Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

18 hours ago, TheReciever said:

@ghoul should be able to settle this then.

Was an unlocked BIOS vital to CPU overclocking the 4930mx when you had it?

Thanks

Hi

Like I said before, any TDP related settings were ineffective, even tuned down, TDP was at CPU default,  IA current limit was below cpu default, so EC protects VRM circuit, by limiting current.

in XTU any related setting were ineffective as well, ratio could be set, and voltage offsets.

4930MX if you can deal with the heat is way better than 4900MQ because of higher TDP.

You don't need to repair motherboard, if you entered something, which made you unable to POST, just disassemble it, and remove cpu from socket and back, it will reset settings.

One example is setting offset in bios, that will make it semi bricked.

Been able to game with undervolted 4G, but stressing it will reach current and TDP limit, so final ratio will be around 3.7-3.8GHz.

1 hour ago, ghoul said:

Hi

Like I said before, any TDP related settings were ineffective, even tuned down, TDP was at CPU default,  IA current limit was below cpu default, so EC protects VRM circuit, by limiting current.

in XTU any related setting were ineffective as well, ratio could be set, and voltage offsets.

4930MX if you can deal with the heat is way better than 4900MQ because of higher TDP.

You don't need to repair motherboard, if you entered something, which made you unable to POST, just disassemble it, and remove cpu from socket and back, it will reset settings.

One example is setting offset in bios, that will make it semi bricked.

Been able to game with undervolted 4G, but stressing it will reach current and TDP limit, so final ratio will be around 3.7-3.8GHz.

This was with the on board GPU enabled correct?

It stands to reason it may behave differently with the onboard GPU disabled, or you think that is flawed logic?

Thanks for your info ghoul!

1 hour ago, TheReciever said:

This was with the on board GPU enabled correct?

It stands to reason it may behave differently with the onboard GPU disabled, or you think that is flawed logic?

Thanks for your info ghoul!

No, it did not matter, using sli or not. Why would it matter? in case using iGPU, TDP will remain, and some percent of TDP will be eaten up by GPU, so without SLI, you would be in even worse situation. Current limit is separate between rails, but TDP is not.

You are welcome.

Edited by ghoul

2 minutes ago, ghoul said:

No, it did not matter, using sli or not.

You are welcome.

Oh no, I was confirming onboard GPU not the ultrabay 755m

But thanks!

Im curious if it will behave differently when there isnt as much draw from the onboard 755m. I am not sure if it can be disabled to the point of no power draw but it should certainly be reduced. Temps right now for me are about 72c max load but I also noticed that the fan curve has priority on the GPU. Meaning CPU full load = little increase in speed, GPU load increase = fan speed increase to max allowed on curve.

14 minutes ago, TheReciever said:

Oh no, I was confirming onboard GPU not the ultrabay 755m

But thanks!

Im curious if it will behave differently when there isnt as much draw from the onboard 755m. I am not sure if it can be disabled to the point of no power draw but it should certainly be reduced. Temps right now for me are about 72c max load but I also noticed that the fan curve has priority on the GPU. Meaning CPU full load = little increase in speed, GPU load increase = fan speed increase to max allowed on curve.

using SLI, meaning with ultrabay inserted and onbard gpu disabled....

CPU and onboard nv gpu is using different power rails, those are not affecting each other, other than common heatpipe.

If you are reaching dc input max, then battery will be drawn, and after that, it will shut itself down, to prevent failure, but, normally you will not reach that.

Usually people refer to IGP as integrated from my experience so I guess thats were communication didnt line up.

I dont think it will be able to draw 170w with just the CPU and motherboard though so I am not concerned about that, whether we have the ability to do so, is what we want to figure out lol

TheReciver as I mentioned earlier I could falsify TDP CPU indication on my current mobo with powercut option from throttlestop and with addition of manually setting VCCIN around 2 volts but basing on the experience with this mobo I think that EDP Current limit is either set by EC or hard-coded into voltage controller and right around the corner - maybe well reach 4ghz stable on around 60 watts. I should be able to exchange new motherboard for proper one (if they have them) in a day or two and maybe ill check the previous one tomorrow so we'll see.

20 hours ago, TheReciever said:

Usually people refer to IGP as integrated from my experience so I guess thats were communication didnt line up.

I dont think it will be able to draw 170w with just the CPU and motherboard though so I am not concerned about that, whether we have the ability to do so, is what we want to figure out lol

Yes, I'm aware that, but since you cannot enable IGPU with ultrabay gpu inserted, it's pretty straight what happens with IGPU when ultrabay is present. And since we are talking about CPU it wasn't a far shot ;)

19 hours ago, Zwierzak said:

TheReciver as I mentioned earlier I could falsify TDP CPU indication on my current mobo with powercut option from throttlestop and with addition of manually setting VCCIN around 2 volts but basing on the experience with this mobo I think that EDP Current limit is either set by EC or hard-coded into voltage controller and right around the corner - maybe well reach 4ghz stable on around 60 watts. I should be able to exchange new motherboard for proper one (if they have them) in a day or two and maybe ill check the previous one tomorrow so we'll see.

Yes you can do that, but with that you can only fake TDP calculation, current of IA rail, (cpu cores and uncore) which is EDP limit in Limit Reasons stays. Read previous posts from me, IA limit is below default, so you will never unleash MX cpu in this machine even on stock clocks. EC overwrites everything, even if you set current to max, which option is present in unlocked bios. Which is to be honest is not that bad, since if you would be able to, VRM would have been smoked up. It is not designed for that current, and cooling of it is nonexistent.

Ghoul did you read what I wrote besides the part about throttlestop ? I'm well aware of EDP current limit - but from what I could see during my tries with 4930mx at 3.8ghz, CPU was throttled by TDP not EDP so there just might be a bit more overhead in EC limit, maybe enough to get to 4ghz under gaming load maybe not. As to VRM locking its definitely not a good thing - we can easily modify cooling for it but if EC doesn't allow changing current values then we are out of luck. Maybe we could find someone who could unlock it in EC for us?

Well that depends on what You mean by "substantial" ;). And the sense of such expenditure would hang on defining theoretical VRM and whole power section durability, if we could lets say go up to 80W of power for cpu (4.2-4.4ghz) without burning it out then we could think about money spending. I've already spent over a 1000$ on this "toy" so adding some extra bucks ain't that big of a deal.

Edited by Zwierzak

Firstly I would contact electronic engineer and ask him about estimation of power section durability. Ill try my local laptop repairman but ill doubt he will be able deduce that. If I recall correctly You are studying on some technical academy so maybe you could find someone who would try it ? If there will be enough overhead for some serious OC, at lest 400-500mhz than we can try to track down someone for EC unlocking.

No no, no technical anything here.

Online University, Im alone in my ventures.

Better chance at taking some high resolution pictures and posting them online to get that opinion. If you still got the extra board then you might be able to? Dont know if you have the camera though. I have a NEX-5T but Im out of thermal paste lol Ill need to order more before another teardown.

I really doubt that posting pictures will help us :) I think it would be better if someone with proper knowledge look at it -  I'm currently looking through y510p schematics but its mostly black magic for me.

I think VRM is built around NCP81103 but that's about all I can decipher.

I don't have high res camera that's for start, and I don't have full trust in "internet" knowledge - I'm old school in that matter and I prefer "face to face" consultations :D. I'll ask around  on polish NHL forum. There are some people I know who work in laptop repair business.

Meh, people are more willing to eat a bad review than they are to be known online to give bad information knowingly. People are attached to their handles.

Ive got a NEX-5T but need more paste before I remove the heatsink again. Might be a good excuse to try out liquid metal...

I guess it comes down to cultural differences, In Poland we still mostly live in real word (except the youngest part of population =/<20 years old) and virtual one is just an addition so people here tend not to care too much about their credibility online

Edited by Zwierzak

How does everyone have their adapter setup?

I do a lot of streaming so I want to see my monitor as well as my laptop screen for chat and obs and my desk is neither long enough nor wide enough for a setup like that. My laptop with the psu besides it takes up quite a bit of room.  I either have my monitor at an awkward angle and have to turn my neck to see it or I can't fit my mouse and keyboard on my desk...so annoying.

I really wish I bought a modular psu so I wouldn't have that mess of wires to deal with as well;  I actually think I got bait and switched since I swear the listing said modular when I bought it.

• Brian pinned this topic