Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

@rusTORK As u have flashed the SLV7's mod, u shoulda got a Rom File of your own BIOS.

Have u ever tried to find out whether a GT650M's Hardware ID can be found in the ROM's Hex Value in the way I metioned before? I think I described the method clearly with pics.

If it can be found, I think we still have a chance to have a try. In this case we will need a chip programer which can backup/recover the whole BIOS chip in case that the mod failed, also need the tools to remove the BIOS chip off the motherborad. Considering is it worth to make a try for modding in that way is what should do next.

What worse, maybe it doesn't exist any Graphics Card's ID explicitly in the Hex Value. In this way, at lest I have got outta options. I don't have any other thing can be tried. Maybe it's time for Y500 users to considering sell the Y500's motherborad and buy a Y510p's one to replace it.(Also, CPU and a lot of things need to be replaced in the same time).

But as for me, I don't wanna replace it. I'd rather wait a few more month for i7-7700K & z270, they should be announced offically during CES2017, buy a desktop and retire this Y500 once for all. Cuz my Y500's weight and its 170W AC adaptor made it just as inconvenient as a desktop to move, I used it just like a desktop for years.

42 minutes ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

@rusTORKHave u ever tried to find out whether a GT650M's Hardware ID can be found in the ROM's Hex Value in the way I metioned before?

@David 'SOAP' Washington No, i was focused mainly on testing modded BIOS made by svl7. Maybe later i will think about this option. For now it's too complicated for me.

I think need to check Ultrabay pin configuration @Tesla talk about. 

If they are correct on both Y510p and Y500 - problem in BIOS.

If they are incorrect - Adapter is not compatible with Y500 anyway and must be replaced on new version which Gerald don't have.

But i can't do it myself, since when i open any page of schematics - i understand about 1% only of what i see. Maybe @lil kim have got more luck...

As a side note, i am founded at Russian part of internet interesting thing. One user disabled iGPU on Lenovo Z500 (he switched from Optimus to UMA). He moved 2 resistors and removed 1 pin (JP801) which was responsible for power supply to iGPU.

Here is that thread (on Russian language!):

http://www.rom.by/forum/Peredelka_Lenovo_z500_la-9061p_v_UMA_otklyuchenie

If Lenovo Y500 useing stock, not exclusively builded CPUs by Intel - it should have got iGPU inside. Unlocked BIOS have got lines to ON and OFF it.

Problem with iGPU in Lenovo is very old and deep. It first pop up when people try to turn ON Widi function. Even Lenovo responded on that problem:

dsflemming,

I'll need to look into your specific model - not sure why it is not currently listed.  Generally speaking,  we do refresh the submodels published to the web (our taxonomy is model which is the first 4 digits like 9541 and then a 3 digit sub model which defines some of the specific features of that particular config).

Evan, and All,

We have been investigating widi support capability on Y400 / Y500 with our development teams and currently we are told that these will not support widi because they are discrete only graphic subsystem and not optimus enabled. I appreciate the screen shots above from the PS ref sheet that list the HD4000 Intel video capability as standard part of the Intel CPU spec.  I suspect that when these spec sheets were published that standard specs of the CPU were listed and those do not reflect the overall capability at the system level.

We are updating information on the web to reflect that Y400 / Y500 do not support widi.

Updates have been made to the  Y series comparison page on the Lenovo.com site here.

I'll follow up to see what updates need to be made to other pages (including those listed above) to ensure a more consistent message on the capability of the systems.

We are continuing to explore this issue with development to see if a BIOS update could enable these features at some future point, but the present outlook is that it will not.  If this position changes, we will post a further update.  

For now, I think we have to proceed with the expectation that the Y400 / Y500 will not support widi.

Let's continue discussion on touchpad or other separate issues in their respective threads.   If the widi support issue is critical for you, then I would recommend you contact your place of purchase to evaluate your options.   

Best regards,

Mark_Lenovo

Original post: 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Wireless-Display-WIDI-issue-on-ideapad-Y500/m-p/993645#M74904

One more thing. If your will go on Intel official site and look for "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool" your will be able to test your CPU and get more information about it.

There are one test called IGD, which testing iGPU. I run the test and complete it, It didn't founded iGPU.

Maybe there is really no iGPU, maybe because it's disabled in BIOS or not connected to MotherBoard - i don't know.

IGD.png

Edited by rusTORK

Hello all,

New to the forum. Been following this project for a few months now. I've finally received my adapted, and awaiting my new RX 480. I have the y510p with the 755, so I believe I'll be able to help test the internal monitor soon. 

Major props to the inventor of this adapter! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am played around with modded BIOS of my Lenovo Y500 (disabled Secure Boot, Disabled PEG, Enabled iGPU - that kind of games).

I am enabled iGPU, i saw it it in Device Manager and i am confirmed that it's Intel HD4000 Graphics - i saw it's Device ID.

I got successful result only once, but entire system is freeezed (but not shutdown or reboot).

And today i got this message from Windows Update. There is no such device in Device Manager, BUT system sent request to Windows Update server and server sent driver to me!

HD4000.png

About Gerald Adapter - still no luck. Even when Secure Boot is disabled - i have got poweroff with Radeon X700.

Edited by rusTORK

@rusTORK Bro, at this point. why dont you try linux? perhaps you could get aronud that 40 sec shutdown with some tweaking. I dont have much expertise in linux when it comes to tweaking drivers but the linux community is huge, you might be able to find the root of the problem and maybe even find a solution for it.

@Tesla

1 minute ago, Tesla said:

Bro, at this point. why dont you try linux? perhaps you could get aronud that 40 sec shutdown with some tweaking.

It's still poweroff even in BIOS. Linux probably don't make any diffirence, but i will think about it. System Admin on my job also offered Ubuntu... so, yeah probably worth a try.

And yeah, i am not familiar with Linux\Ubuntu too. I know only Windows.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blk6Jeff said:

Hello all,

New to the forum. Been following this project for a few months now. I've finally received my adapted, and awaiting my new RX 480. I have the y510p with the 755, so I believe I'll be able to help test the internal monitor soon. 

Major props to the inventor of this adapter! 

yep, kudos to gerald. im having lots of fun with mine, in fact i picked up a freesync monitor couple days ago and its awesome. also planning to watercool the cpu of the y510p to unlock its full potential.

btw check my installation guide if you need help with it and good luck.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9686-y510p-ultrabay-graphics-card/&do=findComment&comment=148683

1 minute ago, rusTORK said:

@Tesla

It's still poweroff even in BIOS. Linux probably don't make any diffirence, but i will think about it. System Admin on my job also offered Ubuntu... so, yeah probably worth a try.

And yeah, i am not familiar with Linux\Ubuntu too. I know only Windows.

oh yeah i forget it does that in bios too, btw i was able to duplicate similar symptoms on my y510p by connecting a secondary vga display(using vga port in the laptop) and trying to boot into bios using lenovo's recovery button on the side *near the charging port*.

i look more into it. it might give us a hint on whats going on.

Some interesting info might be saw in Intel documents for CPU:

Mobile 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ Processor Family: Datasheet, Vol. 1 (172 pages, PDF, English)

http://www.intel.ru/content/www/ru/ru/processors/core/3rd-gen-core-family-mobile-vol-1-datasheet.html

A lot data about configuration (DON'T PLAY WITH UNLOCKED BIOS with GHOST OPTIONS!)

Also, in Compal documents i am founded Optimus. Switcher between Optimus and SLI?

Optimus.png

@gerald

@Tesla

@David 'SOAP' Washington

And everyone who are interested...

I am played a bit with BIOS today and got this. To get more data i have to boot in "safe mode". There is no freeze of windows, so i have more time to go in Device Manager and look.

This photo shown Intel HD Graphics 4000 without driver, but system recongnized it correctly. After several seconds windows freeze, but mouse is working.

IMG_20161129_230005.jpg

This picture taken at "Safe Mode".

As your are able to see - same device - Intel HD Graphics 4000, but with installed video driver and it's device id.

IMG_20161129_231301.jpg

Edited by rusTORK

Next picture is taken from AIDA64.

AIDA was able to see only data about Intel iGPU, but not NVIDIA cards.

IMG_20161129_232154.jpg

P.S. Should i create new thread for it? Since it's no longer related to Lenovo Y510p and Gerald Adapter? What do your think?

Edited by rusTORK

so I got recently the adapter and plugged a

Gigabyte rx480  G1 

with Antec 650W PSU

with y510p, windows 10, latest driver from amd.

I get image to external display from the gpu itself,

but I have a serious issue,

when I run a simple benchmark, even on small resolution

the egpu shuts down(complete poweroff) and also the psu (fan on psu stops spinning) 

Only reboot helps turning it back on.

I followed Teslas' instructions.

The one thing that is weird is that it tries to boot from legacy bios, doesnt find anything to boot and fallbacks to uefi, where it succeeds. Is this normal or can this affect something?

Really frustrated after all this waiting..

@Tesla any advise ?

Thanks

Arieh

Seem to have troubles detecting the adapter. Using stock 2.07 BIOS

This PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133

This card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202224

Edit: New problem. I have drivers installed, and can run applications apparently fine. However, any instance of shutdown causes the adapter to become non responsive, and the 755 to become detected again. In order to become visible again, I have to reattach the adapter (admittedly tedious), and power on, after which it appears to work again.

Here you can see that the card is detected (are there supposed to be two entries?). I have tried disabling and 'uninstalling' the 755 from device manager, but as mentioned earlier, it seems to reactivate when I power on.

The driver message is likely because i've never been able to successfully reboot to finish the install.

devices.JPG

nodriver.JPG

EDIT 2: I have no idea what I did, but when I woke up this morning everything worked fine (including the driver settings). Adapter and card fired on, and the dGPU was disabled. 

Great work on your product gerald, you should reattempt a crowdfunding effort once more people get the word out on this! You've changed the eGPU scene.

Edited by Blk6Jeff
New information

@Blk6Jeff Good thing you had it fixed, however let me break it down for you about what happened. having nvidia and amd drivers installed on one OS can cause such problems. you can easily replicate those issues on any desktop. and it has nothing to do with the adapter. so my advice to you and everyone who is experiencing improper shutdowns is to DDU and install drivers in a manner that when you install one driver, you have to make sure the other brand gpu is disable from the device mgr even if it re-enable itself.

Sometimes both gpus work in harmony with each other even when you expect them to have problems. for example when I upgraded and then later re-installed Win10 1607 anniversary update. the windows automatically detected that im using the amd gpu and installed both drivers for me seamlessly. So in short; DDU is your friend in these situations.

here is a link for DDU software http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Sorry for the long post.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 08.12.2016 at 10:41 PM, AndreiKan said:

Is it possible to get this to a 3,4 way SLI?

What? I don't think it's possible in notebook. There is no any other ports to connect 3-rd and 4-th GPU...

Well... actually possible via mPCI-e and NGFF... lol... No it's interesting, but performance will be low... haha.

12 hours ago, FLY AWAY said:

God, Lenovo and Y500 have a new progress?

Nope, i stopped my research at this point. Too busy right now (i need to write few reviews on my notebook). So, no experiments on it right now.

But the fact is - Adapter don't work on Y500. Main issue - poweroff after 30 seconds. Reason is unknown - it may be UEFI restriction (like Secure Boot) on boot device. It's checking connected devices at boot from it's data base and if they out of data base - it's simply poweroff. It's also impossible to disable only one eGPU - they have got same device ID.

Real ways to solve this problem - professional services which may dig inside UEFI, BIOS also Intel AMT/ME which may flash, edit and reflash it. Another way it's try to contact with Compal Support and ask for the help, BUT Compal is very big compaly and i think they may have NDA with Lenovo on such modifications.

Unlocked BIOS show a lot of hidden menu, but it's too danger for blind experiments. I have got positive moments - enable iGPU, but i am not ready to try disable eGPU. I don't know how to configure properly iGPU, i don't know parameters and i am not sure that Intel will share them so as Compal.

There are three main players in this problem - Lenovo, Compal and Intel. They have got data and they not on our side.

Edited by rusTORK
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/sli-with-different-cards.158907/

Recently I found this Hack Tech, It's been started for a long time but I just found it by chance.

Even though it seems to be end supported a few month ago and it's not suit for the newest Nvidia drivers.

Its existence means that:

"DifferentSLIAuto is a small, free tool that allows you to pair together different GPUs of similar generation/architecture to work together in SLI*
It can also enable SLI on some non SLI/Crossfire compatible motherboards, making it a replacement for the now discontinued HyperSLI program**"

These things can be done with a Driver MOD on software level, or by using VT-x.

So I think it means that the Hardware SLI part on Ultrabay is not the reason which kill our Ultrabay adaptor.

If the BIOS passed POST, Y500 & Y510P should can be SLI GT 650 with GT 750/755 by using this DifferentSLIAuto progrom.

• Brian pinned this topic