eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Thanks for the fast reply!

I will give that a go now. I'm assuming I hit F2 while in the menu mode?

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I just tried that. I can confirm that I put it in the ramdisk only mode in the menu screen as it change the display details in the main menu screen, however it still failed the compaction process on the same line:

copy R:\config\pci.bat (ramdisk) -> c:\config\pci.bat (drv) ...

Are there any other setting I need to force?

Anyone got any idea's that I can try? I feel that I am very close to getting this working.

Cheers.

HI guys,

First of all, thanks for the great thread.

I'm living in Vietnam, and it's very hard for me to reach the seller, so I only had one chance to order the adapter ( because it could cost me a lot). Could you guys please help me with the following information?

I'm using a X220 and having a spare ATI 6770 + PSU 350W. So which version should I buy ? PE4L or PE4H? And do I need to install or make any changes of my laptop to make it run at the best as it could?

Thanks a lot for your attention and help.

You are running in x4 mode. When I did x2 testing I found a HP DV2000 did maintain the link width after a resume. A Dell Inspiron 1440 (x1E) would reset the port back to x1. So the system's bios is resetting the ports.

It may be technically possible to set the port to x4 in Windows. The way to do that would be using devcon to disable the port, then use setpci and a tool like r-w evverything to do PCI and memory writes. You'd be duplicating those done within Setup 1.x to set x4 mode. Once done, you'd enable the port again using devcon.

Can you tell me please in detail. I touched never devcon. Screenshot would be helpful for me.

<sub>

I'm using a X220 and having a spare ATI 6770 + PSU 350W. So which version should I buy ? PE4L or PE4H?

If your X220 is a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge version, which means it support PCI 2.0, go for the PE4L version !

With the PE4L a X1.2 opt setup is just as powerful as the PE4H X4 setup.</sub>

Hi guys !

I'm so excited my new eGPU setup is now finally working !

You may have read my message before and I was wrong none of my GPU was dead, but the PE4L was no longer working. I still don't know why it didn't work, I notice a wire, on the PE4L had been torn out but I've re soldered it and it didn't make any change. I've investigated the PM3N of the PE4L and when I've removed the sleeve it torn at least 3 wires and I could resolder one of them. So I've order a new PE4L which was a bit reworked compared to my first PE4L 2.1b. There is a new jump somewhere on the PM3N and it is no longer necessary to make the jump ourself.

So here is my setup :D

- Sony SV-Z1311C5E 8Gb i7 3612QM @ always running at 2.8 Ghz.

- PE4L-PM060A 2.1b

- XBOX 360 PSU mod

- ZOTAC GTX 660 Ti AMP! 2Gb

And Windows 8 64 bit !

I'd be glad to do some benchmarks but 3DMark 06 keep make the computer freezing.... I've googled it and it seems to be related to futuremark system analyser... So other 3DMark might be affected too.

I couldn't try it much, I've made it working few minutes ago and could just try borderlands 2 on internal LCD. Which work just as expected :).

I'll keep you updated with pictures and benchmarks !

Hi guys !

You may have read my message before and I was wrong none of my GPU was dead, but the PE4L was no longer working. I still don't know why it didn't work, I notice a wire, on the PE4L had been torn out but I've re soldered it and it didn't make any change. I've investigated the PM3N of the PE4L and when I've removed the sleeve it torn at least 3 wires and I could resolder one of them. So I've order a new PE4L which was a bit reworked compared to my first PE4L 2.1b. There is a new jump somewhere on the PM3N and it is no longer necessary to make the jump ourself.

- PE4L-PM060A 2.1b

- XBOX 360 PSU mod

And Windows 8 64 bit !

I'd be glad to do some benchmarks but 3DMark 06 keep make the computer freezing.... I've googled it and it seems to be related to futuremark system analyser... So other 3DMark might be affected too.

I couldn't try it much, I've made it working few minutes ago and could just try borderlands 2 on internal LCD. Which work just as expected :).

Congratulations on getting everything working! I take it it runs well in Windows 8 then? Running the Release Preview?

Yay!

^Thank you :)

I'm trying the Windows 8 enterprise 90-day evaluation I think it's the final version.

The eGPU runs well so far but the DIY eGPU setup didn't work properly not sure why... But my setup works well without it.

Your desk is so pretty and clean! I'll take a picture of my setup (it's way messier).

Also, that ZOTAC card is really short o.o

I have the EVGA one, super long. I'll get pics of the innards of my enclosure.

We should play Borderlands 2 together! We are both Sirens :D

I like your speakers too, Harman Kardon?

Nice bike, what's the make?

I like your view too, I look at a wall.

I currently run Windows 7 Enterprise. But the full version, I don't know of many people that actually use Enterprise on personal/home PCs.

Thanks, well I've cleaned it up for posting picture ^^ it was much more messier before ! ^^

Yeah the eVGA is something like 25cm ? While the ZOTAC is more like 19cm.

But I may buy the eVGA GTX 670 SuperClocked 4gb and swap the cooler with my ZOTAC.

This eVGA has a reference PCB, which is 17cm and almost identical to the GTX 660 Ti (and my ZOTAC has the reference PCB).

So I will have the smallest GTX 670, since ZOTAC GTX 670 is 25cm long too.

But the GTX 660 Ti may be enough for me, and the GTX 670 SC 4gb is not that cheap..

We should definitely play together :D

Lol you're right for the speakers, and my bike is a LAPIERRE technic FSX.

I'll post a fake picture of my room when I get home (fake = cleaned up for the picture but actually way messy in reality)

For me the GTX 660 Ti is fine enough for me. I've always been on old laptops with integrated all my life, so this is an intense boost in performance. Size would be nice, but for my enclosure it doesn't matter too much, I'm more having an issue with depth. I'll try to get pictures up in a few hours.

My card never goes above 60C so I'm not worried much about heat issues (I don't overclock either). I plan to mount a few laptop fans in the case to help direct airflow (I work a a computer repair place so I can get my hands on a lot of these).

That's a slick bike, what kind of riding do you do?

Depends on various things... I might be able to unlock the bios and there might be an option for th iGPU in there, but even then it might still not be supported hardware-wise.

Depends on various things... I might be able to unlock the bios and there might be an option for th iGPU in there, but even then it might still not be supported hardware-wise.

Thank u. Another question, do i need to disable my primary graphic card which is Nvidia GF310m. Also, there's no extra Mini PCIe port, can i remove my wifi adapter to connect to the eGPU?

Thank u. Another question, do i need to disable my primary graphic card which is Nvidia GF310m. Also, there's no extra Mini PCIe port, can i remove my wifi adapter to connect to the eGPU?

The primary video card must remain enabled for an eGPU to work. In your case, there is no Intel HD graphics instead you have a G310M. You could use your wifi mPCIe slot for an eGPU. Overall your system is not a good one to attach an eGPU since you can only do x1 1.0 (no x1.Opt or x2). Means there will be very visible stuttering. Suggest instead getting a Lenovo E420, Dell Vostro 3450 or HP Probook 4430s. All those have an iGPU, are pci-e 2.0 capable, have an expresscard slot and are usually available in the s/h market for a low price. They are all x1.2Opt capable, much faster than what your G460+eGPU could deliver.

Your TOLUD=AFA00000, which we round up to B0000000 (2.75GB). There is plenty of 32-bit PCI space to host a eGPU.

so i can use > 4gb ram in my laptop right?

this is my laptop spec

model asus a53s

cpu i5 2410m 2.3ghz

igpu intel hd3000

dgpu nvidia g540m

is this ok for my laptop to use egpu?

Recently I purchased the DIY eGPU application and it seemed to install fine by running all 3 bat files. I also have run the recent update.

The eGPU is detected successfully, however when in menu mode the application stops when I either attempt to disable the dGPU through it OR run the compaction process. It's odd cos the cursor on the screen keep flashing but does not respond to any input. When running the compaction it stops on the following line:

copy R:\config\pci.bat (ramdisk) -> c:\config\pci.bat (drv) ...

Anyone seen similar? It appears as though the application cannot write to the mounted drive.

I've also noticed I can't save screen shots, the setup of CUTEMOUSE fails and if I use the keyboard on the blue menu screen, I can't scroll past menu selection 2 (so i have to select with the numbers on the keyboard).

My setup is as follows:

Macbook Pro 17" Late 2012

OSX/Win 7 (Bootcamp)

TH05 Thunderbolt adapter

eGPU = MSI Radeon 7770

Does anyone know what part of the application is responsible for writing to disk? If there is a particular module I can look into I will try and debug this myself. Cheers.

If your X220 is a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge version, which means it support PCI 2.0, go for the PE4L version !

With the PE4L a X1.2 opt setup is just as powerful as the PE4H X4 setup.

Hi guys !

- PE4L-PM060A 2.1b

- XBOX 360 PSU mod

And Windows 8 64 bit !

Thanks MikjoA for your advice. But does 1.2Opt work with ATI card ?

Thanks.

so i can use > 4gb ram in my laptop right?

this is my laptop spec

model asus a53s

cpu i5 2410m 2.3ghz

igpu intel hd3000

dgpu nvidia g540m

is this ok for my laptop to use egpu?

If you have an accessible mPCIe or expresscard slot, then yes.

Does anyone know what part of the application is responsible for writing to disk? If there is a particular module I can look into I will try and debug this myself. Cheers.

grub4dos mounts the disk image as a disk. It looks like there is some problem with writing to those images when used on a Macbook. Probably it's a Mac bios emulation issue that needs to be studied.

You can use compact manually at the command line (see compact commandline) and then do 'call ifs shell' to mount your NTFS partitions and copy across the resultant pci.bat, boot to Windows then copy pci.bat as v:\config . I've done some partial research there finding that compact doesn't solve the error 12 seen on Macbooks just yet. Likely the I/O port isn't being allocated properly. This problem has been highlighted to the compact author.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you have an accessible mPCIe or expresscard slot, then yes.

i have one mPCIe slot so i can do 1.2Opt right?

one more things is i have order my PE4H-PM3N ver2.4 from Bplus yesterday via paypal, my payment status is completed but my order status still empty. is this because they dont have receive my payment or what?

i have one mPCIe slot so i can do 1.2Opt right?

one more things is i have order my PE4H-PM3N ver2.4 from Bplus yesterday via paypal, my payment status is completed but my order status still empty. is this because they dont have receive my payment or what?

PE4H-PM3N 2.4 can do x1.1Opt only. You need PE4L-PM060A 2.1b to do x1.2Opt with your system. Suggest change your order. The doubling of bandwidth x1.2Opt offers over x1.1Opt definitely worth it.

• Thumbs Up 1

PE4H-PM3N 2.4 can do x1.1Opt only. You need PE4L-PM060A 2.1b to do x1.2Opt with your system. Suggest change your order. The doubling of bandwidth x1.2Opt offers over x1.1Opt definitely worth it.

what is different between PE4L-PM060A, PE4L-PM100A, PE4L-PM200A? and is im need egpu setup to?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.