Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

I'm using a second hdd in the ultrabay's sata port and it works perfectly.

That's good to know! I am thinking about releasing my USB 3 external hard drive from its cage and attaching it to the sata port, as this would free up one of the USB ports.

3 hours ago, Bos Maior said:

That's good to know! I am thinking about releasing my USB 3 external hard drive from its cage and attaching it to the sata port, as this would free up one of the USB ports.

Yeah actually the way I have it is one 256gb m.2 ssd for OS and two 1TB sata hdds in raid0. Just so to reduce the loading times in games. And as you said free USB ports.

Well, here is something that is interesting.

If I interpret this correctly, SiSoft Sandra is now telling me that the Vega card is using the full 16 PCIe lanes. IIRC it previously said that the bus width was x8 / x16 . This was before I once again disabled my NVIDIA module (Windows reenables it now and then).

I cannot reproduce the original reading, though. Although I've reenabled the NVDIA module, SiSoft continues to tell me my Vega card is using all 16 lanes. What is more, the programme no longer detects the NVIDIA Video Adapter (oddly, it does detect the same module as a 'GP Processor'.

Could someone else verify these readings? Does the external graphics card use all lanes if you disable the NVIDIA card?

nodetect.jpg

12 hours ago, Bos Maior said:

Well, here is something that is interesting.

If I interpret this correctly, SiSoft Sandra is now telling me that the Vega card is using the full 16 PCIe lanes. IIRC it previously said that the bus width was x8 / x16 . This was before I once again disabled my NVIDIA module (Windows reenables it now and then).

I cannot reproduce the original reading, though. Although I've reenabled the NVDIA module, SiSoft continues to tell me my Vega card is using all 16 lanes. What is more, the programme no longer detects the NVIDIA Video Adapter (oddly, it does detect the same module as a 'GP Processor'.

Could someone else verify these readings? Does the external graphics card use all lanes if you disable the NVIDIA card?

nodetect.jpg

The bus width is x16, but the actual speed is 8GB/s(reported in Gbps which i think its a typo in the software) which translates to x8.

Think about it like a street width, you have 16 lanes but you are only occupying 8 of them at any given time.

By design; of the laptop; you can't use more than 8 for your Vega card since Lanes 0 to 7 are hardwired to your nvidia card and 8 to 15 are wired to the ultrabay slot.

Different Softwares may read a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 16 but in reality there are only 8 lanes. and I believe even if the software does read x16 used, it is because of a read error.

• Thumbs Up 1

Either way it dosent matter how many lanes you have, as pcie 3.0 8lanes is enough to run 1080ti without any bottleneck (and that card is 30% better than vega 64/gtx1080 ), it only matters for sli witch is not the case for our adapter.

Maybe navi and/or volta will need more but for the time being it really dosent matter ^^

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you both.

It was mostly with an eye on the future that I asked this. :-) The Vega should last me two or three years, and perhaps by that time I'll need/want to replace the laptop anyway. The idea of potentially being able to use future cards, which will likely require more bandwidth, was rather appealing, however.

1 hour ago, Celestus said:

Either way it dosent matter how many lanes you have, as pcie 3.0 8lanes is enough to run 1080ti without any bottleneck (and that card is 30% better than vega 64/gtx1080 ), it only matters for sli witch is not the case for our adapter.

Maybe navi and/or volta will need more but for the time being it really dosent matter ^^

Pardon, but I thought 1080ti as well as gtx1080 are nvidia and only AMD runs on this adapter, leaving vega 64 for now ?

4 hours ago, lil kim said:

Pardon, but I thought 1080ti as well as gtx1080 are nvidia and only AMD runs on this adapter, leaving vega 64 for now ?

I only used them(nvidia) as an example/comparison to whare vega stands performance-wise, just to put it in to perspective, that lanes ar not an issue yet. Sorry for confusion.

Hey guys, my y510p died because I used too much Liquid metal and left it.

I have a 755m5 and ultrabay adapter and would like to sell them together, naturally, I have the parts from the y510p as well (battery, modded heatsink, 8GB RAM, etc).

The more I can sell the better!

Shoot me with PM's for offers if your interested. I wont undercut Gerald on the adapter as he does amazing work but I am in the US so shipping will be much cheaper

So after another run of overclocking and playing around to find any performance tweaks, i did find something interesting.

Nvidia reactivated hybrid physx in some recent drivers, this means that with ultrabay adapter and AMD gpu you can still use your dedicated Gt755m as physx gpu :D

I tested it and its working, there is load on gt 755m, i did not really look at all the numbers, so im not sure how much performance (if any) it gives.

Heres a link on how to achive this: http://physxinfo.com/wiki/Hybrid_PhysX

And a link for games that  support gpu physx: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardware-accelerated_PhysX_support

I did this mainly to see can i improve witcher 3, sadly its locked to cpu physx only :(

Tested it with borderlands and fallout 4, using msi aftherburner for onscreen gpu statistics, there was load on gt 755m, again im not sure does it improve performance much as i did not do any tests with gpu physx on and off for comparison. Also use FluidMark as its fast to start and easy to see if its working.

Wanted to post this and not much time at the moment, so take it and try yourselves :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/11/2017 at 7:02 AM, Veter said:

Hi, I have the adapter. I can sell it to you (the adapter does not work with my y500. so you need only y510p)

Hey Veter. Do you Still have the adapter? Is that with de 10k resistor?

If you do, how much would you sell it to brazil? 

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I am looking for an adapter but I haven't find anybody selling it. I tried to contact Gerald but got no answer from him.

If there is someone still selling it, could you send a private message to me?

Thanks.

Edited by Stalonge