Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

I came across this thread looking to see if I can use the Beast adapter with my Y410p laptop. Looks like there are better options possible.

After reading through the entire thread I wanted to try and build the Ultrabay adapter just as a side project. 

I will be ordering the ultrabay connector from the website links posted earlier. 

Can anyone PM me the semantics file shared by @geraldOr the one others have worked on and modified. (I am not able to access the link as I am relatively new in the form)

6 hours ago, DesPaIR said:

I came across this thread looking to see if I can use the Beast adapter with my Y410p laptop. Looks like there are better options possible.

After reading through the entire thread I wanted to try and build the Ultrabay adapter just as a side project. 

I will be ordering the ultrabay connector from the website links posted earlier. 

Can anyone PM me the semantics file shared by @geraldOr the one others have worked on and modified. (I am not able to access the link as I am relatively new in the form)

Hello, since you are new member i can't send you either pm,  https://ufile.io/z1yg5, the shematics from gerald, also note that you will need ultrabay adapters, (in my case i had ordered them but unfotunatelly the coustoms asked for extra 100euros i am from greecce, so i rejected the package, i had ordered 7 pieces , and thus i abandoned the project, however you're from states as i see so you wont have coustoms. If someone will create those adapters will gladly buy for me). Also you'll need the power pin adapter for power supply, and some transistors, resistors, capacitors, all these can be found if you google the product codes from the schematics, so i wish you good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, manolis said:

Hello, since you are new member i can't send you either pm,  https://ufile.io/z1yg5, the shematics from gerald, also note that you will need ultrabay adapters, (in my case i had ordered them but unfotunatelly the coustoms asked for extra 100euros i am from greecce, so i rejected the package, i had ordered 7 pieces , and thus i abandoned the project, however you're from states as i see so you wont have coustoms. If someone will create those adapters will gladly buy for me). Also you'll need the power pin adapter for power supply, and some transistors, resistors, capacitors, all these can be found if you google the product codes from the schematics, so i wish you good luck.

Why power pin adaptor is needed? Can we just simply connect the power cable from PSU to eGPU?

13 minutes ago, jxfong2 said:

Why power pin adaptor is needed? Can we just simply connect the power cable from PSU to eGPU?

I think @Gerald talk something about it. I guess eGPU can't get power from Ultrabay (~75W via PCIe slot) and laptop board can't provide such power. SO, ePSU power eGPU from both sides: PCIe slot on adapter and PCIe power connectors.

P.S. I have no information how much power got second GeForce GT 650M via Ultrabay.

Edited by rusTORK

4 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

I think @Gerald talk something about it. I guess eGPU can't get power from Ultrabay (~75W via PCIe slot) and laptop board can't provide such power. SO, ePSU power eGPU from both sides: PCIe slot on adapter and PCIe power connectors.

P.S. I have no information how much power got second GeForce GT 650M via Ultrabay.

Sorry, to make it clear I mean plug in the cables from ePSU to eGPU directly without power pin adaptor. This is because I am planning to use GTX 1080 TI and it needs 8+6 pins, those sample in previous pages only has 8 pins.

10 minutes ago, jxfong2 said:

Sorry, to make it clear I mean plug in the cables from ePSU to eGPU directly without power pin adaptor. This is because I am planning to use GTX 1080 TI and it needs 8+6 pins, those sample in previous pages only has 8 pins.

Oh, your talk about diffirent design... My mistake. Probably in you case (with GTX 1080 Ti) you better to stick to original design.

But i think it do same job - powering PCIe slot.

I have got GTX 1080 Ti and i connected both 20-pins (in adapter) and 8+6 pins (in eGPU). Everything worked fine.

Edited by rusTORK

On 1/5/2019 at 6:12 AM, manolis said:

Awesome, Thanks for the files, will keep you posted about the progress.

Hi everyone, new member here. Came across this site and topic by happenstance as I was considering to either upgrade or make a switch from my Y500. Decided to go for the former and am really amazed by what has been done regarding Ultrabay. I actually have not done any upgrades or modifications to this system at all, up until now when I replaced the 16 GB SSD. Interested to see the progress on the adapters here on the forums, as I most likely will not try to build one myself.

Now, to the topic at hand. Aside from graphics upgrades, I would also like to replace the WiFi card. Therefore I went ahead (despite not being eGPU ready) and flashed the BIOS with the mod provided by @High_Voltage:

On 3/24/2018 at 8:31 PM, High_Voltage said:

Hi everyone!

Here's the experimental mod for Y400/Y500: https://mega.nz/#!qBYE0BLa!Nos2gBVE8-_eOX8O5bSyxSEjgOQ154QSu4BWnk6C3qc

It is also based on Svl7's work and should enable both AMD and Nvidia eGPUs for Y400/Y500. So far, @Swung Huang has successfully tested it with GTX 1070 on his Y400, but I'd be grateful if more people verified that it works for them. Especially, would be interesting to hear whether AMD cards work too.

If everything is good, I'll create the separate topic for this one too.

-High_Voltage

It seems to run fine, but something I noticed is that with the current WiFi card, once bluetooth is turned off it will not resume until system reboot. At least this is the case with my setup in Ubuntu 18.10. Reflashing BIOS to the backup I took prior to flashing with the mod solves the issue. Any thoughts on this? Have not purchased a new WiFi card yet, so I do not know if this issue persists with another card.

Sorry for going off topic, but I did not see a separate thread for the BIOS mod in question.

This is really interesting! The Y500 mod has not received much testing at all and is only used by a couple of people at the moment. I think this is because of the adapter being initially advertised as not compatible with the y500 series.

Regardless, the whitelist removal component of this mod is an exact copy of the svl7's original work for the y500, therefore it'd be a good idea to check his thread for similar issues. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems there were similar issues with no real solution, even after switching for another WiFi card. Will personally continue to check on this.

Returning to topic, I would gladly report back on the mod whenever I get a hold of an adapter.

6 hours ago, DesPaIR said:

Does anyone have the schematics for the 2199015-1 connector that can be imported to kiCad or any equivalent tool. It would be of great help if you can share the file. 

Here's a schematic symbol and a footprint for KiCAD I've designed for my version of the adapter:

https://mega.nz/#!DIxnzA6B!cvIvt-ZVpfJ3FMkgPbybyGcQviCzwBhV4VY2x-eXk5A

Speaking of my ultrabay project, it's kind of stalled right now as my Y510p has been malfunctioning in a very strange way for a month or so, and I started to consider a PC build. Nevertheless, I'll still finish it at some point.

P.S. I haven't yet ordered any PCBs with this footprint, so it is unknown whether it has got any mistakes.

Edited by High_Voltage

16 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Here's a schematic symbol and a footprint for KiCAD I've designed for my version of the adapter:

https://mega.nz/#!DIxnzA6B!cvIvt-ZVpfJ3FMkgPbybyGcQviCzwBhV4VY2x-eXk5A

Speaking of my ultrabay project, it's kind of stalled right now as my Y510p has been malfunctioning in a very strange way for a month or so, and I started to consider a PC build. Nevertheless, I'll still finish it at some point.

P.S. I haven't yet ordered any PCBs with this footprint, so it is unknown whether it has got any mistakes.

Thanks @High_Voltage it really helps, will start working on it and let you know if it needs any updates. 

My adapter is soldered and currently not working. PSU switch is working, but GPU is not detected (PC working properly). I guess it may be some things which I made variable because the was difference between Lenovo's and gerald's scheme (like PWR_GOOD and PRSNT#1 pins).  I will try some combinations and do some measurements, hope I it will be it. 

Edit: Current configuration is by gerald's scheme.

Edited by Zakyn
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/14/2019 at 2:36 PM, Zakyn said:

My adapter is soldered and currently not working. PSU switch is working, but GPU is not detected (PC working properly). I guess it may be some things which I made variable because the was difference between Lenovo's and gerald's scheme (like PWR_GOOD and PRSNT#1 pins).  I will try some combinations and do some measurements, hope I it will be it. 

Edit: Current configuration is by gerald's scheme.

Great !

nice progress. Hope you will figure out the solution 

Good Job

Hi guys little update:
My adapter still not working and I don't know how to find a problem.

I've tried @gerald's pins for PWRGOOD and that one in Lenovo schema nothing worked.
I am using 9800GTX for test run after normal boot PSU is switched on, but GPU is not detected and not giving any ouput.
Differential pairs are same lenght... Signals connected according to @gerald's scheme (without some resistors, which @High_Voltage suggested not to use).

Not sure what to try next. Maybe @High_Voltage have some sugestions.

13 minutes ago, Zakyn said:

Hi guys little update:
My adapter still not working and I don't know how to find a problem.

I've tried @gerald's pins for PWRGOOD and that one in Lenovo schema nothing worked.
I am using 9800GTX for test run after normal boot PSU is switched on, but GPU is not detected and not giving any ouput.
Differential pairs are same lenght... Signals connected according to @gerald's scheme (without some resistors, which @High_Voltage suggested not to use).

Not sure what to try next. Maybe @High_Voltage have some sugestions.

Do you have a schematic of what you've built?

Double-check the pinout of pcie and whether all the signals are routed correctly. Check whether your Reset signal is ok. 

Also, did you use a high speed PCB and if you did, did you calculate RF impedance of the differential pairs correctly? I think it needs 100 Ohms per pair. Anyway, if the issue was in signal integrity, I would at least expect the card to be detected, so the problem is somewhere else... 

Also, are both 12v and 3v correctly supplied to the card's pcie slot? 

1 hour ago, High_Voltage said:

Do you have a schematic of what you've built?

Double-check the pinout of pcie and whether all the signals are routed correctly. Check whether your Reset signal is ok. 

Also, did you use a high speed PCB and if you did, did you calculate RF impedance of the differential pairs correctly? I think it needs 100 Ohms per pair. Anyway, if the issue was in signal integrity, I would at least expect the card to be detected, so the problem is somewhere else... 

Also, are both 12v and 3v correctly supplied to the card's pcie slot? 

Here is my schematic. 
Zakyn_eGPU.pdf

I will check 12v and 3v power supply and re-check RESET signal.  I didnt calculate RF impedance (that's beyond my knowledge - shamefully), but as you wrote if it was only about signal integrity I think card would be detected at least.

PS: Ultrabay connector has two pin numbers: one as in datasheet and second for Lenovo y510p schema (for easier orientation).

Edited by Zakyn

The schematic looks good. I can't see any mistakes. Have a look at your PCB and make sure everything is routed correctly. One pitfall I could think of is the footprint for eGPU PCI-E connector. When you look at it from the top, with that smaller section facing up, the B will be on your left, and the A - on your right, which is counter-intuitive when compared to the schematic symbol.

Another question is whether you've actually tested that GPU with another computer to verify that it works?

1 hour ago, High_Voltage said:

The schematic looks good. I can't see any mistakes. Have a look at your PCB and make sure everything is routed correctly. One pitfall I could think of is the footprint for eGPU PCI-E connector. When you look at it from the top, with that smaller section facing up, the B will be on your left, and the A - on your right, which is counter-intuitive when compared to the schematic symbol.

Another question is whether you've actually tested that GPU with another computer to verify that it works?

I think I have the footprint right, yes its other way than on schematic. But I draw it as it was in datasheet. 

Ye it came to my mind if it can be bad GPU. My friend told it work but guess I need to test it somewhere. I dont have any desktop at home.image.thumb.png.2140565393e72e5061f00442366765f2.png

13 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Oh, I was talking about the connector that the gpu is inserted into, not the ultrabay one. 

Sorry. Yes I have checked that already, if signals really goes to right side and pin of connector. Now I will take a look on that GPU. Thank you very much for all of your advices. I will post some update as soon as I find some desktop where I can put my GPU. 

Edited by Zakyn

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

Having the cable replaced and got a new design on laptop side.

Now running @ PCIe 3.0 x8 stable.

(Will get these things for sale, but not now.

0D45B4A8-41E5-4D23-9FA2-68ACE122FB7B.jpeg

47BAB08D-C0EE-4CCB-9013-3EA3325CD04A.jpeg

E65149F9-355D-4699-9BA2-82FA8BDF9B12.jpeg

This is the best news and update for me in 2019, a lot thumbs up for this !!!