Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Hi all, I am a new student in AI field with limited EE and computer knowledge. Sorry if my question looks silly, does we simply have to open the computer case, remove the dvd drive (unscrew?) and then plug in this gerald adaptor to complete the hardware installation? Is there someone here who still has a way to buy neccessary component, willing to build a couple adaptors for sale? How much does this adaptor cost? Btw the design of the board + acrylic above is really nice. If someone can manufacture one like the above, i will 100% buy it, if the price isn't too high for me. XD

3 hours ago, jxfong2 said:

does we simply have to open the computer case, remove the dvd drive (unscrew?) and then plug in this gerald adaptor to complete the hardware installation?

To free up the slot which Gerald's adapter plugs into you would, indeed, need to remove the DVD drive, should you have one in your Y510p.

In addition to the adapter itself, you will also need a PSU able to provide your graphics card with sufficient power and, of course, the graphics card itself.

12 hours ago, Bos Maior said:

To free up the slot which Gerald's adapter plugs into you would, indeed, need to remove the DVD drive, should you have one in your Y510p.

In addition to the adapter itself, you will also need a PSU able to provide your graphics card with sufficient power and, of course, the graphics card itself.

TY for reply, so the current bottleneck of this project is the lack of components to build the adaptor I see... Hopefully some pro guys can still get some to make it for sale, or else rebuilding a new Desktop with good GPU will be too costly.

And I read from the previous page, if I understand it correctly nvdia cards above GTX 1070 (GTX 1070 TI, 1080, 1080 TI, RTX 2070, 2080,2080 TI) has the same performance as 1070 because of CPU bottleneck?

@jxfong2 That is completely incorrect, your gpu will work with its full speed. The cpu may hold it back when you compare to something like 8700k, But it wont be anything drastic as you described. Basic expectation is to have about 20-15% less in 1080p, 15-10%less in 1440p, and about 5%less in 2160p compared to topend cpu. So 2080ti will still give you its level of performance, it will not magicaly turn in to 1070.... People seem to have completly wrong idea about bottlnecks, you would have to pair 2080ti with something like core2duo to have its performance hammered so badly it would perform like 1070 or something like that,and mind you  4700mq is not there yet.

3 hours ago, jxfong2 said:

TY for reply, so the current bottleneck of this project is the lack of components to build the adaptor I see... Hopefully some pro guys can still get some to make it for sale, or else rebuilding a new Desktop with good GPU will be too costly.

And I read from the previous page, if I understand it correctly nvdia cards above GTX 1070 (GTX 1070 TI, 1080, 1080 TI, RTX 2070, 2080,2080 TI) has the same performance as 1070 because of CPU bottleneck?

Actually u are wrong.any work put on the egus should work with no compromises. People say there’s a bottleneck at cpu ‘cause most of games should not only require a good gpu but also a beefy cpu. But it’s not necessarily true and most of tasks can have their own preferences (like most of miners pair pentium/celerons with multiple 1080s. That’s because crypto mining doesn’t demand cpu a lot. As for your question, I’d say:your mileage may vary. Under different circumstances ,different cpu/gpu pair can perform completely different.it depends on your workflow.

you can learn more here.

Edited by Swung Huang
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Swung Huang  @Celestus

TY for replying, some silly questions here too:

1. Does we have to remove the wifi part etc and use an usb wifi etc to use this adaptor? Just read this somewhere from the internet.

2. Does the laptop gets powered up by the gpu power supply or we have to use 2 power supply with eGPU setup?

I will probably buy a RTX 2070 to run some deep learning training on GPU once I got the adaptor. The performance of GT 755M is really bad on training data, 50x slower than my classmate's laptop (GTX 1070 TI). Just ran an user benchtest and this is my result on Lenovo Y510P.

UserBenchmarks: Game 20%, Desk 46%, Work 33%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700MQ - 67%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 755M - 12.5%
HDD: Seagate Momentus 2.5" 1TB - 49.5%
RAM: Samsung M471B1G73QH0-YK0 1x8GB - 30.9%
MBD: Lenovo 20217

12.5% for GPU, nearly all PC beats me lol...

41 minutes ago, jxfong2 said:

@Swung Huang  @Celestus

TY for replying, some silly questions here too:

1. Does we have to remove the wifi part etc and use an usb wifi etc to use this adaptor? Just read this somewhere from the internet.

2. Does the laptop gets powered up by the gpu power supply or we have to use 2 power supply with eGPU setup?

I will probably buy a RTX 2070 to run some deep learning training on GPU once I got the adaptor. The performance of GT 755M is really bad on training data, 50x slower than my classmate's laptop (GTX 1070 TI). Just ran an user benchtest and this is my result on Lenovo Y510P.

UserBenchmarks: Game 20%, Desk 46%, Work 33%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700MQ - 67%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 755M - 12.5%
HDD: Seagate Momentus 2.5" 1TB - 49.5%
RAM: Samsung M471B1G73QH0-YK0 1x8GB - 30.9%
MBD: Lenovo 20217

12.5% for GPU, nearly all PC beats me lol...

no you don't need to remove wifi just plug the adapter to the sli/ultrabay slot, as for the supply clearly you will need external psu approx 600watts

@jxfong2 You'll need to power the laptop with its own power brick and the eGPU with a separate desktop power supply. Also, keep in mind that RTX2070 has not been tested with this adapter, so there's a chance it won't work.

@manolis Unfortunately, you can't use a regular SATA 2.5'' drive caddy for connecting to Ultrabay socket. The Ultrabay system doesn't use SATA connector inside the bay, but rather a separate high-speed PCI-e x8 socket located next to it. It is buying the plug part for this socket (cheap and in low quantities) that is a problem right now.

40 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

@jxfong2 You'll need to power the laptop with its own power brick and the eGPU with a separate desktop power supply. Also, keep in mind that RTX2070 has not been tested with this adapter, so there's a chance it won't work.

@manolis Unfortunately, you can't use a regular SATA 2.5'' drive caddy for connecting to Ultrabay socket. The Ultrabay system doesn't use SATA connector inside the bay, but rather a separate high-speed PCI-e x8 socket located next to it. It is buying the plug part for this socket (cheap and in low quantities) that is a problem right now.

ok thanks i understand, i will search further

1 hour ago, manolis said:

clearly you will need external psu approx 600watts

Too much watts for only one VGA. Only if transfer it later in desktop PC.

I am using 430W PSU with my GTX 1080 Ti. Just because i can’t find PSU with even lower watts and decent quality.

I wonder is it possible for me to buy one adaptor before year 2019, or how long I need to wait for the next batch of adaptors...

For the time being, is there anyone who can access to the limited materials, and willing to manufacture a few copies of the adaptor to sell on ebay?

Usually i don't share information for personal use, but i can make an exception.

There is company called- Supermicro and they have pretty a lot diffirent motherboards. I founded one interesting motherboard for Lenovo Y500 - X9SCV-QV4.

Supermicro_X9SCV-QV4.thumb.png.310ae472decd9a0533d9eedd1593fdbc.png

It's have got:

1. Intel 2nd or 3rd Gen Core i7/i5/i3 supported; socket G2 (rPGA 988B);

2. Up to 16GB DDR3 1066/1333/1600MHz Non-ECC SODIMMs;

3. 1x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot (Gen 3 with 3rd generation CPU);

4. LVDS connector onboard (may be tricky to connect laptop display, need compare pins).

It's more expensive, but an alternative. Also, i have no idea about GTX 10xx series support and desktop CPU heatsink support. Need to chat a lot with Supermicro support, but it's real product.

Update:

I got respond from Supermicro and this motherboard don't support i7-3630QM since Supermicro used Intel QM67 chipset.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/QM67_Express.html

Options from ASRock:

ASRock IMB-170-V (for Lenovo Y500, PCI-E x16 Gen 2, but maybe will work as Gen 3?)

ASRock IMB-180 (for lenovo Y510p, but no data about PCI-E x16 generation at all).

Edited by rusTORK

5 hours ago, rusTORK said:

Usually i don't share information for personal use, but i can make an exception.

There is company called- Supermicro and they have pretty a lot diffirent motherboards. I founded one interesting motherboard for Lenovo Y500 - X9SCV-QV4.

Supermicro_X9SCV-QV4.thumb.png.310ae472decd9a0533d9eedd1593fdbc.png

It's have got:

1. Intel 2nd or 3rd Gen Core i7/i5/i3 supported; socket G2 (rPGA 988B);

2. Up to 16GB DDR3 1066/1333/1600MHz Non-ECC SODIMMs;

3. 1x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot (Gen 3 with 3rd generation CPU);

4. LVDS connector onboard (may be tricky to connect laptop display, need compare pins).

It's more expensive, but an alternative. Also, i have no idea about GTX 10xx series support and desktop CPU heatsink support. Need to chat a lot with Supermicro support, but it's real product.

Options from ASRock:

ASRock IMB-170-V (for Lenovo Y500, PCI-E x16 Gen 2, but maybe will work as Gen 3?)

ASRock IMB-180 (for lenovo Y510p, but no data about PCI-E x16 generation at all).

These are desktop boards using PGA988 though. Just some off-the-shelf boards, not something special and not interchangeable with the motherboard inside the laptop...

They should be compatible with all kinds of GPUs though (for they are retail boards and having nothing like smbus restriction nonsense 

Edited by Swung Huang

38 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

These are desktop boards using PGA988 though. Just some off-the-shelf boards, not something special and not interchangeable with the motherboard inside the laptop...

Yep, my idea was just transfer as much laptop hardware in desktop case as possible. And this is interesting option. I even double check compatibility of Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX form factors and they are compatible with my very old pc case Thermaltake Soprano.

One thing i currently don't understand... how motherboard is powered... only from square 4-pin? I don't think PSU even start. Main power usually is 20-24 pin.

I shoot Supermicro support few questions anyway.

53 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

Yep, my idea was just transfer as much laptop hardware in desktop case as possible. And this is interesting option. I even double check compatibility of Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX form factors and they are compatible with my very old pc case Thermaltake Soprano.

One thing i currently don't understand... how motherboard is powered... only from square 4-pin? I don't think PSU even start. Main power usually is 20-24 pin.

I shoot Supermicro support few questions anyway.

…actually they are usually directly powered by dc power plugged at the rear io section.

well these are standard off-the-shelf boards and meets mATX/mITX standards.

btw if you intended to use like this,it’s possible to mod an cpu to lga115x and be installed as desktop cpus.(not reversible though.)

On 18/11/2018 at 8:55 PM, manolis said:

ok thanks i understand, i will search further

ok so here is my best result i got about pricing of pci-e x8 ultrabay connector, i contacted alibaba, taobao but they are expensive, here is the best i got here 4.4euros/piece they told me that shipping to europe is doable with shipping cost 18-49$ depending the method. In my opinion it's cheap, i would built myself the adapter but with limited knowledge and experience its very hard, for that i am waiting for the next badge, thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

well,sorry I made a mistake. PGA can’t be modded (for physical height) BGA can do the trick(47xxHQ, like 4712HQ 4722HQ

Yeah, i saw such mods. Linus posted video about it, but it was known before he founded it. It's interesting mod, but cost of CPU about the same as non-modded LGA2011 Xeon.

Actually i got two ways: rebuild laptop in desktop OR build desktop on old hardware (like LGA2011 + 8 or 12 cores Xeon). Problem with this - there are a lot CPUs, but motherboards are gone. Most of them are china custom made (like desktop board with server chip). it's working, but bad overclocking. Don't want ot deal with it. So, i am stuck.

7 hours ago, rusTORK said:

Yeah, i saw such mods. Linus posted video about it, but it was known before he founded it. It's interesting mod, but cost of CPU about the same as non-modded LGA2011 Xeon.

Actually i got two ways: rebuild laptop in desktop OR build desktop on old hardware (like LGA2011 + 8 or 12 cores Xeon). Problem with this - there are a lot CPUs, but motherboards are gone. Most of them are china custom made (like desktop board with server chip). it's working, but bad overclocking. Don't want ot deal with it. So, i am stuck.

Well,these boards works fine. I’m actually Chinese and had got in touch with these guys who made these.They are using cheap chipsets (like h61/b75/b85 etc.)to make them work with 2011 cpus.(Those super cheap ones.)

Sth like huanan board can be trusted. They are provided with overlocking options.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:20 PM, manolis said:

ok so here is my best result i got about pricing of pci-e x8 ultrabay connector, i contacted alibaba, taobao but they are expensive, here is the best i got here 4.4euros/piece they told me that shipping to europe is doable with shipping cost 18-49$ depending the method. In my opinion it's cheap, i would built myself the adapter but with limited knowledge and experience its very hard, for that i am waiting for the next badge, thanks.

This ^^

For those skilled enough to manufacture some adaptors, manolis had posted a link for the neccessary component up there. Hopefully we will see the next batch of adaptor soon, even better with a design like Swung Huang, his version is really cool.

• Thumbs Up 1