eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

what is different between PE4L-PM060A, PE4L-PM100A, PE4L-PM200A? and is im need egpu setup to?

PE4L-PM060A : 60cm mHDMI cable

PE4L-PM100A : 100cm mHDMI cable

PE4L-PM200A : 200cm mHDMI cable

If there is no bios option to disable your GT540M, then yes, you will need DIY eGPU Setup 1.1x to disable the GT540M. Only then will the NVidia driver engage pci-e compression netting you x1.2Opt performance.

• Thumbs Up 1

PE4L-PM060A : 60cm mHDMI cable

PE4L-PM100A : 100cm mHDMI cable

PE4L-PM200A : 200cm mHDMI cable

If there is no bios option to disable your GT540M, then yes, you will need DIY eGPU Setup 1.1x to disable the GT540M. Only then will the NVidia driver engage pci-e compression netting you x1.2Opt performance.

i don't see any option to disable my gt540m so i need it, can u give me a latest link to buy it? btw can u teach me step by step how to disable my dgpu begin with install egpu setup?

Hey,

I have problem with error 12.

System im using: HP 8560p upgraded to 12GB of mem. Chipset is Q68 (gen 2).

GFX: Gigabyte HD 6870 1GB GDDR5

iGPU: Intel HD 3000

The adapter is PE4H 2.4 + expresscard.

The only way it compacts is if i ignore primary GPU (iGPU), then all these methods 32bit, 32bitA and 36bit will compact with eGPU.

PE4H is set delay jumper to 6.9 sec (otherwise it wouldnt boot if eGPU is on).

After Compaction i cannot boot to mbr or win7... it will never finish the loading screen, but it isnt freezed.

reboot seems to be normal.

Im using DIY eGPU Setup 1.10b5

Any ideas what is going wrong?

devcon.txt

pci.txt

SCN000.BMP

startup.txt

If your X220 is a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge version, which means it support PCI 2.0, go for the PE4L version !

With the PE4L a X1.2 opt setup is just as powerful as the PE4H X4 setup.

Hi guys !

I'm so excited my new eGPU setup is now finally working !

You may have read my message before and I was wrong none of my GPU was dead, but the PE4L was no longer working. I still don't know why it didn't work, I notice a wire, on the PE4L had been torn out but I've re soldered it and it didn't make any change. I've investigated the PM3N of the PE4L and when I've removed the sleeve it torn at least 3 wires and I could resolder one of them. So I've order a new PE4L which was a bit reworked compared to my first PE4L 2.1b. There is a new jump somewhere on the PM3N and it is no longer necessary to make the jump ourself.

So here is my setup :D

- Sony SV-Z1311C5E 8Gb i7 3612QM @ always running at 2.8 Ghz.

- PE4L-PM060A 2.1b

- XBOX 360 PSU mod

- ZOTAC GTX 660 Ti AMP! 2Gb

And Windows 8 64 bit !

I'd be glad to do some benchmarks but 3DMark 06 keep make the computer freezing.... I've googled it and it seems to be related to futuremark system analyser... So other 3DMark might be affected too.

I couldn't try it much, I've made it working few minutes ago and could just try borderlands 2 on internal LCD. Which work just as expected :).

I'll keep you updated with pictures and benchmarks !

Firt of all, nice job!

I really hope to see some benchmarks later on if you figure out the problem with 3dMark =)

My future setup will look similar to yours, I also have the 3612qm.

Do you obtain any performance gain when locking the cpu at 2.8GHz or is it due to some lag issues when throttling?

Hey,

I have problem with error 12.

System im using: HP 8560p upgraded to 12GB of mem. Chipset is Q68 (gen 2).

GFX: Gigabyte HD 6870 1GB GDDR5

iGPU: Intel HD 3000

The adapter is PE4H 2.4 + expresscard.

The only way it compacts is if i ignore primary GPU (iGPU), then all these methods 32bit, 32bitA and 36bit will compact with eGPU.

PE4H is set delay jumper to 6.9 sec (otherwise it wouldnt boot if eGPU is on).

After Compaction i cannot boot to mbr or win7... it will never finish the loading screen, but it isnt freezed.

reboot seems to be normal.

Im using DIY eGPU Setup 1.10b5

Any ideas what is going wrong?

If all methods fail then it indicates there is insufficient 32-bit PCI space to accomodate your HD6870, which requires a contiguous 256MB block to allocate to. The solution is either:

1. Get a NVidia Fermi or Keplar (GTX460+) card which requires a 128MB+64MB+16MB PCI space, so is less problematic for allocation. It will also net you faster x1.2Opt performance.

2. If you did want to get your HD6870 to work then you'd need to use a DSDT override to extend the PCI allocation out into 36-bit PCI space.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys,

Please help to take alook at my TOLUD :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5179[/ATTACH]

Can I use more than 4G RAM?

And if i want to use my ATI 6770 with eGPU, should I buy PE4L or PE4H?

Thanks and sorry for my bad English :D

TOLUD=0xDFA00000 = 0xE000000 (rounded up) = 3.5GB. Means can't accomodate a eGPU in 32-bit PCI space. Then either need (1) a dynamic TOLUD. Systems like a Lenovo X220 will change TOLUD to be al lower value on bootup upon detecting a eGPU or (2) use a DSDT override to extend the root ACPI bridge out into 36-bit PCI space so a 36-bit PCI allocation of the eGPU is accepted by Win7.

If it's a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge system then you want a PE4L-EC060a (expresscard slot) or PE4L-PM060A (mPCIe slot). Either of those will get you pci-e 2.0 performance. Older PE4L 1.5 or PE4H 2.4 are only capable of delivering pci-e 1.x performance levels, or half the bandwidth.

Recommend a NVidia Fermi or Keplar class eGPU for better x1.2Opt performance than an AMD one plus a transparent internal LCD mode courtesy of Optimus. Both those features dependent on an Intel HD iGPU being the primary bootup graphics device.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks so much Tech Inferno Fan. My laptop is a x220 with i5-2410M so I think it's a Sandy Bridge system. I can understand the PE4L part but I don't really understand the TOLUD part. What should I do with my x220 when install a eGPU? Just let it changes TOLUD by itself or do I need to install/edit something? Can I use 8G RAM?

Thank you!

Thanks so much Tech Inferno Fan. My laptop is a x220 with i5-2410M so I think it's a Sandy Bridge system. I can understand the PE4L part but I don't really understand the TOLUD part. What should I do with my x220 when install a eGPU? Just let it changes TOLUD by itself or do I need to install/edit something? Can I use 8G RAM?

Thank you!

Lenovo X220 and X230 with latest bios will adjust TOLUD automatically for you. That makes them plug-n-play DIY eGPU systems, ie: don't need to install Setup 1.1x or do any DSDT overrides.

• Thumbs Up 2

Im tring to make the DSDT Override. I still have problems with compiling the dsl file. I already fixed over 100 errors in the code, but cant see the next syntax error.

custom.dsl 902: Name (TRPC, Package (0x05))
Error 4124 - ^ syntax error, unexpected '
)', expecting '{'

The error pointer is in completly wrong place.

EDIT: I think it should be 2 missing ')' brackets somewhere...

EDIT2: Test Failed, windows 7 died.

The HP 8560p seems not to be good platform for this kind of modding.

dsl.txt

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I just want to ask a quick question:

I have an old Dell Latitude E6400, and have just received the PE4L 1.5 + PM3N 1.2 yesterday. I don't have a GPU yet to try it with (in a couple of days I will), but I replaced the Bluetooth module with the PM3N anyway, and plugged in the PE4L. One of the LEDs lit up, and I could plug a pendrive in to the USB port on the PE4L and mount it. What I didn't like is that I really had to bend the cable on the end of the PM3N just so I could plug it in, but even after that, it was putting tension on the PM3N (for some reason, this laptop only uses 1 screw to secure an mPCIe module). That was yesterday.

Today, I tried to check it again, since I bought a longer HDMI cable with a less bulky connector that fits more easily. But no LEDs light up at all, pendrive doesn't work. Then I thought the new cable wasn't good, so I tried with the one provided. Still nothing.

Are there supposed to be LEDs lit up on the PM3N as well (didn't check yesterday)? Cause now they don't. Is it possible that the PM3N is now dead?

Thanks in advance for your responses :)!

Ok, so I've hit a snag. I want to get the parts second hand but cannot find them cheaper than the suggested sites, Would anyone be willing to lend a hand locating 2 x mpcie adaptor, 1 x express card adaptor, 1 x 16x pcie adaptor, and 3 x mhdmi to mhdmi cables on the cheap. I would be willing to rent it for this experiment. I am currently near Portland, Oregon.

Has anyone tried a dual link setup with both pcie slots on the acer 6920g yet? I know it can be done, but I was wanting to know if someone had tried yet. Also, what card would you recommend for a 2x setup like that? I am thinking about trying with a NVIDIA 450 GTS.

pretty much answered at DIY eGPU experiences - Page 556 though not confirmed. If you can go a x2E configuration [port1+2] then would suggest getting an ATiAMD card. If can only do x2 using [port3+4] then consider if you prefer DX9 performance bias (ATiAMD) or DX10/DX11 (NVidia). NVidia a better choice if looking later to mate to an iGPU-equipped notebook (x1.Opt, x1.2Opt or Thunderbolt) such that can get Optimus internal LCD mode.

I use the original nvidia desktop one. I have no issues with it.

im using original nvidia desktop driver but some of my nvidia feature is not enable such as CUDA physX and DirectCompute as shown as below

post-6536-14494993782014_thumb.png

- - - Updated - - -

You use the modded driver only when you need to use the interal LCD.

You can take a look at this post: DIY eGPU experiences - Page 403

i still can use internal lcd by install original nvidia desktop driver but some of the feature is not enable such as CUDA physX and DirectCompute

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I just want to ask a quick question:

I have an old Dell Latitude E6400, and have just received the PE4L 1.5 + PM3N 1.2 yesterday. I don't have a GPU yet to try it with (in a couple of days I will), but I replaced the Bluetooth module with the PM3N anyway, and plugged in the PE4L. One of the LEDs lit up, and I could plug a pendrive in to the USB port on the PE4L and mount it. What I didn't like is that I really had to bend the cable on the end of the PM3N just so I could plug it in, but even after that, it was putting tension on the PM3N (for some reason, this laptop only uses 1 screw to secure an mPCIe module). That was yesterday.

Today, I tried to check it again, since I bought a longer HDMI cable with a less bulky connector that fits more easily. But no LEDs light up at all, pendrive doesn't work. Then I thought the new cable wasn't good, so I tried with the one provided. Still nothing.

Are there supposed to be LEDs lit up on the PM3N as well (didn't check yesterday)? Cause now they don't. Is it possible that the PM3N is now dead?

Thanks in advance for your responses :)!

Sorry for my useless first post, it turns out that I was worrying for no good reason. I tried it with an NVidia GTX460, and all is well, Optimus works perfectly on the built-in display :D.

In conclusion: one shouldn't 'test' the PE4L without all the components needed.

Thanks Nando for all the great advice in this and the previous thread.

My T420 and 560ti 448 via PE4L 2.1 is working perfectly (4300 on 3dmark11 using internal display).

I've got one tiny snag though. Having housed the GPU and PSU in a mini-itx case (cooler master elite 130 advanced), I find that the 60cm captive cable of the PE4L is just a little too short, so I'm looking for a way to improve that. 1m might just be OK. 2m is probably perfect. I know that it's supposedly available with a 2m cable, but not obviously to the UK.

Has anyone found a express card extender, or resoldered a different cable for their PE4L? I'd like to avoid the latter, but it might be the best/only option.

Hi all, does anyone know where i could sell my PE4H to Expresscard kit, its about 3 months old and in perfect condish and I m in the UK.

Regrettably, although i got my eGPU up and running no problem, it wasn't performing very well in games so i ended up buying a desktop and putting my graphics card in that. My laptop was just not suited well (2009 MBP) as it was restricted by the X1 link.

To get the eGPU to work well, i would have had to buy a Lenovo, or a thunderbolt Mac or something, so i just went for a cheap desktop instead :( because my Mac is fine for everything else i do.

I look forward to this developing in future, its already well on the way, due in no small part to Nando's efforts, thanks again for all your help, and sorry if this is not the right place to ask about where to sell components.

Karlos

PS I signed your email petition for NBR Nando, i hope it got sorted out in the end!

I have eGpu on my table and after a lot of testing and seaching I still cannot get it up and running. For me it just looks like OS doesn't detect it, no matter how you plug it/power it up, nothing new will be seen in Device manager. I tried Setup 1.1, looked through help but still no solution. Only thing I can see is three green LEDs on board and card fan spinning.

I'm beginning to fear that my laptop goes into 'no way' category, as it's not the most common one. So I'm asking if there is any hope with this combination:

Board:

PE4H-EC2C ver2.4

Win7 Ultimate SP1, 32Bit

Laptop:

Siemens Field PG M3, Intel Core i5 CPU M520, 2,4GHz, 3GB ram

GPU:

Asus ENGTX560 DC/2DI/1GD5

post-6699-14494993817091_thumb.png

I'm beginning to fear that my laptop goes into 'no way' category, as it's not the most common one. So I'm asking if there is any hope with this combination:

Board:

PE4H-EC2C ver2.4

Main point now is confirming if your expresscard slot works. Are there any settings in the bios that disable the expresscard slot? I'd suggest set SW1 to position 1 (no delay), power on the eGPU, then hotplug it into the expresscard slot. Is the eGPU detected in Setup 1.1x or does a Device Manager scan show the a new device? If no success then I'd be testing a e-sata or USB 3.0 (pcie) expresscard to further test if the expresscard slot works.

Hi there! Im trying to get rid of error 12. Im using a MacBook Pro Retina + GTX560ti + TH05 Thunderbolt Kit. Tried DSDT Override aswell as eGPU setup with no luck. While using eGPU setup I'm unable to disable GT650m (hangs up) while HD4000 can't be started.

Any Ideas?

post-6707-14494993817306_thumb.jpg

post-6707-14494993817505_thumb.jpg

post-6707-14494993817702_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.