Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Oh great, I've just noticed that apparently asking for a file is a misdemeanour here - great system btw, you can pay if you want something, try to write about things that other people already did, or get bashed - so I withdraw my request  (besides got it from somewhere else). Ill flash my junk and see what will happen - right now I have standard v3.5 message about non compatible VGA .

Edited by Zwierzak

This is getting little aggravating - Slv7 pack doesn't contain the 2.07 or any earlier bios and apparently nobody here thought it could be beneficial to provide permanent link to earlier bioses for dawnload. So could some owner of y510p provide a link to at least bios 2.07 and if possible also to the earlier ones ? I and probably all other people buying currently those adapters would be very grateful.

By the way - only 1 private message per day for the new users? Great idea techinferno, really great, big fan.

Edit: As it looks ther is bios v2.07 contained in Svl7 pack - I just couldn't auto extract it (I thought it is driver for EC) manual extraction did the trick. and after flash I'm waiting for egpu initilazlization.

Edited by Zwierzak

Ok finally I seem to have a "quality post" to add - and if I'm not mistaking it will be a blast - it looks like Gerald egpu adapter work with windows 8.1 - at least with Radeon Fury X :frantics: right now I'm putting 3dmark 11 through it and it looks good - my setup is not tweaked I haven't even put throttlestop on it but it definitely works - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12096638 and it do gooo :hyper:

Edited by Zwierzak
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yupp - if You want to use it with egpu - btw I've always knew that Lenovo is crappy company when it gets to treating their clients but extending the blacklist in never bioses so it includes also Radeon cards (instead of unlocking Nvidia)? That's really low even for them.  Btw Gerald, you know its probably "your fault" ? :thumbsup: I think they really and I mean really didn't like your adapter idea :D.

Edited by Zwierzak

For anyone who would be interested - after repasting cpu and other thermal tweaks my current setup should be as fast as a laptops  with 1070 and 6700hq and after switching to 4930mx it should gain on desktop rigs with 6700/6700k  while retaining full mobility of y510p (after adapter removal of course) and as it is it have cost me under 1000$.

In Poland you can get used y510p for less than 400$ (without second ultrabay gpu) Fury X (used) was ~350$ Adapter 100 (with deliver) and fanless PSU for about 150$ - for me that is exactly what I was looking for whole past year.

32795699_200.0.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol The Reciver you gave me a laugh  :D - no, y510p its not designed for 47w - actually it works great with 57w and it would go higher but... in bios there is TDP limit so without proper unlocked BIOS I cant set it more than 3800 mhz x 4cores on 4930mx :( btw what is a CPU power connector ? ;) .

I've reworked cooling - joined heat pipes from gpu and cpu with a clamp and added some Grizzly conductonaut between them to improve heat flow, enlarged fan intake and put conductonaut on cpu - I didn't even had to make fan mod (removing control wire) - with undervolt to keep power intake below 57w (-80mv on core)  it gets 90+ deegres C tops in TSBench on 3800mhz stable (8threads 1024mb sample), it gets to thermal throttling when I'm on igpu but only barely - when it completes the test (circa 90%). I would like to push it more but to do it I need fully unlocked bios - so if someone would have bios 1.1 for y510p I would appreciate a msg or a download link.

Edited by Zwierzak

4 hours ago, Zwierzak said:

Lol The Reciver you gave me a laugh  :D - no, y510p its not designed for 47w - actually it works great with 57w and it would go higher but... in bios there is TDP limit so without proper unlocked BIOS I cant set it more than 3800 mhz x 4cores on 4930mx :( btw what is a CPU power connector ? ;) .

I've reworked cooling - joined heat pipes from gpu and cpu with a clamp and added some Grizzly conductonaut between them to improve heat flow, enlarged fan intake and put conductonaut on cpu - I didn't even had to make fan mod (removing control wire) - with undervolt to keep power intake below 57w (-80mv on core)  it gets 90+ deegres C tops in TSBench on 3800mhz stable (8threads 1024mb sample), it gets to thermal throttling when I'm on igpu but only barely - when it completes the test (circa 90%). I would like to push it more but to do it I need fully unlocked bios - so if someone would have bios 1.1 for y510p I would appreciate a msg or a download link.

You will not be able to. The EC rewrites the Amp settings which you likely have found to be 86A. This cant be altered, even with unlocked BIOS.

manual states 47w, though I will concede that disabling onboard 755m contribute to load allowed through the mosfet, however the power connector will burn, as it has for others...

see below.

Well - if the problem would lay in amps (limit on ~86A) then the CPU would be able to work with around 80w - at least at 4ghz: cpu voltage around 1.05V x lets say 80A would give it ~80W of usable power but its limited to ~57W (peak 60) which mean that limit comes from total wattage not amperage (there is probably also limit on amps but its wayyy higher then the total power limit). I don't know if its possible to change this limit in bios but without unlocked one I cant verify it - exactly the same issue exist in MSI GT laptops which make buying unlocked cpus for, however you would like to see it, robust gaming laptops, totally nonsensical, but there is a workaround in 4th generation gt70 and 60 (probably 72 also) with unlocked bioses - you can use TDP offset option to "trick" the bios into "thinking" that the cpu power is much lower then it really is - this trick doesn't exist in any earlier models, from gt783 up to 3rd gen GT's but, what's quite peculiar, with first gen models (gx660 gx740) you can overclock CPU to the limit of the cooling system  efficiency (or the durability  of the power section ).

I'm really not sure about what power connector are You talking about - if You mean mainboard power connector then it would be true only with very high loads as the whole mainboard is designed to withstand power demand of twin 750/755 cards +CPU + screen + peripherals, while I'm using only CPU, and if You mean cpu power section then I must say its much more robust than I've expected - 3 separate phases, each phase coil with double mosfets - on old Acer 5552 with x920be which I was able to overclock up to 3ghz with total power draw above 90w (it worked fine for years and still does) there are only 2 phases with single mosfet each, even in Gforce 980m there are single mosfets per phase and when I wanted to really OC it (above 1500 mhz core) I needed to add second mosfet per phase to have full stability (thankfully  Nvidia engineers planed it that way from the start and there are proper spots on pcb - we call it "after downsizing repair" :rofl:). The only way this could burn out is with bad cooling but I've already took care of that ;).

I might be new on Techinferno but I have quite a few years under the belt with laptop modding and OC.

BTW AW laptops are crap for extreme mods and OC, if you like to really play with your notebooks go for Clevo :frantics: sound is mostly mediocre at best, build quality is so so and they are usually quite loud under load but boy they can take the heat and power.

Edited by Zwierzak

In unlocked BIOS, yes, you can change all TDP values :) at least to 147w or someting like that where it becomes non-issue. But guys, anyway, if you consider buying high-end gpu and this adapter, also please consider that lenovo and others now put 1060/1070/1080 desktop versions into laptops. You might save some additional money and just buy new laptop alltogether. And from pure science/tinkering perspective, if you have some left-over gpu, it would be nice to have schematics of this adapter, maybe remove ultrabay connector and make this adapter ourselves. 

1 hour ago, Zwierzak said:

Well - if the problem would lay in amps (limit on ~86A) then the CPU would be able to work with around 80w - at least at 4ghz: cpu voltage around 1.05V x lets say 80A would give it ~80W of usable power but its limited to ~57W (peak 60) which mean that limit comes from total wattage not amperage (there is probably also limit on amps but its wayyy higher then the total power limit). I don't know if its possible to change this limit in bios but without unlocked one I cant verify it.

1 hour ago, Zwierzak said:

snip

It would actually bring it down to 3.8Ghz on 4 core turbo as others have experienced in the past.

Im not sure why your implying I am making less of your scenario or your level of knowledge on the subject, if you can quote it. Ill amend my responses to you. I base what I have stated on others experiences that have already had the 4930mx.

You can easily disable the 755m but does that actually remove its capability to draw power?

I also want to get a 4930mx and clock it to the moon to eliminate the CPU bottleneck and prolong the in use time of the machine.

Any reason why you havent tried the 2.07 version provided here? is that BIOS not unlocked? or is it just a whitelist removal?

Please dont mistake, its more precaution in my statements. I'd hate for someone to try and save some cash while getting performance only to have their laptop become a paperweight based on our posts here lol

@lil kim

I dont support BGA garbage or nvidia. Removing overclocking, calling it a bug that was fixed and that we should be thankful is crap. I am buying the hardware and not a license. Intel doesnt like giving us options anymore? Thats fine, Ill get more than enough performance from Haswell and MXM 3.0 or PGA dont make a come back ill just switch to SFF Ryzen in the future. 1300-1400 for a bare minimum 1060 system or this adapter +rx 480/144hz monitor/240w PSU, for like 500? Guess it depends on your location, but I have Yongsang Electronics market and can get better deals on PC parts. Where do you guys think all those cheap Korean panels came from? :)

I'd rather buy another laptop with a 4910mq/4930mx and just transplant it. Though of course that option completely depends on availability on pricing.

4 hours ago, lil kim said:

In unlocked BIOS, yes, you can change all TDP values :) at least to 147w or someting like that where it becomes non-issue. But guys, anyway, if you consider buying high-end gpu and this adapter, also please consider that lenovo and others now put 1060/1070/1080 desktop versions into laptops. You might save some additional money and just buy new laptop alltogether. And from pure science/tinkering perspective, if you have some left-over gpu, it would be nice to have schematics of this adapter, maybe remove ultrabay connector and make this adapter ourselves. 

Buying an adapter +psu+ gpu is definitely not cheaper than buying a brand new laptop even if you buy all the parts brand new.

Edit: That "not" shouldn't be there.

Edited by babbler

1 hour ago, babbler said:

Buying an adapter +psu+ gpu is definitely not cheaper than buying a brand new laptop even if you buy all the parts brand new.

Dont forget though you will also likely need a keyboard, and monitor as well.

Not trying to undermine your point but just better to have full context :)

Also Im not sure when I recommended Alienwares? If you can quote it, I would appreciate it.

Clevo is only worthwhile if Prema BIOS is available otherwise I wouldnt bother with them either...

Edited by TheReciever

Ok lets start from the bottom - using something like gtx 1070 with 17" screen is like using Porsche 911 engine with Fiat Punto chassis - sure it will go faster then normal Punto but the pleasure from that ride wont be nowhere near real 911 - to fully appreciate power of something like Radeon Fury X or 1070 you simply need big screen - so I've bought one when I've got my first laptop with 980m - now i have 27" qhd screen, 4K one would be a overkill for  those cards - for that resolution You should get at least GTX 1080 or maybe incoming AMD Vega cards - so we had tat covered ;) And that screen brand new was 350$. Keyboard mouse and cables are for "pennies" i don't think i spent more then 50$ for them.

:Blabber if you can show me a brand new laptop with 1070 gpu for less then 1600$ or used one under 1000$ in Europa then You just might be right ;)  - in Poland you could buy new y510p for less then 700$ Radeon fury x is a bit different story and it cost about the same as the whole Laptop so we have another 700 - in total 700+700+100 for setup+ adapter and another 150 for PSU ( but only if you want it silent, if not you can buy one for less than 40$). Unfortunately electronics in Europa are much more expensive then in USA but ... I haven't bought those components new so I've landed below 1000$ total - price  in which you cant buy anything more than used laptop with gtx1060, at least in Europe.

What's more I have lightweight functional quasi business/work laptop with really strong CPU and in conjunction with eGPU this have the power comparable to desktop gaming rig when I want to - I don't have to carry 4kg DTR, and double 755 are on par with 960m so they are enough for mobile laptop gaming. on the other hand I don't need a big desktop rig sitting in my room either - all I have are laptop + adapter with card and psu.

You both can believe me when i say I have a full context - I also have gt70 with gtx 980m and I was looking for good replacement for it whole last year - new laptops with gtx1070 start from about 7000 pln which is around 1800$ and used ones aren't much cheaper, its still quite new hardware, not to mention those "cheapest" constructions are simply really bad - overheating, loud, mediocre build-  good ones start from about 2000$.

: TheReciver as I've explained limit that brings down the cpu frequency to 38x max is not an amperage limit but total power limit - "TDP limit" is actually wrong name as TDP is Thermal Design Power which only informs about minimal needed heat sink capacity and there is no sensor capable to measure that - proper name would be "total power draw limit" which is set a bit higher then planned TDP (as some of power taken by the cpu from mainboard is "used" instead of radiated as heat), at least in Intel case - so stated TDP for 4930mx is 55w and power draw limit in bios is set at 57w with 60w peak power - this "officially" should stop CPU from overheating above heat sink capability or drawing more energy than power section is able to provide, and  as a result it protects CPU and power section from "burning out" - but... in my experience its mostly totally unnecessary, all CPUs have thermal  throttling and thermal shutdown temps hard-coded and almost all power sections on mainboards have internal safeguards from overdraft of power and are much stronger than their matching CPUs needs.

In truth it just serves as a marketing incentive to buy more expensive models that are produced with unlocked CPUs in mind (without those limits). In old Asus g73jh I could overclock I7 920xm  above 3ghz x4 cores stable with over 100W power draw without any damage to mainboard or the CPU but neither Intel nor laptop makers really liked that outcome (getting more for less), and as the  competition from AMD on that market dwindled ( 2013 a10 5750m ES with OC above 4ghz was slower than 2009 i7 920xm oc@3ghz) Intel with laptop manufacturers started to limit it's CPU overclocking ability. As a result laptops like MSI GT from second to forth gen and among many others y510p cant fully utilize unlocked CPU.

As to what I was implying - based on Your previous statements I was under impression that You take me for a total newbie :D maybe I was wrong but I do try to check everything before posting - if you would read my earlier posts you would know that I've in fact had use 2.07 bios but unlocker provided for it only removes wifi cards whitelist - full unlockers work for bioses 1.1 and earliers but I cant get those and I'm not sure they will work with egpu adapter from Gerald (I think at least 1.1 should).

I can fully understand and support cautious when you try to help novice or inexperienced users - actually I try to show some restraints myself in such cases - but I'm not one of them ;) I've started my adventure with computers on c64, had Amigas, Pentium 1, 2 and 3 rigs (the last one is still in my family house as a  keepsake :D it still works) and so on. Actually I've already made some  problems with the y510p (with egpu to be exact) but I will get over them ;) as usuall.

Edited by Zwierzak

1 hour ago, TheReciever said:

Dont forget though you will also likely need a keyboard, and monitor as well.

Not trying to undermine your point but just better to have full context :)

Anything if a decent gpu in it is pretty close to double -if you don't go crazy with the monitor and keyboard- what the adapter and accessories would cost....here in Canada at least.

On 02/04/2017 at 1:36 PM, Zwierzak said:

Ok finally I seem to have a "quality post" to add - and if I'm not mistaking it will be a blast - it looks like Gerald egpu adapter work with windows 8.1 - at least with Radeon Fury X :frantics: right now I'm putting 3dmark 11 through it and it looks good - my setup is not tweaked I haven't even put throttlestop on it but it definitely works - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12096638 and it do gooo :hyper:

It's good to hear you got it working with Win 8.1 I was worried I'd have to finally make the change to Win 10.

9 minutes ago, Zwierzak said:

:Blabber if you can show me a brand new laptop with 1070 gpu for less then 1600$ or used one under 1000$ in Europa then You just might be right ;)  - in Poland you could buy new y510p for less then 700$ Radeon fury x is a bit different story and it cost about the same as the whole Laptop so we have another 700 - in total 700+700+100 for setup+ adapter and another 150 for PSU ( but only if you want it silent, if not you can buy one for less than 40$). Unfortunately electronics in Europa are much more expensive then in USA but ... I haven't bought those components new so I've landed below 1000$ total - price  in which you cant buy anything more than used laptop with gtx1060, at least in Europe.

What's more I have lightweight functional quasi business/work laptop with really strong CPU and in conjunction with eGPU this have the power comparable to desktop gaming rig when I want to - I don't have to carry 4kg DTR, and double 755 are on par with 960m so they are enough for mobile laptop gaming. on the other hand I don't need a big desktop rig sitting in my room either - all I have are laptop + adapter with card and psu.

You both can believe me when i say I have a full context - I also have gt70 with gtx 980m and I was looking for good replacement for it whole last year - new laptops with gtx1070 start from about 7000 pln which is around 1800$ and used ones aren't much cheaper, its still quite new hardware, not to mention those "cheapest" constructions are simply really bad - overheating, loud, mediocre build-  good ones start from about 2000$.

What? I wasn't arguing it was cheaper. Electronic prices in Canada are expensive too so there's no way you're getting a decent laptop with anywhere near the price of the adapter and accessories.

Yeah I grew with luggables in my household lol

But yeah if we can get the 2.07 BIOS fully unlocked then we might be in business. Brother @Klem just might be able to point us in the right direction. Believe, if we can get the 4930mx overclocked I am fully on board. I was just approved my "experiment" so I will be replacing my fan with a 10.4/11.4 CFM fan to enhance the cooling capacity for my project in university.

Just got to buy me a dremel and order the fan and I am good to go. This was all in anticipation of getting the 4930mx or 4910mq, not that the 4910mq needs it. I like to mod, its almost as fun as OCing lol

100% agreeing with You :D - I'm mostly doing it for fun and because prices of new gaming laptops are simply outrageous. I must admit I didn't know that there are stronger fans for  y510p - if You could just give me a link where to buy one ;) ... thankfully you can force standard fan to work at 100% efficiency - you have to remove a control wire from the fan plug (or to make it more convenient make a switch  that will "cut it" in laptop casing), but as it looks without fully unlocked bios its pointless because with moded heat sink power draw limit kicks well before thermal throtlling does :(

Edited by Zwierzak

Sure can, just note its not a "compatible" fan as straight plug and play, but works without extensive modification.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191200669308?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That is confirmed working in the y510p. Next I am not sure of, but I believe it will...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182464525447?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You can cut it sure but rather just keep it connected or even better. Put it on a small switch something like the following...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252714730588?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just need to swap the middle two wires and it should be plug and play, the link I showed before displays how it can be done on the first page

God to know but I think that as they have the same current as the original one they wont make that much of a difference - they have a bit larger rotor diameter but I guess You had to notice that fan blades in y510p have very peculiar double design - it makes them quite efficient and silent at the same time. What would be best is "cracking" EC fan table - just like in the MSI GT in which you can set your own fan speeds/tripping temperatures and even hysteresis - all we need is hex addresses for those values in y510p EC firmware.

6 minutes ago, Zwierzak said:

God to know but I think that as they have the same current as the original one they wont make that much of a difference - they have a bit larger rotor diameter but I guess You had to notice that fan blades in y510p have very peculiar double design - it makes them quite efficient and silent at the same time. What would be best is "cracking" EC fan table - just like in the MSI GT in which you can set your own fan speeds/tripping temperatures and even hysteresis - all we need is hex addresses for those values in y510p EC firmware.

Believe me brother, I have been waiting for someone to crack that since the y510p released lol The current fan curve has been the bane of this laptop. I even considered getting the opolar LC06 to work around this.

I have noticed there are at least 3 different fans used in the y510p though. I just bought a replacement fan as I plan to mod that one into the ultrabay 755m and it was then that I learned of the dual blade design. The one I have on my unit is a "traditional" fan blade design. Still the fan is only 6.4 CFM versus the 10.4/11.2 options available for modding. The laptop will be under a desk or hanging from the wall after I am finished modding.

I have my m4600 for mobile if I need to, its my daily driver right now anyways, and I will never be able to sell the y510p in Korea since its not localized and I dont know any hardware forums in korean, not to mention uses a different power connector This will become my desktop, and I will push it to its limit, I am determined to show the performance rPGA is capable of.

I will also be cutting 2 holes for the heatsink to breath as well. I used the coolermaster U3 fans as templates, and removed the grills from the fans to attach to the bottom of the unit. I will then be adding copper throughout the heatpipes, naturally the cooler master u3 will be cooling it with its fans directly, but also its what will be used to hang from the wall.

I dont like having the cables be everywhere so I have been thinking of a solution to that as well. With the U3, buy a pcie riser cable and let the GPU rest on the opposite side of the U3, along with a PSU on sort.  I havent decided if the 330w or 2 210w or maybe a 1U server PSU if I can find something that isnt too loud...

Well with that much modding I would rather go for custom water cooling block something like the one on Fury X ;) you could put a cooler with flat fan instead of 2.5" hdd and a pump instead of stock fan. I plan to keep my unit fully mobile if not for that I could even use some moded desktop gpu heat sinks under the chassis (there is no problem with connecting them tu external desktop PSU). But as I wrote earlier - unless we get unlocked bios and there will be option to remove or trick power draw limit it doesn't have much sense as stock heatsink modification is quite enough too keep temps in check - all you need is some Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid metal thermal grease, normal thermal compound like cryonaut or gelid and something to clamp heat pipes together, also some copper self-adhesive tape is quite handy :).

• Brian pinned this topic