Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

1 hour ago, rusTORK said:

P.S. I know that SLI versions of laptop have got better power brick, but is it really matter with Ultrabay adapter and ePSU and eGPU?

It DOES NOT matter. You just need to power the laptop by the power brick. The eGPU is powered by an external PSU anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone.

I think I have successfully set up a paypal account.

My paypal link is: paypal.me/swung0x48

Btw, I'd like to adjust my pricing.

The board itself is $90

The case with random color is $27

and for another $8------That's $35 for a chosen color.

Shipping to US is $40,

So if you are in US just pay me by paypal.

$157-----for BA with random color (BA for Board+case)

$165-----for BA with chosen color

$130-----for B (B for bare board, i.e. without case)

Once I received your payment, I will make your required items and ship as soon as possible. The shipping info will be filled in the paypal payment.

When I sent your parcel, you can track it here. https://intl.sf-express.com/query/toOrderQuery.do

If you are living in a country other than US, pay me $1(check paypal availability) and add a note to let me know your shipping info(address, zip/postal code, etc.) so that I can figure out how much I'll pay for your shipment and other fees related.

Also, the cabled version is still alive.

Edited by Swung Huang
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hello everyone,

Does anyone encountering BSOD on AMD cards when idle: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f ?

I guess the problem was there since Day 1, but I encountered whenever I switched to DisplayPort (from HDMI) for 144Hz experience.

Firstly, I thought it was lenovo specific thing, since I was using my Y510p the way it was not intended (Geralt's ultrabay gpu adapter).

Strange thing, I never got BSOD, but only black screen and unresponsive PC when waking up from idle state (like moving mouse, pressing any key).
I always hard rebooted (unplugged power cord), after reboot no dumps were found.

But today I decided to investigate and tried to swap DP to HDMI when PC was unresponsive/frozen, and bam... BSOD on Lenovo's monitor (not external).

Found out that atikmpag.sys was causing this issue.

After several hours of googling, I found several tips:

- Reinstall driver/OS and etc. things (as always, not this s**t again)

- Install ClockBlocker, somewhere I read that this is caused by GPU going into idle state, but I don't like this solution since I mostly leave my PC idle for several days/weeks.

p.s. I have attached dump file 071919-11500-01.zip (archived it, since TI does not allow me to upload files bigger than 1MB)

p.p.s: Specs:

- i7-4700MQ, 16GB

- AORUS RX 580 GPU 8GB

- Stock BIOS V3.08

- Windows 8.1 Pro

Edited by JavaMachine
added more details

23 minutes ago, JavaMachine said:

Hello everyone,

Does anyone encountering BSOD on AMD cards when idle: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f ?

Need more data, mate! :)

What's you AMD GPU?

Which BIOS do you have?

Do you mod bios or it's in stock condition?

It may help to figure out faster what's going on.

19 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

Need more data, mate! :)

What's you AMD GPU?

Which BIOS do you have?

Do you mod bios or it's in stock condition?

It may help to figure out faster what's going on.

Edited :)

On 7/19/2019 at 4:19 PM, JavaMachine said:

the way it was not intended

You are absolutely right here.
0x0000009F indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power value. Similar (same code: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f) error was previously fixed in Vista. The patch was released for the OS. Like most here, you connected a video card from PC to laptop with a unique adapter but nobody will write separate patches for this.
So try using a different video card (for example, any NVIDIA). This will probably help you with an error or reduce the search for solutions.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:49 PM, JavaMachine said:

Hello everyone,

I guess the problem was there since Day 1, but I encountered whenever I switched to DisplayPort (from HDMI) for 144Hz experience.

Firstly, I thought it was lenovo specific thing, since I was using my Y510p the way it was not intended (Geralt's ultrabay gpu adapter).

Strange thing, I never got BSOD, but only black screen and unresponsive PC when waking up from idle state (like moving mouse, pressing any key).
I always hard rebooted (unplugged power cord), after reboot no dumps were found.

But today I decided to investigate and tried to swap DP to HDMI when PC was unresponsive/frozen, and bam... BSOD on Lenovo's monitor (not external).

- Install ClockBlocker, somewhere I read that this is caused by GPU going into idle state, but I don't like this solution since I mostly leave my PC idle for several days/weeks.

p.s. I have attached dump file 071919-11500-01.zip (archived it, since TI does not allow me to upload files bigger than 1MB)

- i7-4700MQ, 16GB

- AORUS RX 580 GPU 8GB

- Stock BIOS V3.08

- Windows 8.1 Pro

I'd also suggest to try windows 10. It performs better for eGPU solutions. Might fix your issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 9:19 PM, JavaMachine said:

Hello everyone,

- i7-4700MQ, 16GB

- AORUS RX 580 GPU 8GB

- Stock BIOS V3.08

- Windows 8.1 Pro

I don't know why, but my ultrabay adapter died.

No matter what I do, my Y510P is not detecting GPU. Strange thing, GPU leds turn on as intended, but not fans. When everything was ok, fans were spinning at 30-40 % of max speed until MSI Afterburner profile activates and stops the fans (custom fan curve).

I double checked GPU and PSU on my friends PC, it is working fine.

I found another solution of upgrading of y510p. You can just put all compents into this board https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133135412851.

I would like to do it myself but this sellier does not ship to europe. 

I think is better solution with more potential. 

31 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

Hi everybody!

I'm working on a new adapter now! Now it's Plug-n-play and won't need a modified BIOS.

Should there be any significant differences between using this new one with an unmodded bios VS if we have the older one with a modded bios? Or is it just for the convenience of not needing to flash a modded bios?

Btw, I successfully received my adapter and am in the process of setting it up. Thanks again for carrying on where Gerald left off and making further advancements on these!

16 minutes ago, IronWolf0117 said:

Should there be any significant differences between using this new one with an unmodded bios VS if we have the older one with a modded bios? Or is it just for the convenience of not needing to flash a modded bios?

Btw, I successfully received my adapter and am in the process of setting it up. Thanks again for carrying on where Gerald left off and making further advancements on these!

There are 2 major modification from the old one.

a. It now integrate the SATA wiring onto the PCB.

b.It now uses the aforementioned hardware mod to make it Plug'n'play without a BIOS mod.

But if you get your previous version up and running, it should behave the same as the new one. 

Also, the pics here is still a testing sample. I want to make the finished one just have a simple chip soldered on the board to do the trick instead of such loose jumping wires.

Hi Swung Huang, I know you might be busy with your exams and glad that you are working so hard for our y510p community. I wanted to get this adapter and tried contacting you, please reply once you get time. I brought this laptop as used one, and now I feel i was cheated because I can't game. Please tell me when can I talk to you.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:35 PM, Zakyn said:

I found another solution of upgrading of y510p. You can just put all compents into this board https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133135412851.

I would like to do it myself but this sellier does not ship to europe. 

I think is better solution with more potential. 

I already talk about it before: 

There some Cons and Pros of such conversion. Main problem - you will lost display and have to buy monitor. But ASRock is interesting company, they creating interesting motherboards.

12 hours ago, flyinPanda69 said:

Hi Swung Huang, I know you might be busy with your exams and glad that you are working so hard for our y510p community. I wanted to get this adapter and tried contacting you, please reply once you get time. I brought this laptop as used one, and now I feel i was cheated because I can't game. Please tell me when can I talk to you.

I think you maybe read an obsolete post? My exam has been completed since June. I'm now as free as a bird!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2019 at 11:29 PM, JavaMachine said:

I don't know why, but my ultrabay adapter died.

No matter what I do, my Y510P is not detecting GPU. Strange thing, GPU leds turn on as intended, but not fans. When everything was ok, fans were spinning at 30-40 % of max speed until MSI Afterburner profile activates and stops the fans (custom fan curve).

I double checked GPU and PSU on my friends PC, it is working fine.

Try inspecting the board (traces, pins, connector etc.). There must be some kind of damage to the board.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, intruder said:

Try inspecting the board (traces, pins, connector etc.). There must be some kind of damage to the board.

Maybe later idk.

I am formatting my laptop and giving it to my wife for torture lol. Since, I am building new PC (R7 3700X) and I am done with instabilities I faced these days. Thanks everyone. Special thanks to @gerald, made my laptop usable for another year. Also F@#$ Lenovo for betrayal, lol.

Edited by JavaMachine

Has anyone else had success getting Fast Sync or Adaptive Sync to work? Setup, bios re-flashing, and running various troubleshooting scripts (like the error 43 one) went great, and benchmarks showed virtually no bottlenecking - I just noticed the Fast and Adaptive sync options missing from the V-Sync options in the Nvidia control panel.

Edited by IronWolf0117

1 hour ago, IronWolf0117 said:

Has anyone else had success getting Fast Sync or Adaptive Sync to work? I just noticed the Fast and Adaptive sync options missing from the V-Sync options in the Nvidia control panel.

Just checked my NVIDIA Control Panel and i see all options. But i didn't tested them.

P.S. I have got custom install of drivers, since NVIDIA deleted my dGPU (GT 650M) from drivers.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, Swung Huang said:

Hi everybody!

I'm working on a new adapter now! Now it's Plug-n-play and won't need a modified BIOS.

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

Does this means the new version of adaptor allows ubuntu system to detect both 755m and egpu without any bios mod too?

1 hour ago, jxfong2 said:

Does this means the new version of adaptor allows ubuntu system to detect both 755m and egpu without any bios mod too?

1. The BIOS mod seems have nothing to do with ubuntu graphics detection

2. Yeah, it should. Whether you apply the BIOS mod or not. Though I'm not so familiar with GPU drivers on Linux.

On 8/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, Swung Huang said:

1. The BIOS mod seems have nothing to do with ubuntu graphics detection

2. Yeah, it should. Whether you apply the BIOS mod or not. Though I'm not so familiar with GPU drivers on Linux.

My (K)Ubuntu system detects the GPUs on my Y510p just fine, yet I haven't found a way to switch between the two dedicated GPUs (built-in and egpu).

I have therefore disabled the built-in NVIDIA card (755m) in the BIOS, which allows me to activate the egpu (AMD Vega56) for specific applications by using the command DRI_PRIME=1.