Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

2 minutes ago, Zwierzak said:

Well with that much modding I would rather go for custom water cooling block something like the one on Fury X ;) you could put a cooler with flat fan instead of 2.5" hdd and a pump instead of stock fan. I plan to keep my unit fully mobile if not for that I could even use some moded desktop gpu heat sinks under the chassis (there is no problem with connecting them tu external desktop PSU). But as I wrote earlier - unless we get unlocked bios and there will be option to remove or trick power draw limit it doesn't have much sense as stock heatsink modification is quite enough too keep temps in check - all you need is some Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid metal thermal grease, normal thermal compound like cryonaut or gelid and something to clamp heat pipes together, also some copper self-adhesive tape is quite handy :).

Yeah there was a member that had done that before. Though its too clunky and I dont have the tools needed to fabricate it. Air cooling will have to suffice.

I actually plan to remove some of the padding from the bottom panel, strip an SSD to the PCB and stack them in the same compartment, just cover the contact points with electric tape or something...

Ill also likely be removing the wireless adapter in favor of 2x SATA ports but we'll see if the need comes up, otherwise its likely that I get the m.2 to mSATA adapter, m.2 non NVME drives basically dont exist in korea, msata are plentiful though so that way I could also have 1TB or 512GB SSD on that port.

We will have to contact the modders on this forum and see what options are available to us and if its feasible for them to produce. Slv7 has retired so while he would be best for comment, its simply not an option.

Ill get some of that eventually, most likely CLU as iirc its thicker so I wont have to worry about it running off the die lol

Ordering parts takes like a month to arrive, so I am just operating under the pretense that we will find a way in time. Also it works out for my final in university

We could try to contact Slv7 ? Maybe  someone on the Techinferno have His current email address? I for one would be ready to shell some cash for unlocking that bios and getting as much from 4930mx as the power section of this lap can take - I think it should be somewhere between 80 and 90w so at least 4.2 ghz but don't quote me on that :D it may as well end with nice smouldering hole in mainboard when cpu power section used to be ;) - of course limit might be hardware or EC based and then we are limited to 4900mq but personally I doubt it. Even in MSI gt783 you could tweak unlocked bios enough to get around 90 seconds of full power from 2860qm and that's more than I need from 4930mx for gaming, although for professional use it can be insufficient. 

:Blabber ;) I've guessed as much from your earlier sentence - it just took a bit to fully process as English is not my native language :)

Edited by Zwierzak

I dont know, he doesnt reply to anything here on the forum and there are plenty of people still trying to get in contact with him. I have spent the last hour mulling over the BIOS mod thread but the links are dead with the 1.10

Maybe we should just trial and error the existing 3.05 unlocked BIOS to enable functionality? I wont be getting one until the next batch and building the eGPU until after I finish university though.

Lenovo in 3.05/3.08 have blocked both Nvidia and Radeon support and I don't think we can switch that off just by trial and error - lots of people tried to unlock Nvidia support in earlier versions and they failed which mean we ned some bios magician like SLv7 or Svet for that or fully unlocking v2.07 - the second one should be easier as there are templates in form of unlockers for 3.05, 1.1 and earlier ones - apparently Lenovo coded graphic whitelist really deep. I think Ill install 3.05 unlocked and check if there seems to be any options for removing cpu power limit, if so then paying for unlocked 2.07 would definitely have sense - but that will have to wait till tomorrow I'm after night shift and getting really sleepy right now ;).

Hmm, does svet have an account here on T|I? There is also Prema but he stopped publicizing his mods because people abused his code.

EmberV and Klem dabble in this kind of thing as well, but I think that may be vBIOS only not sure.

Ive got modded 3.05 right now

And I'm getting more frustrated with this Lenovo every minute - I cant unlock 3.05 bios because fptw64 doesn't work for me - every time I try tu use it in any possible way I either don't get output file or get error 284  :canny: any idea how to get around that ?

Could you link your unlocked bios file on some hosting site ?

Edited by Zwierzak

Is there unlocked 3.05 bios to download? From what I've seen you need to back it up from your laptop and then unlock it - that's what I can't do, so if you have already unlocked file it should work ok on my y510p after flash - or it will brick it but no risk no fun :D.

Edited by Zwierzak

3.05 is unlocked and provided by T|I, from the same pack you got 2.07 from. 2.07 = white list removal and 3.05 is unlocked with vBIOS mods (since one is BIOS + vbios and ultrabay vbios.)

I traded my i5 2500k/290x system for the y510p because airliner wouldnt permit the SFF desktop (slightly larger than permitted)

I then attempted v3.05 but would constantly fail under Windows 10/8.1 (I dont have 8) Then disabled Secure Boot > enable Legacy Boot installed Windows 7 and everything worked without issue. Everything post Windows 7 on this machine is just a PITA.  I wanted the unlocked BIOS for the modded vBIOS on the 755m's to undervolt the ultrabay 755m since it throttles under load @ stock.

Only recommendation I could provide is to install Windows 7 and re-run it. I just left Windows 7 on it after. May go Windows 10 in the future with it as I already run it on my m4600 with telemetry crap disabled + Startisback. Haven't done the 1703 update though, waiting on feedback from other users first.

Sorry but I downloaded the whole pack and there was only bios 2.07 in self extracting archive - in "Lenovo_Y510p-Y410p_[v3.05]_modified.zip" there is only bios fixer which needs backup of your own bios, and flashing program+ ec drivers.

Edited by Zwierzak

3.05v is also provided in the OP of the first link, then can use BIOS fixer.

Not sure if my EC updated sometimes it sticks on 2.07 but thats off topic

EDIT: Is the link broken or something?

Edited by TheReciever

2 minutes ago, Zwierzak said:

Actually I tried to use fixer on the stock 3.05 already but it doesn't work. I don't know if this is because I use win 8.1 or because it needs other file format - ill try on the second pc.

Never worked on anything with 8.1 / 10. Probably has to do with Secure Boot but I cant say with any certainty as I am certainly no BIOS modder.

Installed Windows 7 and had the BIOS flashed 10 minutes later.

That would explain it then :canny: a pity nobody mentioned it in original thread

Noop still no luck  biosfixer don't do anything with original bios file so it looks like I need a backup I cant get because fptw64 doesn't work under win8 - so would you kindly upload your unlocked bios file? Or do I have to install windows 7 ?

Edited by Zwierzak

I don't like Windows 8 and really don't like windows 10 but currently it seems that egpu adapter don't work with windows 7 - I'm gonna check it later myself thou.

Edited by Zwierzak

Oh yeah? Oh thats probably mentioned earlier in the thread. I cant recall the entire threads contents lol

Windows 10 isnt bad after tweaking it, Its annoying that I have to do that but considering I didnt pay for it I cant complain much ( got it free from dreamspark ).

From what I know even after tweaking and disabling telemetry win 10 still likes to call big daddy (Microsoft) without permission  and I really don't like that (not to mention constant updates which can f**up whole system) so I prefer to stay away from it until they stop playing with it.

That can all be disabled, even if it cant be disabled on the OS you can still block it on your router. I plan to get pfSense running in the future.

Off topic though, in any case Windows 7 should allow for BIOS flash, then I dont see why Windows 8 wouldnt work after mods are completed.

Its not a problem with flash :canny: i can flash bios easily - I cant get bios to unlock that's the problem.

"0) - NOTE: This step is Only necessary if your system isn't already using BIOS v3.05
Update to the official v3.05 BIOS provided by Lenovo

(1) - Create a backup of your own BIOS (now v3.05) by using Fptw64 tool.
Extract the files and run the included .bat file from an admin command prompt.

(2) - Download Lenovo_Y510p-Y410p_[v3.05]_modified.zip and  put the files of folder [1] to the root of your prepared USB DOS stick.
Let the BiosFixer prepare your BIOS for flashing by drag and dropping your backup file on it. Put the created "v305mod.bin" file to the root of your USB DOS drive as well.

(3) - Now you need to downgrade the firmware back to v2.07 (Y510p-Y410p_v207_[stock].zip) in order to flash the mod.

(4) - Boot from your USB DOS drive, when you see the command prompt type BIOS and hit enter. Wait until the BIOS is flashed (you can safely ignore warnings about non-existing regions).

(5) - Once the BIOS flash completed with no errors, type EC and hit enter. Wait until the EC is flashed. Then reboot.

(6) - Go to the BIOS setup menu, load the default settings, apply and reboot.
Done. In case you're using an ultra bay GPU follow the instructions in post #2 and flash the vbios.."

I cant make a backup so I don't have a file to use biosfixer on

I'm going to get ballistic soon :canny: Biosfixer that unlocks bios don't work with stock bios file from Lenovo - you need a backup made with fptw64 but this program doesn't work for me so i don't have file to unlock.

But as You have dismantle your laptop i guess you wont be able to provide me with unlocked file so I need to install windows 7 anyway.

• Brian pinned this topic