Jump to content
gerald

Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, manolis said:

Hello, since you are new member i can't send you either pm,  https://ufile.io/z1yg5, the shematics from gerald, also note that you will need ultrabay adapters, (in my case i had ordered them but unfotunatelly the coustoms asked for extra 100euros i am from greecce, so i rejected the package, i had ordered 7 pieces , and thus i abandoned the project, however you're from states as i see so you wont have coustoms. If someone will create those adapters will gladly buy for me). Also you'll need the power pin adapter for power supply, and some transistors, resistors, capacitors, all these can be found if you google the product codes from the schematics, so i wish you good luck.

Why power pin adaptor is needed? Can we just simply connect the power cable from PSU to eGPU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, jxfong2 said:

Why power pin adaptor is needed? Can we just simply connect the power cable from PSU to eGPU?

I think @Gerald talk something about it. I guess eGPU can't get power from Ultrabay (~75W via PCIe slot) and laptop board can't provide such power. SO, ePSU power eGPU from both sides: PCIe slot on adapter and PCIe power connectors.

 

P.S. I have no information how much power got second GeForce GT 650M via Ultrabay.

Edited by rusTORK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

I think @Gerald talk something about it. I guess eGPU can't get power from Ultrabay (~75W via PCIe slot) and laptop board can't provide such power. SO, ePSU power eGPU from both sides: PCIe slot on adapter and PCIe power connectors.

 

P.S. I have no information how much power got second GeForce GT 650M via Ultrabay.

Sorry, to make it clear I mean plug in the cables from ePSU to eGPU directly without power pin adaptor. This is because I am planning to use GTX 1080 TI and it needs 8+6 pins, those sample in previous pages only has 8 pins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jxfong2 said:

Sorry, to make it clear I mean plug in the cables from ePSU to eGPU directly without power pin adaptor. This is because I am planning to use GTX 1080 TI and it needs 8+6 pins, those sample in previous pages only has 8 pins.

Oh, your talk about diffirent design... My mistake. Probably in you case (with GTX 1080 Ti) you better to stick to original design.

 

But i think it do same job - powering PCIe slot.

 

I have got GTX 1080 Ti and i connected both 20-pins (in adapter) and 8+6 pins (in eGPU). Everything worked fine.

Edited by rusTORK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 6:12 AM, manolis said:

Hello, since you are new member i can't send you either pm,  https://ufile.io/z1yg5, the shematics from gerald, also note that you will need ultrabay adapters, (in my case i had ordered them but unfotunatelly the coustoms asked for extra 100euros i am from greecce, so i rejected the package, i had ordered 7 pieces , and thus i abandoned the project, however you're from states as i see so you wont have coustoms. If someone will create those adapters will gladly buy for me). Also you'll need the power pin adapter for power supply, and some transistors, resistors, capacitors, all these can be found if you google the product codes from the schematics, so i wish you good luck.

 

Awesome, Thanks for the files, will keep you posted about the progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, new member here. Came across this site and topic by happenstance as I was considering to either upgrade or make a switch from my Y500. Decided to go for the former and am really amazed by what has been done regarding Ultrabay. I actually have not done any upgrades or modifications to this system at all, up until now when I replaced the 16 GB SSD. Interested to see the progress on the adapters here on the forums, as I most likely will not try to build one myself.

 

Now, to the topic at hand. Aside from graphics upgrades, I would also like to replace the WiFi card. Therefore I went ahead (despite not being eGPU ready) and flashed the BIOS with the mod provided by @High_Voltage:

On 3/24/2018 at 8:31 PM, High_Voltage said:

Hi everyone!

 

Here's the experimental mod for Y400/Y500: https://mega.nz/#!qBYE0BLa!Nos2gBVE8-_eOX8O5bSyxSEjgOQ154QSu4BWnk6C3qc

 

It is also based on Svl7's work and should enable both AMD and Nvidia eGPUs for Y400/Y500. So far, @Swung Huang has successfully tested it with GTX 1070 on his Y400, but I'd be grateful if more people verified that it works for them. Especially, would be interesting to hear whether AMD cards work too.

 

If everything is good, I'll create the separate topic for this one too.

 

-High_Voltage

 

It seems to run fine, but something I noticed is that with the current WiFi card, once bluetooth is turned off it will not resume until system reboot. At least this is the case with my setup in Ubuntu 18.10. Reflashing BIOS to the backup I took prior to flashing with the mod solves the issue. Any thoughts on this? Have not purchased a new WiFi card yet, so I do not know if this issue persists with another card.

 

Sorry for going off topic, but I did not see a separate thread for the BIOS mod in question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really interesting! The Y500 mod has not received much testing at all and is only used by a couple of people at the moment. I think this is because of the adapter being initially advertised as not compatible with the y500 series.

 

Regardless, the whitelist removal component of this mod is an exact copy of the svl7's original work for the y500, therefore it'd be a good idea to check his thread for similar issues. 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems there were similar issues with no real solution, even after switching for another WiFi card. Will personally continue to check on this.

 

Returning to topic, I would gladly report back on the mod whenever I get a hold of an adapter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have the schematics for the 2199015-1 connector that can be imported to kiCad or any equivalent tool. It would be of great help if you can share the file. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DesPaIR said:

Does anyone have the schematics for the 2199015-1 connector that can be imported to kiCad or any equivalent tool. It would be of great help if you can share the file. 

 

Here's a schematic symbol and a footprint for KiCAD I've designed for my version of the adapter:

https://mega.nz/#!DIxnzA6B!cvIvt-ZVpfJ3FMkgPbybyGcQviCzwBhV4VY2x-eXk5A

 

Speaking of my ultrabay project, it's kind of stalled right now as my Y510p has been malfunctioning in a very strange way for a month or so, and I started to consider a PC build. Nevertheless, I'll still finish it at some point.

 

P.S. I haven't yet ordered any PCBs with this footprint, so it is unknown whether it has got any mistakes.

Edited by High_Voltage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

 

Here's a schematic symbol and a footprint for KiCAD I've designed for my version of the adapter:

https://mega.nz/#!DIxnzA6B!cvIvt-ZVpfJ3FMkgPbybyGcQviCzwBhV4VY2x-eXk5A

 

Speaking of my ultrabay project, it's kind of stalled right now as my Y510p has been malfunctioning in a very strange way for a month or so, and I started to consider a PC build. Nevertheless, I'll still finish it at some point.

 

P.S. I haven't yet ordered any PCBs with this footprint, so it is unknown whether it has got any mistakes.

 

Thanks @High_Voltage it really helps, will start working on it and let you know if it needs any updates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My adapter is soldered and currently not working. PSU switch is working, but GPU is not detected (PC working properly). I guess it may be some things which I made variable because the was difference between Lenovo's and gerald's scheme (like PWR_GOOD and PRSNT#1 pins).  I will try some combinations and do some measurements, hope I it will be it. 

Edit: Current configuration is by gerald's scheme.

Edited by Zakyn
  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 2:36 PM, Zakyn said:

My adapter is soldered and currently not working. PSU switch is working, but GPU is not detected (PC working properly). I guess it may be some things which I made variable because the was difference between Lenovo's and gerald's scheme (like PWR_GOOD and PRSNT#1 pins).  I will try some combinations and do some measurements, hope I it will be it. 

Edit: Current configuration is by gerald's scheme.

Great !

 

nice progress. Hope you will figure out the solution 

 

Good Job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys little update:
My adapter still not working and I don't know how to find a problem.


I've tried @gerald's pins for PWRGOOD and that one in Lenovo schema nothing worked.
I am using 9800GTX for test run after normal boot PSU is switched on, but GPU is not detected and not giving any ouput.
Differential pairs are same lenght... Signals connected according to @gerald's scheme (without some resistors, which @High_Voltage suggested not to use).

Not sure what to try next. Maybe @High_Voltage have some sugestions.
 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zakyn said:

Hi guys little update:
My adapter still not working and I don't know how to find a problem.


I've tried @gerald's pins for PWRGOOD and that one in Lenovo schema nothing worked.
I am using 9800GTX for test run after normal boot PSU is switched on, but GPU is not detected and not giving any ouput.
Differential pairs are same lenght... Signals connected according to @gerald's scheme (without some resistors, which @High_Voltage suggested not to use).

Not sure what to try next. Maybe @High_Voltage have some sugestions.
 


 

 

Do you have a schematic of what you've built?

 

Double-check the pinout of pcie and whether all the signals are routed correctly. Check whether your Reset signal is ok. 

 

Also, did you use a high speed PCB and if you did, did you calculate RF impedance of the differential pairs correctly? I think it needs 100 Ohms per pair. Anyway, if the issue was in signal integrity, I would at least expect the card to be detected, so the problem is somewhere else... 

 

Also, are both 12v and 3v correctly supplied to the card's pcie slot? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, High_Voltage said:

 

Do you have a schematic of what you've built?

 

Double-check the pinout of pcie and whether all the signals are routed correctly. Check whether your Reset signal is ok. 

 

Also, did you use a high speed PCB and if you did, did you calculate RF impedance of the differential pairs correctly? I think it needs 100 Ohms per pair. Anyway, if the issue was in signal integrity, I would at least expect the card to be detected, so the problem is somewhere else... 

 

Also, are both 12v and 3v correctly supplied to the card's pcie slot? 

Here is my schematic. 
Zakyn_eGPU.pdf

I will check 12v and 3v power supply and re-check RESET signal.  I didnt calculate RF impedance (that's beyond my knowledge - shamefully), but as you wrote if it was only about signal integrity I think card would be detected at least.

PS: Ultrabay connector has two pin numbers: one as in datasheet and second for Lenovo y510p schema (for easier orientation).

Edited by Zakyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The schematic looks good. I can't see any mistakes. Have a look at your PCB and make sure everything is routed correctly. One pitfall I could think of is the footprint for eGPU PCI-E connector. When you look at it from the top, with that smaller section facing up, the B will be on your left, and the A - on your right, which is counter-intuitive when compared to the schematic symbol.

 

Another question is whether you've actually tested that GPU with another computer to verify that it works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, High_Voltage said:

The schematic looks good. I can't see any mistakes. Have a look at your PCB and make sure everything is routed correctly. One pitfall I could think of is the footprint for eGPU PCI-E connector. When you look at it from the top, with that smaller section facing up, the B will be on your left, and the A - on your right, which is counter-intuitive when compared to the schematic symbol.

 

Another question is whether you've actually tested that GPU with another computer to verify that it works?

I think I have the footprint right, yes its other way than on schematic. But I draw it as it was in datasheet. 

Ye it came to my mind if it can be bad GPU. My friend told it work but guess I need to test it somewhere. I dont have any desktop at home.image.thumb.png.2140565393e72e5061f00442366765f2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I was talking about the connector that the gpu is inserted into, not the ultrabay one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Oh, I was talking about the connector that the gpu is inserted into, not the ultrabay one. 

Sorry. Yes I have checked that already, if signals really goes to right side and pin of connector. Now I will take a look on that GPU. Thank you very much for all of your advices. I will post some update as soon as I find some desktop where I can put my GPU. 

Edited by Zakyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having the cable replaced and got a new design on laptop side.

Now running @ PCIe 3.0 x8 stable.

(Will get these things for sale, but not now.

0D45B4A8-41E5-4D23-9FA2-68ACE122FB7B.jpeg

47BAB08D-C0EE-4CCB-9013-3EA3325CD04A.jpeg

E65149F9-355D-4699-9BA2-82FA8BDF9B12.jpeg

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

Having the cable replaced and got a new design on laptop side.

Now running @ PCIe 3.0 x8 stable.

(Will get these things for sale, but not now.

0D45B4A8-41E5-4D23-9FA2-68ACE122FB7B.jpeg

47BAB08D-C0EE-4CCB-9013-3EA3325CD04A.jpeg

E65149F9-355D-4699-9BA2-82FA8BDF9B12.jpeg

This is the best news and update for me in 2019, a lot thumbs up for this !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 8:49 PM, Swung Huang said:

Having the cable replaced and got a new design on laptop side.

Now running @ PCIe 3.0 x8 stable.

(Will get these things for sale, but not now.

0D45B4A8-41E5-4D23-9FA2-68ACE122FB7B.jpeg

47BAB08D-C0EE-4CCB-9013-3EA3325CD04A.jpeg

E65149F9-355D-4699-9BA2-82FA8BDF9B12.jpeg

i want one..haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 7:49 AM, Swung Huang said:

Having the cable replaced and got a new design on laptop side.

Now running @ PCIe 3.0 x8 stable.

(Will get these things for sale, but not now.

 

My hero!! <3

Take your time, focus on the important stuff in your life for now - there will be plenty of time in a few months to

 eFfmdb3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@swuang huang

 

I'll buy two when you are ready.

Edited by Jump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By can rx
      Hello to all dear visitors, 
       
      I have been using Lenovo y510p notebook for two years but in games I think my graphic card is inadequate. After that I've bought Mini PCI-e EXP GDC and attached it to where the wireless card socket is.  However because it has x1 speed its performance is too low. Even though on tests rx460's ranks is low than rx480, it has more performance.
       
      In x1 PCI-e port, the performance is too low and inefficient. On GPUz programme, use of memory controller is 20% but use of GPU is 100%. I mean, I've been hooked to the x1 speed.
       
      Components : EXP GDC version 8.0 +450w PSU + rx480
       
      I've read all pages about ultrabay, I want to buy and to share in forum.
       
      If anyone has ultrabay to PCI-e port, I want to buy. Please help.
       
      Thanks for everything.
    • By PrecastFlame
      Hi, I'm having problems trying to connect a GTX 750 Ti to my Lenovo T420 using the dock EXP GDC Beast (express card version).
      My laptop: Lenovo T420
      RAM: 8GB DDR3
      CPU: Intel Core i5 2520M
      GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000
       
      My problem is: if I plug the express card and I turn on the laptop it doesn't boot up and the screen becomes horrible, with coloured pixels and a sound like "bip-bip".
      If I try plugging the express card when the laptop is already turned on it sees the gpu, but if try installing the drivers I have to apply the modifies restarting the computer.
      I hope you understood my problem (I don't speak English very well).
      Please help me, It's making me crazy!
       
      EDIT: I didn't say that if I plug the express card when the pc is already turned on, in the device menager there is "Error 12" on the gtx 750 ti
    • By Kel
      I got the exp gdc beast 8.5 got all the connections right... laptop boots up... fans turn on the gpu.... device manager detects gtx 1060 with a “ ! “ in a yellow triangle. Now what to do.... i tried to do the bios mod.... but realised that i have 3.07 version. 
      Questions-
      1 is there any way to get this done without the mod?? 
      2 if mod is the only way... kindly help me with step by step instruction in laymans terms... i m not a techy... so i might not understand technical terms.... altho i am interested... but learning yet. Please help. 
    • By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo Y50-70, Lenovo Y70-70, Lenovo Z50-70, Lenovo Z70-70, Lenovo G50-70, Lenovo G70-70.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, or unlocked vbios for overclock NVIDIA card, then you can post your request in this thread. Also, if you have a problem with fan pulsating/clicking on any modified bios then you can post your request in this thread.
       
      The flashing procedure include two steps:
      1.  Flash main system bios.
      2.  Flash EC firmware.
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.