eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

750W is recommended for an entire system. You should be fine with a well built 450W, possibly even less.

Okay thanks! I was wondering because i've read the commenters on youtube said you need enough Watt as stated in the specs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Hey,

i'm using a sonnet echo to connect my diy egpu. but how about this

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4570-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-rmbp-gtx660-sonnet-echo-express-se-%40-10gbps.html#post67412 ??

The sonnet express se can handle 60Watt but is this mod changing it to 75W by the PSU? i will buy one of the new sonnet adapters with thunderbolt2 but don't like to pay 900$ for an adapter^^ only worst case.

How do you read that to find the TOLUD?

The following line:

[00000000BFA00000 - 00000000FEAFFFFF] PCI bus

0xBFA00000 = 2.994140625 GB, which I rounded to 3GB.

Convert the 0xBFA00000 to base 10, then divide by 2^30.

• Thumbs Up 1

To the above explanation, to see TOLUD you have to pick the first PCI Bus that has 8 digits when counting start memory boundaries.

Selected range, starting from E4000 for example is not ok because there are not 8 digits. So you have to look further down the tree.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 1

O i get it. I think i've highlighted the wrong range.

As advised by Arise, i should look further down the tree which i agreed.

And Kenglish based it on another range further down and that is [00000000BFA00000 - 00000000FEAFFFFF]

So i guess its correct then. Its plug and play.

Man you people are Amazing! I could never ever figure it out.

Thankyou very much for all your kind reply guys. Love ya all! :)

P.S. I'm fine if i gotta run Setup 1.x or a DSDT Overide but im clumsy, i tend to make stupid mistakes :P

Hi everyone!

Specifications laptop vpc-ec1m1r/wi:

Intel® Core™ i5-430M

4gb ram

ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 5470 512 МБ

Express Card 34mm

Graphics card to connect to the adapter - PE4L or PE4H:

Sapphire PCI-E ATI Radeon hd 7750 2gb 128b DDR3 800/3200 DVI/HDMI/CRT

Power supply unit 350w ATX PSU

Hi everyone,

I posted a thread about some issues (which weren't) I had while recording and that I had some lags. Apparently those lags are due to the Gen2 enable port. When I use the Setup 1.x to enable the Gen2 port, then take a look in Gpu-Z, it says V2.0 (Gen2) then 2-3 seconds after switches to v1.1. There's something going wrong that i didn't notice until my brother played some BF3. I only can say that I didn't have this problem before and that Gen2 was enabled. What is it about? hardware or software? Thanks for your help

Hi everyone,

I posted a thread about some issues (which weren't) I had while recording and that I had some lags. Apparently those lags are due to the Gen2 enable port. When I use the Setup 1.x to enable the Gen2 port, then take a look in Gpu-Z, it says V2.0 (Gen2) then 2-3 seconds after switches to v1.1. There's something going wrong that i didn't notice until my brother played some BF3. I only can say that I didn't have this problem before and that Gen2 was enabled. What is it about? hardware or software? Thanks for your help

Have you tried to monitor the PCIE speed with GPU-Z while benchmarking with Heaven, or any other windowed benchmark? It could be a energy saver functionality that engage a lower PCIE speed in idle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone,

I've just recieved my PE4H 2.4 and my GTX 660.

I've installed them on my Dell Precision M4500 :

Core i5 540M (serie 5 chipset, QM57),

8GB RAM

Quadro FX 1800M (dGPU)

Win8/x64.

The i5 540M should also have on in its package a iGPU GMA HD, but I can't see any setting in the BIOS in order to switch between iGPU/dGPU or just activate iGPU.

Basically I was wondering if it was possible to activate it (even if its not connected to the laptop display), in order to get 1x compression with Optimus?

Right now I have some poor Dx9 benchmark performance (3dmark 06 : 4000...) and 'not that good' in Heaven (about 750 in 1280*800 DX11,Ultra,Tesselation Extreme,AA8x).

EDIT: I got P4364 (5633 GPU, 2601 Phys, 2612 Comb) on 3DMark 11.

Thank you!

Have you tried to monitor the PCIE speed with GPU-Z while benchmarking with Heaven, or any other windowed benchmark? It could be a energy saver functionality that engage a lower PCIE speed in idle.

Thanks for your answer. Indeed when i run the integrated test of Gpu-Z (Render Test) the value goes back to 2.0, so everything is fine. The lags I had while playing BF3 were in multiplayer, so maybe due to internet connection. Anyways thanks.

PS: Unigine score gave me 925 so not that bad.

I'm so happy. I finally got Win8 working on my machine. Using the infos here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-6.html#post31421

After getting familiar with the DSDT stuff with Win7 this went rather smoothly. Haven't tried getting my dGPU working in conjunction as well. That is for a later time..

---

With some help with Tech Inferno Fan, got the dGPU working as well. just gotta test some things with it.

Hello, DIY community. I was recently received my PE4L-EC060A V2.1b Adapter and I was sure its plug&play. But, something goes wrong.

Here my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit\

BIOS: Phoenix BIOS SC-T v2.2

Processor: Intel® Core i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

OCZ ZS550W Power supply

Gtx 760 Gainward Phantom 2gb

+

an external display TV through hdmi

First time when I powered on egpu setup and plugged and expresscard to my laptop launch screen (bios startup in my Lenovo) just freezes.Nothing happens.To plug egpu in laptop when my system started just helpless.Nothing happens.Sometimes, its sounds just like when u plugged something in youre laptop and still no notices, windows, etc.

When, I was looking for info on nandos experiences ver 2 and I was sure in this X230, X230i & X230T expresscard adressing (eGPU) - Lenovo Community solution to flash my bios on newer version. After was: nothing. My system launchs with plugged expresscard egpu normally, but its started to freeze on 4 seconds every 5 seconds when it launch with plugged egpu and its green and orange fires on adapter (Without it takes things normally)

Next step is downloading NVidia drivers and installing it.Its still doesn't see my adapter in device manager.

Maybe im too lazy, so my problems is huge and im need to: setup 1x software, fresh install my windows 7 and retry manipulations or check my TOLUD.Any advices?

HI,

I want to setup eGPU ( GTX 660, 668 or 760)

I have iMac 21.5 late 2012

Only dGPU GT 650m no intel iGPU

What I need to buy? I would love to use my internal screen but I think its not possible as I don't have intel iGPU.

Yesterday I placed an order for ViDock 4+ but power supply was out of stock so I canceled the order. Now i don't want to setup Vidock I'm very interested ... for now i want to setup DIY eGPU.

Hey Matrix I have the same Asus laptop

If im correct laptop model is X53c and motherboard model K53sv?

If yes then we have the same

I have 8gb of ram in it, originally o ly 4.

Didnt have any problem and eGPU is working on internal display without installing optimus drivers, it worked after installing the software from Nando.

Hey Matrix I have the same Asus laptop

If im correct laptop model is X53c and motherboard model K53sv?

If yes then we have the same

I have 8gb of ram in it, originally o ly 4.

Didnt have any problem and eGPU is working on internal display without installing optimus drivers, it worked after installing the software from Nando.

Yes! Finally someone with the same laptop as mine.

And yes mine is indeed model K53SV. But it didnt show any X53c,

I'm still waiting for my PE4L adaptor. It should be here somewhere around next week. I cant wait!

Had my Gtx560 ti and 500w Power Supply from my old dual core desktop ready.

You could run it on Internal Display without Optimus Drivers?

Would it be better with Optimus compression? Just wondering.

And Kenglish checked my TOLUD and it show that i dont have to run the software.

Does yours work without the software?

I managed to get my eGPU working both in Windows 8 Enterprise x64 and Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64. Both required the DSDT override.

post-6146-14494996339967_thumb.png

Running 3DMark06 after I submit this post, will follow up momentarily.

---

Or not. I cannot get 3DMark06 to run at all, I get a 'System Info Error:' I reinstalled it. Nothing. Maybe has no idea what 8.1 is and freaks out? From a quick search, seems like I'm not the only one.

Hi,everybody!i have a simple question if someone could help me.it is posible a x3 link if i have port 1,2 and 3 available (express card,mpcie+mpcie)on my motherboard?More details:PE4H V2.4 ADAPTER,FUJITSU AMILO PI 3450 LAPTOp and 82801im-ich9m chipset.Thanks to nando and kizwan i make an dsdt override since i have 4gb of ram and with the x1 setup i understand that a x2 link it is posible within it,but since remain a thrd.port free think it could be useful for a x3 link?THANKS! By the way this Project of eGPUs it is a wonderfull idea for those who like the challenges and not comforming with the market products and their limited possibilities of expanding.Lately i can stop thinking why Nvidia créate an Optimus technology only that it Works with Intel iGpus?maybe marketing,maybe collaterall benefits,i really don´t khnow?i hope somebody find a way to engage optimus on other iintegrated or dedicated gpus.For the best of all the future egpus users.thanks again.

No it's not posible to setup a x3 link, there only x1, x2, x4, x8 and x16 Link's. And why Nvidia technology the Optimus work only with Intel iGPU and a x1 link, is a good question what interests me, too.

[Edit]

I have bought a KZ-B26, and this will test when I get my larger mSata-SSD. If it should interest someone. ;)

Ok finally got an external screen to post results, here are:

3Dmark 06: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3-3120M,FUJITSU FJNBB2A

3DMark 11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3-3120M,FUJITSU FJNBB2A

Laptop: Fujitsu AH532

CPU:i3-3120m

GPU:Gtx 660 MSI Frozn III

RAM: 4 Gb

PE4L-EC100A, Gen2 via Setup 1.X

EDIT: Ooops sorry for that Tech Inferno Fan. Thanks for correcting.

EDIT2: Changed the CPU that wasn't the good sorry again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can anyone help me with a few questions about a Sonnet Echo Express SE setup I'm contemplating...

With the PCI riser delay mod (a la MystPhysX), do you have to start the computer and wait 3 seconds before switching on the eGPU every time, or is that just during the initial setup?

Does your computer always ask if it should boot into windows or DIY eGPU every time it starts, or only with the initial setup?

How much of the DIY eGPU initial setup is reversible if there are problems?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Anyone tried bf3 or bf4 on a egpu setup with core i5 CPUs ? I have a 3360m and I am worried about this CPU not able to cope with such CPU demanding games.

Thanks.

Phil

I have a i33210m and can play BF3 on ultra in 64 servers along a gtx 660. So I'm not worried for your i5 but for BF4 I'm having lot of lags so I don't know if it's not a game issue...can't tell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.