Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

8 minutes ago, xan326 said:

What kind of connector does the ultrabay use? I don't recognize it and can't find information on it anywhere. Also; does anyone have, or can make, schematics for the ultrabay gpu?

Ultrabay uses a proprietary PCIe 3.0 x8 connector

Brvao, man. This is exactly what I'm looking 4 4 all these years. And it seems like u got stuck on the Nvidia Card won't start up problem.

Tesla said that he has asked an experienced bios modder, and I think the modder pointed out that the motherboard soldered hardware Nvidia SLI bridge is one of the points. Have u tried remove all SLI-link on that interface to avoid it try to start SLI???

On the other hand, I do believe there's a whitelist in the BIOS on UltraBay interface part just like Mini PCI-E. Cuz u can't start up with an AMD card when u r using higher version bios, and u just Cannot start with GT755M and GT650M SLI.

I asked someone who can contact with an Lenovo Customer Service guy, and he told me that when Bios start up, Bios Do need to read sth like Hardware ID which Write in VBIOS on the 2nd Card to start up.

(By the way I remember that back to the time Win8.1 came out with WDDM1.3, SLI Just Failed cuz Nvidia Driver cannot update the 2nd card VBIOS to support WDDM1.3, it sucks.)

And I do believe the omnipotent svl7 can remove it just like Mini PCI-E too , but unfortunately it says that he is 'Retired Staff' at this time.
Is there anybody who can contact him to have a look into this problem???

I think that masquerading a desktop card such as GTX1080 etc. by modified VBIOS into a GT650M/750M/755M is not the corrcet way to solve this problem. A totally remove of the start up check whitelist and a totally remove of all SLI-link on UltraBay may be the correct way.

Any way, just plz don't give up bringing Nvidia Card to this project.

F*ck the Lenovo for betraying all the customer who believed in its Ultrabay Module, and thank godness your project came out.

And forgive my English 4 any grammatical error or misuse of words, I'm not a native English-speaker.

Screenshot.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update:

I've just got my msi rx 470 and IT WORKED!

I had to uninstall nvidia drivers at first, and then i booted the laptop with everything connected, installed the drivers and boom its up!!!

I ran Witcher 3 and GTA V on pretty much maxed out settings and was getting around 60 fps. I will post benchmark numbers later.

So far so good. here are some pictures:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8U0SJYr4cK5b0tRQVUwZTdBM2M?usp=sharing

BIOS: 2.07. Windows 10 x64 version 1511/Anniversary update 1607

Edited by Tesla
updated image url
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey, I just created an account to join this discussion. Y410p with 755m. I was wondering about a pci adapter exactly like this, and found this thread.
I'm dual booting Windows 10 (UEFI) and ElementaryOS (Ubuntu based linux) on legacy. I'm reading right now about bios modding tools, but one idea is to post our bios on the forums and see if someone can whitelist (or un-blacklist) Nvidia gpus for us.
Can't be arsed to make an account atm. If I run out of reading and still can't figure out the tools, I might. Until then, if someone else wants to submit a request...

On 2016/7/13 at 11:11 PM, Tesla said:

@ManyStrongWords I found 1.05 on a chinese website, but I couldnt download it.

and yeah, it has a good chance to work with bios v1.05 or 1.07.

1.05 is available on this website http://ideapad.it168.com/thread-5599091-1-1.html.

Hi Tesla ! Here's from China. I've uploaded this bios file to dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0b5g5p5b0b5fh4/y510p1.05.rar?dl=0

(i've bind 4 part file into one)

Hope this helps u test the device.

I'm a Y500 user and some Chinese Y500 users are keeping a close watch on this post.

Good Luck!

On 2016/8/24 at 5:26 PM, Tesla said:

Quick Update:

I've just got my msi rx 470 and IT WORKED!

I had to uninstall nvidia drivers at first, and then i booted the laptop with everything connected, installed the drivers and boom its up!!!

I ran Witcher 3 and GTA V on pretty much maxed out settings and was getting around 60 fps. I will post benchmark numbers later.

So far so good. here are some pictures:

BIOS: 2.07. Windows 10 x64 version 1511

Amazing!!!!! Any possibility if I can buy this in China?

Hoping more information! 

PS: My English is poor, hope clear

Edited by HCao

Hi @HCao, thanks for uploading the bios, yellowzelo has already uploaded it some time ago and it turned out to be incompatible with the adapter, Right now v2.04 and 2.07 are compatible with AMD cards only.

As for buying the adapter, you have to contact the OP "gerald" on this forum.

#Requirements:
1-AMD graphics card(NVIDIA cards are not working due to bios white-list).
2.External monitor.
3.External/Desktop power supply that has enough juice for your graphics card.
4-Stock bios version 2.07 or 2.04.(slv7 wlan whitelist mod based on 2.04/2.07 will work just fine).
5-Windows 10.

#Installation(step by step):
1-Uninstall Nvidia Drivers (Optional), disable your 750m/755m from the Device mgr. and shutdown.
2-Connect your Ultrabay adapter, eGPU, and PSU.
3-Connect your display to the laptop's HDMI/VGA (to install drivers).
4-Power up the laptop.
5-Windows should recognize the connected GPU and will display it as Basic Video Adapter in the Device mgr.
6-Download and install latest drivers for your graphics card (AMD or NVIDIA).
7-Unplug the monitor from the laptop's HDMI/VGA and connect it to the external amd card.
8-Reboot!
That is all.

#Performance:
The adapter provides PCIe 3.0 x8 bandwidth(x16 Slot) to the external graphics card. The overall performance will come down to your eGPU and CPU horse power.

I've been playing games using the MSI RX 470 4G and the performance is phenomenal. Witcher 3 on high/ultra settings w/
hairworks off gives me high 50s to 60s fps. GTA 5 60fps capped with vsync. CoD BO3 90-120fps on high settings.

So yeah the experience is pretty good. No crashes or anything of that sort.

#Benchmarks(Core i7 4700MQ @3.00 Ghz | MSI RX 470 Gaming X 4G) - Updated(11/1/2017):
#3D Mark Fire Strike(CPU: 3.4 Ghz | GPU Stock clocks 1350Mhz/1750Mhz)
Score            10360
Graphics score    12969
Physics Score    9077
Combined Score    4512

#3D Mark Time Spy 1.0 (CPU: 3.00 Ghz | GPU MSI_FactoryOC 1254Mhz/1675Mhz)
Score            3545
Graphics score    3620
CPU Score        3177

#Notes:
1-Use a quality PSU. I am using 600W Antec PSU. Yes it is an overkill for the rx 470 but better be safe than sorry I guess.

2-I was able to enable the laptop's internal display by simply re-enabling GT755M from the device mgr. however you can't run games
on it. but you may use it for running other softwares. I'd recommend to keep it disabled.

3-You may disable the Intel igpu (Intel HD4600) but I recommend to keep it enabled, You can simply plug a monitor to the laptop's hdmi or vga port without having to take out the eGPU or the adapter. This might come in handy if you wish to reinstall drivers or access windows safe mode, or even for installing another OS (Linux for example).

4-You won't be able to see BIOS/Windows loading screen on your external GPU.

5-The adapter runs perfectly fine with legacy bios and uefi. If you're running UEFI Windows then make sure to enable "Legacy First" Boot option in your EFI/BIOS settings.(Otherwise the laptop might get stuck in a boot loop and wouldn't post).

#Links:

Photo Gallary - Y510P stock BIOS version 2.07 - ManyStrongWords YouTube video - Gerald's Setup

I'd love to thank Gerald for his awesome adapter. It brought life back to my Y510P. so THANK YOU <3. and great job man.

imo this is the best laptop upgrade ever.

Edited by Tesla
bios download link updated
  • Thumbs Up 2

Time Spy:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14608542?

Fire Strike:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14609264?

Sky Diver:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14610180?

Above are the benchmarks of the adapter with an RX 480 XFX XXX 1288mhz.

The power supply I was using with the reference RX 480 was bad, so reference RX 480's very likely work with the adapter.

I can confirm that the adapter doesn't work with Ubuntu or Windows 7 in dual boot.

So, the adapter is definitely Windows 10 exclusive.

(Ubuntu might work if you re-install it from a USB drive with the adapter connected. I haven't tested it.)

Even if you could dual boot, you cannot see the boot menu to select which operating system.

You also can't see your bios with the adapter connected.

So make sure you have all the settings configured to your preferences before adding the adapter.

@Tesla's instructions are excellent.

I would like to note that uninstalling your nvidia drivers are optional.

I am able to run many games with max settings now at 60 fps.

Thank you for this amazing product Gerald.

Edited by ManyStrongWords
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/27/2016 at 7:54 AM, Tesla said:

#Performance:
-The adapter provides PCI 3.0 x8 connection to the external graphics card. so I doubt if there will
be any bottlenecks at all. The overall performance will come down to your eGPU and CPU horse power.

I've been playing games using the MSI RX 470 4G and the performance is phenomenal. Witcher 3 on high/ultra settings w/
hairworks off gives me high 50s to 60s fps. GTA 5 60fps capped with vsync. CoD BO3 90-120fps on high settings.

So yeah the experience is pretty good. No crashes or anything of that sort.
My y510p has i7 4700mq, 16gb ddr3l, 256gb m.2 ssd, 1TB hdd.

This laptop use chipset hm87/hm77  it support PCIe 2.0. Why external eGPU show PCIe3.0@8x?

@jew2jew y510p's mobo uses hm86 chipset which is essentially same as hm87 but w/o raid support.

Back to your question. you're correct that the chipset supports PCIe 2.0 lanes only. but the ultrabay or the PCIe connection to the graphics doesn't go through the chipset. it goes directly to the cpu. and the haswell i5 or i7 that comes with this laptop does support PCIe 3.0 x16 lanes.

Now 8x of those PCIe lanes connects to the dedicated gpu(NVIDIA GT 755) and the other 8x goes to eGPU through the ultrabay.

here is a block diagram to clarify it: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm86-diagram.html

On 9/3/2016 at 2:58 PM, ManyStrongWords said:

Time Spy:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14608542?

Fire Strike:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14609264?

Sky Diver:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14610180?

Above are the benchmarks of the adapter with an RX 480 XFX XXX 1288mhz.

The power supply I was using with the reference RX 480 was bad, so reference RX 480's very likely work with the adapter.

I can confirm that the adapter doesn't work with Ubuntu

(Ubuntu might work if you re-install it from a USB drive with the adapter connected. I haven't tested it.)

Even if you could dual boot, you cannot see the boot menu to select which operating system.

You also can't see your bios with the adapter connected.

So make sure you have all the settings configured to your preferences before adding the adapter.

@Tesla's instructions are excellent.

I would like to note that uninstalling your nvidia drivers are optional.

I am able to run many games with max settings now at 60 fps.

Thank you for this amazing product Gerald.

Re: Ubuntu.

I'm pretty sure this is a matter of configuration, but it's beyond my pay grade. There's probably a log of /dev/ which would tell you what exactly it is seeing (if anything), which could potentially give you an idea of what to do next. Linux is a bit different than Windows in that you can hot mount more than you can in Windows, so you don't necessarily need to reboot constantly to get it working. What driver did you try with? AMD drivers have historically been shit, but apparently the open source drivers are not bad (not terrific, but functional) now.

Looks like you would probably want to boot with the Intel GPU and switch to the external GPU after booting (I think you could write a script to do this automatically once you can get it working). If you boot with the Nvidia GPU, it may try to set SLI (which it will fail to do), and fail to boot altogether. In theory you could set the external GPU to be the primary graphics driver, but I don't know if there would be problems with that.

Edited by dsigned
addendum

@dsigned , 

Yes, it is possible that Ubuntu would work, but I didn't play  around with it a lot. With Windows 10, you just plug in the adapter and it works.

I never got to install drivers because you can't get into Ubuntu with the adapter plugged in (it''s just a black screen). I didn't try hot-plugging the adapter though.

Even if you did get my Ubuntu working, dual-boot would be impractical because you can't see the grub boot loader menu to select which operating system you would want.

So it looks like the problem is deeper than just Ubuntu. Without being able to see the grub boot loader, dual-boot with any Linux distro is not feasible.

On 2016/9/7 at 2:04 AM, Tesla said:

@jew2jew y510p's mobo uses hm86 chipset which is essentially same as hm87 but w/o raid support.

Back to your question. you're correct that the chipset supports PCIe 2.0 lanes only. but the ultrabay or the PCIe connection to the graphics doesn't go through the chipset. it goes directly to the cpu. and the haswell i5 or i7 that comes with this laptop does support PCIe 3.0 x16 lanes.

Now 8x of those PCIe lanes connects to the dedicated gpu(NVIDIA GT 755) and the other 8x goes to eGPU through the ultrabay.

here is a block diagram to clarify it: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm86-diagram.html

@TeslaI'm still confused about PCIe3.0. 

I'm using Y500 with GT750M, I7-3630QM,chipset HM76.

I found that HM76 supports PCIe2.0 only(https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/chief-river/core-hm76-ibd.html?wapkw=hm76)

but my cpu supports PCIe3.0(http://ark.intel.com/products/71459/Intel-Core-i7-3630QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz)

Then I checked my GT750m:

sp160909_101151.png

If graphics  go directly to cpu then why 750m works in PCIe2.0x8? (According to NVIDIA, GT750M does support PCIe3.0)

• Brian pinned this topic