I've attached some pictures for additional information.

Flashed with correct premamod ( although mismatched, I was told it's fine ), the correct device ids with gpuz and device manager.

Videocard adapter in the bios is set to peg.

980m.gif

980Mfailed.jpg

980mflashed.jpg

980madapter.jpg

You are manually disabling Driver Signature Enforcement (DSE) in the Windows Boot Manager prior to Windows logon, correct? If not, that is what is causing the issue. Simply enabling test mode at the command prompt is not enough. It has to be disabled before Windows begins booting. Once the driver installs successfully, reboot. You won't have to manually disable DSE again once the driver has successfully installed.

Gha8RBp.jpg

Yes, I just used the photo I had for Windows 7, but it is exactly the same if you are selecting it from the screen BEFORE Windows loads. If you have invoked the legacy boot menu using F8 it will look exactly the same as Windows 7 in the photo I posted. The default look on Windows 8 is the tacky blue colored crap with ginormous text, but the underlying functionality is the same.

Well, as a last ditch effort I may try to install windows 7 again to see if I have some luck.  If it doesn't work I'll just be reverting my bios to a previous version that worked.  It may have throttled but some of my games were at least playable

1 hour ago, BigBr0ski said:

Well, as a last ditch effort I may try to install windows 7 again to see if I have some luck.  If it doesn't work I'll just be reverting my bios to a previous version that worked.  It may have throttled but some of my games were at least playable

Try @J95 driver mod. Follow instructions carefully about deleting folders and replacing INF files. I am using this driver with excellent results.

@Mr. Fox You've been a great help and thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.  This whole 980M and m18xr2 fiasco can be difficult to find any info on, so it's great that I could find the answers here and find such an active forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately the power throttling has reared it's ugly head again.  Which is something I do not understand since I've made no changes and has worked perfectly for 2 weeks.  I've tried the switch to igfx, reboot and immediately change to peg, still no change.  Any idea guys?

Well.  Now I get a fail to post with 8 beeps.  I have done the removal of the cmos battery and confirmed all settings are correct.  However upon ressetting, same issue, fail to post and 8 beeps.  I fear my 980m may be fried :(

Any other things I could try?

I am working with m18x r2 but I have not flashed an unlocked bios before. I have read the instructions for m17x r4 which I still work with as well and they seem very clear. My questions would be: Do I need to use prr tool by svl7  with fpt as with m17x r4 instructions ? I have A11 bios installed now. Having not done this before It would be great If I could find a little more info  before trying this. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks.

I understand the instructions in the read me text but now I am laying out my understanding hoping If I am mistaken someone might correct me. I am working on M18x R2 with windows 8.1 in UEFI environment. Set up : 2 x gtx680m 2gb cards, 3940xm cpu, 32gb Corsair vengeance 1866 ram, Daily overclock 4.389 at  43c on idle and 70c under load, SSD 500gb Samsung ,killer wireless. BIOS version A11, VBIOS 80.04.5B.00.02 on primary card and not sure without switching the cards around what vbios is on the secondary card but that should not make any difference ? I believe since I am already running A11 stock bios I should be fine flashing A11 unlocked . I have been following topic for other unlocked bios and the consensus was always to end up with stock version of the bios before flashing unlocked version and I hope the same holds true. Goals of the install: Ability to overclock the GPU's and soon to install one and then a second gtx980m understanding that I will have to mod two 330w power supplies together to accomplish function as well as small possible overclock ? Will need to flash VBIOS prema following Mr. Fox's advice on drivers from previous thread and vbios version. It would be great also to be able to run under windows 7 in legacy mode. Even If no one responds I would just like to say I am truly humbled and more than a little envious of the work so many of you have put Into this forum concerning the m17x R4 and m18x r2 and of course the earlier versions of these excellent machines.

Thank you: SVL7 , Swick1981 and Mr Fox, to name only a few. I would not know these creative advances were even possible If not for you.

I pay attention to you for a long time, I like your talent and ability. I hope you develop more functions. Thank you

I recently replaced the GTX980M but found the frequent drop in frequency on M18X R2

I really want to know how to solve this problem, I hope you can help me

22 hours ago, Siplast said:

I understand the instructions in the read me text but now I am laying out my understanding hoping If I am mistaken someone might correct me. I am working on M18x R2 with windows 8.1 in UEFI environment. Set up : 2 x gtx680m 2gb cards, 3940xm cpu, 32gb Corsair vengeance 1866 ram, Daily overclock 4.389 at  43c on idle and 70c under load, SSD 500gb Samsung ,killer wireless. BIOS version A11, VBIOS 80.04.5B.00.02 on primary card and not sure without switching the cards around what vbios is on the secondary card but that should not make any difference ? I believe since I am already running A11 stock bios I should be fine flashing A11 unlocked . I have been following topic for other unlocked bios and the consensus was always to end up with stock version of the bios before flashing unlocked version and I hope the same holds true. Goals of the install: Ability to overclock the GPU's and soon to install one and then a second gtx980m understanding that I will have to mod two 330w power supplies together to accomplish function as well as small possible overclock ? Will need to flash VBIOS prema following Mr. Fox's advice on drivers from previous thread and vbios version. It would be great also to be able to run under windows 7 in legacy mode. Even If no one responds I would just like to say I am truly humbled and more than a little envious of the work so many of you have put Into this forum concerning the m17x R4 and m18x r2 and of course the earlier versions of these excellent machines.

Thank you: SVL7 , Swick1981 and Mr Fox, to name only a few. I would not know these creative advances were even possible If not for you.

You're welcome. Since you are running A11 simply flashing using the included tools should be very easy and cause you no problems. Boot DOS from USB with files on the flash drive. Run the prr2 tool and when you see "Ready to flash" message, run the flash.bat file and it should go smoothly. You can check the vBIOS version on both GPUs with GPU-Z. Change the drop-down at the very bottom of GPU-Z to the other GPU. They should match.

8 hours ago, hackerboy said:

I pay attention to you for a long time, I like your talent and ability. I hope you develop more functions. Thank you

I recently replaced the GTX980M but found the frequent drop in frequency on M18X R2

I really want to know how to solve this problem, I hope you can help me

What vBIOS do you have? Use the generic 980M Clevo vBIOS from Premamod.com and it should work fine. Also, check NVIDIA Control Panel, choose the "Use the advanced 3D image settings" option, click the "Take me there" link and be sure the Global settings tab has the power management mode set to the "Prefer maximum performance" option. Using Optimal or Adaptive mode can contribute to erratic clock speeds and in some cases the GPUs may never clock up to full boost clocks.

Hi! I want to know how can I enable nvme and M.2 ssd and use those SSD who support NvMe or M.2?

On 2016/4/11 at 11:00 AM, Swick1981 said:

ADDED NvMe Support for m18xr2

ADDED M.2 support for m18xr2

In BIOS config ,I can't find those function.

5 minutes ago, wowmui said:

Hi! I want to know how can I enable nvme and M.2 ssd and use those SSD who support NvMe or M.2?

In BIOS config ,I can't find those function.

That is not accurate and he needs to remove that. While some of the firmware tweaks might support it, the hardware platform does not.

Just now, Mr. Fox said:

That is not accurate and he needs to remove that. While some of the firmware tweaks might support it, the hardware platform does not.

OMG! I thought I found a NvMe savior. It doesn't matter.

Thanks for your help.

So quick question, i upgraded fine and a few things were having issues, but i found out some of those problems occurred because dell had repaired this like 10 times, opened it up 10 times and some of the cables were breaking.
Hard drive was no longer detected- > New cable resolved this
Keyboard no longer working and backlight no longer being powered-> i have another keyboard on the way, the contacts on the keyboard were pretty shot.
Media Keys no longer worked-> got a new front panel for the media keys, but no change, they were lighting up just fine, but no input worked inside windows or outside windows. may need to replace cable, but unsure, want to verify some things with your collective IQ of over 9000.

Now you have some backstory on this, lol

For the media keys
I know that the OSD program controls those, but outside of windows things like the eject button should function.  is there a bios setting that controls the media panel? because there is a whole lot of settings that i have no idea what they are and i am not about to go screwing around without knowing. i know he put alot of time in making this happen so i was going to come here and ask instead of spelunking and trying solutions that only effects certain bios versions.

For the keyboard
Other than it just being bad(which i feel is already the case) is there some bios option that can modify the keyboards functionality? including backlight and its ability to work in general?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, armyof1ne said:

So quick question, i upgraded fine and a few things were having issues, but i found out some of those problems occurred because dell had repaired this like 10 times, opened it up 10 times and some of the cables were breaking.
Hard drive was no longer detected- > New cable resolved this
Keyboard no longer working and backlight no longer being powered-> i have another keyboard on the way, the contacts on the keyboard were pretty shot.
Media Keys no longer worked-> got a new front panel for the media keys, but no change, they were lighting up just fine, but no input worked inside windows or outside windows. may need to replace cable, but unsure, want to verify some things with your collective IQ of over 9000.

Now you have some backstory on this, lol

For the media keys
I know that the OSD program controls those, but outside of windows things like the eject button should function.  is there a bios setting that controls the media panel? because there is a whole lot of settings that i have no idea what they are and i am not about to go screwing around without knowing. i know he put alot of time in making this happen so i was going to come here and ask instead of spelunking and trying solutions that only effects certain bios versions.

For the keyboard
Other than it just being bad(which i feel is already the case) is there some bios option that can modify the keyboards functionality? including backlight and its ability to work in general?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

It sucks that Dell/Alienware support screwed up your machine so bad, but this seems to be common. You'd think that if a novice can read a manual and take apart an Alienware laptop without breaking anything a person that has done it dozens, or hundreds of time, could do it without destroying things. They must employ retards. Part of the problem is the repair depot dullards doing the work don't give a rat's ass about Dell's customers, or their property, or the reputation of their employer.

There are no BIOS options for special key configurations or lights. You can flip multimedia versus FN function priority, but that's it. The DVD eject has not worked right since Windows 8 launched. If you're using Windws 8 or newer, just give up on that. If you are in the BIOS the eject button on the media panel should work. In Windows, open My Computer, then right-click on the ODD icon, choose eject. Unless you really love CD/DVD/BD in a computer, and I know a few people out there still do, you're better served replacing the ODD with a HDD caddy and slapping a 2TB HDD in there for extra storage.

First of all, thank you for making this BIOS and share it with all of us !

But I have a regret to tell you that my M18x R2 is installed on 1617 of the 980M..  not a version of the 13D7

however, after the refresh of your BIOS file is still not able to switch LEGACY.   BIOS default IGFX can not read 980M. If modified for the PEG will be 8beep.

Could you please tell me how to solve this problem?

THank you so much ! :) 

On ‎2016‎年‎7‎月‎20‎日 at 7:56 AM, Mr. Fox said:

You're welcome. Since you are running A11 simply flashing using the included tools should be very easy and cause you no problems. Boot DOS from USB with files on the flash drive. Run the prr2 tool and when you see "Ready to flash" message, run the flash.bat file and it should go smoothly. You can check the vBIOS version on both GPUs with GPU-Z. Change the drop-down at the very bottom of GPU-Z to the other GPU. They should match.

What vBIOS do you have? Use the generic 980M Clevo vBIOS from Premamod.com and it should work fine. Also, check NVIDIA Control Panel, choose the "Use the advanced 3D image settings" option, click the "Take me there" link and be sure the Global settings tab has the power management mode set to the "Prefer maximum performance" option. Using Optimal or Adaptive mode can contribute to erratic clock speeds and in some cases the GPUs may never clock up to full boost clocks.

But I have a regret to tell you that my M18x R2 is installed on 1617 of the 980M..  not a version of the 13D7

however, after the refresh of your BIOS file is still not able to switch LEGACY.   BIOS default IGFX can not read 980M. If modified for the PEG will be 8beep.

16 hours ago, hackerboy said:

It is not my BIOS mod and I am not sure what is wrong. Maybe @Swick1981 (the BIOS modder) can chime in.

I believe the 1617 hardware ID is a G-Sync version of 980M. I don't know why that would make any difference. It still works in UEFI mode, but not Legacy, is that correct?

• Klem changed the title to [Bios Mod] M18xR2 - Legacy Support now Available