eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

No bios update.

The error is error 43 under device manager. I've already read the troubleshoot page for that error but im too dumb to understand what any of thats saying.

Any other guesses?

Guys!

Any knows if I can use that usb port on the pe4l adapter as usb hub working beside the egpu? I think that usb 2.0 would not carve out that much bandwith that it would be significant. Thanks for your answers!

The USB link on an expresscard/PE4L/PE4H are separate to the pci-e lines. Using it has no affect on the pci-e bandwidth.

So you say I can use it freely without any penalty? Awsome! :)

Guys!

Any knows if I can use that usb port on the pe4l adapter as usb hub working beside the egpu? I think that usb 2.0 would not carve out that much bandwith that it would be significant. Thanks for your answers!

The USB link on an expresscard/PE4L/PE4H are separate to the pci-e lines. Using it has no affect on the pci-e bandwidth.

Hi Guys!

I'm trying to do my PE4L 2.1 works, but I've no success yet.

My laptop has a T5550, Core2Duo 1.8ghz, and 4gb ram, it has no dGPU, and my onboard video is an Mobile Intel GMA 4500M.

With Setup 1.x I do the PCIe compression and chainload to win7, I can enter the Windows and I got video in external LCD and laptop LCD, but when I try to open a software, or when I try to do the Windows Experience Index the video crashes in both LCDS, it alternates between blank and normal image, and stuck, and non stuck, it blinks in a frequence of 10 sec. Sometimes I got the message that the "HD5450 drive recovered from a shutdown", when I run the Windows experience Index, this message appears many times.

My monitor is a SyncMaster LX151s, old monitor, I think it just handle the 1024X768 resolution, in the user manual, but when I connect it in my laptop without the eGPU I can reach the maximun resolution my iGPU supports, that is 1280x800. So I don't think the monitor is the problem.

My eGPU is a ATI HD 5450.

Anyone has experienced some problem like this?

Anyone has experience on Latitudes with Ivy?

A friend of mine has an E5430 and an older 1.5 PE4L. The first vga he bought was a hd5870. It was good on external, but he wanted to use the internal display. So I advised him to get a Fermi/Kepler. He changed to a gtx 470 now, but nothing works.

The external lcd crashes soon after win boot. If using the internal then he is able to recognize the vga, it is shown in the control panel, but the nv CC can not see it. Neither the gpuz.

Any advise?

The card is good. It was tested in a desktop machine.

I think the 1.5 PE4L is also good, since it went with the hd5870 earlier.

Is it something he should do with the setup.1x may be?

Have you seen it guys?

SilverStone debuts Thunderbolt external graphics card case | bit-tech.net

Looks like the big boys also starting to take more serious our setups! :)

Another big vendor jumping in. These guys look to be putting feelers out so that when 20Gbps Thunderbolt iarrives in 2014 they'll have an eager market willing to buy their gear. Should be a relatively straightforward process to adapt any current 10Gbps Thunderbolt gear they come up with to be the 20Gbps.

LucidLogix another one tempting the market. They too demoed a TB rig a white back then released no further hardware since. They have however kept their Virtu mobile software, required by iGPU equipped SB/IVB systems to provided eGPU accelerated internal display, under tight wraps. I got zero replies to my emails asking for a way to get that software.

Hi Guys!

I'm trying to do my PE4L 2.1 works, but I've no success yet.

My laptop has a T5550, Core2Duo 1.8ghz, and 4gb ram, it has no dGPU, and my onboard video is an Mobile Intel GMA 4500M.

With Setup 1.x I do the PCIe compression and chainload to win7, I can enter the Windows and I got video in external LCD and laptop LCD, but when I try to open a software, or when I try to do the Windows Experience Index the video crashes in both LCDS, it alternates between blank and normal image, and stuck, and non stuck, it blinks in a frequence of 10 sec. Sometimes I got the message that the "HD5450 drive recovered from a shutdown", when I run the Windows experience Index, this message appears many times.

My monitor is a SyncMaster LX151s, old monitor, I think it just handle the 1024X768 resolution, in the user manual, but when I connect it in my laptop without the eGPU I can reach the maximun resolution my iGPU supports, that is 1280x800. So I don't think the monitor is the problem.

My eGPU is a ATI HD 5450.

Anyone has experienced some problem like this?

Your result looks as if the hardware is failing. Diagnosis is done by swapping parts until the fault is found. So try the basics first: swap the PSU and if you have access to another machine, try the gear there. It's worth mentioning too that there have been incidents of crosstalk between the pci-e signals wires of a PE4L. That usually the result of the cable being bent around say 90degrees where it's been damaged, or the ends pulled.

Anyone has experience on Latitudes with Ivy?

A friend of mine has an E5430 and an older 1.5 PE4L. The first vga he bought was a hd5870. It was good on external, but he wanted to use the internal display. So I advised him to get a Fermi/Kepler. He changed to a gtx 470 now, but nothing works.

The external lcd crashes soon after win boot. If using the internal then he is able to recognize the vga, it is shown in the control panel, but the nv CC can not see it. Neither the gpuz.

Any advise?

The card is good. It was tested in a desktop machine.

I think the 1.5 PE4L is also good, since it went with the hd5870 earlier.

Is it something he should do with the setup.1x may be?

The PE4L 1.5 can only run reliably at Gen1 speed. So first point if the E5430 expresscard slot is running at the default Gen2 speed then he'll see symptoms as you describe. Check the bios for a setting. If one doesn't exist then use the Setup 1.x software to do this.

Second point is he'll need to hotplug the GT470 after boot so the iGPU becomes the primary and the eGPU the secondary. That is a pre-requisite of the NVidia driver to engage the Optimus features of x1 pci-e compression and internal LCD mode.

Problem with that is there is now a greater need for pci-e space and if your system is anything like a Dell E6230 which I attached a GTX660 here then it too may boot with TOLUD=3.5GB. Thankfully the bios did change that to be 3.0GB upon booting with the eGPU detected. If yours remains stuck at 3.5GB then you will need to do the DSDT override to provide sufficient pci-e space to host the GTX470.

Hi guys,

I ordered a PE4L from harmonic inversion a few days ago and payment has since cleared, though still no updates of when they will ship it out (status is still "pending"). Anyone have experience with harmonic inversions shipping times?

No bios update.

The error is error 43 under device manager. I've already read the troubleshoot page for that error but im too dumb to understand what any of thats saying.

Any other guesses?

Anyone please help! Should I just format my Harddisk and pray for the best? Sign...

Your result looks as if the hardware is failing. Diagnosis is done by swapping parts until the fault is found. So try the basics first: swap the PSU and if you have access to another machine, try the gear there. It's worth mentioning too that there have been incidents of crosstalk between the pci-e signals wires of a PE4L. That usually the result of the cable being bent around say 90degrees where it's been damaged, or the ends pulled.

Hummm, can be hardware problem. I'm using a 12v 5A AC adapter, can be the problem?

I noticed that the video properties of eGPU and iGPU are the same, is it normal?

I'm attaching two photos to better explain.

About the cables, I think they are ok.

post-13781-14494995480948_thumb.jpg

post-13781-14494995480496_thumb.jpg

Hummm, can be hardware problem. I'm using a 12v 5A AC adapter, can be the problem?

I noticed that the video properties of eGPU and iGPU are the same, is it normal?

I'm attaching two photos to better explain.

About the cables, I think they are ok.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7802[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7803[/ATTACH]

AC adapters have been problematic before which can be quickly diagnosed by borrowing an ATX PSU off someone and testing. They also provide the full 3.3V@3A per pci-e spec, something the AC adapter solution doesn't do.

Also suggest reinstall the latest Intel 4500MHD driver along with AMD Catalyst drivers.

Hi guys,

I ordered a PE4L from harmonic inversion a few days ago and payment has since cleared, though still no updates of when they will ship it out (status is still "pending"). Anyone have experience with harmonic inversions shipping times?

Well I'm in the same situation, mine says:

Order Date: Monday, 20 May 2013 14:01

Order Status: Pending

I'm pretty disappointed since I needed the adapter for work :(

EDIT: I also emailed them twice two weeks ago, no answer.

The PE4L 1.5 can only run reliably at Gen1 speed. So first point if the E5430 expresscard slot is running at the default Gen2 speed then he'll see symptoms as you describe. Check the bios for a setting. If one doesn't exist then use the Setup 1.x software to do this.

Second point is he'll need to hotplug the GT470 after boot so the iGPU becomes the primary and the eGPU the secondary. That is a pre-requisite of the NVidia driver to engage the Optimus features of x1 pci-e compression and internal LCD mode.

Problem with that is there is now a greater need for pci-e space and if your system is anything like a Dell E6230 which I attached a GTX660 here then it too may boot with TOLUD=3.5GB. Thankfully the bios did change that to be 3.0GB upon booting with the eGPU detected. If yours remains stuck at 3.5GB then you will need to do the DSDT override to provide sufficient pci-e space to host the GTX470.

Setting the EC to gen1 solved everything. It goes well inside out handsomely. Much thanks for your advise!

Well I'm in the same situation, mine says:

Order Date: Monday, 20 May 2013 14:01

Order Status: Pending

I'm pretty disappointed since I needed the adapter for work :(

EDIT: I also emailed them twice two weeks ago, no answer.

There's some comms issue for sure. I'm not getting anything back about Setup 1.x distribution. If anybody else is reading this and are in the US, can they investigate what's happening by calling them up?

Harmonic Inversion Technology

Address:

8918 W. 21st N.

Suite 200, #216

Wichita

KS

67205-1880

Telephone: (316) 858-0047

Mobile Phone Number: (316) 858-0052

Setting the EC to gen1 solved everything. It goes well inside out handsomely. Much thanks for your advise!

Good stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's some comms issue for sure. I'm not getting anything back about Setup 1.x distribution. If anybody else is reading this and are in the US, can they investigate what's happening by calling them up?

Good stuff.

Has anyone been able to contact harmonic inversion lately? No response from email or phone to me.

If a company which is selling products isn't responding, I presume that they are or criminal or without any form of decency..

Or they actually don't read their mail, which is amateurish.

On topic, Can someone please tell me how I can switch on my igpu and turn off my dgpu.. I have to switch off the dgpu every single time in windows or else my external screen won't get a signal.

I can turn off the dgpu in setup 1.x but without being able to turn on igpu I won't do that, because I need to be able to see and configure setup 1.x..

The igpu won't turn on because switching this on is not allowed by my bios. but if I turn off my dgpu the laptop boots with igpu ON but setup 1.x says igpu: OFF

I only want my screen to pop up when booting after configuring setup 1.x..

What laptop do you have? As far as I know, you cannot turn off the iGPU; it's always on. And if you can, why not just disable the dGPU directly from BIOS?

When booting up after running Setup 1.x, my internal display shows the Windows boot sequence, then immediately switches over to the eGPU when I reach the login screen.

If you want your eGPU to work immediately after completing the Setup 1.x sequence, I don't think this is possible. This is the purpose of chainloading within Setup 1.x: it tells Windows (or your OS) to use the eGPU. But this chainloading actually happens when Windows is booting up, it doesn't happen before than.

If a company which is selling products isn't responding, I presume that they are or criminal or without any form of decency..

Or they actually don't read their mail, which is amateurish.

I stand by them to say that they are neither of those, but as of late (since March) they haven't responded to any of my forms of communication to them. I am not sure what's going on with them, so I just gave up.

It could just be that there's something going on within the company that they are focusing on first.

I stand by them to say that they are neither of those, but as of late (since March) they haven't responded to any of my forms of communication to them. I am not sure what's going on with them, so I just gave up.

It could just be that there's something going on within the company that they are focusing on first.

Yeah I don't think they are out to scam people, but I will cancel my order soon and order elsewhere as there seems to be other things they are focused on.

Yeah I don't think they are out to scam people, but I will cancel my order soon and order elsewhere as there seems to be other things they are focused on.

I really don't want to be rude, but how are you going to cancel your order when they doesn't answer?

I'm in the same situation as you :(

Maybe we should gather up and confront them in some way?

Guys,

Can anyone help me on my issue? I am really frustrated and don't know what I am doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SYSTEM: HP Probook 4730s, 8gb ram, Win7 Ultimate (Korean ver.)

EGPU: PE4L 2.1b + EVGA GTX 660 ti

I've had this setup work for a while. Unfortunately, after my card blew up due to a electric mess in my house, EVGA replaced my card.

The first time I replaced the card, I didn't have any problems. However, once I shut down the computer and turned it on the next day, the dreaded error 43 in the device manager persisted.

Due to the frustration I figured I do a full reinstallation of windows 7. I also reinstalled my intel graphics driver from the intel website.

Unfortunately, the error 43 persists.

Basically, my problem is that once I plug in the express card, the screen flickers, then it just comes back onto the laptop LCD and the display does not go to the monitor.

I'm basically out of options as far as the solutions I am aware of are concerned. I've already looked at the troubleshooting guide but I have no idea what any of that's saying. Do I need setup 1.x? I don't even know what that is other than the fact that it's a dos program?

Either way, thanks guys. perhaps I'm too noob to be even messing with the EGPU scene.

Thanks

I really don't want to be rude, but how are you going to cancel your order when they doesn't answer?

I'm in the same situation as you :(

Maybe we should gather up and confront them in some way?

Moved to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3791-hit-abandoning-egpu-commitments-customers-thread.html#post53541

Guys,

Can anyone help me on my issue? I am really frustrated and don't know what I am doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have HP 4530s it's basically the same except screen size.

Express card slot is very fiddly of probook series, you have to insert it very swiftly or sometimes it can't be recognized.

So if you have dedicated graphics hd radeon you have to disable it in bios than halt windows with pressing F8 and than plug pe4l and resume win.

If you have only intel than only halt win with F8, plug pe4l than resume win it should work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

I have a huge problem with my PE4L v2.1b with 100cm EC-cable which I received yesterday. I tried to establish an stable connection to my Lenovo T530 (3630QM, 8GB RAM, Intel HD4000 + 5400M Quadro, Bios 2.53) with an MSI GTX460 Hawk and a Silverstone SFX 450W PSU. I also have of course Setup 1.x with the Update for Intel 7 chipsets. Before the PE4L v2.1b, I used an PE4H v2.4a with my old Lenovo T500 and built an own case:

post-13912-14494995482787_thumb.jpg

Since two months I have my new T530 so I would like to get PCIe 2.0.

Here I will describe what I am doing to run it:

I attached the PE4L v2.1b correctly to my system: 12V-floppy cable to the PE4L, PSU with 2x 6pin PCIe to the GPU... if the EC is attached to the T530, the light D1 is green and D3 organge. SW1 is on 1-2 and SW on 2-3.

In Setup 1.x I have to deactivate the dGPU (5400M Quadro) -> Compaction: 32bit Methode, Compaction of iGPU + eGPU -> Hot reset of the Nvidia (GTX460) -> G2 link speed to the Nvidia -> chainload Windows 7 x64

After booting into Win7 the Nvidia is detected as Standard-VGA and I installed the latest nvidia driver (320.18). Reboot, Optimus switched to the Nvidia and the eGPU was detected correctly. Also GPU-Z showed: PCIe x1 2.0.

Now the main problem:

When I started 3dmark06, heaven or vantage, the system started to lag a litte bit. In the first seconds of benchmarking everythings looks perfekt. The GTX460 raised up and all six red LEDs on the backplane are on, which shows the max. power consumption. In IDLE there are 2 red LEDs and normal LOAD there are 4 red LEDs active. After different long times in benchmark, the Nvidia driver crashed with the failure message:

post-13912-14494995482927_thumb.jpg

IDirect3DDevice9::Present failed: Device lost (D3DERR_DEVICELOST)

I don't know whats the problem. Nando already advised me to set EC from Automatic to Gen1. That failed also. One time I the benchmark runs through the first scene in the hangar and after that in the wood scene, it crashed again. Sometimes it happends directly after starting the benchmark. ^^

At the moment I have the problem that the adapter won't be recognized anymore. ^^ I some cased it will be detected as GTX460 but then the nvidia driver didn't load. I rebuilt my eGPU with the PE4H v2.4a and ran several benchmarks... also on max power consumption with no problems at all. It seems that the PE4L v2.1b can't hold the connection.

Do you have any idea, what I should try further?

Regards

Eisbrecher99

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.