Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

On 1/30/2019 at 7:49 AM, Swung Huang said:

Having the cable replaced and got a new design on laptop side.

Now running @ PCIe 3.0 x8 stable.

(Will get these things for sale, but not now.

My hero!! <3

Take your time, focus on the important stuff in your life for now - there will be plenty of time in a few months to

eFfmdb3.jpg

Hello guys,
I have some good news :) My adapter is finally working :D Here are some screens and photos. I will add more as soon I get better GPU. GPU-Z output is somehow wrong in some info, but I think it is caused by old GPU.
gpu-z.PNG.e41f4f19949bffeb8304fa0fe1f3cc79.PNG

two_screens_9800gt.jpg

detail_gpu_9800gt.jpg

If I count material only I spend something about 50 EUR. Plus lot of work :D Yes, I agree my next approach is to make some kind of case for it and also I would like to do better version with cable extension to put it somewhere away from laptop.  

Hello guys i'm selling my adapter.The reason for that is because i don't have time for gaming lately.I use it only one time for around an hour with rx 580.I bought it for 100 euro + shipping(Europe) so i'm selling it for the same price.

PM if you have any interes.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:57 PM, gerald said:

I have also no more PCBs.

Screenshot 2018-10-09 at 20.18.01.pdf

what about now,  do you have adapter? 

On 2/21/2019 at 6:56 PM, Zakyn said:

Hello guys,
I have some good news :) My adapter is finally working :D Here are some screens and photos. I will add more as soon I get better GPU. GPU-Z output is somehow wrong in some info, but I think it is caused by old GPU.

two_screens_9800gt.jpg

detail_gpu_9800gt.jpg

can it work without external monitor? 

Update: I bought RX580 8GB NITRO+ and now it crashed into impedance problem which @High_Voltage warned me before.  So next version (hope final) is in the progress :D. RX580 is working fine, but when it is under load (benchmark, game, etc.) FPS drops occurs and game sometimes crashes. 

On 2/21/2019 at 6:56 PM, Zakyn said:

Hello guys,

two_screens_9800gt.jpg

detail_gpu_9800gt.jpg

can it work without external monitor? 

On 1/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, Swung Huang said:

Having the cable replaced and got a new design on laptop side.

Now running @ PCIe 3.0 x8 stable.

(Will get these things for sale, but not now.

0D45B4A8-41E5-4D23-9FA2-68ACE122FB7B.jpeg

47BAB08D-C0EE-4CCB-9013-3EA3325CD04A.jpeg

E65149F9-355D-4699-9BA2-82FA8BDF9B12.jpeg

Want to buy one : )

In August last year, after a Geforce Driver update, I started to have some artifacts and cold boots with disabled eGPU (demanding a restart), so then I changed something in the BIOS setup (something like "Enable internal graphics" from "auto" to "always), and then I got a black screen on boot forever. It doesn't matter what I tried, nothing worked. I disassembled and reassembled it several times, shorted the CMOS, changed TIM, leaved without power and battery for 6 months straight and it still doens't work. I tried pretty much everything, even blind bios reset (following the instructions on another thread), but nothing.

Here is the step-by-step (No battery, HDD/SSD or eGPU connected)
1. I press the power button
2. The power LED goes ON
3. The keyboard baklight goes ON for 1 second, and then goes OFF
4. The CPU/GPU fan goes ON

5. Screen is black
6. After 5 seconds I can feel some heat coming out of the left side
5. After 10 seconds the screen is still OFF
7. Pressing the Power button (apparently) does nothing
8. Pressing (or holding) the Delete, F2, or Ctrl+Alt+Del (apparently) does nothing
9. After holding the power button for 5 seconds the laptop turns OFF as it should

10. Turning the laptop on holding Delete or F2 also does nothing

Should I throw it in the trash bin?

I may suggest try HDMI Monitor Emulator. On laptop first, then on eGPU.

I think i saw here on forum something about one more emergency bios resed spots... under memory modules i think... but i don’t sure.

HDMI Monitor Emulator helped me when i played a lot with reviveing iGPU (no luck, bu the way).

@AllanDavidson Have you tried performing Crisis Recovery? If not, I would strongly recommend you do. You can find instructions here, under the "If things don't go right" spoiler. For that you will need any FAT32 flash drive, with this file written to it. Any flash drive will do, although I recommend using one that has an LED for activity indication. It will let you know whether the PC is reading the file and thus whether the reflash process has been initiated.

Also, the keyboard backlight behaviour doesn't seem like a typical BIOS problem. Are you able to adjust keyboard backlight brightness by pressing Fn+Space?

No effect when pressing power button is strange, too. Does it behave like that even if you remove the OS HDD? Can you try that if you haven't already?

1 hour ago, rusTORK said:

I may suggest try HDMI Monitor Emulator. On laptop first, then on eGPU. 

I think i saw here on forum something about one more emergency bios resed spots... under memory modules i think... but i don’t sure.

HDMI Monitor Emulator helped me when i played a lot with reviveing iGPU (no luck, bu the way). 

I tried connecting an actual display on the Laptop HDMI, also no video.

There is no SSD/HDD, no Wifi module, and nothing connected to the miniSATA or Ultrabay slot. There is only the 2 DIMM connected to the laptop.

I will buy another SO-DDR3 on ebay and try it

36 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

@AllanDavidson Have you tried performing Crisis Recovery? If not, I would strongly recommend you do. You can find instructions here, under the "If things don't go right" spoiler. For that you will need any FAT32 flash drive, with this file written to it. Any flash drive will do, although I recommend using one that has an LED for activity indication. It will let you know whether the PC is reading the file and thus whether the reflash process has been initiated.

Also, the keyboard backlight behaviour doesn't seem like a typical BIOS problem. Are you able to adjust keyboard backlight brightness by pressing Fn+Space?

No effect when pressing power button is strange, too. Does it behave like that even if you remove the OS HDD? Can you try that if you haven't already?

1. I did not, because I was dumb enough to reset the boot options after everything was running ok for a couple months. The pendrive will not boot. But I will try anyways.

2. The laptop screen is always OFF, and not On-But-Blank. It does not turn On, never.

3. I think everytime I press the Power key, the fan spins a lot faster, but I'm note sure, need to verify.

Edited by AllanDavidson

@AllanDavidson The crisis recovery disk has nothing to do with booting from flash drive. It is a very low level recovery mechanism built into (possibly) the Intel ME firmware, which allows PC to read raw binary BIOS file (which is what the file I linked essentially is) and rewrite its own BIOS completely even in case it has been totally corrupted.

During the Crisis recovery you WILL NOT SEE anything on the screen. Your only indication that the process is happening will be the blinking of the access LED on your flash drive, meaning the file is being read. Additionally, the PC is supposed to beep occasionally during the process, but mine didn't during my tests.

Edited by High_Voltage

52 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

@AllanDavidson The crisis recovery disk has nothing to do with booting from flash drive. It is a very low level recovery mechanism built into (possibly) the Intel ME firmware, which allows PC to read raw binary BIOS file (which is what the file I linked essentially is) and rewrite its own BIOS completely even in case it has been totally corrupted.

During the Crisis recovery you WILL NOT SEE anything on the screen. Your only indication that the process is happening will be the blinking of the access LED on your flash drive, meaning the file is being read. Additionally, the PC is supposed to beep occasionally during the process, but mine didn't during my tests.

I just tried, my pendrive has a LED indicator, and it didn't blinked a single time.

Just to be sure I hold Win+R for 2 minutes, and then I left I out alone for more 10 minutes. Nothing.

@AllanDavidson Did you follow the instructions thoroughly? I mean using the correct USB port, correct power plug-in procedure etc?

Regardless, flash LED not blinking a single time is a very bad sign. Could be that your PCH has died. Not sure if there's an easy way to test this at home, but any decent laptop repair shop would have no problem diagnosing something like that. Also, you should verify that you RAM works in some other PC (or put some known-good in this one). 

6 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

@AllanDavidson Did you follow the instructions thoroughly? I mean using the correct USB port, correct power plug-in procedure etc?

Regardless, flash LED not blinking a single time is a very bad sign. Could be that your PCH has died. Not sure if there's an easy way to test this at home, but any decent laptop repair shop would have no problem diagnosing something like that. Also, you should verify that you RAM works in some other PC (or put some known-good in this one). 

Yes.
1. Pen Drive on USB3 port closest to the HDMI
2. Hold Win+R (also tried Fn+R)
3. Put on Power Cable
4. Power on
5. Wait until it blinks to release Win+R (it never did)

It may be a hardware issue. Maybe I need to take it to repair.

_
These are the contents of the Pen Drive
image.thumb.png.c31f38ba2c0080483ef88611e25535ac.png

Edited by AllanDavidson

14 hours ago, AllanDavidson said:

In August last year, after a Geforce Driver update, I started to have some artifacts and cold boots with disabled eGPU (demanding a restart), so then I changed something in the BIOS setup (something like "Enable internal graphics" from "auto" to "always), and then I got a black screen on boot forever. It doesn't matter what I tried, nothing worked. I disassembled and reassembled it several times, shorted the CMOS, changed TIM, leaved without power and battery for 6 months straight and it still doens't work. I tried pretty much everything, even blind bios reset (following the instructions on another thread), but nothing.

2. The power LED goes ON

5. Screen is black
8. Pressing (or holding) the Delete, F2, or Ctrl+Alt+Del (apparently) does nothing
9. After holding the power button for 5 seconds the laptop turns OFF as it should

I have experienced this after my RAM upgrade for my y400.Then I have the RAM slots cleaned up and put the RAM sticks back and it works fine. I haven’t confirmed it is ACTUALLY caused by the RAM. But maybe you can try to swap the RAM slot or clean slots up and give it a shot?

On 3/6/2019 at 3:34 AM, AllanDavidson said:

2. The power LED goes ON

5. Screen is black

Last time I change my modded BIOS setting, but i forget what kind configuration that i have applied nd it caused my y510p didn't boot. I'm also tried crisis recovery, but no result. So i bring my y510p to nearby computer repair service, and they say the IO and BIOS chip need to be replaced due to some shorted circuit. They also flash the new BIOS chip with the original BIOS file that i've given. Maybe you can try bring your y510p to nearby repair service, and they will do the rest. :)