Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

@AllanDavidson Unfortunately, @MWichni and I haven't been very successful with Nvidia support. Thus far the only things we've seen are boot loops of various kinds.

Plus, as it was already known before, the PC starts up with an Nvidia card if the CLK_REQ# pulldown resistor has been replaced with 10k, but reboots after 40 seconds. It is still a mystery to me how it manages to initialize the GPU this way, as the digital CLK_REQ# signal is being put into undefined state.

We will continue researching the subject next weekend as unfortunately I don't really have much time throughout the week.

Regarding external sources, I'd guess talking to some guys would be quite helpful. Especially someone who is experienced in Insyde brand bioses.

Yours Sincerely,

High_Voltage.

P.S. why would you want a 1080Ti on a 5 year old mobile hardware?

I brought my y510p at eBay for 250 dollars. I upgraded the wifi+bt combo, put 1TB Samsung Evo and even 32GB. It's a mobile powerhouse.

The only downside it's the dual 750M, they suck hard for gaming nowadays. I can barely stay above 60fps on PUBG at 1366x768 with everything on the lowest possible. Also the SLI inherent problems are a lot of headache. Just plugging in a 1080 To Everytime I'm home would solve 99.999999% of my life problems.

If I were to buy a gaming desktop from scratch, I would have to spend $1500 (Mobo, CPU, Ram, Case, SSD, etc) plus the GPU/PSU. With this method I can use my mobile PC as a gaming PC, saving me $1500.

The 4770HQ on this machine still have a lot to do for the next years to come.

On 27/02/2018 at 2:19 AM, High_Voltage said:

I think I've found the exact reason why the 40s reboot happens. Unfortunately, too busy this week to investigate further... This'll be quite hard to solve but if works, would open the potential of using adapter with y500p too.

That'd be a massive step forward! I am following your progress with great interest.

Good news, everyone!

It looks like we've got more or less stable operation with an Nvidia GTX275 as an eGPU here. Still needs more testing and tweaking before I can release the installer, though. One major issue with current version is that it breaks original SLI compatibility: the PC just won't boot with the native GT750M/755M module in the Ultrabay, but I think there might be a way around.

@AllanDavidson $250 for the whole y510p? That's an absolute bargain! I can now see why you considered investing into a 1080Ti.

P.S. It's just occurred to me that this adapter is probably one of the fastest laptop eGPU interfaces out there (excluding proprietary-connector-based solutions, if such exist). PCI-E x8 will go up to 8GB/s while Thunderbolt 3 based solutions can only supply 5GB/s, which only allows to implement PCI-E x4 on GPU side.

Edited by High_Voltage
  • Thumbs Up 4

15 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Good news, everyone!

It looks like we've got more or less stable operation with an Nvidia GTX275 as an eGPU here. Still needs more testing and tweaking before I can release the installer, though. One major issue with current version is that it breaks original SLI compatibility: the PC just won't boot with the native GT750M/755M module in the Ultrabay, but I think there might be a way around.

@AllanDavidson $250 for the whole y510p? That's an absolute bargain! I can now see why you considered investing into a 1080Ti.

P.S. It's just occurred to me that this adapter is probably one of the fastest laptop eGPU interfaces out there (excluding proprietary-connector-based solutions, if such exist). PCI-E x8 will go up to 8GB/s while Thunderbolt 3 based solutions can only supply 5GB/s, which only allows to implement PCI-E x4 on GPU side.

Congratulations!

So, What about Y400/Y500?

4 hours ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

What about Y400/Y500?

We've noticed that the reboot is related to system trying to communicate with the Ultrabay module via SMBus (and failing because desktop cards don't generally implement SMBus, and even if they did, chances that they would appear at the correct address are almost zero). Looks like SMBus is only used by the system to monitor temperature and control fan speeds on the ultrabay. If Ultrabay does not respond to communication, EC reboots the system.

So, in Y510p BIOS for some reason there is a check, which only enables SMBus communication if the Ultrabay device is branded Nvidia (Vendor ID: 0x10DE). Looks like in Y500 there's no such check, therefore AMD GPUs cause reboot as well. While I can remove the check in Y510p's BIOS, it might be possible to take an alternative route and use a specially-programmed arduino for listening at SMBus and replying to the EC with some temperature value that doesn't cause it to panic. While it sounds complicated, it would only require four wires from the adapter to the arduino. Such solution would theoretically work on both Y500 and Y510p without any BIOS modification.

Right now we are making the modified BIOS image for Y510p, but I'll research the arduino approach too. Also, I haven't yet looked at Y500 BIOS. It might be that they're similar enough and I can come up with BIOS-based mod for Y500 too.

Edited by High_Voltage

So, this would require another adapter with a arduino onboard, right?

I'm thinking about putting the GPU and the PSU away from the notebook, in a enclosure/case, and only one cable (like a PCI extender, I dunno) connecting the notebook and the GPU in the enclosure.

@AllanDavidson Ideally, yes. The whole new adapter with a microcontroller or a socket for adruino. But really, arduino can be just soldered to the existing adapter without any modifications.

Getting the GPU away from where it is right now is a good idea. Not sure how long the PCIe cable can be before it loses signal integrity though. I remember Linus from LinusTechTips had GPU working flawlessly with over a meter of PCIe risers in total (those were real high quality things though).

Also, it seems like with Nvidia GPUs there might be a way to configure Optimus drivers to pass the image back to the laptop's screen. We shall investigate this at some point.

Edited by High_Voltage
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Adam Maroti said:

Hello guys.I just can not find to buy this adapter for my lenovo y510p.i’ve found one on evey but that is ended long time ago:(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192472323687?ViewItem=&item=192472323687

Not that difficult to find, to be honest - it's the current offer on Gerald's own seller page.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2018 at 6:08 AM, High_Voltage said:

.So, in Y510p BIOS for some reason there is a check, which only enables SMBus communication if the Ultrabay device is branded Nvidia (Vendor ID: 0x10DE). Looks like in Y500 there's no such check, therefore AMD GPUs cause reboot as well. While I can remove the check in Y510p's BIOS, it might be possible to take an alternative route and use a specially-programmed arduino for listening at SMBus and replying to the EC with some temperature value that doesn't cause it to panic. 

What If you change the Vendor in the GPU Bios?

6 hours ago, AllanDavidson said:

What If you change the Vendor in the GPU Bios?

This has been already suggested in this thread before, as far as I remember. It should totally work. By that mean the reboot sequence won't be initiated. But apart from these dedicated checks at ultrabay address, BIOS has something that I assume to be generic initializer sequences for PCIe devices (there are structures like "Is it Nvidia? If true, do this. Is it AMD? If true, do that. Is it Intel? If true do other stuff"). Those will execute incorrectly too, with possible adverse effects. Let alone the obvious troubles with driver installation you'll encounter with altered vendor ID and a hassle of flashing BIOS of every card you're ever going to use.

In my final version of the mod (coming soon, by the way!) I'm preserving compatibility with original ultrabay GPU by replacing checks for Vendor ID with checks for Device ID. So now instead of checking for 0x10DE at Vendor ID address, we're shifting by two bytes and checking for either 0x0FE4 or 0x0FCD, device IDs of GT750m and GT755m respectively. This unfortunately means there're going to be two separate versions of the mod for owners of different iGPUs. Other than that this should work perfectly (as long as AMD doesn't release some GPU with same device ID, but AMD users don't need to flash the mod anyway).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 03/03/2018 at 5:11 PM, High_Voltage said:

Also, it seems like with Nvidia GPUs there might be a way to configure Optimus drivers to pass the image back to the laptop's screen. We shall investigate this at some point.

I can already do this with my AMD card - i.e., I can duplicate or extend displays, or display the image only on either the internal or external screen. Were there particular problems you guys ran into trying to do this with an NVIDIA card?

Edited by Bos Maior
Spelling.

1 hour ago, Bos Maior said:

I can already do this with my AMD card - i.e., I can duplicate or extend displays, or display the image only on either the internal or external screen.

All of this is cool, but are you really able to use the AMD GPU as a graphics acceleration device when gaming in say "internal screen only arrangement"?

On 08/03/2018 at 11:58 AM, High_Voltage said:

All of this is cool, but are you really able to use the AMD GPU as a graphics acceleration device when gaming in say "internal screen only arrangement"?

OK, I tried this out, and it appears that if I use the internal laptop screen only the laptop reverts to using the Intel graphics chip.

On 2018/3/2 at 1:12 PM, High_Voltage said:

Good news, everyone!

Hello,

Awesome, man! I have been interested in finding a solution that how to use the Ultrabay adapter connect the NVIDIA graphic cards. No one can solve the conundrum till you showing up. Thumb up!

So, here is the thing. I have all the kit, the Y410P, Ultrabay adapter and NVIDIA GTX1060. And I really want to have a try and test how it works with your bios installer version. Could you send me the installer file, please? Appreciate it. Or we just wait for you to finish the whole test.

Thanks!

On 09.03.2018 at 4:55 PM, Bos Maior said:

it appears that if I use the internal laptop screen only the laptop reverts to using the Intel graphics chip.

This is what I expected. With Nvidia there might be a way to use Optimus driver to game on internal screen. More info on it can be found on eGPU dedicated forums.

9 hours ago, Luthercorp said:

if you want more data trying to use Nvidia cards I have a gtx 780 that I can try to make work

More data will never hurt! Go for it!

5 hours ago, Max_Gold said:

I have all the kit, the Y410P, Ultrabay adapter and NVIDIA GTX1060. And I really want to have a try and test how it works with your bios installer version.

If you really really want to try it right now, here's the link to release candidate version: 

https://mega.nz/#!XNozQbRI!QIZQheYs0bpua3nwJaJreKjnygVwUhRtU3QjfbLzPM4 

Would be quite nice if you tested it too. This way we'll have more than just one user's confirmation of the mod working before the actual release.

We're performing the final tests right now. Today @MWichni got a GTX1070Ti running. We have encountered Error Code 43 which appears to be quite common across eGPU community and managed to fix it using this guide: https://***********/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/FIXED-Nvidia-GTX1050Ti-error-43-on-mPCIe-or-M2-non-hotplug-eGPU-interfaces-applicable-to-GTX10xx/paged/1/

Tomorrow if everything goes well, we'll create a separate thread with the mod discussion, download and the installation guide.

Edited by High_Voltage
word filter? really?!
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well I looked through your topic.My friend tried it and succeasfully running an GTX970 on y510p.But I have a y400 and a GTX1070.I noticed that there's no approach for y400 till now. Anything can I do to deal with the issue with y400?

Thx anyway.You guys are awesome.

btw,I'm a student and may not have too much free time. but I will try my best.

@High_Voltage

Edited by Swung Huang
add sth.