Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Hey guys just wanted to say this is awesome! I can't believe I didn't hear about this project sooner.

Sometimes I wish the y510p had a MXM port but this is way better since there aren't that many MXM cards either.

About the adapter, its sold out right? no plans to make more either? is there a CAD file for it so I can build my own? I saw a link to buy spare ultrabay ports, would it be too complicated to solder myself?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Drozof said:

Hey guys just wanted to say this is awesome! I can't believe I didn't hear about this project sooner.

Sometimes I wish the y510p had a MXM port but this is way better since there aren't that many MXM cards either.

About the adapter, its sold out right? no plans to make more either? is there a CAD file for it so I can build my own? I saw a link to buy spare ultrabay ports, would it be too complicated to solder myself?

Hi, I had the same idea, but Gerald wanted to keep his plans (which I totally understand), so I found Lenovo schema and tried to design adapter by myself. I have already soldered PCB, it was not that hard it just take some time. It is not working yet, but I believe I just overlooked or misunderstood some Lenovo tags from schema. When I will make it work I will definitely release whole project for everyone.

Edited by Zakyn

2 hours ago, Drozof said:

Has Gerald explained why? I mean does he plan to start making PCBs again? 

Also is the ultrabay port pin layout the same as PCI? 

He did not. I asked him for schematics and some advice, but he only responded on a part of my question (about trasistor switch of PSU).

Ultrabay port has all signals as PCI-e 8x, in different connector, but there are some more signals (for SLI for example).

1 hour ago, High_Voltage said:

@Zakyn If you send me your schematic, I might be able to help you with it. 

Oh really? Here it is, I am not pro in PCI-E signals so it may be completely wrong :D .

eGPU_Zakyn.pdf

Hi, @Zakyn, I had a look at your schematic. Not really going to check your routing to the PCI-E pinout, let's hope it is correct. Also, I hope that you are aware that the high-speed PCI-E lanes have to be routed in differential pairs with length matching (KiCad has a special feature for that) (also make sure to match the length among all the pairs).

Now, speaking of the necessary pull-up resistors on the Lenovo side, as it has already been shown by @gerald while I was writing this response, here's the situation with the additional resistors and circuits:

• 1k pull-up to +3V at pin 70 of the Ultrabay (pin SUSP# in Lenovo motherboard schematic), this is R4 in Gerald's schematic. (note that Gerald's schematic uses different pin numeration for some reason)
  • R1, R5 and R6 are not installed on Gerald's adapter board, so you can just ignore them. These pins although labelled sensibly, don't appear to make any difference to ultrabay functionality
  • R2 used to be installed in V2 of the adapter, but in order for it to work properly, this pin must be open. Do not install!
  • 1k pull-down to ground from Ultrabay pin 94 (SLAVE_PRESENT#), this is R3 in Gerald's schematic
  • Wire Ultrabay pin 98 (PLT_RST#) to PCI-E Reset pin, additionally pulling the signal up to +3V3 (that comes from your power supply)

To summarise, out of all of the resistors, you only need two (R4 and R3), plus the Reset circuit.

Also, you don't have to route SMB bus to the PCI-E slot as it is redundant. Better make solder pads for it so it can be used with my hardware mod.

12 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Hi, @Zakyn, I had a look at your schematic. Not really going to check your routing to the PCI-E pinout, let's hope it is correct. Also, I hope that you are aware that the high-speed PCI-E lanes have to be routed in differential pairs with length matching (KiCad has a special feature for that) (also make sure to match the length among all the pairs).

Now, speaking of the necessary pull-up resistors on the Lenovo side, as it has already been shown by @gerald while I was writing this response, here's the situation with the additional resistors and circuits:

• 1k pull-up to +3V at pin 70 of the Ultrabay (pin SUSP# in Lenovo motherboard schematic), this is R4 in Gerald's schematic. (note that Gerald's schematic uses different pin numeration for some reason)
  • R1, R5 and R6 are not installed on Gerald's adapter board, so you can just ignore them. These pins although labelled sensibly, don't appear to make any difference to ultrabay functionality
  • R2 used to be installed in V2 of the adapter, but in order for it to work properly, this pin must be open. Do not install!
  • 1k pull-down to ground from Ultrabay pin 94 (SLAVE_PRESENT#), this is R3 in Gerald's schematic
  • Wire Ultrabay pin 98 (PLT_RST#) to PCI-E Reset pin, additionally pulling the signal up to +3V3 (that comes from your power supply)

To summarise, out of all of the resistors, you only need two (R4 and R3), plus the Reset circuit.

Also, you don't have to route SMB bus to the PCI-E slot as it is redundant. Better make solder pads for it so it can be used with my hardware mod.

Thanks very much for advice, as soon I will have these modifications done I will let you know if it works. :)

15 hours ago, gerald said:

Hi,

you need also some additional signals for the PCIe interface.

Enclosed the schematics...Ultrabay_V2_20160428.pdf

One of the resistors must be a 10k -> the right one was pointed out in this thread.

Thanks, when I get promoted I will check your schematics:)

Edited by Zakyn

16 hours ago, gerald said:

Hi,

you need also some additional signals for the PCIe interface.

Enclosed the schematics...Ultrabay_V2_20160428.pdf

One of the resistors must be a 10k -> the right one was pointed out in this thread.

I am not sure how long it takes for me to get promoted, can you please send me this pdf as PM? 

Hello everyone. As I understood for now there is no more Ultrabay adapters for sale, I'm too late. If somebody will have success in creating one, I will be glad to buy one. I was late to buy one because I was quite happy with performance of GT755 SLI, but some time ago my Ultrabay card died. I was playing DA Inquisition, and suddenly my laptop switched off and I could hear, that my PSU is ticking (seems to be short circuit protection) and I couldn't start again my laptop with Ultrabay card inside again. There wasn't any smoke or bad smell, so I just hope that it's fault of Ultrabay card and not of Motherboard.. Maybe somebody have ideas how to check this out? Unfortunately I cannot check it with other Ultrabay card because there is no such for sale, or if there is - they cost too expensive (price about of GTX 1050)..

@geraldCould you please PM me the schematics too? I will ask some PCB building companies at my place (if I will find any..), is somebody able to create one too.Thank you very much.

@Zakyn Good luck with creating your own Ultrabay adapter!

2 hours ago, Drozof said:

I would like to get the schematics too

Maybe we could open source the design? 

Also is this PCB too complex to do it with toner transfer? 

My first version was made by some local manufacturer because I don't believe it's possible to do 0,2mm tracks via toner transfer method + you need to double sided PCB, which is not that easy at this precision. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I see thanks for the clarification, whenever I get the kicad file I'll check over here to get an estimate. 

BTW anyone knows what the bottleneck of this system would be? like, I have a i7-4700MQ and the adapter is 8x PCIe, at which point those components and not the GPU become the bottleneck? like, would you put a 2080 on this or it would be a waste of GPU power?

3 hours ago, Drozof said:

I see thanks for the clarification, whenever I get the kicad file I'll check over here to get an estimate. 

BTW anyone knows what the bottleneck of this system would be? like, I have a i7-4700MQ and the adapter is 8x PCIe, at which point those components and not the GPU become the bottleneck? like, would you put a 2080 on this or it would be a waste of GPU power?

I had i5-4200M, than I upgraded to i7-4800MQ and I think  more powerful gpu than GTX1070 will be bottlenecked by CPU. 8x PCIe is not a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Drozof said:

BTW now that we can use nvidia GPUs is it possible to use the internal GT750 at the same time? like for SLI or physx

It is not possible to use SLI for two different GPUs. You can use GT750M for native display on laptop and have it as second monitor.

14 hours ago, Drozof said:

like, would you put a 2080 on this or it would be a waste of GPU power?

You still may get 2080 (for numbers of reasons) and it will work anyway. Yeah, it will be slower than in standard system and bottleneck will be on memory bandwidth side first (Host-to-Device). You may see it in my tests on Y500 and intruder tests on Y510p at eGPU forum (Y500 there is slower).

Anyway, you may get 2080 for slower building desktop and later just sell laptop.

8 hours ago, Drozof said:

BTW now that we can use nvidia GPUs is it possible to use the internal GT750 at the same time? like for SLI or physx

Inpossible. SLI working only with two same NVIDIA GPUs, but yeah you may set GT 750M to calculate PhysX via NVIDIA control panel.

It will be more smart to just disable dGPU and use iGPU + eGPU. Simply because CPU and dGPU share heatsink and you don't need it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 26/10/2018 at 3:43 AM, rusTORK said:

but yeah you may set GT 750M to calculate PhysX via NVIDIA control panel.

Alright, so on the AMD side what would be a good card that wont get a bottleneck? some 1070-equivalent so I can run it with the stock BIOS

@Swung Huan awesome rig man! how did you wired it?

8 hours ago, Drozof said:

Alright, so on the AMD side what would be a good card that wont get a bottleneck? some 1070-equivalent so I can run it with the stock BIOS

No idea. Since HP Envy, where was Radeon card and i can't install drivers from ATI official site without bluescreen i don't buying Radeon cards anymore. Intel + NVIDIA only.

12 hours ago, rusTORK said:

No idea. Since HP Envy, where was Radeon card and i can't install drivers from ATI official site without bluescreen i don't buying Radeon cards anymore. Intel + NVIDIA only.

I had similar problems with a radeon on win7, what was your BSOD? irq_error?

10 hours ago, Celestus said:

Equivalent of 1070 is Vega 56.

Thanks