Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Well, we have to wait gerald response since he made those adapters himself.

but my initial guess is the hardware straps are different for 750 and 755. so if the adapter has hardware straps for 755m, the bios of the 750m laptop wont let it pass.

and hardware straps are bunch of resistors that give each *ultrabay card* its identity. if my guess is correct, you can theoretically change one of the resistors mounted on the the adapter and it should work.

Edited by Tesla

Hi,

sorry for your inconvenience but I can't understand why the adapter doesn't work in our laptops.

I have just tested the adapter without GPU and PSU. My laptop starts without any issue. 

I am using the original Lenovo BIOS V3.7. You can find the setting in the pictures below.

Your issue looks like a problem on BIOS level. Pls check the settings.

After Win10 startup the system manager shows following graphic units. I have a GT755M inside the Y510p.

BIOS_1.jpg

BIOS_2.jpg

BIOS_3.jpg

Laptop.jpg

Win10_sysMgr.jpg

well, i think i know where the problem is. you dont have the latest bios, in fact you have EC 2.04 and bios 3.05. i have both ec and bios 3.08. Do you think think it is safe to downgrade?

if so, can anyone provide us with older bios files to downgrade. they are not available on lenovo's website.

Edited by Tesla

I had the exact same result except the GPU didn't display out :(

It doesn't say anything about the slave GPU, but the laptop screen and the monitor both do not display anything. The GPU and PSU fans spin and it just sits like that.

Edited by ManyStrongWords

I have matched my bios settings to be similar to yours except I used BIOS v2.07 because I can't find v2.04. Neither the external or internal display will show the LENOVO logo or anything at all. At least the unauthorized slave vga message is gone. I would appreciated it if you could upload your bios using the link in my last post.

IMG_20160630_163010[1]-min.jpg

IMG_20160630_162947[1]-min.jpg

Edited by ManyStrongWords

yes windows does load. i verified that with a music file opening at  windows startup.

the problem i couldnt find 2.04 anywhere on the internet.

can you try to disable your 750M in the device mgr and try to boot again using ur rx480?

Edited by Tesla

It works!!!!!

I am using Windows 10 with BIOS 2.04 and EC 3.05 with a 6670.

Windows 7 with BIOS 2.04 and EC 3.05 does not work.

I believe BIOS 2.07 failed because I was testing it on Windows 7.

I don't have time now, but tomorrow I will test Windows 10 with BIOS 2.07 and EC 3.05 with the 6670.

I will test with the RX 480 with BIOS 2.04 or 2.07 depending upon results of the 6670.

It is time for me to switch to Windows 10 anyway.

Hello Could someone help me and tell how to change bios on the 2.04 from gerald. because I tried but I can not do it the only thing I managed to change it to 2.07 (it was an exe file), but the adapter is still not working

• Brian pinned this topic