Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Hi Andrew,

This seems to me to be a power supply related issue. Are you sure that your PSU is fine? The R9 290 is a pretty power hungry card. it will easily consume 200-250W under load.

Someone else here had a similar problem and it turned out to be his power supply was faulty.

Oh wow that is a nice high end gold rated PSU.

Have you tried another card?

if its not the psu, then it is definitely either the card or the adapter's fault. although I doubt its the adapter fault since its working fine under light load as you've said.

I'm using an rx 470 with a 600W antec psu(gold rated too) and it is running like a dream. I play games for long sessions (4-5 hours) on daily basis. and I haven't experienced any major driver crashes like yours.

One more thing, Try GPU-Z render test and check bus interface under load. it should be running at 8x Lanes of PCIe Gen 3. otherwise would indicate a problem with the adapter(it could be not seated properly or simply one of the resistors or caps on it fell off).

http://imgur.com/a/DTxAe

Edited by Tesla
screenshot added.

Glad you like the PSU - I really wanted to make sure I could eliminate that as the cause!

Thanks again for the suggestion - running the render test shows the same bus interface as your screenshot.  I think it's a bit unusual that I could run that render test indefinitely without encountering any issues - even though GPU usage was at 100%.

I feel like I might be over-complicating something, but my experience doesn't sound quite as stress-free as yours - and the instructions earlier in this thread, as simple as they are, don't always work.  In fact, just getting the GPU to work each time I reboot the machine is causing me to rip my hair out.  There is some sort of really delicate process that I haven't mastered, that involves reinstalling Nvidia drivers, uninstalling Nvidia's again, plugging monitor into HDMI port & reboot, check if GPU is detected, if by a miracle it is - then I will reboot with monitor plugged into GPU, usually without success.  One sure thing, is that disabling the GT750m prevents the e-GPU from working. 

The card is firmly in the slot and not moving around. I really can't understand how I can simply reboot the machine, and the card is no longer detected!

Any further suggestions would be incredible, I'm going to win this battle. 

Update: I've read on reddit that Windows 10 might automatically install AMD Catalyst 1.000000 Drivers through Windows update and that would conflict badly with Crimson drivers provided on amd website.

I'm Sorry to hear that.

The installation process for me is as simple as it could get.

Apparently it seems that your hardware is fine. For me, I can run both nvidia and amd side by side or/and disable any of them without any problem. it seems that your drivers are broken. Try to do this(if yo haven't already):

disable windows automatic updates.

boot into safe mode and run DDU and erase both drivers nvidia and amd. then reinstall amd drivers on a clean boot.

I'll make a video showing off how everything is running on my y510p. ill update this post once video is uploaded.

Cheers.

Edited by Tesla
Added Ytube Link

Thanks Tesla, and nice video by the way

You were right about the drivers, and turning off automatic updates has helped with the reboots. Unfortunately the crashing during gameplay issue still exists, and does actually occur in GPU-Z render test if I wait long enough

I did stumble upon error code 12 in device manager, which blocked me for a while but went away.

Sounds like it must be a fault Gpu - thanks for all the help and I'll report back in once I have tested with another

On 25/01/2017 at 3:45 PM, Tesla said:

I'm using an rx 470 with a 600W antec psu(gold rated too) and it is running like a dream. I play games for long sessions (4-5 hours) on daily basis. and I haven't experienced any major driver crashes like yours.

What version of the rx 470 did you get? Any particular reason for choosing that card.

Not being critical of your choice or anything, I'm trying to choose a gpu and I'm just curious. I haven't gotten an adapter yet so this is putting the cart before the horse a bit.

I got the MSI gaming X 4GB variant of the RX 470 because I wanted a quiet and cool running card and it didn't disappoint me(card runs silent ~1000rpm under full load at ~60ish C). plus at the time I got mine there was a shortage of the rx 480(which is the one I wanted) and this card was the closest thing available to rx 480 performance.

Would I recommend it? Yeah sure its a good card for 1080p and entry level 1440p, However right now there are many good cards from AMD, many rx 480s and 470s to choose from. Also there are many nice discounts on the the R9 Fury and Fury X(around 300-350$)  which imo they offer best value for money if you want a solid 1440p or even 4k gaming (basically a GTX1070 performance).

Gerald has an R9 Fury nano which is also a great card. So basically all of them should be compatible with your y510p.

• Thumbs Up 1

On January 27, 2017 at 7:29 AM, Tesla said:

Thanks Andrew I am glad it helped.

btw Error code 12 indicates a driver conflict (2 drivers accessing the same hardware ports at the same time).

PLEASE! NEED HELP. I have this exact problem and still have no idea what to do. I plugged everything in correctly, downloaded the drivers needed for my graphics card through "Geforce Experience" restarted my laptop and now it shows (Code 12) in device manager. Is there a driver that is also located in the PCI bus 1 that I need to disable? I don't want to disable or uninstall the wrong thing and Idk what it is I have to do. Running on a i5 HP Pavilion dm4 and my graphics card is a Geforce 8800 Gts. Would VERY MUCH appreciate any guidance and help. I've been looking everywhere! And no luck :logik:

Edited by Roxus

7 hours ago, Roxus said:

PLEASE! NEED HELP. I have this exact problem and still have no idea what to do. I plugged everything in correctly, downloaded the drivers needed for my graphics card through "Geforce Experience" restarted my laptop and now it shows (Code 12) in device manager. Is there a driver that is also located in the PCI bus 1 that I need to disable? I don't want to disable or uninstall the wrong thing and Idk what it is I have to do. Running on a i5 HP Pavilion dm4 and my graphics card is a Geforce 8800 Gts. Would VERY MUCH appreciate any guidance and help. I've been looking everywhere! And no luck :logik:

I don't mean to be rude but this tread is about the the y510p/y410p ultrabay graphics card not the Hp Pavillion and geforce 8800 gts.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 02/02/2017 at 0:59 AM, Charles_Que said:

Hi! Is this item going to be available anytime soon? I'm willing to buy one in a heartbeat. I just discovered it now and now it's sold out. I do hope you make a new batch so I can get one for myself. Awesome invention there sir. :D

If you were a day or so quicker you could have ordered one.  You'll have to check with Gerald if there will be another batch but the last one was up for a month and barely got filled.

Edited by babbler

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.01.2017 at 5:50 AM, FLY AWAY said:

Hello! Is your y500 already brush into the cracked version BIOS? That you in the test "UltraaBay Pcie" have shut down this option in the BIOS .

QQ图片20170119105016.jpg

I have got unlocked BIOS, but I already sold my adapter, so i simply can't test it.

What "PME Interrupt" command doing?

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for gameplay footage + some benchmarks. Here's a video for you. I included some CPU benchmarks just as a bonus.

Thanks again to Gerald for making this possible.

Cheers.

So, has anyone managed to get one of these to work on the Y500 yet?

I'd really rather have one of these than the EXP GDC Beast or PE4C. I don't like having a cable permanently attached and would really like to be able to easily remove this when needed. Plus the x8 is a bonus.

Edited by Psyrecx

Unfortunately the plug for the Ultrabay is end of life and I can't buy additional plugs.

I have some PCBs but no plugs for it. If you can find the plug anywhere in the internet I can provide you the PCB.

A118113CT-ND  TE Connectivity AMP Connector
2199015-1  PLUG ASSY FOR 0.635 BAY CONN.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, gerald said:

Unfortunately the plug for the Ultrabay is end of life and I can't buy additional plugs.

I have some PCBs but no plugs for it. If you can find the plug anywhere in the internet I can provide you the PCB.

Can the parts be harvested from the Y500/Y510p Ultrabay HDD caddy?

20 hours ago, gerald said:

That is very unfortunate to hear. :(

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/PCNs/TE Connectivity/E-16-015642(2).pdf

• Brian pinned this topic