Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

44 minutes ago, Drozof said:

I had similar problems with a radeon on win7, what was your BSOD? irq_error?

Can't recall what error was exactly, but i have to edit official driver and add there device id. I wasn't that advanced user like now, but i forced it to work even that days. I sold it, added some money and bought Lenovo Y500.

The problem is not with the design. The problem is with finding where to buy those proprietary connectors for the ultrabay. If there is no way of getting them separately, people will have to desolder them from their own GPU modules and install them on blank PCBs, and this requires quite a lot of skill. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, High_Voltage said:

If there is no way of getting them separately, people will have to desolder them from their own GPU modules...

This people have to think twice before do it. I sold my GT 650M for almost 15% (~$75) of my GTX 1080Ti i bought for adapter.

Another way - just keep it and sell later with laptop itself with SLI instead of one weak GT 650M (especially Y500).

I posted link before on Ultrabay connector - there are still a lot of them left in the world. Should be possible to build at least 100 adapters. But you have to deal with managers of the stores to sell you small numbers of connectors. Another problem is international shipping.

Edited by rusTORK

7 hours ago, rusTORK said:

I posted link before on Ultrabay connector - there are still a lot of them left in the world. Should be possible to build at least 100 adapters. But you have to deal with managers of the stores to sell you small numbers of connectors. Another problem is international shipping.

I think it shouldn't be much of a problem for say @Swung Huang to manufacture and sell these adapters while sourcing the connectors locally in China. Especially because he seems to have already designed / reverse-engineered functional PCBs in several different arrangements (one-piece and cable-tied versions). Not sure what is currently stopping him from doing that. Possibly, the demand is not high enough. Although, if people here confirmed that they are ready to pay @gerald's original price for the thing, this could well be a different story...

1 hour ago, Pushendu said:

Can anyone tell me if this can be used to work on?

You don't seem to understand. The problem lies nor in the PCI-E socket of the adapter, neither in the PCB manufacturing costs. It is the bit that connects to the laptop's motherboard INSIDE the ultrabay slot, that is utilizing a custom proprietary connector.

If one could find a place to purchase these connectors easily, the rest is quite straightforward and (relatively) cheap. One could potentially even design a small PCB with the connector to go inside ultrabay slot, which would break it out into a bunch of high-frequency biaxial cables that you can then solder directly to the PCI-E socket pins on the back of one of those small PCI-E boards you've linked.

Please make and hold onto 2 adapters for me with these. I will buy 2 of them.

TE are selling the connectors currently 1 at a time costs $8.61.

They have 600 connectors currently left in stock which are selling for $5.32 if you buy as a batch of 500 or more.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-2199015-1.html#pdp-docs-features

the link below shows 1 is the minimum you can buy in a batch of 1

https://www.newark.com/amp-te-connectivity/2199015-1/plug-assy-for-0-635-bay-conn/dp/75AC7373?csp=WT.z_cid=sp_NEWARKELEMENT14_20120425_buyNow&TE_cid=NEWARKELEMENT14-1541644208528&CMP=AFC-TE

These are listed as being obsolescent so please get them and make some more adapters.

Well, I’m sorry for my absence.

Long story short, I’m really busy working for my University entrance exam and having no time dealing with these things. And I’m gonna find out how to deliver an international parcel...Ehhhh I haven’t did that before and have no time to figure out how to do this.

I really don’t want to disappoint you guys, but I won’t be free until late June next year. I wonder how many people still want these adapters at that moment. Maybe I’ll find a way to post an international delivery. But that won’t happen before the time I mentioned before.

sorry guys.

If anything changes I will let you know.

Edited by Swung Huang

Bump.
Is this of any help at all?
https://www.banggood.in/Mini-PCI-E-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1011222.html?cur_warehouse=CN

I have a Hope on this.
Additionally, i dont use wifi on my laptop, i use LAN Cable, and my laptop bottom cover is permanently removed for cooling purpose.
Any help will be great, thanks

Edited by Pushendu

@Swung Huang Please take your time, your life is much more important than this. I'm sure some of us will easily wait 'till June (especially because by then the RTX cards will drop in price).

@Pushendu This thing will work on many laptops, including the Y510P (probably, you'll have to flash a version of BIOS with white list removed). The problem with these is that they only give you PCI-E x1, whereas the Ultrabay adapter is capable of PCI-E x8.

56 minutes ago, Pushendu said:

Is this of any help at all? Additionally, i dont use wifi on my laptop, i use LAN Cable, and my laptop bottom cover is permanently removed for cooling purpose.

EXP GDC is tested and working solution for many laptops, just like @High_Voltage said. But due to it's technology it's limitation is amount of PCI-E speed - only x1. Even if solder there ultrabay connector - it still be X1.

@gerald adapter is so unique that it's ONLY ONE in the market have got PCI-E x8 speed (well... for only 4 laptops, but still). I know about MSI Shadow, but it's for only 1 laptop. VERY limited product.

If you looking for solution right now - look for ADT solutions (like ADT R3G or ADT R43SL), but i have no idea how to connect them to laptop. Via SATA bus? It's probably busy with you SSD now. So, it's also have problems, but nothing un-solvable. But again, max PCI-E speed you can get from ADT - x4.

Look for Build Guides at eGPU forum. There are a lot such examples with tests.

But for a record - Lenovo Y510p there at 2nd place and Y500 at 7th place. Just because of gerald adapter. Both jumped easy in top 10.

30 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

@rusTORK The ADT solutions implement PCI-E x4 by making use of the PCI-E lines available in the m.2 NVMe connectors. Although Y510p does have an m.2 port, it does not support NVMe and therefore doesn't have any PCI-E lines in there.

Yeah, my bad... Y500 have got mSATA, not M.2 NVMe. That's how my SSD connected.

Dead end here, except someone make Ultrabay-to-M.2 NVMe adapter. =))) And then connect adapter in adapter.

I have two of this connectors. All New and unsoldered.

Easily got them here: https://www.arrow.com/en/products/2199015-1/te-connectivity Nice and fast shipping.

Bought them with the idea of making one of this adapters for my y510p. Asked Gerald for some advice via pm but he never answered back.

Was wondering if there's a way to solder it to a cable like this : https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZDIY-FAB-PCI-Express-PCIe3-0-16x-Flexible-Cable-Card-Extension-Port-Adapter/223213791263?epid=4012486079&hash=item33f894281f:g:8AIAAOSwhZ5b24k9:rk:30:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=3&LH_BIN=1

Edited by feisar
incorrect link/device

1 hour ago, High_Voltage said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these connectors are for the wrong side (this would be the same as the one on the motherboard, not the one on the ultrabay device).

Oh sorry, I meant the 2199015-1. Link fixed :)

20181108_204912_resize.jpg

11 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

The ADT solutions implement PCI-E x4 by making use of the PCI-E lines available in the m.2 NVMe connectors.

Haha I’m actually using ADT cables for my wire-daughterboard solution.(using 2 PCIe x4 cables) ADT guys are friendly and supports me doing this.