Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

You can just unplug the adapter and slide in a tray adapter. Bam portable in 15 seconds.

Okay so i remember when i did my 1.0 x4 slot adapter the gtx 970 wouldn't run unless I disabled the 750m because if they are both installed it wouldn't run the 970 only the 750m. They just aren't compatible in the nvidia/device software. So I just purchased this adapter to experiment and see what I can do with it. Yeah so we'll see what happens. Honestly i'd consider de-soldering the 750m chip just to run the on board graphics and 970. OP look for my ebay purchase.

8 hours ago, hayden55 said:

You can just unplug the adapter and slide in a tray adapter. Bam portable in 15 seconds.

Okay so i remember when i did my 1.0 x4 slot adapter the gtx 970 wouldn't run unless I disabled the 750m because if they are both installed it wouldn't run the 970 only the 750m. They just aren't compatible in the nvidia/device software. So I just purchased this adapter to experiment and see what I can do with it. Yeah so we'll see what happens. Honestly i'd consider de-soldering the 750m chip just to run the on board graphics and 970. OP look for my ebay purchase.

Although a bios modded told me personally I have to desolder the sli bridge to be able to use nvidia gpu. I don't believe that is the case. imo it is a bios whitelist that is causing the laptop not to post. In BIOS version 3.05 and beyond, the laptop does post successfully but it will ask you to remove the adapter.

Desoldering the dGPU might not be the solution. and it might even brick the laptop.

I finally got Adapter from Gerald at Friday on this week!

But week BEFORE (or so) i am cleaned CPU cooler and damaged flex cabel from power button board to motherboard. So, i am waiting now for replacement part...

Also, CPU cooler started to wobble a lot and give very noticable vibration to entire notebook - i think i will replace CPU cooler too.

P.S. I am inserted adapter in disassembled notebook and... it's a bit wobble too. No strong fix inside. Maybe someone integrated adapter in 2nd VGA shell? Or maybe custom shell with Ultrabay lock? That will be nice MOD!

Here is braket only:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FOR-lenovo-Y400-Y500-Y410P-Y510P-bracket-drive-drive-drive-drive-bezel-cover-panel-laptop-shell/32331711527.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.296.YNZuIm&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_116_10065_117_10068_114_115_10069_113_10084_10083_10017_10080_10082_10081_10060_10061_10062_10056_10055_10054_10059_10078_10079_10073_10070_421_420_10052_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_1&btsid=8d7a78ae-0076-4bda-981c-67f1bbd86337

Well, I come bearing news.

So, I finally had the time to run some tests with both AMD and NVIDIA cards.

All test were under a clean Win10.

1,) With the Ultrabay whitelist removed i got the same results like with it. On 2.07 i got 30 sec reboots with black screen, on 3.05 hangs on boot with black screen. So far the whitelist is not the problem why NVIDIA cards doesn't work.

2,) For some reason the AMD card works for me on 3.05 slv7 version no problem (see screenshot), but I had to disable both the 750m and the Intel igpu, and I didn't got any 5-10 min black screens either.

As you can see on the screenshot all gpu disabled except AMD on 3.05 slv7 bios.

screen.png

Alright, mine adaptor has arrived yesterday and a new AMD RX480 arrived today. So I test it these days with two Nvidia cards and one AMD card, unfortunately ALL of them failed on my Y500(official V2.04 BIOS).

But it has a totally different failure behavior on my laptop. I can even get into desktop after entering the passcode, and it shutdown itself after about 30~40sec after I power on.

It totally cut down the power immediately just like what a computer acts when CPU overheating(definitely mine is not overheated at the time).

And I tried my best to open the device manager and took a pic of it before it shut down itself.

Device_Manager.jpg

It recognized a basic microsoft video adaptor with an Exclamation, and I also succeed to get the detail info was "This device has no driver", but I have no time to take a photo before it shut down.

Then, I plug out the PSU power, and surely the laptop started normally, so I checked the hidden device, I can find the graphic card and the monitor.

So, It means that everything is OK before the shutdown.

Then I check it several times in different condictions with 3 different cards, not enter the passcode, windows blue screen recovery menu, and finally the NOVO menu(press the small button with an arrow icon beside the power).

Blue_Screen.jpg

Novo.jpg

In ALL condictions it shutdown itself automatically after 30~40secs after I power on.

I-Display works and E-Display blackscreen(but the monitor is not in standby condition, the monitor got the signal to keep power on until the laptop shutdown).

So did I get another kind of 30secs reboot issue(But mine is shutdown)? And my I-Display works because Y500 doesn't have a i-gpu enable at all and connnet the I-Display to d-gpu directly?

Because of the novo button menu also shutdown automatically, I think that it must come from the firmware level but not system level or software level.

@Heterodyne , Do you sure for successfully removing the blacklist? Is this different behavior useful for you to find out the trouble head?

@rusTORK , you got the very same version Y500(the only difference is mine is a chinese version), plz check out whether yours works well or not and repost it soon, thanks.

And Other chinese users will get the adaptors tomorrow, they will check it on v2.02, v2.03 Y4/500 and v2.07 Y4/510p soon, and I will repost soon after I got the results from them.

Edited by David 'SOAP' Washington

On 2016/10/23 at 10:20 PM, rusTORK said:

But week BEFORE (or so) i am cleaned CPU cooler and damaged flex cabel from power button board to motherboard. So, i am waiting now for replacement part...

Also, CPU cooler started to wobble a lot and give very noticable vibration to entire notebook - i think i will replace CPU cooler too.

P.S. I am inserted adapter in disassembled notebook and... it's a bit wobble too. No strong fix inside. Maybe someone integrated adapter in 2nd VGA shell? Or maybe custom shell with Ultrabay lock? That will be nice MOD!

Here is braket only:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FOR-lenovo-Y400-Y500-Y410P-Y510P-bracket-drive-drive-drive-drive-bezel-cover-panel-laptop-shell/32331711527.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.296.YNZuIm&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_116_10065_117_10068_114_115_10069_113_10084_10083_10017_10080_10082_10081_10060_10061_10062_10056_10055_10054_10059_10078_10079_10073_10070_421_420_10052_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_1&btsid=8d7a78ae-0076-4bda-981c-67f1bbd86337

$20 for it, seriously? We can buy one at ¥20. Just use the same one on your 2nd graphic card is fine, it can be token apart from the 2nd graphic card. Or get a HDD adaptor on UltraBay and make some DIY to stable this PCB is fine too.

1 hour ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

Alright, mine adaptor has arrived yesterday and a new AMD RX480 arrived today. So I test it these days with two Nvidia cards and one AMD card, unfortunately ALL of them failed on my Y500(official V2.04 BIOS).

But it has a totally different failure behavior on my laptop. I can even get into desktop after entering the passcode, and it shutdown itself after about 30~40sec after I power on.

It totally cut down the power immediately just like what a computer acts when CPU overheating(definitely mine is not overheated at the time).

And I tried my best to open the device manager and took a pic of it before it shut down itself.

Device_Manager.jpg

It recognized a basic microsoft video adaptor with an Exclamation, and I also succeed to get the detail info was "This device has no driver", but I have no time to take a photo before it shut down.

Then, I plug out the PSU power, and surely the laptop started normally, so I checked the hidden device, I can find the graphic card and the monitor.

So, It means that everything is OK before the shutdown.

Then I check it several times in different condictions with 3 different cards, not enter the passcode, windows blue screen recovery menu, and finally the NOVO menu(press the small button with an arrow icon beside the power).

Blue_Screen.jpg

Novo.jpg

In ALL condictions it shutdown itself automatically after 30~40secs after I power on.

I-Display works and E-Display blackscreen(but the monitor is not in standby condition, the monitor got the signal to keep power on until the laptop shutdown).

So did I get another kind of 30secs reboot issue(But mine is shutdown)? And my I-Display works because Y500 doesn't have a i-gpu enable at all and connnet the I-Display to d-gpu directly?

Because of the novo button menu also shutdown automatically, I think that it must come from the firmware level but not system level or software level.

@Heterodyne , Do you sure for successfully removing the blacklist? Is this different behavior useful for you to find out the trouble head?

@rusTORK , you got the very same version Y500(the only difference is mine is a chinese version), plz check out whether yours works well or not and repost it soon, thanks.

And Other chinese users will get the adaptors tomorrow, they will check it on v2.02, v2.03 Y4/500 and v2.07 Y4/510p soon, and I will repost soon after I got the results from them.

I just want to know something for sure, Does it cut the power when you say "shutdown" or the Windows shuts down regularly?

I had a similar symptoms when I tried the nvidia cards on my y510p but with a black screen and laptop failed to post.

unfortunately i dont have a Y500 to test on but I can imagine it could be either a bios thing or more probably some kind of a protection circuit that is kicking on.

Edited by Tesla

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

I just want to know something for sure, Does it cut the power when you say "shutdown" or the Windows shuts down regularly?

I had a similar symptoms when I tried the nvidia cards on my y510p but with a black screen and laptop failed to post.

unfortunately i dont have a Y500 to test on but I can imagine it could be either a bios thing or more probably some kind of a protection circuit that is kicking on.

Unfortunately, it cuts the power, as I said so, it even shutdown when I kept staying in Novo Button Menu without doing anything. At that time, windows or any other System/Software Level program should not started yet.

So, it must be something on Firmware Level caused shutdown in 30s. And within 30s, everything seems to be alright, windows recognized a basic microsoft video adaptor and also one more display, this is what it should be without installing a driver for the graphic card, isn't it?

So all I can do at this time is waiting for others to try it on different version BIOS until someone findout a useful version?

On 2016/10/24 at 5:40 PM, Heterodyne said:

Well, I come bearing news.

So, I finally had the time to run some tests with both AMD and NVIDIA cards.

All test were under a clean Win10.

1,) With the Ultrabay whitelist removed i got the same results like with it. On 2.07 i got 30 sec reboots with black screen, on 3.05 hangs on boot with black screen. So far the whitelist is not the problem why NVIDIA cards doesn't work.

2,) For some reason the AMD card works for me on 3.05 slv7 version no problem (see screenshot), but I had to disable both the 750m and the Intel igpu, and I didn't got any 5-10 min black screens either.

As you can see on the screenshot all gpu disabled except AMD on 3.05 slv7 bios.

screen.png

Hi, According to your screenshot, it seems to be two different resolution display. Is the smaller one the Integrated Display and the bigger one the e-display?

Does the integrated display work eventhough disabled the integrated graphics card?

What happens when you didn't disable them? Hangs on boot? 30sec reboot? or 30 sec shutdown like mine?

Did you open the start up sound in windows settings? Could you plz recheck the windows start up sound to make sure does your laptop really hangs on boot or it just did't display any thing on the dispaly? And also recheck has windows started before 30 sec reboot?

;

And, one more Question for Any other users who succeed to start up normally, can your laptop read out the E-GPU's temp and fan speed? Does this the reason? I cannot find out any other reasonable things can shutdown the laptop like this. Or Lenovo DO did some tricks to detect the e-gpu and shutdown deliberately......What about other PCI-e devices? PCI-e SSD, network adaptor, or etc? Did them cause the trouble?

4 hours ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

Hi, According to your screenshot, it seems to be two different resolution display. Is the smaller one the Integrated Display and the bigger one the e-display?

Does the integrated display work eventhough disabled the integrated graphics card?

What happens when you didn't disable them? Hangs on boot? 30sec reboot? or 30 sec shutdown like mine?

Did you open the start up sound in windows settings? Could you plz recheck the windows start up sound to make sure does your laptop really hangs on boot or it just did't display any thing on the dispaly? And also recheck has windows started before 30 sec reboot?

;

And, one more Question for Any other users who succeed to start up normally, can your laptop read out the E-GPU's temp and fan speed? Does this the reason? I cannot find out any other reasonable things can shutdown the laptop like this. Or Lenovo DO did some tricks to detect the e-gpu and shutdown deliberately......What about other PCI-e devices? PCI-e SSD, network adaptor, or etc? Did them cause the trouble?

The smaller screen is the external one, it's and old 4:3 monitor I had lying around. I had to disable the igpu because every program kept using it instead of the AMD gpu. The internal screen works even if I disable the igpu, but that just the matter of how ju set up multiple displays. With igpu disabled the internal screen works as a secondary screen. 

No, with AMD gpu I didn't encounter any problem, it even works for me with 3.05 bios, it was plug and play basically. Only NVIDIA cards aren't working, which has nothing to with the whitelist, and I am sure I removed it because its similar to the wlan/wifi whitelist, and it doesn't boot into windows, with 2.07 it reboots with 30sec intervals and with 3.05 it just hangs.

9 minutes ago, Heterodyne said:

The smaller screen is the external one, it's and old 4:3 monitor I had lying around. I had to disable the igpu because every program kept using it instead of the AMD gpu. The internal screen works even if I disable the igpu, but that just the matter of how ju set up multiple displays. With igpu disabled the internal screen works as a secondary screen. 

No, with AMD gpu I didn't encounter any problem, it even works for me with 3.05 bios, it was plug and play basically. Only NVIDIA cards aren't working, which has nothing to with the whitelist, and I am sure I removed it because its similar to the wlan/wifi whitelist, and it doesn't boot into windows, with 2.07 it reboots with 30sec intervals and with 3.05 it just hangs.

It means that you haven't hear the windows start up sound both in 30 secs reboot and hangs condition? This Y-series even doesn't have a HDD LED.

So, any idea or thoughts of what caused the 30 sec shutdown? It's not a BIOS issue? Can yours read out the E-GPU's temp and fan speed? Or do you have any other non-graphics card to have a try?

1 hour ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

It means that you haven't hear the windows start up sound both in 30 secs reboot and hangs condition? This Y-series even doesn't have a HDD LED.

So, any idea or thoughts of what caused the 30 sec shutdown? It's not a BIOS issue? Can yours read out the E-GPU's temp and fan speed? Or do you have any other non-graphics card to have a try?

It's definitely a BIOS issue, but I have no idea what's the cause.

8 hours ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

;

Reading the eGPU temperature and the fan speed should work. I'm using the AMD driver Crimson 16.9.2 and a AMD R9 Nano. 

I have disabled all other graphic hardware in the device manager.

816199E0FF0C494D811E942C92F8C805.jpg

On 10/23/2016 at 7:20 AM, rusTORK said:

Here is braket only:

Thank you for being the test subject. :) If you can get this working I also have a Y500.

@gerald

@Heterodyne

@Tesla

@others

Thanks at first, and I'm here again with both good news and, of couse, bad news.

The good news is that both two Y510p we got works just fine with A-Card(still doesn't get any N-Card or other pci-e device to make a further test on them), 2.07 and even 3.05! And they tell me that the 3.05 even have an option to disable the D-GPU in the BIOS which will stop windows to recognize the D-GPU at all, and this can avoid a I-Display "screen freeze bug" when rebooting the windows.

Of couse, the bad news is that all of the Y400/500s failed including mine. Most of us have a Y400/500, that means only two mentioned above succeed.

We tested it on 3 different version BIOS Y400/500s, 2.02, 2.03 and 2.04. All of them got the same symptoms jusk like I mentioned before, the "30~40 secs shutdown". No matter what you do, the deadline countdown starts at the time once you pressed down the power button(Soft Reboots at windows 10 blue screen menu doesn't reset the countdown).

@Tesla So by now, there's two of 3.05 Y510p succeed(including Heterodyne's). Are you interested in rechecking why 3.05 doesn't works on your laptop again? Maybe you can get the real point meanwhile and help us. Or any advice for us? Is it the only way that we have to flash every version BIOS to make a try? As official version 2.02~2.04 failed, the only left and what we can find is 1.05. Does SLV7's crack BIOS 2.02~2.04 worth an additional try? Or any advice for avoiding bricking the laptop during flashing? Did you flash them under DOS or exe in windows or even chip programer directly?

And as for 3.05 is now MAY work but not CANNOT work and @Heterodyne said that it seems nothing to deal with the whitelist in BIOS, are we started at a wrong direction? What does EC effect in the whole system?

Heterodyne seems to be the only one among us who is experienced in modding BIOS level, @Heterodyne according to what you know, what else do you think can cause this shutdown if it is not the BIOS itself at all? EC, Thermal Sensor or anything else? Or we just not findout what tricks have Lenovo done yet. Which is more reasonable? Could you make a whitelist removed BIOS for Y400/Y500 for us to make a try? It seems OK for a Chinese version laptop motherboard to flash a worldwide version BIOS after one of us tried to do so and succeed on Y510p(2.07).

@gerald

One of us findout that the Y500 circuit diagram maybe a little different from Y510p?(See below)(Only thoughts cuz we are not professional)

IMG_0601.PNG
Are these two chip resistor the things circled in the circuit diagram? Did them have to be removed to adapt a Y500? And what other chip resistors designed on PCB are used for? Did they missed or have to be removed for a Y500?

If you can take some time to recheck the differences between the Y500 and Y510p in circuit diagram to make a sure that is this PCB design suitable for a Y500 or not, would be very nice.

I know that this adaptor isn't designed for a Y500 at a very begining and you never guaranteed that it works well on a Y400/500, but we do need your help now too.

@rusTORK Have you repired your laptop yet? I missed you so well.

So, the point now in brief is that this adaptor may not suitable for a Y400/500.

I may a little experienced about knowing what does windows or others software should be, or may be able to flash BIOS to an existed BIOS ROM, but as for a hardware error or BIOS level issue, I'd rather say that I'm a totally noob or even can't say I'm a noob cuz I have no idea about them, it's far more beyond my knowledge. By now the only thing I can do may just guess and try blindly.

Anyone who's more experienced plz help.

(I got more than 30 users who is interested in this adaptor gathered in an instant messaging group chat by now, more than 2/3 of us have a Y400/500. The older model Y400/500 goes out of date first, and the users are more eager to update it, isn't it. And most users of Lenovo is in china, isn't. Got crowds to be saved.)

@David 'SOAP' Washington  Heterodyne's y510p is different than ours (Manystrongwords, Gerald and me). Now as for the 3.05 bios (model of y510p w/pcie3.0), I already checked it extensively before -with slv7 mod and without- and in both cases it gave me an error msg "remove the adapter...blah bla". I tried to mess with the advanced display settings in slv7 mod and I almost bricked my y510p (in fact I completely bricked it by setting the display to the external pcie lol) but was able to restore it back thanks to team viewer, I was able to reflash older version remotely.

I tried the version 1.05 and it didn't not work. Now for the slv7 mod on 2.07/2.04 that will help you out if you've replaced your wifi card. and that is what im running at the mean time (2.07 slv7) but the whitelist has nothing to do with the external graphics card.

I don't encourage you to mess with the bios a lot as it can be bricked. If you really want to, then at least buy some spare bios chips in case something goes wrong.

I've confirmed for the y510p that both 2.04 and 2.07 work well with the adapter.

Edited by Tesla

On 25.10.2016 at 9:30 PM, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

$20 for it, seriously? We can buy one at ¥20. Just use the same one on your 2nd graphic card is fine, it can be token apart from the 2nd graphic card.

I have got plans to sell 2nd VGA after i test Gerald adapter and confirm it's working fine for me. So, i would like to don't disassmble 2nd VGA. =)

16 hours ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

Have you repired your laptop yet? I missed you so well.

Not yet and it will take LONG. I am ordered part i need on eBay and seller give me tracking number, but i can't get any data from tracking system.

Parcel sent from China by ePacket to Russia. Tracking type is LQxxxxxxxxxCN.

Also, i don't have any Radeon card yet. In fact i don't know what to choose RX 470 or RX 480? I am sure IF adapter will work - it will work as PCI-E v2.0 and not 3.0. So, maybe there is no real reason to pay more for performance of RX 480 which i will not really see? And another problem for me it's choose between 4096 Mb or 8192 Mb on board.

So, i am stuck now and waiting for news from tracking system and thinking about which card i should get.

Good thing is - i can take pictures of my disassembled Lenovo Y500. =)))) So youd don't need to disassemble it.

8 hours ago, rusTORK said:

I have got plans to sell 2nd VGA after i test Gerald adapter and confirm it's working fine for me. So, i would like to don't disassmble 2nd VGA. =)

Not yet and it will take LONG. I am ordered part i need on eBay and seller give me tracking number, but i can't get any data from tracking system.

Also, i don't have any Radeon card yet. In fact i don't know what to choose RX 470 or RX 480? I am sure IF adapter will work - it will work as PCI-E v2.0 and not 3.0. So, maybe there is no real reason to pay more for performance of RX 480 which i will not really see? And another problem for me it's choose between 4096 Mb or 8192 Mb on board.

So, i am stuck now and waiting for news from tracking system and thinking about which card i should get.

Good thing is - i can take pictures of my disassembled Lenovo Y500. =)))) So youd don't need to disassemble it.

8GB is really only needed for 4k video. If your monitor will be HD or QHD you should be OK with 4GB. Also RX480 is fine on PCI-E 2.0x16. Same performance as PCI-E 3.0x8.

Edited by xeromist

On 2016/10/28 at 4:34 PM, Tesla said:

@David 'SOAP' Washington  Heterodyne's y510p is different than ours (Manystrongwords, Gerald and me). Now as for the 3.05 bios (model of y510p w/pcie3.0), I already checked it extensively before -with slv7 mod and without- and in both cases it gave me an error msg "remove the adapter...blah bla". I tried to mess with the advanced display settings in slv7 mod and I almost bricked my y510p (in fact I completely bricked it by setting the display to the external pcie lol) but was able to restore it back thanks to team viewer, I was able to reflash older version remotely.

I tried the version 1.05 and it didn't not work. Now for the slv7 mod on 2.07/2.04 that will help you out if you've replaced your wifi card. and that is what im running at the mean time (2.07 slv7) but the whitelist has nothing to do with the external graphics card.

I don't encourage you to mess with the bios a lot as it can be bricked. If you really want to, then at least buy some spare bios chips in case something goes wrong.

I've confirmed for the y510p that both 2.04 and 2.07 work well with the adapter.

@Tesla You mean that you reflashed a BIOS remotely? Interesting. What kind of remote? Any Guide link for this? I want to take a look on it in case some day I need it.

I only know this laptop can Blind Flash by Press Fn+R with a usb flash disk(I need the laptop can power up and read the USB Flash Driver).

As you say, The two 3.05 succeed laptop are diff from others but no one can tell cause. What makes the difference is still a mystery.

And, also some update for today, whick I think it breaked your confirm. Another Y410p failed on 2.07BIOS & 2.07EC, it hangs blackscreen and won't POST. And it gave error msg "Unauthorized Slave VGA Card is plugged in, Power off and remove it" on 3.05BIOS & 3.05EC. Lucky it works well on 1.05BIOS & 1.05EC.

QQ图片20161030114124.jpg

And the BIOS File this Y410p flashed is the same one which a Y510p flashed and confirmed it worked with the adaptor well.

And what's more, it blackscreens once you plug the adaptor on but without any device on the adaptor. (It starts up normally without the adaptor)

As you know the Y410p flashes with the same ROM as Y510p, so I think there's no 100% confirm on 2.07 by now, now it seems to depend on luck.(2.04 not been tested cuz we got nowhere to find a 2.04 ROM, could you gave me a link to download for a test on it?)

Meanwhile, we got another problem. Two of Y400 blackscreened after flash back to 1.05. This time the blackscreen means they won't POST WithOut the adaptor, it can't POST itself.

So the 1.05 on Y400 haven't been test yet.

This is definitely a failed flash back. But the BIOS FILE named like an offical one and it has the same UI. It should works well but not. Do you know anywhere to download a 1.05 for Y400/Y500 more reliable?

On 2016/10/28 at 6:53 PM, rusTORK said:

Man, as what I said, all of five of our Y400/Y500s failed on 2.02 2.03 2.04 BIOS, I personally strongly recommend you borrow a Radeon card to test it before you buy one(unless you can return the one you buy). I have already return mine.

And, to be honest, I did't findout what a IF adapter refers to. Can you tell me what's the full name of it? But it sounds like not a graphics card. Maybe this difference caused you can start it up.

And we also noticed that both 2nd 650M and 750M can only work as v2.0 x8 on Y400/Y500 (But it works as 3.0 on Y410p/Y510p), as the other one among us has already point it out in this topic.

The 3rd gen of Intel core i CPU should support for PCI-e 3.0 and of couse the GT650M too. And the GPU is linked to CPU directly. So it is unreasonable for it, it doesn't make a sence.

But what's interesting is that it shows 3.0x8 once you uninstall the driver of it. So I think Nvidia's driver causes it.

So can you make sure your IF adaptor(whatever it is) support for PCI-e 3.0? And can you recheck what shows once you uninstall the driver of it, 2.0 or 3.0.

According to what you said, I'll borrow a GT210 which only support 2.0 to make a try for luck tomorrow(I got no where to borrow an AMD card which support 2.0 only). And then, maybe I'll buy a PIC-e to SATA3 convert adaptor and plug a SATA3 SSD on it to make another try(Or sth like this which is not a graphics card and can be checked whether it is functional or not). To see does a non-graphics card work with the adaptor on Y500.

Don't forget to repost once your laptop repired.

PS: I choosed a Sapphire RX480 8G OC. According to a Thunderbolt3 is 3.0x4(==2.0x8), so even thought Y500 can only work with 2.0, it is enough for it. And the new RX470d gets the best price-quality ratio ever.

Hello everyone, im very interested in this adapter, however im a bit concerned with the nvidia cards issue.(This is in regard to y510p) So i done some thinking of my own and id like to hear your thoughts on this.

So lets begin.  Why does the ati cards work (i asume they ware not blacklisted/whitelisted ) ? How do you blacklist something that does not exist ? Gtx 9xx series/gtx 10xx series did not exist when this laptop was made.

Following that train of thought, maybe its not the bios that blocks nvidia cards, maybe the moded bios is enough and something els interfers. What you may ask,the answer i came to is SLI Bridge. Let me explain why i think its the sli blocking the nvidia cards. The way sli works, is you have to have an sli bridge/ribbon to connect two graphic cards, but what about our laptop ? i t does not have extra ribbon. So how the graphic cards communicate ? the ansuer is through ultrabay slot, it has to have some pins responsible for sli communication, so if sli trys to initialize on ati card it wont work(as ati cards dont even have pins/tech responsible for that) and it lets it pass as some other device and it manages to boot, but what about nvidia cards ? They ar sli capable and sli trys to initialize, finds the card ,recognizes as sli capable... but different model than dedicated so it blocks it. Obviously we cant be desoldering sli bridge chip from our motherboard(too dangerous). So what if we simply blocked sli communications on the adapter with something simple like using nail polish on pins responsible for sli to stop conductivity/signal and possibly blocking sli bridge from detecting graphic card and blocking it and possibly allowing laptop to boot like with ati card.(obviously that requires knowledge about schematics and figuring out wich pins ar reponsible and alot of testing) Basicaly i think the adapter may be too well made, another thing to test would be to put Gt755 card in too adepter and see if that will work. But again its alot of know how and someone with the adapter and knowledge would have to test it.

Another isse i find with the adapter is the ability to use internal display. As external display is a big no-no for me, i started to look around how does eGPU do it and well i think this will aplly to this adapter as well.

http://www.owen-lu.com/egpu

So read this from the Driver section(its for nvidia cards but it should explain how laptop displays work)

And basically you have to modify the driver so the laptop(optimus) thinks its an internal(dedicated) card and it will communicate through the igpu(integrated gfx) to internal laptop display (or something like that), the link explains this better. However i dont know about Ati cards, will they somehow work with optimus ? That ill leave for someone else to reasarch. Sadly no more time to resarch and i really wanted to post this.

So tell me what you think, am i onto something or did i just waste our time with something useless ? ^^ (sorry for punctuation and english, im in a hurry as i type this and english is not my first language as for many here)

On 10/4/2016 at 11:04 AM, Heterodyne said:

Hello everyone!

So I been working on the ultrabay whitelist removal, and I need some testers who can try it out. The bios flashes without a problem, but without an adapter I'm not able test that it works or not. So I need some volunteers who have an adaper and an NVIDA card.

Here is the 2.07 rom with ultrabay whitelist modified:  https://mega.nz/#!dp81HA7b!owk4YHjE5_VIlVZu4aWNTDn0xnAfVEs0EbRVXFjbNKs

This is for the Gt750m version.

This rom doesn't have the wlan whitelist removed, so you should unplug it if you have a non-factory wlan card.

If you are on 3.05 or higher do a rollback to 2.07 with the official updater and flash the rom.

Make a backup before flashing just in case.

If you willing to test, please post here the following:

1. Operation system

2. What GPU  you used

3. if you encounter something like reboot, black screen, etc.

Thank you!

@Heterodyne

-link is broken

-also, how do you mod the rom? is it configurable ? do you have source code and you compile ?-

I'm a software developer with some understanding in that area.

just ordered the adapter last week, for my y510p, and hot on new nvidia cards

willing to help

• Brian pinned this topic