Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Can anyone tell me using this adapter with say a gtx 1080 how much of a bottleneck ultra bay slot connection be?  Whats the difference between this adaptor and the beast pci e adaptor? 

43 minutes ago, sHaNo said:

Can anyone tell me using this adapter with say a gtx 1080 how much of a bottleneck ultra bay slot connection be?  Whats the difference between this adaptor and the beast pci e adaptor? 

beast is only 1x. This adapter is 8x. 8 more lines, so theoretically 8 times faster some pcie operations. 

EROR 43.

1060 6gb on Y500 all right. Download driver 368.81,no modify. Clean driver via DDU. in device manager rightclick on the basic graphic adapter on port PCI2, actualize driver, from disc, search driver 368.81,instal. restart. then instal Geforce expirience and actualize. in device manager disconnect GT650m.

PS: maybe is possible to instal only newest driver after clean via DDU. I didn´t try.

Does anyone know why I have bus interface only  x16 2.0 @ x8 2.0 ?

Swung Huang has 3.0

2018-06-13 (4).png

2018-06-13 (1).png

Edited by Kuneroll

Hello guys. I am watching this thread for about some months because i have also a lenovo y510p and i was interesting for a solution for external gpu because now the laptop is kinda limited in power on gpu. I would like to ask if it's possible to use a cable like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Riser-Gen3-0-PCI-E-PCIe-x8-to-PCIe-x16-Graphics-card-extension-Riser-Ribbon-Cable/32839943463.html with the end of the connector being in sr mode as the pictures show into the link to extend the internal of the connector combining with an hdd caddy like this https://www.amazon.com/Nimitz-Drive-Caddy-Lenovo-Ideapad/dp/B00NAMUETC. At the end of the hdd caddy with some modification we can put the end of the riser connector and then with another riser like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Riser-Gen3-0-PCI-E-3-0-16x-male-To-pcie-x16-female-Right-Left-Elbow/32832150338.html?scm=1007.13339.90158.0&scm_id=1007.13339.90158.0&scm-url=1007.13339.90158.0&pvid=f0e9c06e-bae3-4a72-8af1-63cd1f8c80fa&_t=pvid:f0e9c06e-bae3-4a72-8af1-63cd1f8c80fa,scm-url:1007.13339.90158.0 we can easily connect and disconnect the gpu and retain portability for the machine. The only thing i can't understand is if the ultrabay port is something like PCI-E PCIe x8 connector or something else because i don't have a pci-e x8 connector to compare with ultrabay connector. Something like that linus tech tips did in their video.

Edited by DARKShadow45

5 hours ago, Kuneroll said:

EROR 43.

1060 6gb on Y500 all right. Download driver 368.81,no modify. Clean driver via DDU. in device manager rightclick on the basic graphic adapter on port PCI2, actualize driver, from disc, search driver 368.81,instal. restart. then instal Geforce expirience and actualize. in device manager disconnect GT650m.

PS: maybe is possible to instal only newest driver after clean via DDU. I didn´t try.

Does anyone know why I have bus interface only  x16 2.0 @ x8 2.0 ?

Swung Huang has 3.0

2018-06-13 (4).png

2018-06-13 (1).png

At y400/500 it only has 2.0. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

I still have some adapters.

Pls pay €95,- (incl. €25,- for int. shipping) to my PayPal account. ([email protected]).

I will send the adapter within a few days.

A GTX1080 does work with the latest BIOS upgrade -> the upgrade procedure is described in this forum.

On 19/06/2018 at 11:49 AM, gerald said:

Hi,

I still have some adapters.

Pls pay €95,- (incl. €25,- for int. shipping) to my PayPal account. ([email protected]).

I will send the adapter within a few days.

A GTX1080 does work with the latest BIOS upgrade -> the upgrade procedure is described in this forum.

Is it possible to attach a 2.5" HDD on the ODD-Sata using the current version of your adapter?

Hey @gerald ! I just got my adapter today Ty! But I'm having some trouble, im using a rx470 card with a 600w psu.

Card is not being detected by windows.

When i power the laptop, the card fans blow for 2 sec then stops, but card lights stay powered on.

Im using 3.07 oficial bios, retail uefi grub dualboot w8.1 - debian

Bios setup is in Legacy mode

Any insights? @Tesla @David 'SOAP' Washington @Kuneroll @Swung Huang

Edited by caitdeen
more specs.

3 hours ago, caitdeen said:

Hey @gerald ! I just got my adapter today Ty! But I'm having some trouble, im using a rx470 card with a 600w psu.

Card is not being detected by windows.

When i power the laptop, the card fans blow for 2 sec then stops, but card lights stay powered on.

Im using 3.07 oficial bios, retail uefi grub dualboot w8.1 - debian

Bios setup is in Legacy mode

Any insights? @Tesla @David 'SOAP' Washington @Kuneroll @Swung Huang

Looks like the problem was in PSU.

Any one have had trouble with a modular psu? I swapped psu to a 600w regular one (from a 700w modular) and it worked.

Btw, im using 3 monitor setup. (Internal, VGA output, and eGPU hdmi output). When i put some weight on gpu (cinebench) there are signal degradation in VGA laptop output. Any one have had experienced this?

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm never heard of Signal degradation. But why are you using the Laptops VGA output anyway? All the outputs are hardwired to the internal resources, if you want to connect multiple displays with your ultrabay adaptor correctly make sure all the connections go into your external gpu.

If someone is looking for an extender prepare to use your right to return, because length and build quality determine wether your card will work well or not.

A 1080 should work fine with pcie 3.0 8x, a TI might begin to loose a bit performance, but that effect might be negligible most of the time and only relevant in some scenarios which need faster pcie speed.

In my case with the gtx 980 which is quite equivalent to a 1060, I do not loose any performance whatsoever, the only factor in determining gaming speed here is the -compared to desktop setup framerates- slower CPU.

I run at 2.4 ghz most of the games (its a 4900 MQ for 8 MB of cache inside) and its stays below 80. With 2.8 ghz (which is stock speed/throttle target) it rallies at 80 and without changing anything about airflow i can manage to keep 3 ghz without throttling (happens when the cpu hits 90).

Any more speed would need an upgrade of the cooling solution, 3.2 ghz might be manageable with certain games but not all.

Edited by Marvin
Cpu info added

On 28.6.2018 at 6:39 AM, caitdeen said:

Looks like the problem was in PSU.

Any one have had trouble with a modular psu? I swapped psu to a 600w regular one (from a 700w modular) and it worked.

Btw, im using 3 monitor setup. (Internal, VGA output, and eGPU hdmi output). When i put some weight on gpu (cinebench) there are signal degradation in VGA laptop output. Any one have had experienced this?

When connecting graphics cards make sure you use two different power cables for connection when your gpu has two sockets.

Not every psu is built the same, so even if a company prints 1200watts on the box, there might be scum inside.

Always look for tests online or take the silver/gold/platinum ranking as a hint.

I am working with a, be quiet bronze modular (got it cheap off craigslist), no problems here. Had an antec gold non-modular before, was too noisy and the cables were ennervating. But worked well!

Edited by Marvin
Added info

On 25.5.2018 at 10:07 PM, mikmaze said:

looks good, how is it working?   how much $ involved for setup? board, wires, video card, power supply???

I pay in €, so you have to use that as indicator: 100€ for the adaptor, 60€ for the pci extender, 40€ for the used power supply and 150€ for the gfx card. Total about 350€. Depends on how much you spend, for the gfx card, but you are always in the 100 for the adaptor.

Better than spending 1000€ for a new laptop, especially since i have now performance on par with a 1070 max q.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, doyouevenbinary said:

Hi guys, a question for those of you who now have a beefy eGPU in your y510p. Is your CPU now bottle-necking your system? What cooling/overclocking steps have you taken and what has the result been? Thanks in advance

There are some dudes here with a GTX 1070 on the adapter.

The CPU will sure bottleneck it as much as a i7 4770k running at 2.4GHz ~ 3.4GHz.

Read my previous post about cooling.

• Thumbs Up 2

Depends on the resolution you ar using, i went with vega 64 lc (was chosing at the time nvidia cards did not work, oterwise id go with 1080ti) and in 4k i have maybe 20%-30% cpu usage in most games on max settings.

More or less in comparison with top end cpu/ram, you should expect 5% less in 4k , 10% less in 1440p and 15-20% less in 1080p(wont matter on 1080p, since most games will still be in hundreds fps)

A few examples is doom maxed 4k 60fps with dips to 50s ,witcher 3 maxed 4k without hairworks about 46fps avarage.

Either way if you still think you will need better cpu, consider it an upgrade path, you can buy adapter/gpu/monitor/psu and use with laptop now. And later on you can buy mobo/cpu/ram as an upgrade path and ditch the laptop.

And a samll thing ill add is that on y510p(non sli gt755m) without the adapter/gpu witcher 3 ran at lowest settings/resolution at 24 fps.....

Edited by Celestus
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hi all,

I know that I am probably (very) late to this party, but I really would love to purchase one of this ultrabay epci gpu adpater for my y510p.

I wonder if this is still available...