Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

• 2 weeks later...
On 06.06.2016 at 8:30 PM, gerald said:

Sorry but I have some troubles with my eBay account. I will come back in a few days...

Hi gerald. I want to buy one of these adapters. Can you post to Turkey :)

you say ''no need to change the BIOS'' .  how can you do that?  

when y500/y510p owners try the sli with different ultrabay gpu (650m&750m or 750m&755m) an error message on screen at startup.

Yes, I can send the adapter to turkey too.

The BIOS has a whitelist for the one PCIe lane for WLAN. The 8 lanes from the ultrabay port has no restrictions. The BIOS supports plug & play on this port and Windows find the new device on this port.

eBay offer is online again :-)

http://www.ebay.at/itm/-/191891877018?

• Thumbs Up 1

If anyone has purchased this, can you post a review? Thanks.

Edit: Also does this work with the laptop internal screen, or only external monitor connected to the GPU? And what's that 20-pin connector, is it for powering the adapter?

Edited by octiceps
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, octiceps said:

Edit: Also does this work with the laptop internal screen, or only external monitor connected to the GPU? And what's that 20-pin connector, is it for powering the adapter?

I would, but 60 EUR + shipping for a pcb with 3 connectors is a bit pricy for my taste. Actually I'm waiting for a dual pcb version, where it is connected via flexi cable. One for getting an external pcie 8x connector on the side of the notebook, and one for card to be able to build external gpu case with psu. Then it is more than welcome, building one with a ref 980 or something like that. :)

On 6/21/2016 at 2:59 AM, octiceps said:

hello,

according to gerald, you must use an external screen. and the 20 pin connection is to power the gpu since the adapter doesnt draw any power from the laptop.

I have ordered one, once it arrives, I might review it.

4 hours ago, ManyStrongWords said:

Mine came in and i tried hooking up an RX 480 to it only to have "unathorized slave vga card" displayed on the monitor with it asking me to remove it :(

can you test the it out with another card? it could be related to 480 high power draw from the pcie slot. https://m.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/,

I'm kinda disappointed to hear that. i havent received my adapter yet, but i was planning on hooking it up with an rx 480.

Just found this topic.  My adapter arrived earlier this week, and I'm trying to configure it with a GTX 780.  No success so far, similar to the above.

- With the the adapter and gpu connected with the psu, the monitor will detect a signal but laptop will not boot (black screen on monitor and laptop display).  

- With the adapter connected to laptop but not connected with the psu, I'm getting the same error above of laptop display "unauthorised slave"

I had replaced whitelisted BIOS with the latest official v3.08, without success.  Adjusting 'graphic device' between UMA only and discrete makes no difference.

Am booting from an ngff ssd.  Didn't have a lot of ideas to start with, but I too am out....

• Brian pinned this topic