eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I'm using HP ProBook 4730s

CPU is i7 2670 qm with 8 gb ram

Using windows 7 home premium 64 bits

eGPU is sapphire hd 7850

Im using setup 1.30 to try to overcome error 12

I ignore the dgpu and do the compaction, PCIw and all_alloc are Yes, all_alloc only hv a 128MB.

Yet it gives me another error 12 on the PCI port itself

post-18417-14494996278751_thumb.png

What should I do?

I can only speculate about the dGPU+eGPU situation with your E6420 since I've not tested that. What I expect will happen is the eGPU will become the primary video card, dGPU will be secondary and iGPU will be disabled. The latest NVidia drivers working for both as shown by angerthosenear's nVS4200+GTX660Ti example at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.htmlYes, if you do a disk image Setup 1.x install then you'd see a change in the Win7/8 bootmanager. Where previously it may have booted straight to Win7/8, ow you'd see a menu where you select whether to boot Win7/8 or Setup 1.x. You can see how this works by the video at YouTube .

Hi Nando,got my things together and testet today. What i did was disabling dgpu in windows 8, deinstalled all drivers and rebootet.

Than i rebootet with egpu on and a new gpu was listed "windos standard grafik card" or so.Than i installed latest nvidia drivers and all worked fine.I had to reboot once and than after this all drivers where installed.

Directly after installation i started playing BF3 and perfect. Everything worked.Now if i reboot again i get bluse screen on windows 8 boot. If i put out egpu i can boot to windows 8 again. Hotplugging also not working. Stange sounds and again blue screen. Also standby/ hibernate trick not working.Am i right using software 1.x could solve this?

Thanks for your help.SO to your reply above: It seems my internal gpu is still primary.

On boot i only see boot stuff on my notebook lcd, nothing on my external monitor.

Adriano

Hi guys , i am a bit of a newbie on this egpu and i do not want to go and buy the wrong parts lol , so i was just wondering if someone can help me for choosing the parts available for my laptop this is the spec:

Lenovo g580 i5 , 6gb ram , mpcie i think but i do not know what speed it runs at so thats why i am lost :(

so i do not know what parts to get.. which gfx is best ? how many wats power supply ? also what PE4L or PE4H is best to buy?

any help would be appreciated

@Adriano: if you disable dGPU and install drivers, it will re-enable your dGPU. Also, right after, you said you played, but I think you also played on dGPU not eGPU.

Try to disable dGPU, reboot, back to Windows, check if dGPU is still off, reboot and try again your eGPU.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

@Adriano: if you disable dGPU and install drivers, it will re-enable your dGPU. Also, right after, you said you played, but I think you also played on dGPU not eGPU.

Try to disable dGPU, reboot, back to Windows, check if dGPU is still off, reboot and try again your eGPU.

newest nvidia drivers causing bluescreen. so false alert. old drivers work without ptoblems ...

Hello everyone,

Thanks for posting so much information on this forum.

I have been following this forum for a while because I always wanted to connect an external gpu on my Laptop I think its awesome.

So now I want to do it but Im not a very technical person, I know how to fix pcs/laptops and opening them, installing hardware etc. but I think its still basic.

Anyway here we go:

These are the specs of my laptop:

Laptop Model: X53s

Intel Core i5 2410M @ 2.30GHz

Chipset: Sandy bridge

Southbridge: HM 65 (intel)

4GB of RAM DDR3

Motherboard model/type: K53sv

Bios updated to latest version

iGPU: Nvidia GT520MX 1 GB

Also I have an: Intel® HD graphics Family, I guess this is my onboard graphics card?

I dont have an Expresscard slot.

But when I looking inside my laptop I found a wireless adaptor (intel centrino wireless-N 100)

So, can someone tell me if this wireless adapter is using a PCIe slot or just normal PCI slot or something totally different? I tried to look on the internet what kind of port it is using for hours.. but I am still not 100% sure if its a mPCIe or not.. very confusing.

Since I have an onboard Intel® HD Graphics Family card, does it mean I can use Optimus driver to use my Internal display?

I couldnt find my laptop in the list, thats why I asking questions here and I really hope someone can help me out :)

Also TechPowerUp says: Bus Interface PCI-E 1.1 x 16 @ x 16 1.1

I guess this means my current gpu is running on PCI-e?

But it has nothing to do with mPCI-e right?

Can someone give me any information or confirmation about my questions?

1.) If my WLAN adaptor is indeed using my mPCIe slot (which I dont mind removing)

2.) Optimus driver can be used if I have an Intel HD Graphics Family card onboard.

Those are the most critical things I need to know before I can proceed with the installation.

Thank you very much!!

Laptop Model: X53s

Intel Core i5 2410M @ 2.30GHz

Chipset: Sandy bridge

Southbridge: HM 65 (intel)

4GB of RAM DDR3

Motherboard model/type: K53sv

Bios updated to latest version

iGPU: Nvidia GT520MX 1 GB

Also I have an: Intel® HD graphics Family, I guess this is my onboard graphics card?

iGPU: Intel® HD graphics family

dGPU: NVidia GT520MX 1GB

I dont have an Expresscard slot.

But when I looking inside my laptop I found a wireless adaptor (intel centrino wireless-N 100)

So, can someone tell me if this wireless adapter is using a PCIe slot or just normal PCI slot or something totally different? I tried to look on the internet what kind of port it is using for hours.. but I am still not 100% sure if its a mPCIe or not.. very confusing.

That would make it a mPCIe port. Assuming you have no hardware whitelist (you would have to ask the manufacturer directly to find out), you can connect your eGPU through this port.

Since I have an onboard Intel® HD Graphics Family card, does it mean I can use Optimus driver to use my Internal display?

Yes.

I couldnt find my laptop in the list, thats why I asking questions here and I really hope someone can help me out :)

Mine isn't in the list either last I checked, no worries about asking questions!

Also TechPowerUp says: Bus Interface PCI-E 1.1 x 16 @ x 16 1.1

I guess this means my current gpu is running on PCI-e?

But it has nothing to do with mPCI-e right?

Correct, this just tells you the link between your dGPU and the Southbridge (iirc). This is not mPCIe.

Can someone give me any information or confirmation about my questions?

1.) If my WLAN adaptor is indeed using my mPCIe slot (which I dont mind removing)

2.) Optimus driver can be used if I have an Intel HD Graphics Family card onboard.

1. Yes it is. You will have to remove this to use an eGPU. (Unless you so happen to have a thunderbolt port (I didn't look up your specific laptop).

2. Yes.

Those are the most critical things I need to know before I can proceed with the installation.

Thank you very much!!

\

Feel free to ask more questions if ya need to!

-atn

angerthosenear

Thank you so much for answering my questions and for your help.

It really helps me a lot, and you were fast too!

What do you mean by hardware whitelist?

On youtube I heard youtube username "drydreamer" say that if your laptop has bluetooth or your laptop model has an option for bluetooth than it should have mPCIe.

But anyway I can be sure my WLAN adapter is using mPCIe.

I will start installations this week and post my findings/results here.

I havent decided yet which card I should buy I am thinking of GTX 5xx or 6xx ones

I still dont get the opt stuff and speeds and I have no idea what hardware I should get for my laptop to use optimal speed.

But I will read the information again and hopefully I will find out!

Again thank you very much!

angerthosenear

Thank you so much for answering my questions and for your help.

It really helps me a lot, and you were fast too!

What do you mean by hardware whitelist?

On youtube I heard youtube username "drydreamer" say that if your laptop has bluetooth or your laptop model has an option for bluetooth than it should have mPCIe.

But anyway I can be sure my WLAN adapter is using mPCIe.

I will start installations this week and post my findings/results here.

I havent decided yet which card I should buy I am thinking of GTX 5xx or 6xx ones

I still dont get the opt stuff and speeds and I have no idea what hardware I should get for my laptop to use optimal speed.

But I will read the information again and hopefully I will find out!

Again thank you very much!

A hardware whitelist means that a predetermined set of hardware (connected via mPCIe or other internal connection) will work with the system. Things not in that list will either give you an error saying unsupported hardware, or just plain not show up. If you happen to have some spare laptop WiFi cards you can swap them out to test, see if they work - that'll give you a rough idea if you have a hardware whitelist or not.

As for the connection, maybe something like what MikjoA has done here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2158-diy-egpu-guide-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13.html

for ease of connecting your eGPU.

He uses the PE4L-PM060A. We have determined that the length of the cable doesn't adversely affect the performance (at least the 100cm cable doesn't).\

PE4L V2.1 (PCIe Adapter )

I use a GTX 660Ti. MikjoA uses a Titan.

I'm not sure if you will have any particular issues with your laptop. I know some don't like certain cards or whatnot. I don't have enough knowledge in the matter to clarify this.

@Tech Inferno Fan , input on if a 660+ series card will work with his laptop?

---

That adapter I linked will allow you to get the x1.2 opt link. Which gives you pretty good performance (as is the best you can get over a single mPCIe / EC connection atm). You will want to contact Tech Inferno Fan to get the Setup 1.x from him (I believe it is 25$) so you can perform compaction to get your x1.2 opt link if necessary. I guess some computers can run without doing this. But be prepared to get it (seems necessary with current gen cards).

--

Ask if you need anything more,

atn

Hi all. Reading through this thread, and the DIY eGPU thread, has convinced me to make the 2570p my next laptop purchase (i5-3360M model). The wealth of information has been extremely helpful, and I hopefully will be getting one around the holiday season. In terms of the eGPU portion, I have a few questions to make sure I'm doing things right.

I believe that the correct eGPU adapter is the PE4L V2.1. Is it worth getting the one with an enclosure? I plan on getting either a gtx 660 or 670. Will either of those be bottlenecked by the i5-3360M, or should I be getting a different GPU or a 2570p with a different processor model? I understand I will need a PSU, but am having trouble finding which one would be sufficient. I know that a conversion of an Xbox PSU is recommended, but having looked over the wiring diagrams and guides I am at loss because I don't have much experience with that. Which route should I take? Once I have everything, it should just be plug and play with an external monitor, correct?

Thanks in advance for all the help,

AT

Hi all. Reading through this thread, and the DIY eGPU thread, has convinced me to make the 2570p my next laptop purchase (i5-3360M model). The wealth of information has been extremely helpful, and I hopefully will be getting one around the holiday season. In terms of the eGPU portion, I have a few questions to make sure I'm doing things right.

I believe that the correct eGPU adapter is the PE4L V2.1. Is it worth getting the one with an enclosure? I plan on getting either a gtx 660 or 670. Will either of those be bottlenecked by the i5-3360M, or should I be getting a different GPU or a 2570p with a different processor model? I understand I will need a PSU, but am having trouble finding which one would be sufficient. I know that a conversion of an Xbox PSU is recommended, but having looked over the wiring diagrams and guides I am at loss because I don't have much experience with that. Which route should I take? Once I have everything, it should just be plug and play with an external monitor, correct?

Thanks in advance for all the help,

AT

Good choice with the 2570P. It's the maximum back-per-buck ultraportable for eGPU purposes with huge performance potential.

Yes, you'll require a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b or PE4H-EC060A 3.2. Older versions of either PE4L/PE4H product do not support Gen2 5Gbps expresscard so should be avoided for your application.

GTX660, GTX660Ti or GTX670 are all plug-and-play eGPU implementations on a 2570P. GTX670 requires the most power from those rated at 170W. If getting a overclock card then suggest check techpowerup for it's peak load power requirements. 170W means you need a PSU with a 12V/15A rail which a basic PSU you could find by dumpster diving in a business district can provide. Though I'd suggest aiming for 12V/18A for some safety margin. That protects you against over-specced PSUs that would result in power starvation.

There's a good deal on a 12V/32A (384W) Corsair CX430M at newegg atm: CORSAIR CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Hey Nando,

I am implementing the eGPU with gtx 680 (AMP edition) on my Macbook Air. The only thing left to purchase now is the PSU.

Its max power requirement is 195W. Now I am confused as to how the PSUs work? Is the single cable from the PSU have a specific current output OR it can have the max possible output from the PSU unit if no other wires are used/connected?

Also the V/A also is not specified anywhere for this.

Also, kindly suggest the best possible PSU

========================

PS. Waiting for new eGPU setups on the new MBP with thunderbolt 2 :congratulatory:

Hey Nando,

I am implementing the eGPU with gtx 680 (AMP edition) on my Macbook Air. The only thing left to purchase now is the PSU.

Its max power requirement is 195W. Now I am confused as to how the PSUs work? Is the single cable from the PSU have a specific current output OR it can have the max possible output from the PSU unit if no other wires are used/connected?

Also the V/A also is not specified anywhere for this.

Also, kindly suggest the best possible PSU

========================

PS. Waiting for new eGPU setups on the new MBP with thunderbolt 2 :congratulatory:

The PSU Tech Inferno Fan linked in his previous post would be suitable for your power needs:

CORSAIR CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

If you go down to the spec sheet to the 12V rail, you see there is 12V at 32A which is 384W. So, your 195W power requirement is met.

Hopefully that math is close to reality. But regardless, that PSU would be suitable.

-atn

Hey Nando,

Its max power requirement is 195W.

Power draw from my eGPU MSI Lightning GTX 680 in furmark.

6ibh.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

You have a link/URL for that ??

For the image he linked?

http://imageshack.us/a/img42/4893/6ibh.jpg

In case you can't see it, it is saying he is pulling 285W. I'm not sure if he has it setup so that is his eGPU only, or his laptop + eGPU on the same plug. Overclocked or otherwise. I know there will be some power lost to heat, but the extra 90W discrepancy seems a bit large.

For the image he linked?

http://imageshack.us/a/img42/4893/6ibh.jpg

In case you can't see it, it is saying he is pulling 285W. I'm not sure if he has it setup so that is his eGPU only, or his laptop + eGPU on the same plug. Overclocked or otherwise. I know there will be some power lost to heat, but the extra 90W discrepancy seems a bit large.

That's power from the wall, and it's furmark. I'm surprised it's only 285W. I could trip a 550W PSU in furmark with a very overclocked 580.

very overclocked 580.

Knowing you, that 580 probably developed tear ducts and started crying...

--

semi off-topic:

If a stock card is rated for 195W, why would it pull more than that when under load? aka why dos it pull more than rated? (even though it is stressed). Is there a % of over-pull to estimated like for computer builds (looking to build a desktop with two GPUs).

The rating is from reference cards most of the time. Most cards that gets on the market are factory overclocked and could also get some extra little voltage for stability.

Also, dont think they (nvidia) test the cards in furmark when providing the ratings.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.