Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

On 30.10.2016 at 6:21 PM, Celestus said:

Another isse i find with the adapter is the ability to use internal display. As external display is a big no-no for me, i started to look around how does eGPU do it and well i think this will aplly to this adapter as well.

http://www.owen-lu.com/egpu

So read this from the Driver section(its for nvidia cards but it should explain how laptop displays work)

And basically you have to modify the driver so the laptop(optimus) thinks its an internal(dedicated) card and it will communicate through the igpu(integrated gfx) to internal laptop display (or something like that), the link explains this better. However i dont know about Ati cards, will they somehow work with optimus ? That ill leave for someone else to reasarch. Sadly no more time to resarch and i really wanted to post this.

This is what i am talk about early (keep it for future). There is a good tutorial how to force drivers to use internal display.

I have got also idea how to use internal display, but its' crazy. It's requied disassemblind of leptop LCD. You are able to find some tutorials on instructables. There is thread about salvageing laptop LCD and converting them in external monitor.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Convert-a-Laptop-LCD-into-an-External-Monit/

Since our leptops mostly powered by external source and with external display - it's no longer leptop. Best way on my opinion is moveing to complete custom build - open stand (or custom acryl stand). Yeah, i know it will be damn frankenstein - but it's already look's like disabled.

P.S. Tracking of part for my Y500 finally alive and it's left china and flying to me. I hope i can asssemble my leptop soon.

Edited by rusTORK

OK so the sli bridge idea is a bummer it would seem. So lets try another angle, how does latopt detect all nvidia cards and blocks them while passing ati cards ?  The answer to that would be the information stored in vbios(graphic cards bios). Start gpu-z and you can see basic info like bios version , subvendor and device id. By using  Nvidia Bios Editor(or something simmiliar) you could change much of that info and may be able to trick laptop in to passing the gfx. Obviously with that the drivers will no longer recognise the hardware , but you can manually force driver installation, but thats an issue to deal with if this works. The problem is you have to extract graphics card bios modify it and than flash the gfx with new bios,so preferably use it on an old gfx for test and backup original bios in case of failure(and you need a desktop with another gfx for that).

And thats just another idea more of a workaround it dosent really solve the issue, we cant be buying new graphics cards and flashing all theyr bioses just to make them run, but it would help to identify the actual problem is it device id, sub device id,sub vendor id.  Anybody up for testing ?

Heres an example of such info stored in vbios   www.majorgeeks.com/index.php?ct=files&action=file&id=941

I think we should stay focus on BIOS (and last version one). Since there was whitelist on WLAN - there probably whitelist on eGPU (GT 650m and GT 750m).

Yeah, it's possible (i think) to flash wrong data in GTX 1060 (and allow Y500 to see it as GT 650m), but if it will work - we need to swap all the settings from NVIDIA drivers from GTX 1060 to GT 650m.

And do it every time NVIDIA update drivers. It's wrong way on my opinion. Need to dig deeply in Y500 BIOS. Find exact problem and find people to solve it. svl7 did good, but if he can't help us anymore - we have to find someone who can.

On 11/1/2016 at 6:52 PM, rusTORK said:

I think we should stay focus on BIOS (and last version one). Since there was whitelist on WLAN - there probably whitelist on eGPU (GT 650m and GT 750m).

Yeah, it's possible (i think) to flash wrong data in GTX 1060 (and allow Y500 to see it as GT 650m), but if it will work - we need to swap all the settings from NVIDIA drivers from GTX 1060 to GT 650m.

And do it every time NVIDIA update drivers. It's wrong way on my opinion. Need to dig deeply in Y500 BIOS. Find exact problem and find people to solve it. svl7 did good, but if he can't help us anymore - we have to find someone who can.

We got the same opinion.

I think modding the BIOS is the correct way to cut the trouble head once for all too.

I searched for the whitelist removing methods for changing WiFi card recently, and I noticed that when people trying to remove the WhiteList limited to change Wi-Fi cards, both SLV7's Modded BIOS and the way which delete the whole whitelist module directly(I think slv7 also deleted it in the same way by deleting the whole module) will cause a trouble with BlueTooth function on WiFi card. You can find report for this issue in SLV7's "Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod" topic comment. So even delete the whole module of it is not a perfect solution for the WIFI changing.

But, I also found that others reported that just Find Hex Value of your original WiFi card's Device ID in your own BIOS ROM with WinHex and modify it to the target WiFi card's will solve the issue perfectly. No trouble with Bluetooth function.

What's more, I find that removing the mini pci-e whitelist is not necessary if you just want to use the EXP GDC to conncet to a graphics card but not connecting another WiFi card.

So I think that the whitelist on mini pci-e interface is targeted to WIFI cards, and of couse, it's a whitelist, not blacklist.

Maybe it's the same thing on UltraBay interface too. So that's why rusTORK said his IF adaptor(I assume it's not a Graphics Card, but I don't know what an IF adaptor refers to) can used with his Y500. But our Graphics cards cannot.

And, I heard that a non-whitelisted WIFI card can be added when the laptop slept(not shutdown), and then power on normally, and be recognized normally. Maybe recover from sleep condition doesn't go thourgh the whitelist check.

So, I asked other one to test it with ultrabay adaptor and an A-Card in the same way on a Y400.(My RX480 has been returned as I said before.) It won't 40secs shutdown, but the Graphics Card cannot be recognized. Maybe he didn't do it in a right way which I said, or maybe the Graphics Card connected like this cannot be Hot Plug at all.

If any one intersting in trying like this, maybe you can have another try.

And now I'll make a Brief Description for how did they remove the WiFi whitelist by modifying the Hex Value Device ID, but not delete the whole whitelist module:

//This is a Brief Description for WiFi whitelist removing, not tested on Ultrabay Graphics Card whitelist yet. Don't be mistaked!!!

1.Backup a ROM file of your own BIOS by using the fpt.exe(with command parameter in DOS).

b69afe19ebc4b745638251d8cdfc1e178b82153d.jpg

2.Open the ROM file you just backuped with EzH2O.exe(select the filetype to ALL(*.*) to show .rom files in the file selection dialog)

066e8011728b471053bb1b02c1cec3fdfe0323bc.jpg

3.Press OK button, minimize the EzH2O.exe(don't close it)

913aadfe9925bc31e1cae7565cdf8db1c91370bd.jpg

4.Open the WinHex.exe and press the OpenRAM button.

6dcff7a1cd11728baef76aeccafcc3cec1fd2c72.jpg

5.Find Ezh2o, and select Primary Memory, then press OK button.

371bfe1c8701a18bb067f4819c2f07082a38fe44.jpg

6.Now you got a lot of Hex Value, press the Find Hex Value, search for your original Device ID.

39faa8dde71190efdb707411cc1b9d16fffa6041.jpg

For example:
Intel N 2230's is 8680880886806242.

And in next pic it changed into AC7260's.

5c31d425bc315c608a448d218fb1cb134b54777f.jpg

And another example for how to get the Hex Value:
As for an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, its Device ID is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B1&SUBSYS_40708086.

c7044746f21fbe09038d25da69600c338544ad79.jpg

!!!Rearrange the part in Red Rectangle, 2 in a group, and you got your new Hex Value!!!

It's 8680B10886807040.

7.Press the Save button in WinHex after you finished modifying it.

If you got these msg, you have to restart modifying it again from reopening the EzH2O.exe. Be Quick for the modifying.

31df4ce93901213f18fea81256e736d12d2e957b.jpg

f62263738bd4b31cb2f0727585d6277f9c2ff804.jpg

8.Press the Save button in EzH2O.(You can reopen the rom file to check whether it modified correctly or not)

9.Flash the modified Rom File to BIOS by fpt.exe(also in dos)

81a218fbb2fb4316340b9bb422a4462308f7d33c.jpg

10.Reboot and set the BIOS settings to Default.

Here is the link to the original topic I found(in Chinese):
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3183773042

//This is a Brief Description for WiFi whitelist removing, not tested on Ultrabay Graphics Card whitelist yet. Don't be mistaked!!!

@Heterodyne @Tesla @everyone

Is it OK to try the same way in Graphics Card Device ID too?

Will it change the onboard d-gpu's ID just because the main d-gpu's VBISO is also in BIOS chip?

Will the VBIOS backup together with the BIOS in ROM File by fpt.exe?

I have ordered the adapter for my y410p, will report back if it works.

---2016.11.5 update

Follow steps as Tesla mentioned in the previous post. My Y410p recognized rx480 and the performance is very good. Thanks for your awesome adapter, gerald!

---2016.11.3 update

Just received my adapter, plugged into my Y410p (i7 4700MQ / GT750M version), boot without any error. Also,  device mgr doesn't show any new device or external card plugged in (designed to work like that?).

I'm on BIOS v2.07, Windows 10 anniversary update.

Tomorrow I will receive my rx480 and PSU, will report back if it works.

9cf_2016-11-03_23-29-38 (1).png

Edited by van
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 05.11.2016 at 4:55 PM, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

Any updates?

BTW, what Bios version is it on you laptop?

Hi, not yet, BUT, i am also have got good news - part for my laptop is in my country already. I hope i will receive it on this week. It's depend on Russian post now.

I don't really remember my BIOS version, but it should be last one from official Lenovo site - so, probably v2.04. Windows version is 10 Pro.

On 2015-01-11 at 3:12 PM, Mokona said:
18 minutes ago, skavi said:
19 minutes ago, skavi said:

Hey Gerald. Thanks for making this for the community. This Ebay listing has ended. Are there any more batches on the way at all?

I myself would be more interested in asking @gerald to share schematics :) I like playing with hardware, so maybe I could make this adapter for myself. Maybe it would be all wires and no pcb, but who cares, this laptop with ultrabay switching is already not very portable for me either way.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, intuxacated said:

@skavi I recently received gerald's adapter, but it doesn't appear to be compatible with with my Y500 (right now). Assuming you have a Y510p and didn't want to wait for production, I could sell you mine.

11 minutes ago, skavi said:

I'd love that! I'll DM you.

I'd love that! I'll DM you.

NM, only allowed to send one message per day...

@intuxacated PM me some means of communication (Steam, Discord, phone, text, etc.). Tech Inferno won't let me message you.

I'm not sure how to message here either. You can reach me at [email protected]

Edited by intuxacated

@skavi yes it is working fine.

First AMD did fix excessive power draw issues in a driver update.

Second, even with the power issues, the adapter is designed to pull all the pcie power from the external power supply too. so really its nothing being pulled from the y510p's motherboard.

ManyStrongWords has a video showing it running in his y510p

Edited by Tesla
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

@skavi yes it is working fine.

First AMD did fix excessive power draw issues in a driver update.

Second, even with the power issues, the adapter is designed to pull all the pcie power from the external power supply too. so really its nothing being pulled from the y510p's motherboard.

ManyStrongWords has a video showing it running in his y510p

Can I use the laptop's screen or is an external monitor necessary?

@skavi

External monitor is a must to play games. the internal monitor can only be used as a secondary display for windows applications or a web browser at most using the GT755m/750m. but yeah for the most part you're better off disabling that nvidia gpu and use the ports on your eGPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

When using ati card you need external monitor, if we manage to find a way to make nvidia cards work, than you most likely will be able to use internal laptop screen thanks to Optimus technology just like eGPU can.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just for fun, I tried to use all GPUs (Intel iGPU, GT755m and my rx 470) and surprisingly it works.

-RX 470 -> External monitor as a main display.

-GT755m -> Laptop's monitor as a secondary display.

-Intel HD 4600 -> another External monitor as a third display using the laptop's hdmi or vga port.

You may run apps on them separately as the same time, however it is not practical to use. dragging an application from eGPU to the intel/or nvidia one causes the app to crash immediately. But yeah it is totally possible and doable :D

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Just for fun, I tried to use all GPUs (Intel iGPU, GT755m and my rx 470) and surprisingly it works.

-RX 470 -> External monitor as a main display.

-GT755m -> Laptop's monitor as a secondary display.

-Intel HD 4600 -> another External monitor as a third display using the laptop's hdmi or vga port.

You may run apps on them separately as the same time, however it is not practical to use. dragging an application from eGPU to the intel/or nvidia one causes the app to crash immediately. But yeah it is totally possible and doable :D

Hey, is it possible to use all three GPU's in multi GPU configuration for directx 12 games. Have you tried it?

No I didn't. Plus keep in mind there are no games to support it yet except *i guess* for ashes of the singularity; but even so I think due to the big gap between gpus, the eGPU would get bottlenecked by the dGPU.

• Thumbs Up 2

Back in Bussiness

Power board received and replaced;

CPU cooler bought and replaced (too loud sound and vibration);

Also i am bought today Palit Radeon X700 PCI-E for test (just for $6.80!), plus i am already have got small TV to use it as external monitor.

All i need is disconnect old PSU from my desktop and connect everything together and cross my fingers.

I will try to do it tomorrow.

• Brian pinned this topic