Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
gerald

Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, manolis said:

@Swung Huangalso will the adapter support both card vendors, nvidia and amd to play on laptop screen or will  i need external monitor? and finally modified bios will be needed?

For y400/500, external monitor is required.

for y410p/510p, if you use nvidia cards you can have your games rendered in the internal screen. For AMD cards I’d say that you’d better attach a external display.

A modified BIOS is required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swung Huang said:

For y400/500, external monitor is required.

for y410p/510p, if you use nvidia cards you can have your games rendered in the internal screen. For AMD cards I’d say that you’d better attach a external display.

A modified BIOS is required.

ok so a modified bios is required for nvidia and amd?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, manolis said:

ok so a modified bios is required for nvidia and amd?

AMD cards can run on y410p/510p with stock BIOS 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, Swung Huang said:

Hi everyone! Here’s a good news.

 I adopted a 3D printer and made some new cases.

Here’s some pics.

 

8BB965E7-4607-46A7-BF17-412911321F7A.jpeg

 

Can we buy this version??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DesPaIR said:

 

Can we buy this version??

Yep……

Actually the acrylic shop is no longer in service. So I built this to replace the acrylic one.

The price est. will be here a bit while later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Swung Huang Good job! I am happy to see you are going to manufacture adapters for everyone. I will not be able to do that, my adapter works but my motherboard died (not caused by adapter, just one of the mosfets for bios shorted). So even if I can manufacture them I have no way to test it so I decided to buy new PC and leave it all behind. I think I will post all of my desings if anyone is interested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Zakyn said:

@Swung Huang Good job! I am happy to see you are going to manufacture adapters for everyone. I will not be able to do that, my adapter works but my motherboard died (not caused by adapter, just one of the mosfets for bios shorted). So even if I can manufacture them I have no way to test it so I decided to buy new PC and leave it all behind. I think I will post all of my desings if anyone is interested. 

I would be interested in the design !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

For y400/500, external monitor is required.

I using @gerald adapter and don't using external monitor. Picture on internal display. Just insert HDMI monitor emulator in eGPU HDMI port and system will see "virtual" display. Then i can move any window on that monitor.

Edited by rusTORK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

I using @gerald adapter and don't using external monitor. Picture on internal display. Just insert HDMI monitor emulator in eGPU HDMI port and system will see "virtual" display. Then i can move any window on that monitor.

But how to let the internal display driven by the eGPU? As far as I know, in this case, the internal screen is still driven by internal GPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

As far as I know, in this case, the internal screen is still driven by internal GPU.

Yes, dGPU must be active. Signal go like this: eGPU => dGPU => Internal Display.

 

I tested when dGPU was disabled, but got lower results in benchmarks.

 

5 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

But how to let the internal display driven by the eGPU?

On Y500 it's impossible. But current situation allow to see picture and don't spent money on external monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

Yes, dGPU must be active. Signal go like this: eGPU => dGPU => Internal Display.

 

I tested when dGPU was disabled, but got lower results in benchmarks.

 

On Y500 it's impossible. But current situation allow to see picture and don't spent money on external monitor.

So you mean you just move a windowed game from the dummy display to the internal one? But that’s not a universal solution to every game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

So you mean you just move a windowed game from the dummy display to the internal one?

Yes, but sometime game start on internal (without switching primary display via settings) and working with eGPU. Maybe windows was optimized - i don't know. I got this situation with Rage 2. I installed special software and added fast keys to switch active window between monitors (Ctrl + left arrow and Ctrl + right arrow). It's working for most applications.

 

11 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

But that’s not a universal solution to every game?

Sure it's not. It's depends how application was optimized for multimonitor configuration. Also, some applications don't work in Full screen mode, only in windowed + borderless.

Edited by rusTORK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zakyn said:

Good job! I am happy to see you are going to manufacture adapters for everyone. I will not be able to do that, my adapter works but my motherboard died (not caused by adapter, just one of the mosfets for bios shorted). So even if I can manufacture them I have no way to test it so I decided to buy new PC and leave it all behind. I think I will post all of my desings if anyone is interested. 

It would be nice if you share them.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zakyn said:

@Swung Huang Good job! I am happy to see you are going to manufacture adapters for everyone. I will not be able to do that, my adapter works but my motherboard died (not caused by adapter, just one of the mosfets for bios shorted). So even if I can manufacture them I have no way to test it so I decided to buy new PC and leave it all behind. I think I will post all of my desings if anyone is interested. 

I would be grateful for your pcb layout, can you please send me a link via pm?

Edited by gpu7990

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Swung Huang, I am a linux user, mainly using ubuntu based system, can you help me to test under ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with nvidia driver 410 and CUDA 10 installed, can the eGPU still works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jxfong2 said:

@Swung Huang, I am a linux user, mainly using ubuntu based system, can you help me to test under ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with nvidia driver 410 and CUDA 10 installed, can the eGPU still works?

It seems that my GT430 was died. I’ll try to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 11:04 PM, jxfong2 said:

@Swung Huang, I am a linux user, mainly using ubuntu based system, can you help me to test under ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with nvidia driver 410 and CUDA 10 installed, can the eGPU still works?

This does not entirely answer your question, yet on my Ubuntu system (Kubuntu 19.04, Vega 56 graphics card, external monitor, Mesa video drivers) Gerald's card (the revised version which allows AMD GPUs to be used without replacing the BIOS) works perfectly. I had less luck with Manjaro, which caused the system to slow down if only the external monitor was used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 6/19/2019 at 12:08 PM, Swung Huang said:

AMD cards can run on y410p/510p with stock BIOS 

 

Let me get this straight: you can use AMD cards with stock BIOS but you need an external monitor? and you can use the internal monitor with an nVidia eGPU but then you have to mod the BIOS?

 

BTW got prices for the 3D printed version? I rather have space for a 3.5 drive since those are faster, bigger and since I need a PSU for the graphics card I can power a 3.5 HDD too.

 

Could be a slot on the other side of the GPU instead of under it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Drozof said:

 

 

Let me get this straight: you can use AMD cards with stock BIOS but you need an external monitor? and you can use the internal monitor with an nVidia eGPU but then you have to mod the BIOS?

 

BTW got prices for the 3D printed version? I rather have space for a 3.5 drive since those are faster, bigger and since I need a PSU for the graphics card I can power a 3.5 HDD too.

 

Could be a slot on the other side of the GPU instead of under it.

                                     |  Custom BIOS Needed?   |.           Internal monitor support.     |      

Y400/500      | AMD    |                  Y                         |.                    N.                                    |

                       |Nvidia. |                  Y                         |.                    N.                                    |

Y410p/510p  |AMD   |                 N                         | Should work, not tested(XConnect)|

                       | Nvidia|                 Y                          |.                     Y,(Optimus).                  |

54 minutes ago, Drozof said:

 

 

Let me get this straight: you can use AMD cards with stock BIOS but you need an external monitor? and you can use the internal monitor with an nVidia eGPU but then you have to mod the BIOS?

 

BTW got prices for the 3D printed version? I rather have space for a 3.5 drive since those are faster, bigger and since I need a PSU for the graphics card I can power a 3.5 HDD too.

 

Could be a slot on the other side of the GPU instead of under it.

3D printed version is 40$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swung Huang said:

3D printed version is 40$

Custom color? =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rusTORK said:

Custom color? =).

Just tell me the color you need in email. I have 4 white ones and 1 teal one. If you want them,I will ship them sooner.

Every color other than white will cost $5 more.

Edited by Swung Huang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

Just tell me the color you need in email. I have 4 white ones and 1 teal one. If you want them,I will ship them sooner.

Every color other than white will cost $5 more.

I don't want to order, since i have plans to sell my Y500 (but maybe i will get Y510p just for testing). I just thought it will be nice to offer people wide options in color.

 

My personal opinion that black will fit best laptop color. But who knows, maybe someone want it to fit GPU color. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone got information about Power brick compatibility between Y500 (i got 170W model) and Y510p (130W model)?

 

I want to buy Y510p, but it’s have got 130W model.

 

P.S. I know that SLI versions of laptop have got better power brick, but is it really matter with Ultrabay adapter and ePSU and eGPU?

Edited by rusTORK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By sam@83
      Hello !
      I tried a tutorial on the forum to remove the supervisor password on a X260 thinkpad but the winbond 25Q128FVPQ chip is not recognized with the programmer CH341A and ASprogramer (does not detect automatically and not manually). Plugged into the motherboard with a soic8.

      Can you help me with detection?
      Can I find the password with the software or do I have to write it?
       
      Thank you so much !!!
    • By Donz7733
      Hi
       
      Currently I am using Nvidia 376.44 version for SLI functionality. On trying to install any higher version , SLI wont function & only 1 card works.
       
      if anyone is using higher version Than the one mentioned above for SLI, please let me know
       
      Thank You
    • By Cubitci
      To install the unlocked bios, I prepared and booted a freedos usb. I start the installation by typing flash.bat but every time I get the following error: Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash Access. Please contact the target System BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Registers.
      How can i solve this problem ?
    • By arifhsn
      https://www.sendspace.com/file/0zjk9f
       
      please help i can't access my g5070's advanced menu
    • By raqall
      Hi!

      I would love to have my BIOS modded to disable the wireless whitelist.
      I tried to do it myself (dump BIOS from chip, disassemble, locate the reference to the error message "Unauthorized Wireless network card is plugged in..." memory address and modify the condition in the binary file so not to "land" in the infinite loop) but I couldn't dig to anything meaningful I could easily change.

      Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad S440 (TYPE 20BB-S00400)
      BIOS version: 73ET71WW (1.71)
      Original WiFi/BT card: Intel Wireless-N 7260 (7260HMW BN) (vendor: 0x8086, device: 0x08B2, subdevice: 0x4262)
      Target WiFi/BT card: Broadcom BCM94352HMB (I haven't received it yet, waiting for delivery)

      Manufacturer BIOS download: bootable ISO, updater for Windows
      My BIOS dump (using CH341A SPI Programmer under Linux): http://www.mediafire.com/file/mn0gfr9ext7yqrn/S440_73ET71WW.bin/file
       
      Thanks!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.