Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Hi everyone!

Here's the experimental mod for Y400/Y500: https://mega.nz/#!qBYE0BLa!Nos2gBVE8-_eOX8O5bSyxSEjgOQ154QSu4BWnk6C3qc

It is also based on Svl7's work and should enable both AMD and Nvidia eGPUs for Y400/Y500. So far, @Swung Huang has successfully tested it with GTX 1070 on his Y400, but I'd be grateful if more people verified that it works for them. Especially, would be interesting to hear whether AMD cards work too.

If everything is good, I'll create the separate topic for this one too.

-High_Voltage

• Thumbs Up 2

hi

i just wanted to let you know guys that I've just fleshed the new 3.08 moded bios proved by: @High_Voltage 

I'm using it with an AMD Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ and its more stable then before. With bios 2.07 i sometimes had greeenscreen/blackscreen while playing games like: overwatch, PUBG and had to hardreset it because it stoped reponding. But now its gone thanks to you guys.

Ps: i had problem (DOS memory buffer 2 allocate failed) while fleshing the EC with freedos so i downloaded Rufus 1.1.7 and made a portable MSDOS on win7 (win10  doesent support this option just freedos) after that everything went fine :))

1 hour ago, QDIR said:

hi

i just wanted to let you know guys that I've just fleshed the new 3.08 moded bios proved by: @High_Voltage 

I'm using it with an AMD Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ and its more stable then before. With bios 2.07 i sometimes had greeenscreen/blackscreen while playing games like: overwatch, PUBG and had to hardreset it because it stoped reponding. But now its gone thanks to you guys.

Ps: i had problem (DOS memory buffer 2 allocate failed) while fleshing the EC with freedos so i downloaded Rufus 1.1.7 and made a portable MSDOS on win7 (win10  doesent support this option just freedos) after that everything went fine :))

Good to hear.

2 hours ago, AllanDavidson said:

Anyone tried a 1080/Ti? I'm thinking of getting one, but the current prices is holding me.

I tried it with GTX1070Ti which is nearly the same performance as GTX1080. Keep in mind that for 1080p and higher resolutions it is good to have more than 8GB of RAM.

4 hours ago, QDIR said:

I'm using it with an AMD Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ and its more stable then before.

Good to hear that! Although I think that with AMD cards you would get the same result by just flashing stock v3.08 BIOS. There's nothing changed in the modded bios that would affect operation with AMD cards.

4 hours ago, QDIR said:

This is a really nice and important observation! Thanks a lot! Looks like I was right assuming that installing MSDOS by Svl7's insruction would solve the issue. Even though your method is different, it still requires Windows 7 (as does the HP Disk utility used by Svl7's). So, looks like people who encounter the error and still want their EC flashed have no other choice but to find a Win7 machine somewhere...

3 hours ago, Luthercorp said:

I got the adapter a couple days ago and I am running a Nvidia GTX 780 with Windows 8.1, and it works like a dream!

Glad that it works! Enjoy your new Nvidia eGPU! By the way, it would be cool if you tried to get the eGPU to pass the image to laptop's internal screen by using Optimus. There are plenty of instructions on how to do it on the Internet.

One of the main problems I have with this GPU is that I can't use optimus. The Intel GPU doesn't even appear on the hardware list and I cannot install the driver. The 2 GPUs are always on (even on Idle) and the Battery Life is about 55 minutes. 

Iread somewhere that I need to remove the extra card, disable it on BIOS (which I can't do) or maybe uninstall the Nvidia Driver and use only the Intel driver, and since I game everyday, none of this is an Option.

Also, by enabling Intel iGPU I could use Quicksync and off CPU/GPU resources on encoding/decoding.

If taking one GPU away and using the adapter with another will make Optimum possible, allowing me to use the iGPU and increase my battery life, I would kill 3 duck with a single shot.

From what I've learned while making those BIOS mods, it looks like this behavior is hard-coded in BIOS. Whenever you boot with Ultrabay GPU installed, the Intel GPU gets disabled and some SLI-related features are possibly activated. I think this is done deliberately because SLI systems don't support Optimus technology. When you remove your Ultrabay graphics, Intel GPU gets enabled and Optimus becomes available. Of course, such solution is not perfect, but it's still MUCH better than what they've done in Y500 series (they disabled the Intel GPU permanently even for when Ultrabay adapter is removed).

This way fiddling with drivers or disabling GPUs in hardware manager obviously won't help. There might be a way to design a BIOS mod that allows you to boot with all three GPUs at the same time, but I can't think of any practical use for this (as it will obviously break the SLI and would be equivalent to just booting without Ultrabay at all).

Theoretically, using any Nvidia-branded eGPU that supports Optimus with an adapter would allow you to play games on laptop's internal screen. There's plenty of information regarding how to do this across the Internet, including Techinferno. The procedure shouldn't be different to that for mPCI-e x1 setups. It might be that you'll need to disable internal GT750M, which should be possible via the Svl7's unlocked menu in BIOS. Moreover, it seems that there's a way to use laptop's internal screen even without Optimus (therefore it can be done on Y500/Y400 too). But this only works for games that run in Windowed / Borderless windowed mode.

5 hours ago, Bowser said:

External GPU docks are expensive! Just wondering if it's worth the money to upgrade to an external GPU or should I just save the money towards a newer laptop.

Wrong forum thread maybe, because its about external GPU, but if you can get external GPU cheap now - upgrade to it. If you want to play some game which you cannot now - upgrade to it. But I myself am thinking that in 1-2 years there will be equally as good laptop with desktop version of the GPUs (like 1080) so I am saving for a new one.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Luthercorp said:

can the ultrabay gpu work in tandem with the mSATA ultrabay connector?

I am not sure what you are talking about.

For the sata inside the ultrabay,that is a dedicated standard SATA port.

And it has nothing to do with the one connected to the GPU.(actually there are two ports there).it just physically conflict with the GPU port. Just run a cord and all things will be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2018 at 12:47 PM, QDIR said:

hi

Interesting. I've been interested in using a more up to date BIOS. To reiterate, this modded BIOS works with the first version of gerald's adapter? Also allows nVidia? I too am using an RX480, but curious about the future.

Edited by Blk6Jeff

On 1/27/2018 at 5:48 AM, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

image.thumb.png.87ee4677ed850ffca5357488c05cdead.png

Share a mod from other man with you guys , Ultrabay Adaptor & Sata3 box.

Finally, it can be locked in, and won't be plug out by accident anymore.

@David 'SOAP' Washington do you have any more pictures/information on this mod? What is this? A Ultrabay adaptar that have both PCI Express and SATA connectors?

• Thumbs Up 1

@gerald

I'd love to buy one of your adapters, depending on the price. How much would it be total to ship to the US?

Also, is there anyway you could release your schematic? I think it would be really cool to have an ultrabay adapter that sat in the laptop all of the time with a connector on the outside of the laptop that would go to a separate full sized pci slot. That way you wouldn't have to keep inserting the board everytime you docked. 

Thanks 

Edited by Lemons
Typo

16 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I think it would be really cool to have an ultrabay adapter that sat in the laptop all of the time with a connector on the outside of the laptop that would go to a separate full sized pci slot. That way you wouldn't have to keep inserting the board everytime you docked. 

Hey I'm currently working on it. Stay tuned for that.(But I'm not planning to sell one of them)

I bought it at online components.com

You purchased 3 items
44869647.jpg 2199015-1 TE Connectivity / AMP Brand 
Conn Power PL 30Power/88Signal POS Solder RA Thru-Hole/SMD 118 T
$10.90

50 Ships Today Quantity:  50