Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Please someone watch this video because im not sure anymore if i am retarded and still fck something up even after like the 8th try 

or im unlucky as always and my card is just simply not compatible with this egpu solution

EDIT: also this gpu is GP104 and not GP106 like the usual 1060s

Edited by balint234

5 hours ago, balint234 said:

Please someone watch this video because im not sure anymore if i am retarded and still fck something up even after like the 8th try 

or im unlucky as always and my card is just simply not compatible with this egpu solution

EDIT: also this gpu is GP104 and not GP106 like the usual 1060s

I have encountered this kind of gpu and solved in my told way.if you still stuck on a 43, just perform another ddu and start over is always a good idea.

3 hours ago, balint234 said:

@High_Voltage

As the father of nvidia support. :’D

Any ideas?

First of all, I'd try getting an actual 8-pin connector. A 6-pin to 8-pin adapter should do the job. I can vaguely remember my friend getting some AMD gpu from MSI which would refuse to work with a 6-pin plug in the 8-pin port. (Not that it physically shouldn't work, but they're doing some additional detection on the port to ensure all 8 pins are present).

Then, I'd make sure the power supply is OK and all the ports are clean from dust and are connected together firmly. And only then I'd have another look at drivers and other software stuff.

After you do all the checks on hardware, it might be a good idea to try booting off something like an Ubuntu LiveCD and seeing whether it is possible to get the card to function with linux's drivers.

7 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

First of all, I'd try getting an actual 8-pin connector. A 6-pin to 8-pin adapter should do the job. I can vaguely remember my friend getting some AMD gpu from MSI which would refuse to work with a 6-pin plug in the 8-pin port. (Not that it physically shouldn't work, but they're doing some additional detection on the port to ensure all 8 pins are present).

Then, I'd make sure the power supply is OK and all the ports are clean from dust and are connected together firmly. And only then I'd have another look at drivers and other software stuff.

After you do all the checks on hardware, it might be a good idea to try booting off something like an Ubuntu LiveCD and seeing whether it is possible to get the card to function with linux's drivers.

This PSU was working perfectly with the Msi OCV1 gtx 1060 so there is a very minimal chance it being the problem. However that card required 6pin connector so i will definately try with an 8 pin as soon as i can get one.

(my psu actually has an 8 pin but i couldnt plug it in because the forms of the individual pins didnt match with the card. I tried both way although i was totally sure which is the right way. I even cut the connector to match the gpu connector. I could plug it in but the card didnt even started with it.)

@balint234If you cut connectors - it’s probably wrong move. Provide more data about you PSU (manufacturer, model). There few options possible with that connectors, like 6+2 pins and solid 8-pin. I didn’t hear anything about “another 8-pin” connector. Connectors in general designed to be “fool proof”, it’s mean it will be connected or will not fit.

Mabe even take pictures of you connectors.

Edited by rusTORK

1 hour ago, rusTORK said:

@balint234If you cut connectors - it’s probably wrong move. Provide more data about you PSU (manufacturer, model). There few options possible with that connectors, like 6+2 pins and solid 8-pin. I didn’t hear anything about “another 8-pin” connector. Connectors in general designed to be “fool proof”, it’s mean it will be connected or will not fit.

I swear this thing wasnt even close to fit

the ones i marked with red were the 4 pins that wasnt square by default all the others were squares.

D0258987-4AB1-4EE1-B96C-A43ECBCA476C.jpeg

9A237AA8-5161-45C5-A7EB-6FEC57F1A65B.jpeg

9 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Looks like you are right because i tested the gpu in a pc that has no integrated graphics in it and it is obvious now that it needs the 8 pin

B91B6D31-E44F-4E0D-ADD5-9CE92CB2EE20.jpeg

Edited by balint234

54 minutes ago, balint234 said:

the ones i marked with red were the 4 pins that wasnt square by default all the others were squares.

This has been the EPS 12V 8 pin connector, used for supplying power to CPU VRMs on some motherboards. You are really lucky it didn't burn your card, as voltages in this connector have the opposite polarity to the PCI-e one.

52 minutes ago, balint234 said:

i tested the gpu in a pc that has no integrated graphics in it and it is obvious now that it needs the 8 pin

Yeah, that screenshot is exactly what was happening back then with my friend's MSI R9 280. Looks like you do need an 8-pin then...

59 minutes ago, balint234 said:

I swear this thing wasnt even close to fit

D0258987-4AB1-4EE1-B96C-A43ECBCA476C.jpeg

9A237AA8-5161-45C5-A7EB-6FEC57F1A65B.jpeg

Yeah, something REALLY wrong with this connector.

27 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

This has been the EPS 12V 8 pin connector, used for supplying power to CPU VRMs on some motherboards. You are really lucky it didn't burn your card, as voltages in this connector have the opposite polarity to the PCI-e one.

I founded similar problem with this connectors with scheme:

https://superuser.com/questions/1000679/i-plugged-an-8-pin-eps-cpu-cable-into-the-gpus-pci-e-port-is-it-damaged

2 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Yeah, that screenshot is exactly what was happening back then with my friend's MSI R9 280. Looks like you do need an 8-pin then...

Well nor the psu or the gpu started when this cable was pluged in so i really hope that it didnt cause damage to the card since its still looks like its working. Im on the way to get a 8 pin pci and i will report my experience

Edited by balint234

16 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

It is official now, the 6 pin connector was the problem.

Everything is fine now with the 8pin.

I want to say thank you to everyone who helped me, you guys are awesome. :)

Screenshot (4).png

2 hours ago, intruder said:

@balint234 Glad that it worked out for you. 
If possible do post some benchmark scores with that card. I'd love to see those scores with or without external screen. 

Can you also show the bandwidth with CUDA-Z (performance tab)? Thanks!

I ran heaven on the external screen. 

CPU underclocked to 3.0GHz to reduce temps. since this gpu is too big and heavy to have a laptop cooler and have the ultrabay adapter stand supported with something in the air. 

I will get a PCI-e extension cable so i can place the gpu somewhere further from the laptop on something stable.

Couldnt do screenshot because heaven was running in fullscreen so i had to make a pic with my phone. Its size is bigger than 2MB so here is a link where u can watch.

https://prntscr.com/keew9y 

Képernyőfelvétel (6).png

Képernyőfelvétel (5).png

15 hours ago, balint234 said:

I ran heaven on the external screen. 

CPU underclocked to 3.0GHz to reduce temps. since this gpu is too big and heavy to have a laptop cooler and have the ultrabay adapter stand supported with something in the air. 

I will get a PCI-e extension cable so i can place the gpu somewhere further from the laptop on something stable.

Couldnt do screenshot because heaven was running in fullscreen so i had to make a pic with my phone. Its size is bigger than 2MB so here is a link where u can watch.

https://prntscr.com/keew9y 

Képernyőfelvétel (6).png

Képernyőfelvétel (5).png

Nice. Thanks. 

I was also planning to buy a riser cable to put gpu away from laptop but first i need to buy a gfx card :D

If you ever use a pcie extension cable do let us know which one you used. Some of them does not work as posted in this thread. It would be good to have an idea on which cables work.

When I ran COD8 on my bios modified y400, it prompted to tell me I'm running it in a virtual machine. And seem the error code 43 is related to virtualization things...so the software on it thought they are on a virtual machine?(I am pretty sure they are running on bare metal.) So just what happened there?

16 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

When I ran COD8 on my bios modified y400, it prompted to tell me I'm running it in a virtual machine. And seem the error code 43 is related to virtualization things...so the software on it thought they are on a virtual machine?

I did some research in RU segment and founded this:

nVidia don't want you to run their cards in Virtual Machines, so they just added in Driver detection of VM. Then it's detected - Driver just stop card and you get Error 43. nVidia want you to use their GRID instead.

But people founded how to solve this problem. Need to hide "hv-vendor-id", BUT it's really related to VM, but not to situation which we have with adapter. Why it's think you run game on VM - is unclear.

Maybe when you playing on nVidia card and transmitting video via Intel iGPU to Internal Display driver thinking VM was used?

P.S. When we have so many GPUs things start to be a bit complicated (iGPU, dGPU, eGPU, vGPU).

Edited by rusTORK
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi all,

I have just received my Ultrabay Adapter from @gerald and I am going to attempt setting everything up this evening.
My card is an "ASUS Expedition GeForce® GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB card"
https://www.asus.com/ae-en/Graphics-Cards/EX-GTX1060-O6G/overview/

But I have some questions before I start:
- I have the latest nvidia drivers installed (398.82), do I need to uninstall this completely before connecting the card
(and reinstall it after the card has been connected)?
- Do I need to disable both the G755M and the Intel display device in Device manager in the end?
- I have read in this thread that with nvidia cards and a driver called Optimus, even the internal screen
can be accelerated. Can both the internal and an external screen be accelerated at the same time? 
- If I disable the internal screen, can more screen be connected to my eGPU? (It has 2 hdmi and 2 display port)

Thanks a lot guys, I will post how the set up went.

Tamas

5 hours ago, Tamas71 said:

Hi all,

I have just received my Ultrabay Adapter from @gerald and I am going to attempt setting everything up this evening.
My card is an "ASUS Expedition GeForce® GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB card"
https://www.asus.com/ae-en/Graphics-Cards/EX-GTX1060-O6G/overview/

But I have some questions before I start:
- I have the latest nvidia drivers installed (398.82), do I need to uninstall this completely before connecting the card
(and reinstall it after the card has been connected)?
- Do I need to disable both the G755M and the Intel display device in Device manager in the end?
- I have read in this thread that with nvidia cards and a driver called Optimus, even the internal screen
can be accelerated. Can both the internal and an external screen be accelerated at the same time? 
- If I disable the internal screen, can more screen be connected to my eGPU? (It has 2 hdmi and 2 display port)

Thanks a lot guys, I will post how the set up went.

Tamas

1.Install the card

2.download gpu z and identify your device id (if its not like on the pic i added then you need to edit the 361.88 driver)

3. Use the egpu error 43 solving method

as far as i know its not needed to clear the drivers beforehand because ddu will do it anyways

Kivancsian varom hogy sikerul ;)

FBEB9C7B-CC64-4C56-AD71-9F223548E76C.jpeg

Edited by balint234
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi Balint,

I am happy to report that everything went well!

(Köszönöm a segítséget! :-) )

First I flashed the modded y510p V3.08 BIOS for NVIDIA eGPUs -  thanks @High_Voltage

Then I did all the steps you quoted. I was lucky, my card's device id was also 1C03, 
so I did not need to modify the 361.88 driver.

I tested my new setup with 3dmark then with the games Tomb Raider and Fallout 4 using
ultra/ultimate setting. I had no problem, the card performed very well.
(Need to buy more games. :-) )

Thank you for your response!
I noticed that you had your problem with your own setup, I am glad
that also was solved.

@gerald thanks a lot for the adaptor!

This really makes a difference! :-)

Tamas

Edited by Tamas71
  • Thumbs Up 1

My adapter is still on the way to me, but i already collected some "hardware" to test it:

GPUs

1. Palit Radeon X700 (PCI-E, 128Mb, AE/X7000+TD11-PM9970) - Just to test how adapter may run Radeon card;

2. Zotac nVidia GeForce GTX 660 (PCI-E, 2048Mb, ZT-60901) - card i took at job;

PSU

1. 460W FSP FX500-A (very old PSU) - i think i can only run GTX 660 with it, but not test it. This PSU have two +12V lines, but each may provide only 17.5A. I even think that only fans will spin, but card can't run.

FSP FX500-A.JPG

@rusTORK Gtx 660 needs about 140watts also 17.5A on a line is enough, you ar only powering a graphic card not an entire system, so technically it should handle something far more powerful. But i wouldent trust it for longer period of time, its old and of questionable quality.

On 2018. 08. 04. at 1:16 PM, intruder said:

Nice. Thanks. 

I was also planning to buy a riser cable to put gpu away from laptop but first i need to buy a gfx card :D

If you ever use a pcie extension cable do let us know which one you used. Some of them does not work as posted in this thread. It would be good to have an idea on which cables work.

I havent seen which one of these cables do not work, can you have a look at this one if it was mentioned by others. (Kinda lazy to re-read the thread and you might recognise it by the name if it was tested as uncompatible.)

https://www.amazon.de/EASYDIY-Express-Flexibles-Verlängerung-Card-30cm/dp/B07D335BS9/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1534623701&sr=1-7&keywords=flexible+pcie+riser

Thanks in advance

57 minutes ago, balint234 said:

I havent seen which one of these cables do not work, can you have a look at this one if it was mentioned by others. (Kinda lazy to re-read the thread and you might recognise it by the name if it was tested as uncompatible.)

https://www.amazon.de/EASYDIY-Express-Flexibles-Verlängerung-Card-30cm/dp/B07D335BS9/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1534623701&sr=1-7&keywords=flexible+pcie+riser

Thanks in advance

Use the search function. 

I've never seen that one in this thread. The only cable that worked as claimed by a user is the 3M one. The thing is nobody can tell which riser will work. You'll have to try it out yourself. Make sure to buy those which you can return if they didn't work.