Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

They do have their own variant of switchable graphics, though. IIRC it also works by switching with Intel integrated graphics. But yeah, looks like in our case Optimus is the only solution for switchable graphics.

Yet, it looks like thanks to some new features in Windows 10 it should be possible to get internal screen working using these clever hacks. By doing this, one can get internal screen operation with AMD cards and on computers like Y500/Y400, which have their Intel GPU permanently disabled.

So, I flashed bios from this topic and  try gpu for the first time. Y500, Rx 560 4GB(without self power. Pasive) I did setup nothing. I use 2 ext monitor and int monitor on latop.  Later I´ll try some games. I´m going to try nvidia gpu. I´ll post result. If I disconnect or connect GT650M, it´s look like same. Only in notification are i see Nvidia icon.

IMG_20180418_041707.jpg

IMG_20180418_041753.jpg

IMG_20180418_042648.jpg

IMG_20180418_043808.jpg

Edited by Kuneroll
  • Thumbs Up 1

Very cool! Another successful result with the y500 version of the mod!

Regarding the non-working Nvidia, can you check the model of the card? The HD7950 is an AMD GPU, not Nvidia. Also, did you make sure that separate power (6pin/8pin connectors) is supplied to the card before testing?

I personally don't see any reason for Nvidia not to work, as @Swung Huang has previously reported GTX 1070 working on Y400. Therefore whatever model your card is, the problem is most likely the card itself, not the BIOS mod or the adapter.

1 hour ago, High_Voltage said:

Regarding the non-working Nvidia, can you check the model of the card? The HD7950 is an AMD GPU, not Nvidia. Also, did you make sure that separate power (6pin/8pin connectors) is supplied to the card before testing?

Sorry HD7950 is AMD. Yes I used separate power, it has 2x 6pin. Fans are spin.

Edited by Kuneroll

14 minutes ago, Kuneroll said:

I don't know. It is giant gpu,maybe was bad connect.

It could be. Sometimes I experienced the fan spinning while the graphics card is not actually showing up. It's probably caused by a poor contact and can be easily fixed by reconnecting or sth like that.

23 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

So you're saying it works with internal screen now? This is awesome! What GPU model are you using? And did it only require disabling internal Nvidia in device manager or also in BIOS?

Hi, yes I just disabled my gt750m in device manager and restarted my laptop. I am using nvidia GTX1060 6GB from Zotac in mini version.

12 minutes ago, MWichni said:

Hi, yes I just disabled my gt750m in device manager and restarted my laptop. I am using nvidia GTX1060 6GB from Zotac in mini version.

It should. With the intel graphics, it should be done quite easily. y400/500 have hardware-disabled the iGPU, so no luck for me XD

12 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

It should. With the intel graphics, it should be done quite easily. y400/500 have hardware-disabled the iGPU, so no luck for me XD

Even if the laptop didn't use two nvidia cards?

44 minutes ago, AllanDavidson said:

@Swung Huang could make me and sell you version of the adapter? There is some tests I would like to do.

Thank you

Awww.... Basically it's for my personal use. And it have several flaws to fix and I'm gonna do som improvement. Maybe I will sell them later, but it depends.I'm busy these days after all...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

Awww.... Basically it's for my personal use. And it have several flaws to fix and I'm gonna do som improvement. Maybe I will sell them later, but it depends.I'm busy these days after all...

I for one would like to get a pcb design and try to make one by myself :) this computer is almost a relic now, which needs too much parts upgraded (+more but still not top speed ram, usb hub fixed as in time capacitors get bad and does not provide as much current as before, external gpu adapter + buy new gpu to play latest games or games in performace mode, upgrade intel wifi centrino which sucks, and haswell cpu..) in comparison to buying new one with desktop-grade gpu already in place.

But I still would like to see pcb design and try to solder the eGPU adapter by myself :) just because I like soldering :D

1 hour ago, lil kim said:

I for one would like to get a pcb design and try to make one by myself :) this computer is almost a relic now, which needs too much parts upgraded (+more but still not top speed ram, usb hub fixed as in time capacitors get bad and does not provide as much current as before, external gpu adapter + buy new gpu to play latest games or games in performace mode, upgrade intel wifi centrino which sucks, and haswell cpu..) in comparison to buying new one with desktop-grade gpu already in place.

But I still would like to see pcb design and try to solder the eGPU adapter by myself :) just because I like soldering :D

Totally agree, But given the current situation with prices and availability, I'd say it ain't bad idea to keep it. I almost wanted to pull the trigger on a brand new ryzen mini itx but the gains compared to a fully loaded y510p isn't worth it. I've been thinking to buy a top end haswell chip(like 4940MX) but not sure about the VRMs. I can still live with DDR3L memory just fine.

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Totally agree, But given the current situation with prices and availability, I'd say it ain't bad idea to keep it. I almost wanted to pull the trigger on a brand new ryzen mini itx but the gains compared to a fully loaded y510p isn't worth it. I've been thinking to buy a top end haswell chip(like 4940MX) but not sure about the VRMs. I can still live with DDR3L memory just fine.

Not a problem, Tesla. You must make money for your work. Just share it when you pull a plug :) I hope my laptop will not be fried by then ;D 

• Thumbs Up 1