Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

I'm so excited for my adapter to arrive. I've already bought a RX480 MSI Gaming X Variant. Just a quick question. What wattage of PSU should I buy for that card? Can you guys recommend good ones for me?

Edited by Charles_Que
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Charles_Que said:

I'm so excited for my adapter to arrive. I've already bought a RX480 MSI Gaming X Variant. Just a quick question. What wattage of PSU should I buy for that card? Can you guys recommend good ones for me?

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Supply-Warranty-100-B1-0500-KR/dp/B01F5LX55K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1489855697&sr=8-4&keywords=corsair%2B500w&th=1

Would be plenty for the RX480 alone. You can also opt out for a modular PSU for aesthetic and managed look.

12 hours ago, Tesla said:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Supply-Warranty-100-B1-0500-KR/dp/B01F5LX55K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1489855697&sr=8-4&keywords=corsair%2B500w&th=1

Would be plenty for the RX480 alone. You can also opt out for a modular PSU for aesthetic and managed look.

Thanks for that. Also, I don't know if this was already asked before but after you switched to eGPU, did your temps go down? I mean since no more heat from the internal GPU. So I'm guessing the temps should go down too right? I am concerned about the temps since this laptop is prone to thermal throttling of the CPU.

6 hours ago, Charles_Que said:

Thanks for that. Also, I don't know if this was already asked before but after you switched to eGPU, did your temps go down? I mean since no more heat from the internal GPU. So I'm guessing the temps should go down too right? I am concerned about the temps since this laptop is prone to thermal throttling of the CPU.

It did. CPU will have more thermal headroom. if you wanna get rid of thermal throttling for good, repaste the cpu is you never did before(stock thermal paste is a joke) and remove the keyboard so the laptop fan can breathe more air. I did that and CPU temps are around 40 at idle and only hits ~85 when fully utilized(100%), While gaming, it depends on the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

this is a wrong one but someone found the right one.

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/te-connectivity-amp-brand-21990151.html?p=44869647&utm_source=octopart&utm_medium=inventoryrefferal&utm_campaign=octopart&ref=OctopartFeed

I got the connectors and will receive them in about 2 weeks. I will start an eBay offer as soon as I have the new adapters.

Stay tuned :-)

Edited by gerald
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hi there, I stumbled upon this thread while looking to upgrade my y510p for Nier:Automata. As my laptop stands it can barely run the game and I was hoping this could replace my ultrabay's GT 750  with a R9 380X GPU. From what I''ve read (excuse me if I missed something, I'm fairly new to this) is that this adaptor will work with AMD GPUs and goes in the ultrabay slot but requires the bios to be on v 2.07 and the GPU needs an external power supply? Would there be a conflict between the GT 750 inside the laptop and the new R9 380X seeing ones nvidia and the other's AMD.

On 3/27/2017 at 2:32 PM, babbler said:

Anyone received their adapter yet from this batch?

Was just informed that my package is already at my local post office to be picked up. So will be picking it up tomorrow morning. Will post an update here about the package. :D I'm so excited for this. I'm from the Philippines if that helps. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Charles_Que said:

Was just informed that my package is already at my local post office to be picked up. So will be picking it up tomorrow morning. Will post an update here about the package. :D I'm so excited for this. I'm from the Philippines if that helps. :) 

Lucky. I have my psu and gpu ready to go but it just arrived in Canada today.

It annoys me that anything coming from Europe has to pass over where I live, go 3000 km to Central Canada for processing, and then 3000 km back this way to get to me.

On 4/16/2016 at 3:30 PM, gerald said:

This adapter is a new development. The first version has some drawbacks but it works.

You need an additional PSU for it to work because of the high power requirements of such a desktop GPU. 

I will start a kickstarter project asap because I am sure the whole Y510p community is waiting for this graphic boost ;-)

IMG_1896.jpg

Will this work with the y500? And is it still purchaseable?

2 hours ago, jxordan said:

So will this work with any 480, or just ones that use 8 pin instead of the 6 pin found on the reference card? 

Both the adapter and the gpu are powered separately by your psu

5 hours ago, jxordan said:

Yeah but a couple pages back people were having issues with 480s not booting because it draws too much power from the pci

Yeah, I see what you mean. Amd did update their drivers though to draw less power from the pci-e.

Edited by babbler

Hello :) new guy here.

Hi Gerald I hope you rememberer annoying buyer from Poland ;) Finely I got to put my setup together - XFX xts fanless 520w psu, R Fury X, and soon 4930mx cpu (havent installed it yet) - future up - 16gb 2133mhz ram but only if the rest will work ok. I would be very grateful if someone provided me with SLV 7 bios mods for y510p. As a new member I cant seem to be able to download it from his thread.

Anyone could help ? - pretty pleas

Edited by Zwierzak

• Brian pinned this topic