eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

The problem should not be the fact that it's a 100cm cable (I'm using Gen 2 on a 200cm cable on a T420).

You say that you've tried going back to the PE4H and that was OK - have you tried the PE4H setup on your T530 (with bios set to Gen 1) or was that with your old T500? If the PE4H is working on your T530 but the PE4L is not, then I'd strongly suspect an issue with the PE4L. If you haven't tried the PE4H on your T530, you should do that next to determine whether it's a hardward issue with the PE4L or a software issue on the T530.

I sold my T500 and the PE4H with EC works since two months correctly with my T530. Tomorrow I will try another 530W PSU, so I can exclude that the Silverstone SFX causes a problem with the power. My Silverstone SFX has 450W, 36A on the 12V lane. Actually that should be enough...

Are there any experiences with the goodwill of Bplus for replacement? I wrote them already my problem.

I really don't want to be rude, but how are you going to cancel your order when they doesn't answer?

I'm in the same situation as you :(

Maybe we should gather up and confront them in some way?

I filed a paypal dispute with them yesterday, and oddly enough as soon as I did that I received an email from harmonic inversion saying my order had been changed from "pending" to "cancelled" :\. Guess I'll have to wait for my refund now and order elsewhere (is mfactors legit?)

I filed a paypal dispute with them yesterday, and oddly enough as soon as I did that I received an email from harmonic inversion saying my order had been changed from "pending" to "cancelled" :\. Guess I'll have to wait for my refund now and order elsewhere (is mfactors legit?)

I had the same issue with HIT a while back when I ordered my PE4L and it was defective...

I sent them multiple emails saying I wanted to RMA it for a new one....nothing happened until I filed a paypal dispute.

Pretty sure that company is way understaffed or just doesn't give a damn.

Granted I did eventually get a working PE4L, but it shouldn't take that much time...

I had the same issue with HIT a while back when I ordered my PE4L and it was defective...

I sent them multiple emails saying I wanted to RMA it for a new one....nothing happened until I filed a paypal dispute.

Pretty sure that company is way understaffed or just doesn't give a damn.

Granted I did eventually get a working PE4L, but it shouldn't take that much time...

Interesting, tbh the only reason I ordered from them was for the free setup 1.x. Did you eventually get in contact with them for a working PE4L, or get a refund and order somewhere else? If so, how long did your refund take?

Interesting, tbh the only reason I ordered from them was for the free setup 1.x. Did you eventually get in contact with them for a working PE4L, or get a refund and order somewhere else? If so, how long did your refund take?

I received it at the end of November 2012. I emailed them December 3rd. Opened paypal dispute December 27th (I figured 3 weeks was enough time to respond to an email...). Received an email from Randy the 1st of January (damn, that was quick!). Got everything sorted out by the 7th of January.

• Thumbs Up 1

God dammit, I paid with credit card!

Any suggestions for me? :(:(:(

Try calling your credit card company and ask for a chargeback.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3793-summary-dealing-hits-abandoned-egpu-commitments-%5Bcustomer-thread%5D.html#post53541 linked as Important: "HIT Setup 1.x customers" link from NEWS section on the first page has been updated:

6-12-2013: Suggest HIT Setup 1.1x customers lodge CC chargeback or Paypal dispute and donate to get Setup 1.20 directly from me

(6-11-2013 post): I filed a paypal dispute with them yesterday, and oddly enough as soon as I did that I received an email from harmonic inversion saying my order had been changed from "pending" to "cancelled" :\. Guess I'll have to wait for my refund now and order elsewhere (is mfactors legit?)

Nando4>> Thank you for this. It means Randy from HIT is filtering his emails and only responding to ones that have a definite refunding process in place, ie: Paypal and CC chargebacks. Others are filtered so he can avoid paying up. I'm one of the the filtered ones.

Suggest then anybody who donated for Setup 1.1x after Feb 2012 to lodge a CC chargeback or a Paypal dispute. The reason: HIT's Setup 1.x advertising claimed "The $25 fee for this software will allow the development of this DIY eGPU community-based product". The developer (Tech Inferno Fan) had advised "HIT is not responding to the developers emails originating from April 2013 requesting distributing of donate funds to cover development costs. That means that HIT obtained funds fraudulently with bait advertising."

HIT are not honoring their contractual obligations with me. If I was a US citizen then a small claims case (think Judge Judy) could deal with it. Unfortunately being an Australian citizen in Australia doesn't help. So the simplest solution is for affected users to get a refund from Paypal or their CC and (if received) can PM or email me on Tech Inferno [email protected] to donate directly. Users who do this will get the much better Setup 1.20 for their troubles.

Try calling your credit card company and ask for a chargeback.

Yes, I'll do that. Thanks!

(Can help but to feel pissed of right now, good luck with your new scam business Randy.)

I have HP 4530s it's basically the same except screen size.

Express card slot is very fiddly of probook series, you have to insert it very swiftly or sometimes it can't be recognized.

So if you have dedicated graphics hd radeon you have to disable it in bios than halt windows with pressing F8 and than plug pe4l and resume win.

If you have only intel than only halt win with F8, plug pe4l than resume win it should work.

So i did what as above and had some interesting results But first...

1) how do I disable the radeon in bios? Once upon boot I press ESC and get to a systems menu. Then I look at configurations and I see nothing of the sort. I know my computer has amd grahpics because the sticker is on the computer, and if I install the drivers I get 7470M.

2) I disabled the radeon in device manager. Uninstalled the drivers. Then F8ed while windows would boot. I ended up getting the gtx 660 ti to "working" under device manager but nothing would happen. Then, I plugged out the expresscard and plugged it back in only to run into error 43 again.

Any ideas? sigh.... Thank you Frula and Nando.

So i did what as above and had some interesting results But first...

1) how do I disable the radeon in bios?

Upon boot you press F10 not esc. Than in system subsection you select 2nd row where your expresscard speed,sata,integrated peripherals are.

Down on the bottom you have tick box under switchable graphics, and just untick the box and save bios. I can't remember by hard i'am at work now.

I will update this post when i now exactly where it is located.

After saving bios you halt win (F8) plug pe4l resume win.I suppose you have valid nvidia driver installed before hand.When you get in win you will probably still have win on you laptop screen.You have to go to display properties and select screen number "2" external monitor if you have one.

Good luck, it should work,except if something is wrong with PE4l adapter.

Hey guys, I have see that is possible with a new PCIEMM-060B to upgrade the PE4H V2.4 and PE4L V1.5 to PCI-e 2.0...

If have anybody more Info's please let me know it ;)

Unfortunately that is not the case. A little while back BPlus did claim Gen2 compatibility with PCIEM-060B flatcable but numerous customers, including myself, proved that it was not the case. It was deduced that the mHDMI connectors caused signal degradation such that only Gen1 link speeds are possible. Whether the cause is unmatched impedance (leading to reflections) or shielding/noise I'm not sure.

It means we can quickly deduce that from BPlus' current inventory it's only the devices that are soldered on both ends that are Gen2 compliant. That means a PE4L-2.1 or PE4H-3.2 or newer are the only Gen2 compliant devices they have available.

Best way to upgrade from a PE4H 2.4 to a PE4L 2.1b is to sell of the former and purchase the latter. PE4H 2.4 is certainly still desirable for systems that are Gen1 compliant only. It's full x16 slot making it a more stable platform for use and lower s/h price means someone will want it.

Unfortunately that is not the case. A little while back BPlus did claim Gen2 compatibility with PCIEM-060B flatcable but numerous customers, including myself, proved that it was not the case. It was deduced that the mHDMI connectors caused signal degradation such that only Gen1 link speeds are possible. Whether the cause is unmatched impedance (leading to reflections) or shielding/noise I'm not sure.

It means we can quickly deduce that from BPlus' current inventory it's only the devices that are soldered on both ends that are Gen2 compliant. That means a PE4L-2.1 or PE4H-3.2 or newer are the only Gen2 compliant devices they have available.

Best way to upgrade from a PE4H 2.4 to a PE4L 2.1b is to sell of the former and purchase the latter. PE4H 2.4 is certainly still desirable for systems that are Gen1 compliant only. It's full x16 slot making it a more stable platform for use and lower s/h price means someone will want it.

It could be interessting to compare the perofrmance between the two cable... If Bplus says that it's a gen 2 solution , it's that it could be more powerfull than the old flat cable with a vers 1.5 of PE4L or vers 2.4 of PE4H ... Maybe by using special hmdi connectors ...

It could be interessting to compare the perofrmance between the two cable... If Bplus says that it's a gen 2 solution , it's that it could be more powerfull than the old flat cable with a vers 1.5 of PE4L or vers 2.4 of PE4H ... Maybe by using special hmdi connectors ...

But bplus doesn't say that it's gen2 capable (since nan do informed them). The link above is to Harmonic Inversion (a US distributor). And they obviously didn't get (or pay attention to) the memo that says it doesn't work.

Edit: No You're Right, The Link Is To Bplus

But bplus doesn't say that it's gen2 capable (since nan do informed them). The link above is to Harmonic Inversion (a US distributor). And they obviously didn't get (or pay attention to) the memo that says it doesn't work.

Well they still claim that the "round" cable at the left hand side is GEN2 and the right (flat cable) is GEN1.

Is this updated by BPLUS since @Tech Inferno Fan talked to them or is this yet a new claim?

Dammit. I jumped up and down at first, "finally a detachable GEN2 solution for PM3N!!".

Do they even test their products before stating that it is capable of doing 'this and that'?!

EDIT: They even claim that PE4L2.1b is now GEN3 capable.

Well they still claim that the "round" cable at the left hand side is GEN2 and the right (flat cable) is GEN1.

Is this updated by BPLUS since @Tech Inferno Fan talked to them or is this yet a new claim?

Dammit. I jumped up and down at first, "finally a detachable GEN2 solution for PM3N!!".

Do they even test their products before stating that it is capable of doing 'this and that'?!

EDIT: They even claim that PE4L2.1b is now GEN3 capable.

I'll take back my previous assertions. I can see they've updated their website and claim that a PCIEMM-060A is Gen1 compliant and a PCIEMM-060B is Gen2 compliant. They are different cables. I've only tested the Gen1 PCIEM-060A one.

We need someone with a PE4L 1.5 to test a PCIEMM-060B (EC or mPCIe) to see what it does when set to run in Gen2 mode. I'll make some enquiries with BPlus. It would be great as then a PE4H 2.4 + PCIEMM-060B could give a x4 2.0 capable platform for testing.

@jacobsson:

I think one user here already showed that the PE4L 2.1b is Gen 3 capable (using a HTPC setup). So in this case it looks like a legit claim of Bplus. However, it is not much of a help for most eGPU-users as no laptop has a Gen 3 capable Expresscard slot or a Gen 3 mPCIe slot.

I'll take back my previous assertions. I can see they've updated their website and claim that a PCIEMM-060A is Gen1 compliant and a PCIEMM-060B is Gen2 compliant. They are different cables. I've only tested the Gen1 PCIEM-060A one.

We need someone with a PE4L 1.5 to test a PCIEMM-060B (EC or mPCIe) to see what it does when set to run in Gen2 mode. I'll make some enquiries with BPlus.

Well I'm absolutely willing to test this if there is any chance of returning it. I also think they should stand for shipping costs back and forth if their claims are false.

I'm saying this since I'm going to buy 1 or 2 new units for work =)

Hello all,

Recently I figured out how to make everything work, and everything is running fine right now.

At the moment I'm running a Radeon HD7870 Ice Q Turbo on a series 4 chipset Asus G50V with a PE4H 2.4 adapter (gen1)

In setup 1.x I performed a x2 link (or 1xE) don't see much difference between both.

The performance isn't that bad if I compare it to the link speed 2x 1.0 instead of 16x 3.0 what the card is capable of.

However onboard I have an Nvidea 9700m GT which is almost performing at the same performance as my egpu.

The egpu is able to handle a bit more detail in far cry 3 but not that much more..

I hear a few of you thinking, why use a gen3 card when there are only gen1 and gen 2 adapters (and series 4 chipset only supports gen1)

Simple answer, I'm saving parts for a desktop and this way I can already use the graphics card.

However I kind of hoped that it would perform a bit better as is does.

I might try and create a x2E connection but my egpu is port 3 so I have to find a way to switch this to port 1 or so.

If someone is interested in benchmarks please let me know.

3dmark 11 runs P4406 with 1xE and the same card in a i7 gaming rig without overclocking runs P7139.

If I assume that the relation between these test numbers is linear the gaming rig only performs 1.6 times better but costs 3.2 times as much :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.