Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

On 10/13/2017 at 11:44 AM, Bos Maior said:

I intend to buy either a Vega or the Radeon 580. Might take a few weeks, but I'll let you guys know how I've fared once I've bought and installed the card.

I have a Radeon RX 580. I will post the result as soon as I receive the adapter.

On 14/10/2017 at 4:46 PM, Celestus said:

Payed and waiting. Also intend to buy a vega, so any info from anyone who tried it would be welcome :)

Anyways my plan is Water cooled vega 64 and Asus MG279Q monitor. What about everyone els :D ?

Interested in buying the Vega 56, air cooled. From what I've seen on Youtube, the 64 gives you another 10 FPS or so in The Witcher 3 at 4K, but the 56 still has very playable framerates.

I have an iiyama G-Master which I'm very happy with, so I won't be replacing the monitor.

Edited by Bos Maior
Grammar!

13 hours ago, cajuil said:

I have a Radeon RX 580. I will post the result as soon as I receive the adapter.

I also have the RX580. Everything running fine so far. More than 60 fps on High/ultra on BF1. 

The most complicated situation was the installation (  I mean, uninstalling the Nvidia drivers that was in conflict with AMD). I suggest to see the entire tread, Tesla has an awesome video explaining everything.

I don´t have experience with Vega, however I suggest you to pick the card after receiving the adapter (Amazon, in example), and test it, if you have any problem, you can return it back and don´t waste the money.

Regards,

Other thing that I have experience, always In my opinion, using the adapter with a high end card like vega, you can feel that the bottleneck will be the processor and the hard drive, so before doing some invest in a high end card you can try first with a mid card range like the RX580 and upgrade to SSD the hard drive. So wasting the money only in the high end card will not be convenient unless you do the SSD investment first.

14 hours ago, Kuneroll said:

Do anyone knows, if I need graphic card with power connector? I have Rx560 4gb without connector. Laptop shutdown after 40 sec.

Hello,

Do you have a power supply connected to the adapter (20pin connector)? Even though your card has no PCIE power connector, you would still need an external power supply for supplying power through PCIE slot.

Also, are you running 2.07 bios?

10 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Hello,

Do you have a power supply connected to the adapter (20pin connector)? Even though your card has no PCIE power connector, you would still need an external power supply for supplying power through PCIE slot.

Also, are you running 2.07 bios?

I have power supply connected to the adapter via 20pin. But have 2.04 bios. There is a problem maybe.

And where can i find bios 2.07? Thanks

3 hours ago, Kuneroll said:

I have power supply connected to the adapter via 20pin. But have 2.04 bios. There is a problem maybe.

And where can i find bios 2.07? Thanks

EDIT - PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL THIS BIOS!

I just reread your posts, and now realise that your system is a Y500, not a Y510P. The bioses are NOT compatible. Also, please be aware that Gerald's adapter is known not to work with the Y500.

Edited by Bos Maior

As promised, an update.

I received the adapter today, and used it to install a Radeon Vega 56 card. I was forced to disable custom scaling as it caused lots of ' Thread Stuck In Device Driver ' errors after logging on to Windows 10. This is a bit annoying, but apart from that everything's hunky-dory.

I can now play The Witcher 3 at 4K with most of the graphics settings set to 'high' or 'ultra' and a number of shaders enabled, whilst still getting about 50 FPS. Once I've figured out how to do screenshots (I think MSI Afterburner allows you to take those) I'll see if I can post a few.

The CPU doesn't seem to be bothered by the extra pixels. Its workload is at about 30% when I play The Witcher 3. Perhaps it would prove to be a bottleneck in other games, yet as I don't really play any graphics-intensive games apart from The Witcher 3 I cannot test this for you guys.

EDIT

Now with pics!

https://imgur.com/a/LbBwu

Individual pics:

https://imgur.com/wS357n2
https://imgur.com/wRQzMp6
https://imgur.com/ASE0hCn

Edited by Bos Maior

OK guys, here's an oddity:

I couldn't get the Radeon card to initialize if I plugged in a Displayport cable only. The computer would use the Intel card, and sometimes the external screen was not even detected. HDMI worked just fine, however.Yet since HDMI does not support freesync, I decided to experiment a little.

What I did was connect my card with the external monitor using both an HDMI and a Displaylink cable. The result: both the laptop's screen and the monitor switched on, the Radeon card operating both screens. I didn't even think this was possible. The laptop screen was treated as the primary display, while the external screen was used for extending the desktop.

The displaylink connection was treated as a third screen that could be disabled. The other two screens, however, could not.

Have a look at the screens below. NB: I am using Windows 10, with a few applications to make it look more like Windows 7.

Now, this might actually be useful functionality for some, but what I'd really like to do is use the displayport connection only. Does anyone have any ideas?

01.jpg

02.jpg

Edited by Bos Maior

...one more update.

I am getting tons of crashes in The Witcher 3 now. I am not sure what causes these crashes, as I did not originally experience them. They do seem to be software-related as they are especially likely to occur after cut scenes: the screen changes into a wall of multi-coloured confetti, after which the system often reboots. Normally I'd say the problems were due to overheating, yet this can happen after just a few minutes of gameplay, and a relatively low workload for the CPU and GPU (I've dialed back most of the graphics settings to 'high' and lower).

I'll investigate further tomorrow. Any ideas are welcome.

Regarding the cpu load in 4k, higher the resolution the more load on a graphic card and less fps, less fps is less load on cpu. So for example in 1080p you gona get "200fps"(wild guess) high cpu load since it has to do alot of work by processing these frames for gpu, in 4k you get 50fps so thats alot less work for cpu to handle and most work is done by gpu(more pixels to render).

To sum it up for 4k you dont need a very powerfull cpu, but in 1080p it will be a bottlneck.

I remember reading an article about this somewhare, it was a low end cpu and high end gpu, it went something like 1080p- about 30% less performance than on high end cpu , 1440p 15% less performance than high end cpu and 4k was bout 5% less(now mind you the numbers ar not exact it was a different cpu, but it should give you an idea how it works) :)

7 hours ago, Celestus said:

Regarding the cpu load in 4k, higher the resolution the more load on a graphic card and less fps, less fps is less load on cpu. So for example in 1080p you gona get "200fps"(wild guess) high cpu load since it has to do alot of work by processing these frames for gpu, in 4k you get 50fps so thats alot less work for cpu to handle and most work is done by gpu(more pixels to render).

To sum it up for 4k you dont need a very powerfull cpu, but in 1080p it will be a bottlneck.

I remember reading an article about this somewhare, it was a low end cpu and high end gpu, it went something like 1080p- about 30% less performance than on high end cpu , 1440p 15% less performance than high end cpu and 4k was bout 5% less(now mind you the numbers ar not exact it was a different cpu, but it should give you an idea how it works) :)

Ha, that's interesting!

I've resolved the problem with the crashes, by the way. :-) I had my desktop set to 1920*1080 while I was playing the game at 4K. Apparently having to switch between resolutions when going from game to cutscene and back again caused the driver to crash. The desktop is now set to 4K, and the game runs absolutely fine.

I've also switched from AMD's latest driver to the older one provided by Gigabyte (the manufacturer of my card). It seems to be a bit more stable.

Here's another update with my observations using the adapter with a Vega 56 card and 4K screen.

(@ Gerald - please let me know if you would like me to start a new thread for these.)

* On the whole, the Radeon Vega 56 works well with the adapter. From my experience with The Witcher 3, though, playing games at resolutions other than the desktop resolution may cause problems. This seems to be related to resolution switching within the game itself. Future driver updates may help with this issue. I also recommend making sure that you are using the appropriate driver for your monitor. I had some stability issues before I replaced the default driver with one provided by the manufacturer.

* I have not been able to use a Displayport cable to drive my 4K external monitor at its full resolution. I am under the impression that the internal screen, too, is connected to a Displayport connector of some sort, causing the graphics card to treat the two screens (external and internal) as one and the same. This is in spite of the fact that both are detected by the Device Manager (!). The result: unless I use an HDMI cable (which works fine, by the way) my external monitor displays the exact same images as the internal screen and can only function at a 1080p resolution.

On the whole, I am very glad I took the plunge. Thanks to Gerald's adapter my Y510p is more than ready for another few years of gaming. :-)

On 10/20/2017 at 6:13 PM, Bos Maior said:

EDIT - PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL THIS BIOS!

I just reread your posts, and now realise that your system is a Y500, not a Y510P. The bioses are NOT compatible. Also, please be aware that Gerald's adapter is known not to work with the Y500.

True. This bios is only for y510p. y500 is not compatible. and unfortunately no one figured out how to get it working properly.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:58 PM, Bos Maior said:

As promised, an update.

I received the adapter today, and used it to install a Radeon Vega 56 card. I was forced to disable custom scaling as it caused lots of ' Thread Stuck In Device Driver ' errors after logging on to Windows 10. This is a bit annoying, but apart from that everything's hunky-dory.

I can now play The Witcher 3 at 4K with most of the graphics settings set to 'high' or 'ultra' and a number of shaders enabled, whilst still getting about 50 FPS. Once I've figured out how to do screenshots (I think MSI Afterburner allows you to take those) I'll see if I can post a few.

The CPU doesn't seem to be bothered by the extra pixels. Its workload is at about 30% when I play The Witcher 3. Perhaps it would prove to be a bottleneck in other games, yet as I don't really play any graphics-intensive games apart from The Witcher 3 I cannot test this for you guys.

EDIT

Now with pics!

https://imgur.com/a/LbBwu

Individual pics:

https://imgur.com/wS357n2
https://imgur.com/wRQzMp6
https://imgur.com/ASE0hCn

That is amazing. Makes me wanna upgrade to Vega. Have fun with it.

58 minutes ago, Tesla said:

True. This bios is only for y510p. y500 is not compatible. and unfortunately no one figured out how to get it working properly.

That is amazing. Makes me wanna upgrade to Vega. Have fun with it.

Thanks! Scaling no longer is a problem either. I'm not entirely sure what caused that problem, but suspect it was related to me using a driver that was not entirely stable and an application that allowed me to use Windows 8.1 font scaling  in Windows 10 (which clashes with attempts to resize other elements of the interface).

What remains is the 'problem' of not being able to use Displayport without the external monitor being treated as a complete duplicate of the internal one, down to its resolution. I suspect that if I could disable the connection between the motherboard and the laptop screen this problem could be overcome, too, but do not know of any way to do this apart from physically disconnecting the internal monitor.

Edited by Bos Maior