Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

No ideas here, but I'm still not up and running as I would now need to look at selling my Nvidia card and buying AMD.  Wondering if Gerald has any ideas - back in April he mentioned that both GPU vendors are supported - can you let us know which card you might have tested with that will help us narrow down a solution.  

On 7/4/2016 at 4:14 PM, Tesla said:

... as I've read on some chinese website, if you flash v1.05, there is a good chance to get it working, since someone used that version to connect 755m ultrabay to a 750m laptop.

unfortunately, v1.05 is nowhere to be found :(

@Andrew54, you could try looking for bios v1.05 again. It will probably work, but v1.05 might be impossible to find.

Edit: Make sure you backup your bios if you do find it.

Edited by ManyStrongWords

So I found the link to register on that site.

http://u.it168.com/Register/

You can use 10-minute mail for the email address, but it looks like you need a phone number for the authentication code.

Does anyone know of a 10-minute phone? lol

I have tested the adapter with a R9 Nano. Technically there is nor reason why Nvidia GPUs does not work. It must be blocked by the BIOS. I have tried to switch on the PSU during powerup (after the BIOS boot). In this case Win10 starts normally but does not recognize the GPU. It seems BIOS switch off the PCIe lanes if no device is responsing.

I've tried several of these online sms numbers to register for the it168.com website, but no luck.  According to a friend, if someone has a qq.com login (similar to facebook I think), then it should be possible to login with that.  If anyone has a friend in China or with a qq.com account, it would be amazing if you could download those four files and upload somewhere else!  

http://ideapad.it168.com/thread-5599091-1-1.html

Oh, that's a shame. I can get to to the qq screen where it asks to use the qq smartphone app to scan the QR code to login. Didn't manage to create the qq account though. Almost learned Chinese in the process.

I created a post on a Chinese subreddit asking if anyone can create a login and help, but no luck yet.

Well done Yellowzelo, and a moment of excitement! v1.05 installed successfully, but with the adapter it boots to a black screen with the following error (spelling mistake included)

Second vga module is not suitable to this produce.  Power off and remove it. 

@yellowzelo thanks for the upload.

I'll give it a try and see how it goes with nvidia cards.

Update:

I've got the same symptoms that @Andrew54 got.

Adapter connected, no gpu: laptop boots to win10 successfully.

Adapter connected, w/ nvidia gpu:  boots to this error msg "Second Vga module is not suitable to this produce. Power off and remove it"

Hot plugging the gpu did not work.

Edited by Tesla

@ManyStrongWords me either, i dont think slv7 mod will work because basically his mod works with mpcie which is connected to the south bridge, while the PCI-E interface on the ultrabay is connected directly to the north bridge.

300px-Chipset_schematic.svg.png

I've also contacted an experienced bios modder and asked him about it, his response was:

2 hours ago, Klem said:

Hi!

Unfortunately I can't help you in this case. I think that in this laptop, on the motherboard soldered hardware Nvidia SLI bridge, when you connect ATI card, sli bridge will ignored, but if you connect any NVIDIA cards, sli technology will try to enable, but get error because mobile card and desktop card is too different. 

and it makes sense. so I guess AMD is the way to go.

I'll probably wait for the rx 480 or might get r9 390x.

AMD it is then.

It looks like the ASUS STRIX RX 480 pulls almost 0 watts from the PCIE.

http://videocardz.com/62392/asus-shows-off-radeon-rx-480-strix-and-rx-480-dual

The 750M draws between 35-40 watts through the PCIE which is why my reference RX 480 didn't get enough power and just shut off.

I don't know what the power draw from other AIB cards are yet. If they got the power draw down to 60 watts, it will probably still work.

Be sure to check what the power draw from the PCIE is before you buy an AMD card.

EDIT:

@gerald Does the adapter's PCIE lane draw power from the laptop or power supply?

@ManyStrongWords Gerald's mentioned it previously that his adapter only takes 3.3v and ground lanes from the pcie and the power is supplied from the 24-pin ATX connector.

the 3v3 lanes can carry up to 3A and that translates to 9.9W. In case of the reference RX 480 (before they patched it with the new driver), the card pulled an avarage of 4W(with few spikes to 7W) from the pcie lanes which is within spec. however the 12v lanes power draw was the one out of specs drawing.

So if you think about it, it is still odd that even back then with your rx480, it shouldn't be a problem for the laptop and there is no reason for the crashes that you've experienced under load. my guesstemation is that your power supply couldn't handle the power draw from the 12v line on 24 pins ATX connector; or my second guess which is very unlikely to be the reason is I've noticed there is an smd voltage regulator mounted on the adapter itself, perhaps that one failed to deliver the power needed for the card.

after all, only Gerald can say for sure since he is the mind behind the adapter.

the Asus Strix sounds very compelling with its advertised 0W power draw from the pcie. also they've announced the Sapphire RX480 Nitro+

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-480,32306.html#xtor=RSS-100

but yeah as you said before, we should wait for the benchmarks and see the power draw specs before buying it.

@Tesla: You are right. The adapter uses no supply from the laptop. Te whole power is taken from the external PSU. The crashes look like a power supply problem. Be careful with the power ratings of PSU. Sometimes PSUs can't support the rated power on all different voltages. The adapter needs only 3V3 and the GPU 12V.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tesla: I have checked the schematics of the mainboard. All PCIe lanes are connected directly from the main processor to the mGPU (GTX) and to the Ultrabay adapter. So there is no reason why the external GPU should not work. It must be a BIOS whitelist which blocks nvidia cards.

PCIe.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• Brian pinned this topic