Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

@rusTORK Cpu pci-e lanes and chipset pci-e lanes ar different and separate. Intel cpus of that era had 16 pci lanes v3.0 , while the chipset has its own pci lanes(usuallu v2.0) that ar used for stuff like m.2/lan/sata/usb/audio and such, so dont confuse the two. Y500 cpu seposedly supports pci-e v3.0 so im not sure why it is limited on the slot,maybe they had some technical difficulties and had to limit it in that one or a design flaw they overlooked  (wouldent be the first time). The major difference betwean y500 and y510p is cpu generation, y500 has 3xxxmq series and y510p had 4xxxmq series, but again bouth support pci-e 3.0 so im not really sure.

20 hours ago, Celestus said:

@rusTORK Y500 cpu seposedly supports pci-e v3.0 so im not sure why it is limited on the slot,maybe they had some technical difficulties and had to limit it in that one or a design flaw they overlooked  (wouldent be the first time).

Who may know more (Intel or Compal)?

I can now confirm that Lenovo Y500 support NVIDIA card up to GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.

IMG_3291_2.thumb.jpg.3b0e125a198d422cf46bf8d1a1a08e2c.jpg

I understand that this is a bit too much, but it's have got good price (same as new GTX 1070 Ti or 1080).

P.S. My adapter is also Ultrabay/2

Edited by rusTORK

30 minutes ago, Celestus said:

ou can safely put rtx 2080 and pci-e 3.0 x8 will be still enough to handle it.

This is actually a very good question! I'm really looking forward to seeing somebody try the new RTX cards with this adapter. I don't have much concern about the bandwidth, but the troubles with error 43 (if they persist) might become a real issue since the trick with older drivers likely won't work for obvious reasons. 

@High_Voltage sorry i edited my post, i forgot that y500 has pci-e 2.0 unlike 3.0 in y510p. So for rusTORK it wont be working 100% speed, only y510p users get full benefit of new cards. Also i dont think there will be any other problems with the error 43, thats already resolved  rtx cards should be detected like any other with the adapter fix.

Edited by Celestus

@CelestusYeah, i understand that this card is really overpowered for such system, but as i said in my post real reason of choosing this card wasn't performance, but it's similar cost (new GTX 1070 Ti or GTX 1080 and old GTX 1080 Ti). Also i may later transfer it in usual desktop PC case and build new PC around card. Currently it's just upgrade of laptop grapthic part.

About benchmarks... i will try them later. Currently i am looking for decent HDMI monitor emulator in local stores. The only thing i may connect to VGA is old Samsung TV with poor maximum resolution 1360x768. It's just bad from all sides.

Also, my AIDA64 just don't see card, it's probably outdated too. Need some additional time to find new version and keys to it.

Edited by rusTORK

Today i founded interesting information about internal display from iO forum:

April-2018: Win10 Spring Creator's Edition (1803) can now provide an eGPU accelerated internal LCD mode without requiring an Intel iGPU or needing a ghost adapter. It allows assigning an app to run with a specified eGPU. 

Link: https://io/forums/pc-setup/guide-accelerated-internal-lcd-on-non-optimus-systems-enjoy/ (forum broke the link)

In this topic:

https://io/forums/pc-setup/windows-10-spring-update-1803-and-bootcamp-egpu-for-macs/ (forum broke the link)

One screenshot with "Graphics Specifications" and selected card for "Power saving" and "High performance". I got same window, but i don't allow to select cards. Like there is no such menu.

Or everything this is related only to Windows 10\Mac OS via Thunderbold?

Edited by rusTORK

13 hours ago, rusTORK said:

Today i founded interesting information about internal display from iO forum:

Link: https://io/forums/pc-setup/guide-accelerated-internal-lcd-on-non-optimus-systems-enjoy/ (forum broke the link)

In this topic:

https://io/forums/pc-setup/windows-10-spring-update-1803-and-bootcamp-egpu-for-macs/ (forum broke the link)

One screenshot with "Graphics Specifications" and selected card for "Power saving" and "High performance". I got same window, but i don't allow to select cards. Like there is no such menu.

Or everything this is related only to Windows 10\Mac OS via Thunderbold?

I didnt get what you mean exactly. If you want to run egpu with internal display then all you have to do is disable dedicated gpu (GT755 in my case).

I've also made a script to disable the dGPU at startup. Now my dGPU is always disabled and i can use eGPU (1070) to drive the internal screen.

If you want to access the option to use specific gpu for a specific application then go to "Settings" -> "System" -> "Display" -> "Graphics Settings" -> Now you have to select the app and gpu you want to use for that app. You'll need 1803 version for this.

7 hours ago, intruder said:

If you want to run egpu with internal display then all you have to do is disable dedicated gpu (GT755 in my case).

I did so, when windows load to desktop, i go to device manager, disabled GT 650M. But i can't select in Graphics Settings my eGPU. I may select app, may select performance type, but there is no any VGA or it's menu.

I have got Windows 10 build 1803 (17134.286).

AT iO forum i saw that some people useing HDMU monitor emulator, but some don't. Also, in their instruction one of the steps is Hot Plug eGPU, what isn't possible for Ultrabay. As far as i know - it's not support of hot plug.

31 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

I did so, when windows load to desktop, i go to device manager, disabled GT 650M. But i can't select in Graphics Settings my eGPU. I may select app, may select performance type, but there is no any VGA or it's menu.

I have got Windows 10 build 1803 (17134.286).

AT iO forum i saw that some people useing HDMU monitor emulator, but some don't. Also, in their instruction one of the steps is Hot Plug eGPU, what isn't possible for Ultrabay. As far as i know - it's not support of hot plug.

You have to restart after disabling gpu. I still have a hard time understanding what you want to do here. Posting a screenshot will help.

Also, if you want to define which app should use which gpu you can do that in Nvidia Control Panel as well. 

I'm waiting for my new psu to arrive then I'll test the "Display Settings" option.

32 minutes ago, intruder said:

You have to restart after disabling gpu. I still have a hard time understanding what you want to do here. Posting a screenshot will help.

Also, if you want to define which app should use which gpu you can do that in Nvidia Control Panel as well. 

I'm waiting for my new psu to arrive then I'll test the "Display Settings" option.

Yx10p are different from Yx00.Yx10p have intergrated intel graphics so that they can easily utilize Optimus to accelerate internal screen(also the internal screen is wired to intergrated intel gpu. However,Yx00 does not have intergrated graphics (disabled physically) so they should do some tricks to make the inner screen accelerated.(If any stable solution is appreciated.) the internal screen is directly wired to dGPU(GT650/750M),which makes Optimus impossible to use. (Seems that win10 grahical settings won't do the trick, but I'm not sure)

27 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

Yx10p are different from Yx00.Yx10p have intergrated intel graphics so that they can easily utilize Optimus to accelerate internal screen(also the internal screen is wired to intergrated intel gpu. However,Yx00 does not have intergrated graphics (disabled physically) so they should do some tricks to make the inner screen accelerated.(If any stable solution is appreciated.) the internal screen is directly wired to dGPU(GT650/750M),which makes Optimus impossible to use. (Seems that win10 grahical settings won't do the trick, but I'm not sure)

Ah. Now i get it. I forgot he's using y500. I'll keep an eye out for solutions. 

Solved problem (kind of) by buying HDMI monitor emulator. After that i may at least run games on internal display (tested Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, DOOM (2016), Far Cry 5 and strange results with Fallout 4, but i will download last version and test it again).

Also, i did few benchmarks in AIDA64 and founded limitation:

My result on laptop:

AIDA64_GPGPU_Benchmark_EVGA_GTX_1080_Ti_SC2.png.7b14da2ea3e3e50c611701653ae15556.png

Result i founded with same GPU (Desktop):

AIDA64_GPGPU_Benchmark_EVGA_GTX_1080_Ti_SC2_Desktop.jpg.8d6c036399227441d927d8884675bdf9.jpg

You may clearly see low results with "Memory Read" and "Memory Write". I may guess that it's limitation of PCI-E v2.0 x8 which is exactly 3.2 GBps.

5ba78b8467920_PCI-EExpressBandwidth.gif.cc404cbd1dd7a8c63e6468e405df6992.gif

Edited by rusTORK

3.2GBps not Gbps which is equal to 40Gbps.. So Basically you have 3.0 x4 or Thunderbolt 3 Bandwidth. It ain't a big deal in my opinion since your processor and old DDR3L Memory speeds are going to be the primary bottlenecks.

Just use a 1440p external monitor to increase your performance.

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

3.2GBps not Gbps which is equal to 40Gbps..

Fixed. :)

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

It ain't a big deal in my opinion since your processor and old DDR3L Memory speeds are going to be the primary bottlenecks.

If i got PCI-E 2.0 X16 or even PCI-E 3.0 X16 - results should be better, right (with same CPU and RAM)?

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

Just use a 1440p external monitor to increase your performance.

It's ain't boost Memory Read and Write, but yeah i saw tests and reviews with 1440p resolution and GTX 1080 Ti (in desktop) was pretty good.

Maybe will be good part for transition from Laptop to Desktop later.

Ye if you got 3.0 x16 it for sure will be better but Here is the caveat, you will run into a cpu bottleneck before you can saturate the performance of 2.0 x8, it really depends on the task.

Gaming at higher resolution would put more strain on the GPU itself and using an external monitor will increase the available PCI bandwidth.

9 hours ago, Tesla said:

Gaming at higher resolution would put more strain on the GPU itself and using an external monitor will increase the available PCI bandwidth.

You think 3.2 GBps isn't full load? Well... it worth testing (at least), but i don't have spare 1440p monitor near me (home or work). Need to think about it.

9 hours ago, Tesla said:

you will run into a cpu bottleneck before you can saturate the performance of 2.0 x8

Hmmm... Look's like there is really small "window". Need to run few test with CPU and GPU loads on screen to be sure.

I tested Valley Benchmark yesterday and can't run it in fullscreen mode on internal monitor, only windowed. I am not sure results will be proper.

Also i looking forward to get 3DMark and run it too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys. I'm having a weird issue with my power supply.

I was using a cheap artis 500w psu (borrowed from a friend) with my 1070 mini which needs additional 8-pin pcie connector and everything was working great. The card was using upto 160w power.

My friend needed that psu back so I gave it to him and now i bought corsair VS450. Now the card is detected and i can play some less demanding games but when the power load of 1070 reaches 110W, the PSU shuts off. I don't know what to do now as it's the only PSU i have.

I tested both the graphics card as well as the psu in the desktop together and everything's working fine.

The difference between those 2 psu is that the 500w one had multiple rails whereas the vs450 has single rail. 

Any ideas what i can do now? 

19 hours ago, intruder said:

My friend needed that psu back so I gave it to him and now i bought corsair VS450. Now the card is detected and i can play some less demanding games but when the power load of 1070 reaches 110W, the PSU shuts off.

It's probably PSU secure mode. Since you useing it for GPU only - it's detecting high power on +12V rail and shut down.

On desktop you probably connectiong all components (like fans, cpu, gpu, memory, hdd, ssd, e.t.c.) and PSU working normally since all rails are loaded (+3.3V and +5V).

Search you PSU in Google (Corsair VS450 shut down). There a lot same situations.

Edited by rusTORK