Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

@Marvin Glad to hear everything worked as intended!

Regarding the usage of the PCI-E riser, you simply never know whether it works. Good quality risers (which use cables similar to those @Swung Huang has in his adapter) can sometimes give you several meters of extension (there was a LinusTechTips video about it somewhere...). Yet, it is strange that even a short generic quality adapter was enough to degrade the connection in your case. Degradation of signal integrity might depend a lot on @gerald's PCB layout, PCB material specs and how well the matching of lane track lengths and RF impedances has been performed.

My advice would probably be to find someone to borrow a higher quality riser from and try it yourself (or maybe some sort of PC parts shop would agree to accept the return if it doesn't work in your system).

Guys it's me again!

I had success using the famous 3M Extender, what quality! I took the short version because of the thermaltake adapter failing on me, fearing that an even greater length may not work out at all regardless of build quality and shielding.

Here is a picture of my current setup, I will build a cage for the power supply with the graphics card on top to make things more official.

IMG_20180525_182429.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Marvin said:

Guys it's me again!

I had success using the famous 3M Extender, what quality! I took the short version because of the thermaltake adapter failing on me, fearing that an even greater length may not work out at all regardless of build quality and shielding.

Here is a picture of my current setup, I will build a cage for the power supply with the graphics card on top to make things more official.

IMG_20180525_182429.jpg

How about this one ?

On 3/28/2018 at 11:47 AM, QDIR said:

hi

i just wanted to let you know guys that I've just fleshed the new 3.08 moded bios proved by: @High_Voltage 

I'm using it with an AMD Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ and its more stable then before. With bios 2.07 i sometimes had greeenscreen/blackscreen while playing games like: overwatch, PUBG and had to hardreset it because it stoped reponding. But now its gone thanks to you guys.

Ps: i had problem (DOS memory buffer 2 allocate failed) while fleshing the EC with freedos so i downloaded Rufus 1.1.7 and made a portable MSDOS on win7 (win10  doesent support this option just freedos) after that everything went fine :))

@QDIRHow are you going with that RX480 setup? Can you use laptops own screen, or just The gpu outputs? Btw, if you disconnect the adaptor (due to some travel or anything) you hv to go into bios to re enable video? And what about your gaming? TY!

@Swung Huang Are you planning to sell your adaptor's version? 

11 hours ago, caitdeen said:

@QDIRHow are you going with that RX480 setup? Can you use laptops own screen, or just The gpu outputs? Btw, if you disconnect the adaptor (due to some travel or anything) you hv to go into bios to re enable video? And what about your gaming? TY!

yep. If 20 or more people want them, I will sell them.

Hi,

it depends.

If you want an eBay sell, it will cost €70,- and €25,- for int. shipping. You can buy it direct via PayPal and save €10,- 

On 2018. 06. 01. at 5:01 AM, caitdeen said:

Hi, 

The rx480 worked fine, no problems with it, but i sold it and bought a gtx 1070ti (more power). To answear your questions:- No. the internal screen is not an opcion with amd card, only with external monitor.

-No. I traveld a lot with this setup, its easy to use. You just have to disconnect the adapter and u r ready to go. But you have to double swich it on if u just disconnected or connected the egpu. Thats all.

-games where smooth

On 6/2/2018 at 3:27 PM, gerald said:

Hi,

it depends.

If you want an eBay sell, it will cost €70,- and €25,- for int. shipping. You can buy it direct via PayPal and save €10,- 

Hey gerald, it is possible to use your adapter simultaneously with the sata HDD, or some frankenstein would be needed?

On 11/6/2017 at 1:03 PM, Tesla said:

Yeah actually the way I have it is one 256gb m.2 ssd for OS and two 1TB sata hdds in raid0. Just so to reduce the loading times in games. And as you said free USB ports.

How are you doing this Tesla? I mean, theres a normal SATA port, a mSATA (at ultrabay side), and the m2 port right? But how are you supporting the HDD connected to the msata port when you need to keep connecting-disconnecting gerald's adaptor? Another question: What m2 drive are you using? I´ve read that only certain models are allowed in that slot. Ty!

On 4/29/2018 at 4:18 PM, Bos Maior said:

Sorry to hear about your GTX 780!

I like the Radeon software, especially since it doesn't require you to sign up to NVIDIA's telemetry programme.

@Bos Maior I did take all night reading the entire thread, but im still confused at something. Some guys here said that own laptop's screen doesnt work when using an AMD card, but some of your post (and @Kuneroll s) show a 3 screen setup working, including the internal one with a AMD card right? I ask that as i hv a RX 470 Nitro boxed here. Ty!

Edited by caitdeen

3 hours ago, caitdeen said:

@Bos Maior I did take all night reading the entire thread, but im still confused at something. Some guys here said that own laptop's screen doesnt work when using an AMD card, but some of your post (and @Kuneroll s) show a 3 screen setup working, including the internal one with a AMD card right? I ask that as i hv a RX 470 Nitro boxed here. Ty!

If you use an AMD card, usually you can just power the external display (the display directly attached to the card)by the AMD card. The internal display will turn on, but it cannot get the benefit from the eGPU(The same performance as GT650M/750M/755M depend on which your laptop have).So it just show up(maybe be creative and make a performance monitor on it?)

If you want to get benefit from an AMD card, the best way now is to attach an external display and gaming on it. Seems no way to pass image back to the internal display for the time being(If you did it, just tell me!!!!!)

1 hour ago, High_Voltage said:

Yet, there is this guide, which claims among other things the usage of AMD eGPUs with the internal screen.

Thats an interesting guide. Unfortunately im waiting for @gerald on paypal data to buy the adaptor. Maybe @Bos Maior or @Kuneroll or even @Tesla can try it on their systems. Btw,  @Swung Huang ty for clarification. So when you guys say that internal screen doesnt work, are you referring to gaming performance, more exactly that internal screen cant use egpu resources, right?

Edited by caitdeen
typ

On 16. 4. 2018 at 5:52 PM, Swung Huang said:

still running at 3.0 x8. No compromises

7514f893bbf46428.jpg

How did you instal drivers for gtx 1070? If i instal driver for my 1060 6gb,i disconnected gt650m in device manager,then i instal driver for 1060,but computer selfconnect 650m through instalation and didn't instal driver for 1060. I have Y500.

Edited by Kuneroll