Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

13 minutes ago, AllanDavidson said:

I got bad luck, my y510p model 20217 does not have a NGFF/mSata, I just got 1 single SATA port. =/

Just to make sure you understand what I said, I was thinking if it was possible to have the 2nd drive inside the ultrabay slot, and your eGPU Ultrabay adaptor to be connected on the outside, Like this example (just to illustrate), where the mPCI is outside:

GEgo4c7MmfA_unnamed.jpg

This way I would kill 3 rabbits with just one shot (2nd internal SSD, eGPU support and a Plug-in adapter)

Thank you mister!

Ah that's relatively easy. you just buy that odd to 2.5' bay. you could align the cables to it and make a cutout on the bay to let the cables run outside the laptop. I have tried it before that's ok

12 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

Ah that's relatively easy. you just buy that odd to 2.5' bay. you could align the cables to it and make a cutout on the bay to let the cables run outside the laptop. I have tried it before that's ok

So that how its gonna be!

Thank you!

36 minutes ago, AllanDavidson said:

So that how its gonna be!

Thank you!

To illustrate what I'm talking about, I have some pics. hopefully they will help you(I don't wanna shut my computer so just pick the things lying around for example lol)

2bb5bada4e90e099.jpg

34623d750a999c28.jpg

-1ad9d365aa109bf5.jpg

5ac3bb205f76d56.jpg

or this one

-48474d4b864f1413.jpg

28 minutes ago, AllanDavidson said:

Nice, a internal SATA/Ultrabay combo adapter, and a external eGPU.

_

Or, another solution would be cut the adapter cable halfway and put 2x connectors (D-SUB?) would also work to achieve mobility.

YM2vL9D.png

Yes I did thought of it but I don't have the ability to produce a port for that so ... :-(

18 minutes ago, AllanDavidson said:

Just illustrating, something like this, with the internal adapter and the external eGPU being interconected by a single plug-in cable.

But maybe a D-SUB wont be able to handle the 8x PCIe... Displayport maybe?

E3rdkZd.png

I just got one end of the cable lengthed by an pcb is for the convenience of attaching and detaching

I did have thought of HDMI/DP or others. They are not qualified for this job. They will cause the display driver stop running or just not showing up the egpu(maybe electrical interference or something) They just don't work well. I even thought of placing a vertical PCI-E x16 slot and get a extension cable for it. It just not being elegant. :(

I even thought of SFF cables. They will just bring the price of it out of control...

Edited by Swung Huang

OK here's what's next.

I'll design a arclic bay which is sized as the odd. and a handle on the box will be added. So that you could attach/detach it as a original ultrabay module and will be easy to carry it away. Stay tuned for that. :)

11 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

OK here's what's next.

I'll design a arclic bay which is sized as the odd. and a handle on the box will be added. So that you could attach/detach it as a original ultrabay module and will be easy to carry it away. Stay tuned for that. :)

but don't know about the strength of arclic. just a idea though.

15 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

OK here's what's next.

but don't know about the strength of arclic. just a idea though.

Jesus F**** Christ man! :hyper:

And here I was thinking of a bunch of cheap cable Frankenstein! :frantics:

8179BzWEKCL._SX569_.jpg

28 minutes ago, AllanDavidson said:

not just pins. Interference and stability is also concerned.

14 minutes ago, AllanDavidson said:

Enjoy my madddzzz skilllzzz at Ms Paint. :bananapowerslide:

(I know I'm bad at it)

WJXu6Ai.png

My thought is the same as you. But how to do about the EXPOSED CONNECTOR? How about the signal integrity? What's the connector should be used? PCIE is specially designed. That's why I designed them as directly soldered to the board... I DID experienced signal degradation when using these random connectors. They just don't work well.

The pics are the cables I used. They are really not cheap.

a4dbb589e658491.jpg

-6d100ef995797e86.png

18 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

My thought is the same as you. But how to do about the EXPOSED CONNECTOR? How about the signal integrity? What's the connector should be used? PCIE is specially designed. That's why I designed them as directly soldered to the board... I DID experienced signal degradation when using these random connectors. They just don't work well.

The pics are the cables I used. They are really not cheap.

These are 30 AWG right? IIRC, Network cables (like Cat5e RJ45) are 30 AWG, the shielding may vary.

Depending on how many wires are really needed to make it work, some standard cables might do it.

I found this looking for many-pin cables. They are Dell PowerEDGE server cables.

s-l640.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/p/Dell-POWEREDGE-Pe750-Cable-60-Pin-Dd0s20th003-12-Inches-X1026/1362838324

Edited by AllanDavidson

1 hour ago, Swung Huang said:

Well... I found the female connector of ultrabay. part No.2199022-1. But i'm probably not gonna produce one of that... So good luck!

Hell no! It would be very expensive and unnecessary, just one single male adapter is required to send the data to the laptop, the rest can be made with other connectors.

This is a very expensive 3M PCI-Express Extender, and they use 30 AWG .025" cables.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8KC3-0726-0500/3M12026-ND/3641403

These wires are 24 AWG, and are cheap.
https://www.discount-low-voltage.com/Cable/Cat3-Telephone-Wire-Cable/BC3RI5024GYCO?gclid=Cj0KCQjwodrXBRCzARIsAIU59TJsjAsKsmUtyWH9iUvtiAyGwcx-6VUBCw5c-hIz3pYULxNrHd-qkfcaAl6XEALw_wcB

______

I was also thinking about making things simpler, since the cable is expensive and the connectors are not trusty. Have 2 PCBs, one on top of the other (almost like you already did).

2 PCBs, one for the Ultrabay adapter, and one for the Sata HDD. This way it would be possible to plug-in or plug-out the Adapter (black board on image) without plugin-out the HDD (green board on image).

0Rfn8h9.jpg

OR this black PCB can be just your adapter with a handle that make it easier to pull it and push (without messing with the SATA HDD)

Edited by AllanDavidson

5 hours ago, NAVIBOY said:

If someone is willing to make this 2 in 1 mod and sell. you got buyers here.. :hyper:

" just curious if this setup can run new nvidia volta card.. "

Probably. As soon as it is PCI-Express, I think it will be ok                        (but I might be wrong)

16 hours ago, AllanDavidson said:

The problem is you can't use a telephone line to passsthough pcie signal... I said these PCIE ones are specially designed...

That's why I got them soldered the cable directly on pcb and they are expensive. I can't just pick a bunch of random copper cable and frankenstein it and call it a day...

Using pcie extenders can extend them like 2 meters or even 10 meters,but they are specially designed for pcie. Using Non-PCIe cables can cause stability issues.

The female connector i mentioned above. But actually I'm not willing to design a new adapter above it... So... it's your turn, guys.

AP}ZDEIQWC}3%B91Q$6ZPIK.png

Edited by Swung Huang

1 hour ago, Swung Huang said:

The female connector i mentioned above. But actually I'm not willing to design a new adapter above it... So... it's your turn, guys.

If you use a set of females and males Ultrabay adapters, you will still need a good cable between them.

It looks like your adapter is still the best way to do it, even though the cable is expensive.

Looks like the cable is the problem.

Guys I wanted to thank you all for the work you put in the adaptor- it works like a charm with my y510p- I got the internal screen working with the modded BIOS, version 3 of the adaptor and a wonderful GTX980 :-)

Thank you!

A last question remains for me: Do you have any clue if i can use a pci express extender cable to put the hot gtx a few inches away from the laptop? I tried it once with a cheap cable from thermaltec, but that didn't work out. Do you guys have any experience with these extenders? Or is geralds adaptor wired in sone way that an extender wouldn't work in the first place?

• Thumbs Up 1