eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

iGPU is disabled in MBR mode. I also tried windows 8 in EFI mode, but it won't boot with eGPU connected. Right know I'm trying to install windows 8.1 in MBR mode and test it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, post us some pictures. Like setup 1.x after entering menu based, and after each compaction.

Details on your entire setup will help as well. I'm thinking it might be allocation, and could use a DSDT Override.

Show use some pics from windows of the display adapters allocated address as seen in:

device manager -> display adapters -> choose your igpu/dgpu/egpu -> properties -> resources -> memory range.

Preferably of any compaction you tried.

Do some setting not boot? Like compacting everything at 4GB.

Edit: I've just seen you said any compaction method fail, how so? are you sure tried all the options in the order

showing in the help menu?

Will do as soon as I test windows 8.1 in MBR mode, like Tech Inferno Fan suggested

Hi Nando4,

Is there an issue with internal screen video not being able to be used on external monitor?

I am using GTX 680 eGPU on MBA 13.3" (iGPU = HD4000) and when playing Tomb Raider on internal screen, I am getting decent frame rates (~ 60FPS on high settings). However on external screen either:

1. The game does not start (crashes before even starting)

2. Starting the game on internal monitor and redirecting the video to external monitor (via Windows + P key - and external monitor only option) plays the game on iGPU (instead of eGPU).

3. Changing the settings (on windowed mode) on external screen (once game is started) gives the options of iGPU settings. Nvidia control panel too does NOT have any 3D settings, etc options available.

Is there a known issue OR there is something more I need to do?

PS - All other games works perfectly fine on external monitor using eGPU.

Hi Nando4,

Is there an issue with internal screen video not being able to be used on external monitor?

I am using GTX 680 eGPU on MBA 13.3" (iGPU = HD4000) and when playing Tomb Raider on internal screen, I am getting decent frame rates (~ 60FPS on high settings). However on external screen either:

1. The game does not start (crashes before even starting)

2. Starting the game on internal monitor and redirecting the video to external monitor (via Windows + P key - and external monitor only option) plays the game on iGPU (instead of eGPU).

3. Changing the settings (on windowed mode) on external screen (once game is started) gives the options of iGPU settings. Nvidia control panel too does NOT have any 3D settings, etc options available.

Is there a known issue OR there is something more I need to do?

PS - All other games works perfectly fine on external monitor using eGPU.

Hi if all other games work fine,then try to look in the game laucher, there are few options like "full screen" and "exclusive fullscreen", not quite sure if it'll work but might be worth try cheking-uncheking those...

Hello, post us some pictures. Like setup 1.x after entering menu based, and after each compaction.

Details on your entire setup will help as well. I'm thinking it might be allocation, and could use a DSDT Override.

Show use some pics from windows of the display adapters allocated address as seen in:

device manager -> display adapters -> choose your igpu/dgpu/egpu -> properties -> resources -> memory range.

Preferably of any compaction you tried.

Do some setting not boot? Like compacting everything at 4GB.

Edit: I've just seen you said any compaction method fail, how so? are you sure tried all the options in the order

showing in the help menu?

Yeah, I've exhausted all options for compaction pretty much and checked devcon.txt too. I don't think MBR is the right way for me, right now I try EFI install of windows 8.1

update after installing Windows 8.1 in EFI: I just don't understand why I can see my video card in rEFIt shell using "pci -i -b" command, but windows 8.1 EFI just doesn't even list AMD Radeon as a device no matter what I try

post-19721-14494996678542_thumb.jpg

0A 00 00 - AMD Radeon R9 290

but when windows boots - no such device exists!

Hi,

I am currently running a PE4H with a GTX460 on a Thinkpad x220.

Is it more cost efficient to switch over to the PE4L for the Optimus 1.2x (more bandwidth than PE4H) or to simply upgrade my graphics card instead?

Hi,

I am currently running a PE4H with a GTX460 on a Thinkpad x220.

Is it more cost efficient to switch over to the PE4L for the Optimus 1.2x (more bandwidth than PE4H) or to simply upgrade my graphics card instead?

Probably gonna suggest doing both. Perhaps start with the PE4L and see if you like the performance improvement. If you don't so much then go about upgrading your card.

Hi if all other games work fine,then try to look in the game laucher, there are few options like "full screen" and "exclusive fullscreen", not quite sure if it'll work but might be worth try cheking-uncheking those...

Yup, I already tried that option too, but no use :(

Issue is that the external screen uses only iGPU, not the eGPU!

Yeah, I've exhausted all options for compaction pretty much and checked devcon.txt too. I don't think MBR is the right way for me, right now I try EFI install of windows 8.1

update after installing Windows 8.1 in EFI: I just don't understand why I can see my video card in rEFIt shell using "pci -i -b" command, but windows 8.1 EFI just doesn't even list AMD Radeon as a device no matter what I try

[ATTACH]9914[/ATTACH]

0A 00 00 - AMD Radeon R9 290

but when windows boots - no such device exists!

Sorry I'm not an expert like nando, so if he has a different answer I'll follow up him, but in the meanwhile may I suggest you try a MBR + DSDT Override and see if 56Bit+ compaction works? I

And when you said it failed, did setup 1.x not found solutions (it searches for possible configurations) for compaction or it did

it not boot or something else?

I know its a pain reinstalling, but If the card isn't showing in UFI, but is in MBR, MBR could be more favorable to you. I think nando

managed to get a AMD card on both with a 13" mac air:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html

Sorry I'm not an expert like nando, so if he has a different answer I'll follow up him, but in the meanwhile may I suggest you try a MBR + DSDT Override and see if 56Bit+ compaction works? I

And when you said it failed, did setup 1.x not found solutions (it searches for possible configurations) for compaction or it did

it not boot or something else?

I know its a pain reinstalling, but If the card isn't showing in UFI, but is in MBR, MBR could be more favorable to you. I think nando

managed to get a AMD card on both with a 13" mac air:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html

I managed to run compaction with eGPU PSU powered down. Error 12 is fixed!

HOWEVER, as soon as I load eGPU system reboots itself.

I suspect it could be power issue (PSU is more than enough though, Corsair 600w and eGPU is AMD R9 290)

or my long TB cable (2m)

post-19721-14494996682237_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Np, just wanted to make sure you didn't spend 200$+ and end up disappointed in the performance.

I suggested the 2570P since it is a very solid laptop and versatile, but of course there are other options. See the never complete list of suggested laptops here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html

Not sure exactly what your budget is, but I assume ~200$ for a lower end eGPU system and 400$+ on the higher end. Adapter ~80$ + GPU of choice 120+$ for GPU. Will probably also need the software from our glorious eGPU lord Tech Inferno Fan (hehe):

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html

^ great to have

Lemme know if you need anything else.

Well, I'm still at it. I don't want to give up on this. I still want to make an eGPU using my Tosh Satelite L300 PSLB8A-0FM004 . Has anyone seen this? Use PCI card on a notebook

Because it looks like this 3-slot XPRS-PCIX3 will do exactly what I originally drew a picture of and took it to a tech shop that told me no such thing existed (before I came across this Great Wall of fab info). That picture was of a (host) express-card linked (peripheral) 2 slot PCI external card with a graphics card AND a PCI sound card for my MS Train Sim. That's what I dreamed of, the external eGPU and ALSO (perhaps) have the ability to run an eSound Card.

Added Info: I just found this one too with 2 PCI slots. The pics show the guts of the thing.

Expresscard 34mm To Dual Pci Adapter Card Laptop Pci Extender - Buy Laptop Pci Extender,Express To Dual Pci,Express To Pci Adapter Product on Alibaba.com

$121 on Ebay fron China. Called an IT-GO or a COCO-3C. Looks like it does not have much room for a fan/s in the box but it would be easy to make another enclosure. Anyone tried one? - I think I'll pull the trigger on it at $121 delivered..

May I ask the opinion of our learned fraternity here what the consensus is?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have built a fanless and small desktop PC

i5 4570s (HD4600 iGPU)

PCI Express Gen 3

I have set up a EGPU with PE4L-HP060A and a Nvidia GTX650Ti.

When I'm not playing I use the iGPU (no noise) and I want to turn on the eGPU only when I'll be playing games.

So far the GTX650Ti is working, when I plug my screen on the DVI port of the eGPU I can run games in high settings (I get P4600 at 3Dmark11) but I have two questions :

- GPU-Z tells me the GTX650Ti is on PCI express Gen 3.0 @ x1 1.1 : How can I set it to 1.2 or 1.3 ?

- I first intalled the 331.82 version of nvidia drivers, then I followed that tutorial to mod the driver for Optimus and reinstalled it (I checked the make new install)

Obviously it didn't work, I can't get the nvidia control panel to open when the screen is pluggeg on the intel HD DVI port, and when I plug the screen on the eGPU I dont see the Preferred graphics processor option in the NVIDIA control panel.

Is there something I am missing to activate the Optimus driver for my eGPU ?

Is it possible to play game accelerated by the eGPU with the screen plugged on the intel HD DVI port ? (just like internal LCD on a laptop)

Thank you in advance.

JayZu

Hi Guys,

I am trying to this almost for 5 days.

I have a late 2013 rMBP 13"

I have pe4l and express card to thunderbolt adapter. I have bootcamp windows and also setup 1,x and thermal take hamburg 530w PSU.

The problem is I tried 2 graphics card gt 610 and gtx 660 ti

device manager sees gt 610, (so it means adapter and pe4l is working) but not gtx 660 ti (plugged both 6 pin connectors fans are spinning on normal speed, green leds are on behind the card, where the pins connected) I also tried every combination of sw1 and sw2 and the jumper. I can't see the card on device manager.

I don't know where the problem is, is the card burned? Does anyone has an idea?

Also does anyone has .bat file for late 2013 rMBP 13?

Hello,

- GPU-Z tells me the GTX650Ti is on PCI express Gen 3.0 @ x1 1.1 : How can I set it to 1.2 or 1.3 ?

JayZu

Hi JayZu and welcome to the community!

First of all to exclude the possibility of you missing the optimus link state 'variation', meaning you link speed 1.1 (idle) should jump to 1.3 (performance) in GPUz when rendering 3D, you should check this:

1. In NCP -> make sure you prefer your high Performance GPU, in your case GTX650Ti.

2. Add your game in the manual list of programs and let it prefer High performance GPU

3. Start the game.

4. ALT+TAB out to GPUz and check the link-speed again.

Please post your results and let us know what happens.

Hi guys!

Do anyone want to change your PE4L-EC100B (or equivalent GEN1 speed adapter) for my PE4L-EC100A (100cm) GEN2 , you will pay the shipping for both ends (can be negotiated).

The reason I want this rather strange request is because my workstation only seem to accept GEN1 link speed (GEN2 gives me a lot of problems)... and I have no rights to change BIOS settings, so no setup 1.x can help me.

You can PM me if you are interested.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'm still at it. I don't want to give up on this. I still want to make an eGPU using my Tosh Satelite L300 PSLB8A-0FM004 . Has anyone seen this? Use PCI card on a notebook

Because it looks like this 3-slot XPRS-PCIX3 will do exactly what I originally drew a picture of and took it to a tech shop that told me no such thing existed (before I came across this Great Wall of fab info). That picture was of a (host) express-card linked (peripheral) 2 slot PCI external card with a graphics card AND a PCI sound card for my MS Train Sim. That's what I dreamed of, the external eGPU and ALSO (perhaps) have the ability to run an eSound Card.

Added Info: I just found this one too with 2 PCI slots. The pics show the guts of the thing.

Expresscard 34mm To Dual Pci Adapter Card Laptop Pci Extender - Buy Laptop Pci Extender,Express To Dual Pci,Express To Pci Adapter Product on Alibaba.com

$121 on Ebay fron China. Called an IT-GO or a COCO-3C. Looks like it does not have much room for a fan/s in the box but it would be easy to make another enclosure. Anyone tried one? - I think I'll pull the trigger on it at $121 delivered..

May I ask the opinion of our learned fraternity here what the consensus is?

Thanks in advance.

Those would probably work. But note those are PCI not PCIe so you would have to use older cards. Can't really help you for suggestions.

• Thumbs Up 1

I need to bring attention to this for all that used my benchmarks for comparison. I MADE A MISTAKE. All my benchmarks were done at a Gen1 link.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-43.html#post74494

In that post.

Afternoon Chaps.

Just a heads up. I've had my ExpressCard eGPU for close to 2 years and its been ace. I've just written an article/thread/thing and put it up on the Neowin.net forums to discuss my success with it and talk about it in general. Feel free to check it out, I'm hoping we can bring some new people to this community and help to make it more well known.

Every little helps - and a big

- - - Updated - - -

Afternoon Chaps.

Just a heads up. I've had my ExpressCard eGPU for close to 2 years and its been ace. I've just written an article/thread/thing and put it up on the Neowin.net forums to discuss my success with it and talk about it in general. Feel free to check it out, I'm hoping we can bring some new people to this community and help to make it more well known.

Every little helps - and a big

....reminder to avoid accidently clicking alt-s before you have finished a sentence, and also a big thanks to everyone in this community for helping me over the past few years.

The link to the neowin.net thread is http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1191969-external-gpu-for-laptops-supercharge-your-graphics/

Cheers

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I'm wondering how everyone is able to tell whether they are running at x1.2opt... I have a Lenovo x230 running Win 8.1, [email protected], 8Gb memory, Intel HD4000 integrated graphics, and an EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked. Now, everything is running great (plugged it in, installed drivers, and it works!) however I'm a little disappointed by the performance considering a lot of weaker setups have posted better scores... I am suspecting it has something to do with the Optimus compression but I'm not sure how I can verify that it's working correctly.

Here is my 3dmark 2011 score and GPU Z. When the GPU is under load, CPU-Z reports it as changing to PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x1 2.0 (is that right?) Nothing tells me whether x1.2opt compression is happening.

5W92pBe.jpg

@luffy889 , good work in getting it going. Will chat more offline.

Hello,

I'm currently hesiting between purshasing the rmbp late 2013 and air 2013.

So i would like to know witch of these computer will be the best to use an egpu.

I saw that there is an existing solution for the macbook air here : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4271-2013-11-macbook-air-win7-sonnet-echo-expresscard-pe4l-internal-lcd-%5Bus%24250%5D.html

But I would like to know if there is an existing solution to the rmbp that allow to play on the inboard screen.

I would like to know if the thunderbot 2 is ( or will be ) used , and if it will really increase performance.

Thank you.

PS : I m sorry for my english, it s not my mother tongue.

Recommend the 2013 rMBP over the 2013 MBA for eGPU purposes. 2013 rMBP has a Thunderbolt 2 (20Gbps) controller whereas the MBA has a Thunderbolt 1 (10Gbps) controller. While Thunderbolt 2 TB-to-pcie adapters/enclosures are thin on the ground at the moment having the faster controller means a better future upgrade path.

So, I'm wondering how everyone is able to tell whether they are running at x1.2opt... I have a Lenovo x230 running Win 8.1, [email protected], 8Gb memory, Intel HD4000 integrated graphics, and an EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked. Now, everything is running great (plugged it in, installed drivers, and it works!) however I'm a little disappointed by the performance considering a lot of weaker setups have posted better scores... I am suspecting it has something to do with the Optimus compression but I'm not sure how I can verify that it's working correctly.

You have a x1 2.0 link. To confirm the pci-e compression is working, run 3dmark06. If the score is > 12k then it's engaging. If it's < 10k then you are running x1 2.0 without pci-e compression. pci-e compression requires the Intel HD iGPU to be present and the primary video device. Usual culprit for disabling pci-e compression is the system bios - upon detecting an eGPU, some system's bios will disable the iGPU and use the eGPU for primary graphics. The solution is usual to hotplug after boot by halting Win7/8 loading with F8/F12 so the bios doesn't get a sniff at the eGPU, or use the PCI Reset Delay switch SW1=3 and cold boot the system when using the eGPU.

You have a x1 2.0 link. To confirm the pci-e compression is working, run 3dmark06. If the score is > 12k then it's engaging. If it's < 10k then you are running x1 2.0 without pci-e compression. pci-e compression requires the Intel HD iGPU to be present and the primary video device. Usual culprit for disabling pci-e compression is the system bios - upon detecting an eGPU, some system's bios will disable the iGPU and use the eGPU for primary graphics. The solution is usual to hotplug after boot by halting Win7/8 loading with F8/F12 so the bios doesn't get a sniff at the eGPU, or use the PCI Reset Delay switch SW1=3 and cold boot the system when using the eGPU.

Thanks for taking the time to respond with an in-depth explanation. I ran 3dmark06 and got 22947... results are here: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3520M,LENOVO 2306CTO I think this would suggest some compression is happening.

Here is an issue that I just ran across that might be telling. When I first plugged in the expresscard I got the GTX770 in device manager with a yellow marker, installed the nVidia drivers, reboot (with the laptop lid closed, expresscard plugged in, and laptop powering external monitor directly)... the laptop reboots fine with the expresscard pushed in, and once in windows the GTX770 had no yellow marker so I swapped the monitor cable to the 770 and it came up just fine (I have been running benchmarks this way since then).

However, just now I had to restart and the system hung at the Lenovo boot screen. I had to remove the expresscard and hard cycle it to get it to boot. Now I am getting error 12 on the GTX770, but when I close the lid, reinstall the drivers via external monitor and reboot, it works like it did the first time again (no yellow marker) and I am able to switch the monitor back to the GTX770.

Put more simply... after a fresh driver install+restart w/ laptop closed and directly attached ext. monitor it will boot with the expresscard plugged in and allows me to switch the monitor to the 770 once I'm in Windows with no issues. If I reboot while already on the 770, the system hangs at boot screen, and if I hotplug it in Windows I get error 12. Any idea what this implies? Thanks again for the help...

Edit:Sent you a payment for Setup 1.x, but I'm running a dual-boot Win8.1/Ubuntu 13.10 and I'm wondering how that'll effect the installation. Any thoughts?

Put more simply... after a fresh driver install+restart w/ laptop closed and directly attached ext. monitor it will boot with the expresscard plugged in and allows me to switch the monitor to the 770 once I'm in Windows with no issues. If I reboot while already on the 770, the system hangs at boot screen, and if I hotplug it in Windows I get error 12. Any idea what this implies? Thanks again for the help...

Edit: I'd like to get Setup 1.x, but I'm running a dual-boot Win8.1/Ubuntu 13.10 and I'm wondering how that'll effect the installation.

Did you try cold starting the machine instead? My understanding is that the Lenovo X230 should have the eGPU powered on while booting. If still error 12 then can try removing the "PCI Expess Root Port" that your eGPU is attached to (or all if not sure) as well as the eGPU itself. Then restart Windows and let it pnp the devices again. If still get an error 12 then consider using Setup 1.x. Setup 1.x can be installed as either a grub2 (Linux bootloader) or bootmgr bootitem. Linux is in fact easier as it avoid the bootmgr->Setup1.x->bootmgr loop to boot Win7/8 instead having the grub2->Setup1.x->bootmgr path.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did you try cold starting the machine instead? My understanding is that the Lenovo X230 should have the eGPU powered on while booting. If still error 12 then can try removing the "PCI Expess Root Port" that your eGPU is attached to (or all if not sure) as well as the eGPU itself. Then restart Windows and let it pnp the devices again. If still get an error 12 then consider using Setup 1.x. Setup 1.x can be installed as either a grub2 (Linux bootloader) or bootmgr bootitem. Linux is in fact easier as it avoid the bootmgr->Setup1.x->bootmgr loop to boot Win7/8 instead having the grub2->Setup1.x->bootmgr path.

Cool, I will just cut to the chase and use setup 1.x (sent you a payment).

Hi JayZu and welcome to the community!

First of all to exclude the possibility of you missing the optimus link state 'variation', meaning you link speed 1.1 (idle) should jump to 1.3 (performance) in GPUz when rendering 3D, you should check this:

1. In NCP -> make sure you prefer your high Performance GPU, in your case GTX650Ti.

2. Add your game in the manual list of programs and let it prefer High performance GPU

3. Start the game.

4. ALT+TAB out to GPUz and check the link-speed again.

Please post your results and let us know what happens.

You were right, the link-speed jumps to 1.3 when 3DMark is running.

I finally plugged the eGPU to the VGA port of my screen and switch video source when I want to play, but I'm still curious, is it possible to use eGPU power through intel HD4600 ?

Thanks for your help, your community has been a huge source of inspirations.

You were right, the link-speed jumps to 1.3 when 3DMark is running.

I finally plugged the eGPU to the VGA port of my screen and switch video source when I want to play, but I'm still curious, is it possible to use eGPU power through intel HD4600 ?

Thanks for your help, your community has been a huge source of inspirations.

This is new territory. I believe it should be possible as a HD4600 is a recent Intel iGPU. It's up to the NVidia driver to allow that functionality. NOTE: we have had some reports of a GTX650Ti not enabling Optimus unless the INF files were hacked. Perhaps something you want to try? The other way of getting iGPU LCD mode to work is to use LucidLogix Virtu software.

Still, keep in mind that you'll see better performance attaching your LCD to the eGPU external port (VGA port as you have) as there is no iGPU display traffic being piped down the link. There are LCDs that accept multiple HDMI inputs switched via buttons on the front panel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.