Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

5 hours ago, rusTORK said:

5 hours ago, rusTORK said:

Back in Bussiness

Power board received and replaced;

CPU cooler bought and replaced (too loud sound and vibration);

Also i am bought today Palit Radeon X700 PCI-E for test (just for $6.80!), plus i am already have got small TV to use it as external monitor.

All i need is disconnect old PSU from my desktop and connect everything together and cross my fingers.

I will try to do it tomorrow.

try the video card.

12 hours ago, FLY AWAY said:

try the video card.

I tested it separetely on Desktop PC at my work. Even played CS:S a bit. It starting and working well... maybe too loud cooler, but hey... 11 years old VGA! ;) So, video card is good and working, how it feel youself in Laptop with adapter - we will find out soon.

O.K., small update.

Everything is connected (Ultrabay adapter, Radeon X700, PSU, External Monitor) - result - System is shutdown power.

It's shutdown when i am in Windows, when at system recovery mode (F8) and when i am at BIOS.

There is no any errors in Event Viewer (system).

So, standard BIOS v2.04 (and EC v2.04) without MODs isn't working.

INFO from Device Manager:

Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

It's also mention that "Starting driver don't match with video driver which pass POST verification" (or something like that).

I think POST verification is at BIOS side.

Edited by rusTORK
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can anyone see if the software, "Lucid Virtu," allows for use of the internal monitor with AMD cards? It seems to be a platform agnostic version of Optimus. According to this datasheet, Virtu allows for output of the GPU to go through the main display output, rather than through the GPU outputs. Thanks for any confirmation.

Virtu's Flow - Found in this Anandtech Article with a lot more info

flow_sm.jpg

@rusTORK@Celestus@David 'SOAP' Washington@Tesla@gerald

Edited by skavi

On 2016/11/16 at 3:39 AM, rusTORK said:

O.K., small update.

Everything is connected (Ultrabay adapter, Radeon X700, PSU, External Monitor) - result - System is shutdown power.

It's shutdown when i am in Windows, when at system recovery mode (F8) and when i am at BIOS.

It's also mention that "Starting driver don't match with video driver which pass POST verification" (or something like that).

Do you mod Bios?

3 hours ago, FLY AWAY said:

Do you mod Bios?

No, not yet. First tests was on default BIOS v2.04. I will test Modded BIOS later on this week. I need to setup USB flash drive for flashing svl7 BIOS, read all instructions.

13 hours ago, skavi said:

Can anyone see if the software, "Lucid Virtu," allows for use of the internal monitor with AMD cards? It seems to be a platform agnostic version of Optimus. According to this datasheet, Virtu allows for output of the GPU to go through the main display output, rather than through the GPU outputs. Thanks for any confirmation.

Virtu's Flow - Found in this Anandtech Article with a lot more info

flow_sm.jpg

@rusTORK@Celestus@David 'SOAP' Washington

Unfortunately, Mine is a Y500. I do wanna help you to try it, but I can't even use this adaptor myself.

Here is the schematic of Y510 you asked for in attachment. It doesn't said Y510p, but I think it's the same one. Hope this will help you.

Y510.pdf

And a schematic of Y500 in RAR file

Y500.rar

On 2016/11/16 at 3:39 AM, rusTORK said:

O.K., small update.

The same symptom as mine. A 40secs deadline countdown.

Code 31 means that "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.", according to Microsoft.

I think that you have pre-installed an AMD driver before you ADD the graphics card(I don't think that you can install one within 40secs), and as you metioned before, i'd rather call your AMD card an "ancient" one. So a nowadays driver may not suit for your ancient card.

When I tried the Geforce 210 on a desktop, I have to downgrade to an older version Nvidia driver to use it. You said that you've tried your ancient AMD card on a desktop too. Did you pre-install the same version driver on your Y500 which used on the desktop?

If you didn't, plz try it again just in case. I wanna check that whether the Windows behaved normally or not, and is it just a 40secs shutdown without any other error.

And what device did you successfully add on it without shutting down again???

We haven't managed to test an Official 1.05 BIOS for it, because we did make a successfully flashback to 1.05 as I metioned before. Do you have any other 1.05 rom to make a try? Maybe the old version will works with it.

What's more, I think that you will backup your BIOS out in a ROM file after all (as you said that you gonna try SLV's BIOS, and the first step of that is backup BIOS into ROM file), would you like to try to find out whether the onborad nvidia card's hardware ID can be found in the BIOS hex value or not??? I'm on a business trip these days, I didn't carry my Y500 with me, it's too heavy for a business trip, I carried my T430s instead.

Edited by David 'SOAP' Washington

1 hour ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

You said that you've tried your ancient AMD card on a desktop too. Did you pre-install the same version driver on your Y500 which used on the desktop?

Nope. I don't think i can pre-install Radeon drivers. Installer look's for connected hardware (Radeon VGA) to choose and install proper driver.

When i am tested Radeon in desktop i am installed correct driver manually via Device Manager because Radeon X700 is too old (i am useing legacy driver v10.2). I simply selected proper *.INF file. When VGA is connected via adapter i simply can't install it before shutdown.

If you didn't, plz try it again just in case. I wanna check that whether the Windows behaved normally or not, and is it just a 40secs shutdown without any other error.

O.K., i will try. :)

And what device did you successfully add on it without shutting down again???

None. I have got only one Radeon and it's old X700. Yeah it's old and outdated, but it's working (i am confirmed it on Desktop). There is no reasons to buy something more new.

Do you have any other 1.05 rom to make a try? Maybe the old version will works with it.

Nope. Also i don't see any good reasons to backflash to old BIOS. Movement should be forward. :)

What's more, I think that you will backup your BIOS out in a ROM file after all, would you like to try to find out whether the onborad nvidia card's hardware ID can be found in the BIOS hex value or not??? I'm on a business trip these days, I didn't carry my Y500 with me, it's too heavy for a business trip, I carried my T430s instead.

I will try modded BIOS v2.04 by svl7 and after that need to dig more deep inside, but i don't think i will do it by myself. I have got Y500 and it's one and only my Laptop. =)

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

@skavi

Can't install it coz it requires intel sandy/ivy bridge graphics.

Well... your Y510P have got Intel Core i7 4700MQ with Haswell. =)

I have got Intel Core i7 3630QM Ivy Bridge, but... stuck with making bootable flash drive for flashing bios...

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tesla thanks for trying. If you have any more time, @goalque seems to be having success running the internal display with an eGPU by using AMD XConnect. Unfortunately, he posted his findings only an hour ago and has not clarified any of his methods. It does seem to be a promising path for driving the internal display with AMD.

Edited by skavi
  • Thumbs Up 1

FINALLY, i am successfully flshed modded BIOS v2.04 by svl7 in my Lenovo Y500. System starting and working good.

Bad thing is - modded BIOS didn't help. System with adapter and Radeon X700 still power off after 30 seconds.

Maybe there are any BIOS commads responsible for VGA boot? Since after mod there are a lot of them...

Or maybe there any... debug software\monitoring software? We don't even know why it's happening. No any errors to read.

Edited by rusTORK

Hello everyone, I am new in the forum and I am really interested in this topic.

Related to the BIOS, could someone explain me if I could apply this upgrade to my 510p with the BIOS showed below?

Otherwise, should I install a new BIOS and which version?

As you can  see this is new for me, thank you in advance :)

2016112ssdsd0_134252.jpg

@gerald

@Tesla

@David 'SOAP' Washington

I think Lenovo IdeaPad Y400/Y500 users are stuck for now. Adapter do not work and there is no reson why.

I have in mind several tests like:

1. Changing Device ID on Radeon card to NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (just for boot test);

2. Desolder SLI Bridge.

But it will be dead end anyway.

1. If BIOS will accept Radeon with Device ID of GT 650M it will only mean that somewhere in BIOS is restriction to accept only GT 650M or GT 750M card. We don't have anyone who may find this restriction, confirm it and remove it.

2. It probably break Laptop, since primary VGA needed for BOOT and iGPU is disabled on hardware level (There will be boot, but your will see only blackscreen sine there is no more VGA). Worst situation is when primary VGA desoldered, but laptop still poweroff after 30 seconds.

I still don't uderstand why Y510p accept Radeon, but Y500 - don't. What the diffirence between them? And i can find only one - Intel HD Graphics. This problem in unsolvable.

@rusTORK

As much as I would like to help, I don't have a y500/y400 to test on.

However, I don't think messing with your Radeon device ID would be a good idea nor desoldering the SLI bridge. I think both of these are completely unrelated to the cause of the problem.

imo it could be either a bios thing or probably a hardware protection circuit that is getting triggered by the adapter. the ultrabay port pin configuration could be different than the one in y510p.

15 hours ago, Tesla said:As much as I would like to help, I don't have a y500/y400 to test on.

the ultrabay port pin configuration could be different than the one in y510p.

@TeslaI am founded both schematics for Y500 and for Y510p. I will look, but i am not sure i can really see anything. I don't understand schematics.

On 2015-01-11 at 3:12 PM, Mokona said:
On 2016-11-08 at 7:20 AM, skavi said:
29 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

@TeslaI am founded both schematics for Y500 and for Y510p. I will look, but i am not sure i can really see anything. I don't understand schematics.

Could you share both of the schematics here? I do not think they should be different.

@lil kim Here is schematics for Lenovo Y510p (Compal NM_A032).

Compal NM_A032 (Y510p) Schematics.pdf

@lil kim Here is schematic for Lenovo Y500 (Compal LA-8692P).

P.S. It's in ZIP-archive because original PDF file more then 2Mb. I can't attach it directly to message.

Compal LA-8692P (Y500) Schematics.zip

Edited by rusTORK

• Brian pinned this topic