs

Recommended Posts

Guest
2 hours ago, Siplast said:

Thank you so much for the clarification as I would like to invite the seller to view this discussion. You have been a great help once again ! It is a shame I cant make use of these cards.

 

You're welcome. Glad to answer your questions. And, yes, I agree. It is a shame they won't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Fox, I thought I would ask a few more questions before I give up and return these cards to the seller. I have and m17x r4 that I converted to 120 hz but I have the old 60hz. screen and I could switch it back if needed. So my first question would be : 1. can I flash NVidia card in optimus mode ? I have not used optimus in a couple of years and cant remember for sure but It seemed that NVidia control panel was present and device manager saw the cards in optimus mode ? 2. Using the m18x 2 with 680 in the main slot and 980 in the slave slot can the secondary card be flashed ? I believe that only the primary slot can be flashed unless two cards are used sli. ? 3. Is it possible with only one card installed to flash while in sg mode using m18x r2 ? 4. Is it possible to flash 980 in dos mode instead of windows and If so do you know of a vbios for 980m in dos that I could use for this project ? Do you have any further Ideas or suggestions that I have not mentioned ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I just started rereading, reading through Gofafa post on m17x r4 and m18x r2 but it is quite lengthy and I have not finished yet. Did anyone get the m17x r4 to work with 980m ?

Edited by Siplast
redundant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless I can get laptop to boot without 8 beeps It really does not matter about anything else as the point is moot. Once booted in uefi it should be plug and play using peg. I will run through all again and post if I have a better result. If you think of anything else Mr. Fox Please let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoke to MSI today about the GTX 980m's  that I was trying to use. After explaining that I was trying to use this card in m18x r2 , The rep who was very helpful and put me on hold for about 5 minutes. When he came back it seems he had been guided to the right place in the database that he was using. The Rep. stated that the GTX 980m that is used in the Gt80 Titan is not compatible with any other laptop except another GT80 Titan period ,not even any other MSI laptop. The prongs In the pics that I showed earlier I believe are the added proprietary addition to the card. I don't know How to get around this unless simply compressing the prongs to make contact upon themselves and isolating them from contact with metal solves the issue. I have asked the seller to send pictures of the heatsink as I can not find any pics online showing the side facing the card. I am hopeful that their might be some visible difference that can be easily reproduced . I will add the pictures when I receive them for  any that might be curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
2 hours ago, Siplast said:

Spoke to MSI today about the GTX 980m's  that I was trying to use. After explaining that I was trying to use this card in m18x r2 , The rep who was very helpful and put me on hold for about 5 minutes. When he came back it seems he had been guided to the right place in the database that he was using. The Rep. stated that the GTX 980m that is used in the Gt80 Titan is not compatible with any other laptop except another GT80 Titan period ,not even any other MSI laptop. The prongs In the pics that I showed earlier I believe are the added proprietary addition to the card. I don't know How to get around this unless simply compressing the prongs to make contact upon themselves and isolating them from contact with metal solves the issue. I have asked the seller to send pictures of the heatsink as I can not find any pics online showing the side facing the card. I am hopeful that their might be some visible difference that can be easily reproduced . I will add the pictures when I receive them for  any that might be curious.

Will they allow you to return them? I really hate when OEMs do proprietary crap. It's extremely retarded and selfish of them. There is no acceptable excuse for that kind of bullshit. MSI and ASUS have been notorious for pulled stunts like that, but after what Clevo just did to all of their P870DM-G owners, I cannot give Clevo any credit for being better/different. Seems they may have become just as messed up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seller was breaking down his titan for parts hoping to get more than he can for the unit as a whole. The seller is hoping I can get them to work otherwise he's stuck unless he can find another Titan owner who has bad cards and needs to replace them and Is not under warranty. MSI voids your warranty if you pull the screws to replace parts. Only authorized service centers are allowed to service MSI laptops. These 980's are not resellable otherwise.

MSI, BGA, Proprietary, : Big brother is alive and well with MSI as a home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
3 hours ago, Siplast said:

Seller was breaking down his titan for parts hoping to get more than he can for the unit as a whole. The seller is hoping I can get them to work otherwise he's stuck unless he can find another Titan owner who has bad cards and needs to replace them and Is not under warranty. MSI voids your warranty if you pull the screws to replace parts. Only authorized service centers are allowed to service MSI laptops. These 980's are not resellable otherwise.

MSI, BGA, Proprietary, : Big brother is alive and well with MSI as a home.

This has been true of MSI and ASUS laptops for as long as I can remember. I doubt I would ever consider purchasing one. Both act like Nazi's with their warranty policies as well. Life is too short to put up with filth like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to get the first MSI GTX 980m to function. The prongs had to be modified as they were causing the card to short out and not seat properly. I was tempted to just cut them off but I reformed the metal to close down and make contact upon itself and then isolate it from touching any metal with thermal pads. As I work on the second card I will include pics of the modified spring. It seems MSI's  proprietary 980 is no longer proprietary. GTX980 Works.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My VBIOS version is reading 84.04.88.00.C1 after flashing with premas mod. Have I used the correct VBIOS ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
4 hours ago, Siplast said:

I was able to get the first MSI GTX 980m to function. The prongs had to be modified as they were causing the card to short out and not seat properly. I was tempted to just cut them off but I reformed the metal to close down and make contact upon itself and then isolate it from touching any metal with thermal pads. As I work on the second card I will include pics of the modified spring. It seems MSI's  proprietary 980 is no longer proprietary. GTX980 Works.png

WOOHOO that is awesome. Good job!

2 hours ago, Siplast said:

My VBIOS version is reading 84.04.88.00.C1 after flashing with premas mod. Have I used the correct VBIOS ?

Yes. It looks like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have gotten the second 980 in and running in SLI ! SLI-2.png20160812_231117_resized.jpgBefore I cut the prongs20160820_120655_resized.jpgAfter I cut  folded and clipped under the opposite side

Edited by Siplast
Left out mat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having problems with throttling and low bench scores and when I try to toggle I get 8 beeps going from IGFX back to peg. I have to trick it but eventually get it back to peg and running as it should. I will reread some of the threads and make sure I have the right settings in the bios. Windows 8.1 UEFI , legacy disabled , secure boot off, Might have fast boot enabled which I will see If that makes a difference. Need to finish installing drivers for the other ssd with windows 7 and try and see if that makes a difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I had only one of the 980's installed the throttle toggle fix worked great and more that doubled my bench but now with both cards  installed in sli, the toggle is not working and I get 8 beeps on the switchover.

Have to , power drain , pull cmos out completely and battery and start till 5 beeps then reassemble and restart just to get back into bios and reset to peg, then all works again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Restarted and went into bios, disable quick boot , set to igfx and booted up, reinstalled intel drivers for integrated graphics as they were now missing, rebooted and changed bios to peg and ALL GOOD !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20160821_112254_resized.jpgI cant seem to access overclock functions for GTX through the new A11 unlocked bios. If I switch to igfx the function is available but once I switch to peg it is disabled ? Is their something I am not finding to acess this function ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
11 minutes ago, Siplast said:

20160821_112254_resized.jpgI cant seem to access overclock functions for GTX through the new A11 unlocked bios. If I switch to igfx the function is available but once I switch to peg it is disabled ? Is their something I am not finding to acess this function ?

This has always been true. It has nothing to do with the BIOS mod or version you are using.

 

GT Overclocking is for the Intel iGPU. When you switch to PEG the Intel HD Graphics is disabled, so it only stands to reason GT Overclocking is also disabled. As far as the BIOS is concerned, IGFX no longer exists when PEG in enabled.

 

There is no reason to use GT Overclocking anyway. It is a completely worthless feature. The CPU overclocking is up above that disabled entry and that's the only thing that matters. Those options are not disabled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to make sure. I have disabled my standard OC for testing the 980's In this pic is the daily OC I have been using. I have concern about DDU error in safe mode and with all of the bios switching and from 7 to 8.1 uefi and legacy I should reformat fresh 8.1 os. I need to test the 980's individually now that they are both working but I am not sure If I can run slave slot with gpu if main is pulled. I would think this would not be and issue but thought to ask to save time.

20160821_125006_resized.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

The slave MXM slot cannot be used if the master slot is empty. A single GPU can only be used in the master slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I thought that might be the case. Found out for sure while testing. Just running low on thermal paste but luckily I had just enough left to test each individually and set up again sli

GPUZ is telling me these cards are made by Dell ? MSI laptop gt80 Titan is what they came from. VBIOS is for Clevo and mod NVidia desktop driver. How does gpuz determine manufacturer ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
5 minutes ago, Siplast said:

Yeah I thought that might be the case. Found out for sure while testing. Just running low on thermal paste but luckily I had just enough left to test each individually and set up again sli

GPUZ is telling me these cards are made by Dell ? MSI laptop gt80 Titan is what they came from. VBIOS is for Clevo and mod NVidia desktop driver. How does gpuz determine manufacturer ?

GPU-Z does not determine the GPU manufacturer. It merely reports information about the computer as a whole based based on what the computer tells GPU-Z about itself.

 

So, GPU-Z is telling you these GPUs have been installed in a Dell based on the HWID of the motherboard. If you put them in an MSI it will say MSI. If you put them in a Clevo it will say Clevo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you have a lot of connects and I keep seeing new laptops advertising 1080m sli. I would bet you will have one or two soon to test ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
18 minutes ago, Siplast said:

I know you have a lot of connects and I keep seeing new laptops advertising 1080m sli. I would bet you will have one or two soon to test ?

 

Sadly, that will not happen. If you look in the other threads you will see a lot of drama about this. NVIDIA stopped supporting MXM. MSI and Clevo are the only two laptop manufacturers left that use discrete GPUs in notebooks. Everyone else is using BGA garbage now. Even the new ASUS laptops are BGA this go-round. Along with that change, 1070 and 1080 MXM cards are a new form factor. Clevo and MSI are not sharing a standard, so they are totally different. The cards are wider and people like me that spent big bucks on a new P870DM-G with plans of upgrading to 1080 SLI are screwed. We cannot because the slots are too close together. The new P870DM3 is a new motherboard with MXM slots moved apart to make space for two cards. We cannot even do 1070 SLI. The only potential option is 1060 SLI and there is no benefit in that over 980M SLI. What idiot would want the most pathetic and lowest performance Pascal GPU as an upgrade? LOL! Not me, that's for sure.

 

This is also terrible for all other laptops owners everywhere. There are no longer any high end MXM GPUs to upgrade anything after 980M. Not only are the PCBs bigger, the cards are designed differently and the core has been moved, so the screw holes for the heat sinks are in all of the wrong places. MSI and Clevo did not even do this part the same. Their cores are in different locations on the PCB, so heat sinks won't fit from one brand to another.

 

This is real tragedy for all notebook enthusiasts. I think I will be going back to desktops now. I don't want to do this any more. There is no more fun to be had and everything here on out will be overly complicated if not impossible for everybody.  This may also potentially make everything for @Prema more difficult from a firmware modding perspective. With no commonality left and everything becoming proprietary, this is a lose-lose situation for all of us. Had I known this was going to happen I would have used the money from selling my Alienware systems to build my own desktop. That is why you see the link in my signature. Very, very sad situation that affects us all in a horrible way. Brother @J95 is in the same boat. My machine is 2.5 months old. His is barely a month old now.

 

Be sure to check out this thread and cast a vote in the poll. The opinion of every notebook enthusiast counts here, regardless of what brand they prefer.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horrible, betrayed by intent from Nvidia on down the food chain. I had been planning a new desktop build but got the 980's instead with hopes of the new 1080's down the pike. This really is a tragedy........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking through power menu in the bios, tdp lock and custom configure tdp custom setting 0. Anything in here that is safe to tweak ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Andrew2009
      Please could you check if it is possible to unlock my A17 BIOS? I have Alienware 17 R5(2013). 120 Ghz 3D. gtx 980 m. I want upgrade to 1070 but I have dark picture. Turns on but does not start with 1070. 980m-All good. What could it be?
    • By Aun
      I am trying to find unlocked bios for overclocking but i cannot find it from a few days please someone help in me. its for my alienware 17 r3 with 970m and i7 6700hq.
       
      my dumped gpu bios
       
      i would really appreciate your help!
       
      and btw rn i OCed thru msi after burner core clock +135 and memory clock +250.
       
      cpu gpuz pic
      gpu pic
       
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.