eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Again true - but...

That's a comparison of an 3.6GHz Intel Ivy Bridge i7 against a 3.5GHz AMD Bulldozer. It well known (yes - I'm missing evidence) that AMD has nothing worthy in the gaming space right now.

The point bjorm raised was a comparison of a 3.2GHz Sandy Bridge i5 vs a 3.1GHz Sandy Bridge i7.

I'll wager that an i5 running a GTX760 has decent gains (50%+ fps) over a GTX560ti as long as you can cope without physics. I'll also wager that if enabling physics crushes your CPU enough that a GTX760 doesn't offer any improvement over a GTX560ti, then you've got bad enough frame rates you wouldn't want to be using physics with either GPU. In that event, a quad core CPU really would help.

A link: AnandTech | Bench - GPU13. I do not believe the gaming tests there are particularly CPU-limited with a Sandy Bridge i5.

I guess my evidence for i5 vs i7 gaming is here: AnandTech | Bench - CPU

desktop i5 is still a quad core, unlike laptops where i5s are dual cores. The 2600K is only around 8% faster than the 2500K (3% due to frequency and 5% due to cache). A better example of laptop i5 vs laptop i7 is this:

AnandTech | Bench - CPU

The difference isn't as bad as AMD vs intel, but it's substantial.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay update! I got everything working! I swapped the PSU for a cheaper one laying around and everything works. Only one problem though. The only game I play is World of Warcraft. It isn't a very demanding game in terms of GPU. Whenever I start playing I'm at a solid 60+ fps for a few seconds. Then it drops back down to mid 30s and peaks at mid 40s. It seems like a very sluggish 30-40 as well. This also happens when I tab out and tab back in. I'll be at 60+ then drops again. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Also with the chipset I have being able to run Gen 2 speeds does that mean I'm automatically running at those speeds? Or do I need to do something?

So I've got all components ready. (eGPU in sig +PE4L)

Using Setup 1.x, I've been able to get my eGPU (GTX 650 Ti Boost) detected immediately. Driver installation was a success.

Here's what I've done so far as a first try

1. Installed setup 1.x
  2. Connected eGPU via mPCIe
  3. Turned off dGPU
  4. Attempted PCI Compaction (iGPU eGPU)
  5. Hot reset the PCI port for Nvidia
  6. Chainload to Windows 7
  7. Installed Intel HD 3000 3190WHQL driver.
  8. Installed Nvidia driver 314.22 (for to avoid R319 that can potentially have issues)

Optimus works but I currently have the problems listed below:

1. When using the Chainload test run option, this message appeared
    WARNING: Some unallocated PCI devices exist as do not have pci valid alloc=yes. Recommend cancel. perform PCI compaction to get all devices allocated then proceed to chainload.

2. 3DMark Ice Storm score: Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2450M Processor,Hewlett-Packard 1794 Cloud Gate: Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2450M Processor,Hewlett-Packard 1794

Am I missing out something to get the eGPU working properly at the very least?

Btw, no encounters of error 12 or error 10 in device manager at all.

I haven't got the time to test things out further so far. Would appreciate if someone could help me with this issue. :)

Am I missing out something to get the eGPU working properly at the very least?

Btw, no encounters of error 12 or error 10 in device manager at all.

I haven't got the time to test things out further so far. Would appreciate if someone could help me with this issue. :)

You posted the same about two days ago. Have you had time to test it further? It's not really clear what the issue is with the eGPU.

From your post, you are getting a warning in Setup 1.x about unallocated devices after doing an iGPU+eGPU compaction. That would be the case if there are other bios unallocated devices. Then youv'e chainloaded into Windows and ran a 3dmark benchmark successfully using the eGPU.

Now the 3dmark version you've ran gives no comparative data to work with since it's newer. So please run 3dmark06 on an external LCD connected to the eGPU and run GPU-Z while it's loaded to confirm you are getting x1 pci-e compression AND x1 2.0, combined being represented as x1.2Opt. If all works, then consider running RE5-dx9-1280x800 as well. Those results then giving an indication of where your system sits on the leaderboard on first post. Ensure you disable the NVidia audio devices associated with the eGPU to use ALL the x1 bandwidth for video data only.

A DV4-3000 was a popular system so a writeup with benchmarks would help other owners replicate your results.

Nando4, would you know why my eGPU is being throttled? It isn't a temp issue at all, right now I'm running at 33c. But when I tab in WoW I'm sitting at literally over 100 frames for only a few seconds. Then it drops down to 40s, it doesn't matter what the settings are.

Nando4, would you know why my eGPU is being throttled? It isn't a temp issue at all, right now I'm running at 33c. But when I tab in WoW I'm sitting at literally over 100 frames for only a few seconds. Then it drops down to 40s, it doesn't matter what the settings are.

You'll need to investigate if the card is being overclocked beyond what it's capable of. Then it may throttle/downclock giving poor performance.

If it's pci-e bandwidth starvation then try the standard techniques to improve that: have a pci-e 2.0 capable system + eGPU hardware, use an external LCD instead of internal if using Optimus, disable NVidia audio devices to maximize video bandwidth, try Khenglish's microstutter tweak here or decrease color depth 32bit->16bit color here.

It would help too if you listed what gear you are using. Ie: notebook, eGPU adapter, video card. It's not listed in any of your previous posts.

Yes both the T500 and the T410 respectively express card slot 54 and 34. Both laptops have 8gb RAM and C2D-T9600 (T500) and i7-620M (T410). Not sure if there is any difference really besides the side of the express card slot, but I might end up using the eGPU for the T410 due to it has the best CPU.

I have been living in mainland China for the past 4 years so might just buy it from here: Íâ½ÓÏÔ¿¨Éù¿¨ ¿É´ïµ½PCIE 2.0 PE4L-EC060A-ÌÔ±¦Íø I guess that is the same one as you are referring too?

You'll need to investigate if the card is being overclocked beyond what it's capable of. Then it may throttle/downclock giving poor performance.

If it's pci-e bandwidth starvation then try the standard techniques to improve that: have a pci-e 2.0 capable system + eGPU hardware, use an external LCD instead of internal if using Optimus, disable NVidia audio devices to maximize video bandwidth, try Khenglish's microstutter tweak here or decrease color depth 32bit->16bit color here.

It would help too if you listed what gear you are using. Ie: notebook, eGPU adapter, video card. It's not listed in any of your previous posts.

LENOVO 8HET43WW(1.25), 2013-03-01 Modell 11433LG

As long as I get, my TOLUD is B and is actually lower than 3Gb

Dev manager without eGPU

With GPU

It's the same memory allocation as I have. AFAIK, that means 3,0GB. Infact in task manager I have almost 3,0GB of total ram (without pae): a bit less because a little goes as shared memory for the integrated graphics.

Hi Nando..

I recently donated for your Setup 1.2, but I'm still having problems, wondering if you could help me out...

I'm running a late 2012 Mac Mini (2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD). The GPU I'm using is an old-school Nvidia GeForce 9800GT.

I have the Sonnet TB>expresscard adapter, and the PE4L. I pretty much have the same setup as the OP's Macbook Air 2013 in terms of my eGPU stuff.

I have got so far as to get Windows booting with my GPU showing in device manager (drivers installed) and the Error code 12.

So I've tried using Setup 1.2 to fix that, but I don't think I have the correct pci.bat or startup files.

I have read countless posts regarding how to customize it to my Mac Mini and 9800GT, but I'm having no luck in decoding what it means and you need to change....

Can you possibly help me with a pci.bat and config settings for my Mac Mini?

Or even explain what the code within the files means, so I can try to make one?

If you need more info from Setup 1.2's diagnostics or anything, just say. Thanks for your time and effort on this Nando!

Edit: I should add that I installed Windows a while ago through bootcamp, and not the way the original post has specified. Could that be the reason maybe...

Hi Nando..

I recently donated for your Setup 1.2, but I'm still having problems, wondering if you could help me out...

I'm running a late 2012 Mac Mini (2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD). The GPU I'm using is an old-school Nvidia GeForce 9800GT.

I have the Sonnet TB>expresscard adapter, and the PE4L. I pretty much have the same setup as the OP's Macbook Air 2013 in terms of my eGPU stuff.

I have got so far as to get Windows booting with my GPU showing in device manager (drivers installed) and the Error code 12.

So I've tried using Setup 1.2 to fix that, but I don't think I have the correct pci.bat or startup files.

I have read countless posts regarding how to customize it to my Mac Mini and 9800GT, but I'm having no luck in decoding what it means and you need to change....

Can you possibly help me with a pci.bat and config settings for my Mac Mini?

Or even explain what the code within the files means, so I can try to make one?

If you need more info from Setup 1.2's diagnostics or anything, just say. Thanks for your time and effort on this Nando!

Edit: I should add that I installed Windows a while ago through bootcamp, and not the way the original post has specified. Could that be the reason maybe...

I'm running the same setup you are except that I am using a newer nvidia 660. Your card could be the issue because older cards didn't compress as much memory as the newer kepler and fermi cards do. Do you have a 4xx-7xx nvidia card you might be able to test it with?

Also, You will be pleasantly pleased with the results for your Mac Mini :) Incredibly small form factor with awesome performance.

Hello,

I finally got my eGPU up and running, but I have an issue with calalyst driver

The notebook has a Radeon 4670 inside, and for the eGPU I got a Radeon 7950, the latest Catalyst who works for both is version 12.4.

How could I disable dGPU (not possible according to here Video cards.Hybrid gfx since I don't have an iGPU) or install 2 versions of catalyst in 1 PC and make them coexist ?

Thanks

Hello,

I finally got my eGPU up and running, but I have an issue with calalyst driver

The notebook has a Radeon 4670 inside, and for the eGPU I got a Radeon 7950, the latest Catalyst who works for both is version 12.4.

How could I disable dGPU (not possible according to here Video cards.Hybrid gfx since I don't have an iGPU) or install 2 versions of catalyst in 1 PC and make them coexist ?

Thanks

Assuming your laptop has enough PCI config space available both cards should run simultaneously with no issues.

Also you will need to run at least x2 for the 7950 to be better than the 4670.

Hi all, my configuration is :

- ASUS K53SV

- i5-2410M 2.3GHz

- 6 GB of RAM

- Intel HD Graphics 3000 + Nvidia GeForce GT540M

- Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

I have mini pcie (wifi one) so thought to buy a PE4L-PM200A.

I would like to use an external gpu like a 670gtx. E-gpu can works on my laptop? is compatible? Will I encounter issues with memory resource allocation or other issues?

Thank you

Actually I tried Setup 1.x and didn't succeed to disable dGPU, maybe I didn't operate correctly

I also found in this page written by Tech Inferno Fan Video cards.Hybrid gfx

If I understand correctly, in case that you only have dGPU and use Win7, it's a no way to disable primary dGPU

Hoping that I am wrong, I don't want to stick with Catalyst 12.4 and miss all improvements brought by newer versions.

If it works like Nvidia, you can install a driver for the 7950 and that same driver will run the 4670 even if it is not included in the .inf.

There should be no reason to disable your dGPU.

Assuming your laptop has enough PCI config space available both cards should run simultaneously with no issues.

Also you will need to run at least x2 for the 7950 to be better than the 4670.

Yes, both cards run simultaneously without issues, as long as the Catalyst driver is compatible with both of them.

But the problem is that AMD no longer supports HD 4000 series in newer Catalyst, and I saw bug fixes and performance enhancements with these new versions.

I tried to do a DSDT override before I figured out the real issue comes from driver. I installed Catalyst 13.6 and since the primary dGPU is not supported, I can't use eGPU neither.

And after installing the right version of Catalyst, there is no need to do a DSDT override, plus, it is causing BSOD when eGPU is not attached, so I just undoned it.

For number of PCIE lanes, with PCIE 1.1x1 (PE4H), 7950 already largely out performed 4670 (43M vs 5M transistors, 3DMark Cloud Gate GPU score : 34260 vs 5767).

And I also ordered 3 PM3N to build a PCIE 1.1 x4 configuration, since my laptop can do that (XPS 1645). Can't wait to receive them to see performance improvements with higher bandwidth

- - - Updated - - -

If it works like Nvidia, you can install a driver for the 7950 and that same driver will run the 4670 even if it is not included in the .inf.

There should be no reason to disable your dGPU.

I searched for modded Catalyst drivers, but they will replace core files with legacy ones (AMD updates in parallel Catalyst for legacy cards, latest version : 13.4 Legacy)

Legacy core files works with 7950, but the performance drop compared to 12.4 is between 30%~40%, so I just abandoned this way of modding drivers.

Maybe I can modify in an opposite way to force legacy card to use new card's core files. Worth a try

Yes, both cards run simultaneously without issues, as long as the Catalyst driver is compatible with both of them.

But the problem is that AMD no longer supports HD 4000 series in newer Catalyst, and I saw bug fixes and performance enhancements with these new versions.

I tried to do a DSDT override before I figured out the real issue comes from driver. I installed Catalyst 13.6 and since the primary dGPU is not supported, I can't use eGPU neither.

And after installing the right version of Catalyst, there is no need to do a DSDT override, plus, it is causing BSOD when eGPU is not attached, so I just undoned it.

For number of PCIE lanes, with PCIE 1.1x1 (PE4H), 7950 already largely out performed 4670 (43M vs 5M transistors, 3DMark Cloud Gate GPU score : 34260 vs 5767).

And I also ordered 3 PM3N to build a PCIE 1.1 x4 configuration, since my laptop can do that (XPS 1645). Can't wait to receive them to see performance improvements with higher bandwidth

- - - Updated - - -

I searched for modded Catalyst drivers, but they will replace core files with legacy ones (AMD updates in parallel Catalyst for legacy cards, latest version : 13.4 Legacy)

Legacy core files works with 7950, but the performance drop compared to 12.4 is between 30%~40%, so I just abandoned this way of modding drivers.

Maybe I can modify in an opposite way to force legacy card to use new card's core files. Worth a try

You should not need to install a modded driver. Just install a standard modern driver for the 7950.

x4 pci-e 1.1 should perform well. Looking forward to seeing the results.

@Eisbrecher99 In my opinion there is something wrong with your eGPU, your results in 3dm11, especially graphics score are definitely too low for GTX760 and Gen2.

Hm, I reinstalled the driver and now the result is 6867 points in 3dmark11 for the external display. By the way the new GTX760's are only new labeled GTX660 Ti with an higher clock and more bandwith which results in ~10% more performance. I took the new one cause the difference in price was only 17€. :)

Hm, I reinstalled the driver and now the result is 6867 points in 3dmark11 for the external display. By the way the new GTX760's are only new labeled GTX660 Ti with an higher clock and more bandwith which results in ~10% more performance. I took the new one cause the difference in price was only 17€. :)

They are still to low, take a look on my results.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-155.html#post59070

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.