Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

1 hour ago, Zwierzak said:

Guess I really don't have much luck with y510p :angry: "new" mainboard I've bought works almost ok but... doesn't give picture to laptop screen - I can use external monitor with HDMI but I cant get into bios that way so its useless for eGPU. So I'm back to square one.

I'm not sure but as far as I've heard there are two variants of y510p motherboards, one that supports 1080p LCD and the other 720p. each motherboard has a different LVDS connector. Are you sure you have the correct model? If not, you could always get an LVDS adapter and connect it to an external display.

Its very likely, that your laptop was perinstalled with the dual core and therefore didnt need the extra phase, also if its a dual core single 755m then its also probable that it was a 720p panel.

You likely need to change that in the BIOS as there are settings for how the LVDS1/2 is handled and what resolution etc (unlocked BIOS)

As for why you cant follow on my idea I think I give up lol, Its not an advanced concept at all. You have NGFF/m.2 to msata adapter. You plug in the adapter, then plug in msata sdd. Done.

Im beginning to desire running Ubuntu as the Host OS and just run Windows 7 as a VM with GPU pass through

Then also maybe run a GPU from the mpcie slot as well, nothing crazy but 7870 level should suffice for just OS and light gaming until launching the VM for real heavy titles

Edited by TheReciever

I'm afraid you are right about dual core or 4702mq configuration - as a current limit on this mobo is so low I cant get more then 3200 mhz x4 cores and I get EDP current limit at about 36-37 W - in other words this mobo is a crap. I thought about LVDS incompatibility but mobo seller assures its for FHD variant - I guess they might be wrong.  I'm going to send it back and get a refund but still I need to get proper one and its not easy in Poland.

About your "concept" :D You want to plug mSATA disk into M.2 slot with adapter but what for? You have adapters that can extend m.2 slot outside the laptop or allow for better placement inside the chassis  http://www.dx.com/p/m-2-ngff-to-42mm-m-2-ngff-64g-128g-256g-m-2ngff-ssd-adapter-card-432139#.WPMqi2ekKUk.  so why would you like to use slower mSATA one when now they are in very similar prices (unless they are much cheaper at your location) ?  And if you would like to create Raid matrix with main SATA SSD you already have easily usable mSATA port in DVD bay. Besides is it even possible to make RAID matrix in y510p ?

Im not touching raid, any raid that is on the motherboard would require CPU grunt to handle and the goal for me is to eliminate the CPU overhead not create more of it.

As I mentioned a few times already, m.2 is expensive here, and I will not be able to appreciate the difference anyways, mSATA SSD is plenty fast for an OS to be run on. I do not care about large sequential R/W. I dont want a cabled solution when I can have it bolted right in place of the existing port....Ive linked this earlier in the thread.

The half size SATA port will be populated with an HDD or something I havent decided quite yet, that one will require a cabled solution but placement will be a bit tricky.

Ok, now I start to understand ;) but I'm not sure if You will be able to fit adapter and mSATA disk  in place of M.2 2242 SSD in y510p chassis.  If you manage to do that pleas throw in a picture. I've just checked and all small form m.2 - 2242 I've seen are also SATA ones so no speed gain vs mSATA disks although I think I will be able to squeeze 2260 in there.

Well generally you are right :) shouldn't be that much of a bother. I'll probably buy this M.2 extension adapter and try to find a better place for full fledged 2280 drive but firstly I have to get proper mobo because there's no sense to concoct anything with current one. But at least it works with eGPU adapter - as it seems there is no need to set bios in backflash mode and you can flash 2.07 right on 3.08 so I didn't have to get into bios at all.

To be frank without additional fan that would blow air into the chassis all You did  wit those extra radiators was enlarge heat capacity of cooling system which in turn will make cooling it under sustained load harder, but joining the heatpipes should be enough to keep temperatures in check for normal cpu, for unlocked ones we will definitely need modded fan. In my system I clamped heatpipes together and added Themal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal compound between them to improve heat flow (I've used Gelid GC Extreem as a sealant). Pleas post TSbench results and temperatures.

I am pretty sure I have mentioned my planned used with my cooler master u3 a few times, without it, I cant exactly hang the laptop on the wall lol

At max load temp is around 62-64C @ stock voltage with keyboard still installed with the stock fan (@max fan speed), at stock fan curve the CPU temp hits 70-72c @ stock volts

I am well aware of heat soak, I've been performing these types of mods since the M11x R1/R2 days. I am limited to 2MB files and even my Galaxy S2 takes larger file pictures sadly (was trying to get around that, didnt work lol) Trying to upload the other picture but T|I isnt cooperating at the moment :/

5.PNG

Edited by TheReciever
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Klem

Do you think it would be possible to unlock the 2.07 BIOS so we may try to overclock the 4930mx and retain the ability to use the ultrabay eGPU?

Just curious if you have any thoughts that may be able to point us in the right direction. Slv7 and Prema arent people we can contact anymore to the best of my understanding, I dont want to spam every modder out there, as Im sure thats annoying. Who would be the best to contact anymore?

Thanks in advance and love all the help you give the community!

Edited by TheReciever

• Bios Modder
9 minutes ago, TheReciever said:

@Klem

Do you think it would be possible to unlock the 2.07 BIOS so we may try to overclock the 4930mx and retain the ability to use the ultrabay eGPU?

Hi!

I think that svl7 already unlocked 2.07 BIOS for Lenovo Y510p. Or no?

The Reciver its possible that well be able to overclock mx cpus in y510p just with powercut option from Throttlestop :) iv manage to get it going on my current mobo but I cant properly test it as its limited by edp current not TDP.

Btw You have mentioned that you plan to use bigger fan but I didn't know its for the outside :) I wonder how your setup will look after all additions :whistle: seems to be a real franken mode.

I use external picture hosting site for my files as I loath those 2mb limits

Edited by Zwierzak

• Bios Modder
4 minutes ago, TheReciever said:

He removed the whitelist yes, but unlocked BIOS is only on v3.05.

At least that is what is available to us in the pack that is downloadable here

Sadly v3.05 doesnt work with eGPU on the ultrabay

What the version of bios in your laptop right now?

7 minutes ago, Zwierzak said:

The Reciver its possible that well be able to overclock mx cpus in y510p just with powercut option from Throttlestop :) iv manage to get it going on my current mobo but I cant properly test it as its limited by edp current not TDP.

Btw You have mentioned that you plan to use bigger fan but I didn't know its for the outside :) I wonder how your setup will look after all additions :whistle: seems to be a real franken mode.

Hmm ok, but I think having 2.07 unlocked would be the best option overall

I plan to replace the internal fan as well, as well as fans from the cooling pad. Yeah it will be quite the franken set up but thats mostly because I dont like the space wasted by going with an eGPU set up, so one idea lead to the next and the end result will be, completely off the desk and best performance I can squeeze out of it while keeping it cool as possible. Its a modification but its also an investment too

Bottom line though, Im a function over form kind of guy...

4 minutes ago, Klem said:

What the version of bios in your laptop right now?

On my y510p I currently have v3.05 installed, I dont have the adapter yet (awaiting shipment) or the 4930mx, but Zwierzak does. I believe he is in the middle of replacing the motherboard though

I can revert to 2.07 if need be, I just keep everything on the DOS drive for when the need arrives

Im also about to call it a night, gym 5am every morning and its about 10pm here in S. Korea

Otherwise if you need any guinea pigs just let me know lol

• Bios Modder
1 minute ago, Zwierzak said:

We both use 2.07 because Lenvo blocked use of Radeon cards in later versions :angry: just like all Nvida cards except 750/755m were blocked from the start.

Send me your file backup of bios in PM.  For creating backup of bios use attached program. Unzip attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Send me this archive "results" via PM.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

or

http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html

• Thumbs Up 1

If @Zwierzak cant provide it, ill do it in the morning after the gym.

About 10-11 hours from now

Thanks for humoring us @Klem

I figure our only chances of getting overclocking potential and eGPU are either to unlock v2.07 or figure out if a setting was changed in v3.05 I did some poking around and have maybe 1 idea but Im pretty ignorant on this subject.

In any case ill be back after sleeping for the night. Thanks again man

Well do :)

TheReciver I tried to use unlocked 3.05 just to overclock 4930mx but it didn't work - only thing I manage to do was totally bricking the bios and now I have problem with mobo replacement :rofl: unfortunately bios for y510p don't have this option that allows to falsify cpu power indication that MSI 4 gen does.

Edited by Zwierzak

I wouldnt overclock using the BIOS, I soft bricked my first y510p like that and had to wait for the CMOS battery to finally give up, left it alone over night and came back after work the next day.

Even using known good settings didnt take too well using the overclocking tab in the bios, I dont think its a good idea on this platform

If anything unlocking power features may allow for better software overclock. As for v3.05 ultrabay eGPU compatibility I wont be able to test until I get the adapter and finish school, which may happen around the same time anyways lol

Off to bed!

• Bios Modder
2 minutes ago, Zwierzak said:

Well do :)

Thereciver Ii tried to use unlocked 3.05 just to overclock 4930mx but it didn't work - only think I manage to do was totally bricking the bios and now i have problem with mobo replacement :rofl: unfortunately bios for y510p don't have this option that allows to falsify cpu power indication that MSI 4 gen does.

I can unlock hidden advanced menus and settings in 2.07 BIOS. But this unlocked hidden advanced menus and settings looks like exactly the same as in already unlocked 3.05 BIOS.

If the settings in 3.05 did not help you, then I will not do unlock 2.07. It will be a waste of my time.

Klem well be thankful for your help - even if we wont be able to overclock cpu that way there is still quite a few interesting things in there :) And as I'm definitely not very advanced in y510p meddling its possible that someone else will get better results than I did :D (up until last month I was MSI boy mostly).

TheReciver with both 3.05 stock and 3.05 unlocked I've got stuck on post with incompatible VGA card message

Edited by Zwierzak

7 hours ago, Zwierzak said:

Klem well be thankful for your help - even if we wont be able to overclock cpu that way there is still quite a few interesting things in there :) And as I'm definitely not very advanced in y510p meddling its possible that someone else will get better results than I did :D (up until last month I was MSI boy mostly).

TheReciver with both 3.05 stock and 3.05 unlocked I've got stuck on post with incompatible VGA card message

Right which is expected, there are some settings that i cant recall the location of at the moment (will check after gym) that speak about register bypasses or the ability to ignore it. I was beginning to think that it may have something to do with it but I dont know so I didnt mention it and I didnt want someone to brick their machine on a whim lol

Maybe it might be easier to get SS of the menu's in 2.07? Then compare it against the settings in v3.05

• Brian pinned this topic