eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Looked at their site again hoping for an update.

An updated PM3N and the new PE4H would work great together. Although, it still reads on the top that the PM3N is a Gen 1 product, but then below if I choose the Gen 2 PE4H-EC060a, it give me the option to order the PM3N version 1.2.

This says the PM3N is good when hooked to a 2.0 device..

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4L.html

This contradicts..

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4H.html

Weird

Other than the PE4H being a larger, sturdier base board with a detachable cable, is there any other benefit over the PE4L? I'm just asking out of curiosity more than anything else.

For your purposes, the PE4L-EC060A 2.1 that HIT will provide will gain you pci-e 2.0 performance, doubling what your previous PE4H 2.4 provided.

Looked at their site again hoping for an update.

An updated PM3N and the new PE4H would work great together. Although, it still reads on the top that the PM3N is a Gen 1 product, but then below if I choose the Gen 2 PE4H-EC060a, it give me the option to order the PM3N version 1.2.

This says the PM3N is good when hooked to a 2.0 device..

PE4L ( PCIe passive adapter ver1.5 )

This contradicts..

PE4H (PCIe passive adapter ver2.4)

Weird

According to BPlus' website PE4L-L060A-PM3N is a Gen2 capable product with the mHDMI socket on the PM3N end. The cable is soldered on the PE4L end. That's the configuration that gives the most convenient implementation on a Sony SVZ as you can leave the PM3N in the system and just plug in the mHDMI cable as you need it. This also eliminates wear on the SVZ's mPCIe socket.

@Tech Inferno Fan: What do you think how did BPlus achieved Gen2 with PCIe 2.0 support for PE4H? Did they change only the cable or also renewed the EC2C? The "old" mHDMI-cable was of the 1.3c mHDMI-standard... the new EC060a seems to have a 1.4b mHDMi-cable.

They told me, that they had tested it with followed system: (cause their shop-website has some contradictory statements and graphics)

We have updated information about PE4H v2.4 + EC060A.

We verified PCIe Gen2/5Gpbs with these equipment;

ExpressCard slot: Lenovo X220

Graphic Card: MSI R7750

Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm still working with HIT on my PE4H package exchange, and I must say that they're doing an absolutely bang up job with it. I'm really very impressed by their effort. Considering that it was my own mistake for ordering the PE4H kit instead of the PE4L from the get go, HIT has been really accommodating to me. The included Setup 1.x software hasn't gone amiss either.

My sales rep has mentioned that they now recognise that the PE4H board is PCI-e 2.0 compatible, and that this particular part does not require replacement. So rather than exchanging my entire PE4H+PM3N package for a PE4L+PM060a which has the disadvantage of being one large component, my sales rep is attempting to work with their engineers and inventory guys to see about only exchanging my current PM3N + mini-HDMI cable for the "newer" PM3N+cable.

My best guess is that he is implying the very same thing that BPlus has mentioned, that the PE4H + L060a + PM3N is the next best thing available given my situation.

In the meantime, he has said that this particular exchange may take a little while, and that I should go ahead and start using my current components until all these details get straightened out. I'll use this opportunity to setup my laptop then. Hopefully things will go swimmingly here

Question for people who have a sandy bridge i5-2520m dual core laptop(8gb ram) with x1.2opt setup, will it run battlefield 3 on maximum settings on internal screen? (with a card like gtx460/560ti)?

With a 560 on my external screen, I'm able to run at 1080p low settings mostly staying around 50-60 with a few drops to 40. On my internal given the resolutions 1280*800, it stays at a much more constant 50+

Keep in mind that Battlefield 3 multiplayer (which is what I'm guessing you'd be playing) is a very CPU intensive game, so a weak dual core i5 doesn't really meet up to it's standards.

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting my Setup 1.x startup.bat to run.

I ran it in Setup 1.x to check that it is OK, and it didn't give me any problems. Here is what I have in it:

call speedup lbacache (1)
call iport g1 1
call iport dGPU off
call vidwait 60 10de:11c6
call vidinit -d 10de:11c6
call pci (2)
call grub4dos win7

I have tried removing (1) and (2) individually, and together as nando recommended to another user here before. It did not make any difference.

Here is my pci.bat

REM r:/core/compact.exe pciend 310000000 useonly 8086:0126 import devcon.txt makebatch R:\config\pci.bat
REM created Wed Jan 16 23:28:51 2013
echo Performing PCI write (compact@Wed Jan 16 23:28:51 2013)

@echo -s 1:0.0 COMMAND=0 BASE_ADDRESS_1=c BASE_ADDRESS_2=3 COMMAND=0 BASE_ADDRESS_3=fe00000c BASE_ADDRESS_4=2 > setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:2.0 COMMAND=5 BASE_ADDRESS_2=e000000c BASE_ADDRESS_3=2 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 1:0.0 COMMAND=0 BASE_ADDRESS_0=fd000000 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 1:0.1 COMMAND=0 BASE_ADDRESS_0=febfc000 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:2.0 COMMAND=5 BASE_ADDRESS_0=fcc00004 BASE_ADDRESS_1=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1c.0 MEMORY_BASE=fd00 MEMORY_LIMIT=feb0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=fe01 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=2 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=ff1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=3 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1c.1 MEMORY_BASE=f1b0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f1b0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=fff1 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1c.3 MEMORY_BASE=f1a0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f1a0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=fff1 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1c.4 MEMORY_BASE=f190 MEMORY_LIMIT=f190 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=fff1 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1c.5 MEMORY_BASE=fff0 MEMORY_LIMIT=0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=f181 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=f181 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1.0 MEMORY_BASE=f190 MEMORY_LIMIT=feb0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=f181 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=ff1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=3 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 1:0.0 COMMAND=0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:2.0 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 1:0.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 1:0.1 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

setpci @setpci.arg
set pci_written=yes

My Device Manager sees the GTX 650 Ti, and displays an error 12.

The steps I took to get here:

1. Boot into Windows 7 with eGPU plugged in

2. Let the standard Windows 7 VGA driver install

3. Restart Windows

4. Uninstalled notebook Nvidia drivers

5. Restart Windows

6. Install the newest 310.x Nvidia drivers

7. Restarted Windows

8. Device Manager Error code 12 for the GTX 650 Ti

9. Boot into Setup 1.x

10. Video cards > Initialize > eGPU

11. Video Cards > Hybrid GFX > dGPU off

12. PCIe Ports > Link Speed > G1 > port 1 (eGPU)

13. PCI compaction > method 36-bit > iGPU (none when asked for 32-bit)

14. Set the Chainloader to win7

15. Chainload win7.

Even after that last step, Windows 7 boots up but the eGPU is not displaying anything on my external monitor. So I reboot and tried those steps again, same result. Finally, I boot up Setup 1.x and selected the "Automatically run startup.bat" option. I watched the screen run through the script very quickly, and then boot up WIndows 7... same result as is now: I can see my GTX 650 Ti in device manager, but it's giving me an error 12. I shouldn't have to do a DSDT override because my TOLUD is 2.99GB (3GB), meaning I have enough space for the eGPU.

Am I missing something? I've been at this for hours, and I know that I must be doing something wrong... but it's escaping me and I'll bet it's the littlest thing too!

I was using 306.xx driver with my eGPU setup (Dell e5520 - PE4H 2.4 - gtx580) and I was able to enable optimus by simply press F8 when win7 loading and plug in eGPU then continue booting.

lately I got another laptop (Dell e4300) so I tried the same eGPU hardware on it but withe the latest (310.xx) driver. I cannot enable optimus with all 3 options: a) boot laptop with eGPU connected. B) plug in eGPU after bios check but before win7 loads. c) plug in eGPU after win7 loaded. all three options work in that I can use a monitor connected on eGPU to utilize nvidia card but internal screen can only use integrated gpu.

then I change to the older 306.xx driver, and now I get optimus (internal screen can utilize nvidia gpu and can choose which gpu in nvidia driver panel).

has anyone tried the latest driver and noticed the same issue?

Hello everyone. I have a Compaq Presario CQ62 219WM laptop with an ugraded cpu (T9300) and ram (from 2 to 3) and I have an eGPU setup running on my wifi port using 1.1x.

I am using an Nvidia EVGA GTX 650 Ti Graphics card. I have everything hooked up, all power all cables and have tried using both DVI-I video cables to my monitor and VGA (a DVI-D to VGA adapter) and The graphics card has been detected and installed on my pc. The only problem is that My graphics card will not put out any graphics on my desktop monitor.It is a blank screen. My laptop is still producing graphics on it's screen as well. My vga and DVI-I cables are both fine and I have tested them on other computers so they can't be the problem. Could someone please tell me what some possible causes are? Could it be a problem with my setup1.x configuration? I disale dGPU then Reasign Busses (to make wifi work, even through when I startup setup 1.x my computer detects it, but not if I go strait to windows) and perfom compaction on my iGPU and eGPU then chainload into windows 7.

- - - Updated - - -

I figured it out. apparently my monitor wasn't working with my eGPU so i swapped out the monitor and it worked :)

Hello everyone. I have a Compaq Presario CQ62 219WM laptop with an ugraded cpu (T9300) and ram (from 2 to 3) and I have an eGPU setup running on my wifi port using 1.1x.

I am using an Nvidia EVGA GTX 650 Ti Graphics card. I have everything hooked up, all power all cables and have tried using both DVI-I video cables to my monitor and VGA (a DVI-D to VGA adapter) and The graphics card has been detected and installed on my pc. The only problem is that My graphics card will not put out any graphics on my desktop monitor.It is a blank screen. My laptop is still producing graphics on it's screen as well. My vga and DVI-I cables are both fine and I have tested them on other computers so they can't be the problem. Could someone please tell me what some possible causes are? Could it be a problem with my setup1.x configuration? I disale dGPU then Reasign Busses (to make wifi work, even through when I startup setup 1.x my computer detects it, but not if I go strait to windows) and perfom compaction on my iGPU and eGPU then chainload into windows 7.

- - - Updated - - -

Was the image displayed before the nVidia driver got installed? If yes the problem is driver-related. If no, there is some kind of issue with your setup. In device manager is the card correctly detected (no error codes)?

Hi, please could someone help with my eGPU? I've got an x220t i7 2620m 8gb RAM which was previously working fine with my GTX 460 is not detecting my eGPU at all (the fan won't slow down) with SW1 set to x1 link. If I force detection by setting SW1 to x2-x16 then the fan slows and it's detected in device manager, but I get error 12 in Windows 7 (BIOS) and 'no drivers are installed for this device' in Win 8 (UEFI). I've run into this problem since I installed Win 8 for the first time which was on a new SSD, but even if I put in my old HDD with the previously working Win 7 installation it get the error 12. I've not got any other RAM to drop to <4gb, but I've downgraded the bios to 1.24 which was previously working and reflashed the latest which I believe should have dynamic TOLUD, neither of which has made any difference. Has anyone got any suggestions or had similar issues?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, you were able to install a display driver for the 650, and the device manager lists no error codes for the 650? Also, your laptop does have the optional HD 5430, correct?

Your internal screen is still being driven by the intel 4500, which is what you want. Verify that the ATI card is disabled by checking the device manager for it. It should not be listed.

If the driver did install and there are no error codes for the 650 in the device manager, you did enable the second display in the screen resolution menu right? Some people in the past have actually forgotten to do that.

I was using 306.xx driver with my eGPU setup (Dell e5520 - PE4H 2.4 - gtx580) and I was able to enable optimus by simply press F8 when win7 loading and plug in eGPU then continue booting.

lately I got another laptop (Dell e4300) so I tried the same eGPU hardware on it but withe the latest (310.xx) driver. I cannot enable optimus with all 3 options: a) boot laptop with eGPU connected. B) plug in eGPU after bios check but before win7 loads. c) plug in eGPU after win7 loaded. all three options work in that I can use a monitor connected on eGPU to utilize nvidia card but internal screen can only use integrated gpu.

then I change to the older 306.xx driver, and now I get optimus (internal screen can utilize nvidia gpu and can choose which gpu in nvidia driver panel).

has anyone tried the latest driver and noticed the same issue?

I had no problems with the 310.70 or 310.90 drivers. Both internal and external modes worked fine. Well, no new problems. It seems that the resistor I knocked off the card a month ago actually did matter...

One thing I found is that sometimes the "preferred rendering" option in the driver is absent after some driver installations. I think this only ever happens if you don't do "clean install". I did clean install when installing both 310 drivers.

No one has any advice on getting rid of an Error code 12?

My understanding of the Error 12 is that it is initially related to your TOLUD value; mine is 3GB so I thought I wouldn't need to perform a DSDT override. As well, running a Setup 1.x 36-bit compaction against my eGPU (and selecting iGPU for 32-bit) did not resolve my Error 12.

I tried to follow the DIY eGPU Troubleshooting steps, particularly Error 12 #2, but I was having trouble figuring out exactly how and what values to use. My pci.bat looks like this

REM r:/core/compact.exe pciend 310000000 useonly 8086:0126 import devcon.txt makebatch R:\config\pci.bat

@echo -s 1:0.0 COMMAND=0 BASE_ADDRESS_1=c BASE_ADDRESS_2=3 COMMAND=0 BASE_ADDRESS_3=fe00000c BASE_ADDRESS_4=2 > setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1c.0 MEMORY_BASE=fd00 MEMORY_LIMIT=feb0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=fe01 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=2 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=ff1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=3 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1c.1 MEMORY_BASE=f1b0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f1b0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=fff1 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1c.3 MEMORY_BASE=f1a0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f1a0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=fff1 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1c.4 MEMORY_BASE=f190 MEMORY_LIMIT=f190 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=fff1 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1c.5 MEMORY_BASE=fff0 MEMORY_LIMIT=0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=f181 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=f181 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 0:1.0 MEMORY_BASE=f190 MEMORY_LIMIT=feb0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=f181 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=ff1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=3 >> setpci.arg

setpci @setpci.arg
set pci_written=yes

My last two echo lines contain nothing like what nando's troubleshooting demo provides, hence why I'm stuck.

Regarding the different ways of compaction, I've tried them all:

• 32-bit, against iGPU, eGPU, iGPU+eGPU (all 3 will fail, giving me the "set another method and try again" message).
  • 32-bitA, against iGPU, eGPU, iGPU + eGPU (all 3 will also fail, same error as above)
  • 36-bit, against iGPU (then 32-bit against None, iGPU, eGPU, iGPU+eGPU), eGPU (tried same 32-bit settings), and finally iGPU+eGPU (tried same 32-bit settings).

I decided to stick with the 36-bit iGPU+eGPU and the 32-bit "None". None of the 32-bit methods worked, but all 36-bit selections result in Device Manager giving me the Error 12. Am I making the wrong choices for compaction?

My specs are:

i7-2760QM

8GB RAM

dGPU: Nvidia GT 540M

eGPU: GTX 650 Ti

PSU: 625W, 12V1 and 12V2 @24A, 5V @22A

I've confirmed that the GPU is not faulty, but using it in another desktop system.

I'd really appreciate if someone could please help me out here.

No one has any advice on getting rid of an Error code 12?

My understanding of the Error 12 is that it is initially related to your TOLUD value; mine is 3GB so I thought I wouldn't need to perform a DSDT override. As well, running a Setup 1.x 36-bit compaction against my eGPU (and selecting iGPU for 32-bit) did not resolve my Error 12.

I tried to follow the DIY eGPU Troubleshooting steps, particularly Error 12 #2, but I was having trouble figuring out exactly how and what values to use. My pci.bat looks like this

setpci @setpci.arg
set pci_written=yes

My last two echo lines contain nothing like what nando's troubleshooting demo provides, hence why I'm stuck.

Regarding the different ways of compaction, I've tried them all:

• 32-bit, against iGPU, eGPU, iGPU+eGPU (all 3 will fail, giving me the "set another method and try again" message).
  • 32-bitA, against iGPU, eGPU, iGPU + eGPU (all 3 will also fail, same error as above)
  • 36-bit, against iGPU (then 32-bit against None, iGPU, eGPU, iGPU+eGPU), eGPU (tried same 32-bit settings), and finally iGPU+eGPU (tried same 32-bit settings).

I decided to stick with the 36-bit iGPU+eGPU and the 32-bit "None". None of the 32-bit methods worked, but all 36-bit selections result in Device Manager giving me the Error 12. Am I making the wrong choices for compaction?

My specs are:

i7-2760QM

8GB RAM

dGPU: Nvidia GT 540M

eGPU: GTX 650 Ti

PSU: 650W, 12V1 and 12V2 @24A, 5V @22A

I've confirmed that the GPU is not faulty, but using it in another desktop system.

I'd really appreciate if someone could please help me out here.

I might be reading it wrong but it looks like the pci.bat thinks your TOLUD is 3.5GB (0xe000000c), not 3GB.(0xc0000000). I'm thinking that the TOLUD really isn't 3.5GB, since if it was it would be very difficult for your system to run the iGPU and dGPU with other devices as well (only 32MB would be left). I'm not sure if pci.bat gets the TOLUD from devcon.txt or if it looks it up. I suggest rebuilding the devcon.txt file, then rebuilding setpci.bat.

DSDT override is unnecessary though since unless you're using thunderbolt, you need to disable the dGPU anyway for optimus compression to work. This will make room for the 650. You'll then need to allocate the 650 since the BIOS failed to on boot.

You did try cold booting with the eGPU on right? BIOS's that aren't poorly written (which is the minority) will adjust the TOLUD to allocate everything it sees on startup. I don't know what your laptop is, so I don't know if yours does this or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

I might be reading it wrong but it looks like the pci.bat thinks your TOLUD is 3.5GB (0xe000000c), not 3GB.(0xc0000000). I'm thinking that the TOLUD really isn't 3.5GB, since if it was it would be very difficult for your system to run the iGPU and dGPU with other devices as well (only 32MB would be left). I'm not sure if pci.bat gets the TOLUD from devcon.txt or if it looks it up. I suggest rebuilding the devcon.txt file, then rebuilding setpci.bat.

DSDT override is unnecessary though since unless you're using thunderbolt, you need to disable the dGPU anyway for optimus compression to work. This will make room for the 650. You'll then need to allocate the 650 since the BIOS failed to on boot.

You did try cold booting with the eGPU on right? BIOS's that aren't poorly written (which is the minority) will adjust the TOLUD to allocate everything it sees on startup. I don't know what your laptop is, so I don't know if yours does this or not.

Hi Khenglish,

Thanks f or the help. I will try this out tonight when I'm home from work.

My question now is: how do I rebuild my devcon.txt file? Do I literally just delete its contents and then Setup 1.x will rebuild it the next time I run compaction? Or do I need to do something else?

My notebook is the Dell XPS 15 L502x, practically same one as wicked20 who has successfully pulled off eGPU with Opt1.1 (he has results in the table on first page). I've added my laptop and eGPU specs to my signature, which will hopefully be useful in the future.

It's good to know that I wasn't crazy in thinking that I did not have to perform a DSDT override. As I mentioned before, here is my startup.bat

call speedup lbacache
call iport g1 1
call iport dGPU off
call pci
call grub4dos win7

As I am using the PE4H+PM3N (soon to hopefully be PE4H+PM060a or something similar for Gen2 speeds, working out those details with HIT), I am indeed disabling my dGPU prior to running compaction.

I am only cold booting with the eGPU powered on. In my case, I power on the eGPU (via SWEX switch) a couple seconds before I power on my notebook. I've not had any problems with Windows not detecting my eGPU, just the Error 12. My BIOS allows me to change my TOLUD value as well, for example, I can lower it to 2.5GB if necessary. I don't know if that would help things or not.

Thanks again

Hi Khenglish,

My question now is: how do I rebuild my devcon.txt file? Do I literally just delete its contents and then Setup 1.x will rebuild it the next time I run compaction? Or do I need to do something else?

My notebook is the Dell XPS 15 L502x, practically same one as wicked20 who has successfully pulled off eGPU with Opt1.1 (he has results in the table on first page). I've added my laptop and eGPU specs to my signature, which will hopefully be useful in the future.

It's good to know that I wasn't crazy in thinking that I did not have to perform a DSDT override. As I mentioned before, here is my startup.bat

call speedup lbacache
call iport g1 1
call iport dGPU off
call pci
call grub4dos win7

As I am using the PE4H+PM3N (soon to hopefully be PE4H+PM060a or something similar for Gen2 speeds, working out those details with HIT), I am indeed disabling my dGPU prior to running compaction.

I am only cold booting with the eGPU powered on. In my case, I power on the eGPU (via SWEX switch) a couple seconds before I power on my notebook. I've not had any problems with Windows not detecting my eGPU, just the Error 12. My BIOS allows me to change my TOLUD value as well, for example, I can lower it to 2.5GB if necessary. I don't know if that would help things or not.

Thanks again

startup.bat looks good. Your pci.bat was created using 36-bit PCI compaction and did not include the eGPU. That is incorrect. Reason being it can only work if you have a 36-bit root bridge something most bioses don't enable. You'd need a DSDT override to do that. Nor is it necessary for you since you can disable the dGPU to free up 32-bit PCI space.

So boot in Setup (menu-based), ensure the eGPU is detected (F5), disabled the dGPU with Video cards->dGPU[off] , perform a 32-bit PCI compaction on the iGPU+eGPU and proceed to then manually add the I/O address per T10. Even after successful 32-bit compaction I still get a error 12 in Windows if you still get an error 12.

So boot in Setup (menu-based), ensure the eGPU is detected (F5), disabled the dGPU with Video cards->dGPU[off] , perform a 32-bit PCI compaction on the iGPU+eGPU and proceed to then manually add the I/O address per T10. Even after successful 32-bit compaction I still get a error 12 in Windows if you still get an error 12.

I have a problem with 32-bit compaction: it always tells me that

"No Solution found. Set another method then try another PCI compaction"

This happens when I try 32-bit against iGPU, eGPU, and iGPU+eGPU, as well as 32-bitA against the same 3 GPU options.

Is there any specific reason why I would be getting that "No solution found" error message when running 32-bit and 32-bitA compaction methods?

Thanks both!

Dear Nando4 et-al, first of all let me express my admiration, thanks and appreciation for all this terrific information on setting up a DIY eGPU, and the massive amount of work that's gone into it. I'm coming late to the DIY eGPU party but would like to announce my arrival and say I'm sure I couldn't have done it without you.

I've got my eGPU working first time with the PE4H and a PCIe 1.0 1x connection via the expresscard port of my Dell Studio 1747 (Win 7 64-bit, 4GB RAM). I had a some fun and games with the AMD drivers at first: having an AMD dGPU already in my system (venerable HD 4650) I went for an AMD eGPU in the form of a Sapphire HD 7750 thinking this would be more compatible than an NVidea... The initial process of putting the computer to sleep, powering up the card and plugging in the expresscard connector, then waking up worked like a dream! The default VGA drivers installed and the new hardware was listed in device manager.

However, then installing the AMD driver for the eGPU seemed to uninstall/stuff the driver for the dGPU leaving me only with the default VGA monitor driver and no way to connect the the external monitor. I'm using my Samsung PS51D550 TV as the external monitor but no other monitors appeared initially after installing the eGPU driver (from the CD-ROM that came with the Sapphire card).

I managed to roll back the driver for the dGPU and then on a reboot hey-presto! my desktop came back on the connected TV via the eGPU at 1080p resolution - success! No problems with memory allocation etc. My Dell has 4GB RAM and following the advice on the summary of the thread my TOLUD checked out OK which gave me the confidence to pull the trigger on the BPlus adapter and additional equipment.

Since the HD 7750 has a low power demand I'm just using a laptop power adapter (16V 72W) connected to the DC jack of the PE4H and this seems to be providing the required juice, though I haven't stressed the card much yet. With this being a low spec/power card I'm not sure benchmarks would be of much interest to the community. Not being a big gamer (at the moment at least!) my goal initially is to convert my laptop to an HTPC capable of playing 3D blu-rays, which the original onboard dGPU and HDMI 1.2 can't do. Unfortunately I can't test this yet as oddly Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 5.3 refuses to run at all when the HD 7750 is active - I'll have to get on to Arcsoft about this....

In addition, when I power up the eGPU and plug the HDMI lead into the TV a dreadfull high-pitched whistling commences - it seems to emanate from the ferrite cores on the power lead for the TV which seems totally weird to me. The whistling alters in pitch and intensity depending on what is going on on the display - I'd be grateful if any formum contributers have any ideas on this and/or the TMT 5 issue. Teething problems are to be expected no doubt and hopefully I'll overrcome them shortly.

However this doesn't detract from the fact that the eGPU is definately working. When connected I now have the option for 23Hz refresh rate (missing with the HD 4650) and conventional 2D blu-rays play very smoothly with no missed frames/stutters (with the 24P mode of the display engaged) which is a great improvement. And with headphones connected I can't hear that dratted whistle! So Kudos and many thanks to you Nando4!

Hi Khenglish,

call speedup lbacache
call iport g1 1
call iport dGPU off
call pci
call grub4dos win7

Thanks again

You can manually lower your TOLUD? That isn't needed, but it will make things simpler. Lower it by 256MB or more. That will allow the eGPU to be allocated on boot, then all you need the setup program for is to disable the 540m. Otherwise you'll need to run the reallocation script in addition.

Maybe nando changed things, but you used to need to build devcon.txt from windows using the command window. Not having a proper devcon file usually made compaction freeze the system.

Update: Yes you still need to run a command to build devcon.txt:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html

But your system isn't crashing, so it looks like you don't need to make a new one. If you really can select your TOLUD in BIOS, lower it and you can forget about compaction.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can manually lower your TOLUD? That isn't needed, but it will make things simpler. Lower it by 256MB or more. That will allow the eGPU to be allocated on boot, then all you need the setup program for is to disable the 540m. Otherwise you'll need to run the reallocation script in addition.

Maybe nando changed things, but you used to need to build devcon.txt from windows using the command window. Not having a proper devcon file usually made compaction freeze the system.

Update: Yes you still need to run a command to build devcon.txt:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html

But your system isn't crashing, so it looks like you don't need to make a new one. If you really can select your TOLUD in BIOS, lower it and you can forget about compaction.

So my BIOS made me lie. Turns out that "Max TOLUD" selector in my BIOS doesn't do anything.

I tried setting it to 2.5 GB, 2.75 GB, 3.5 GB, and Dynamic. None of these settings change my PCI Bus value in my Win7 Device Manager: it read BFA00000 regardless of what I set in the BIOS.

So my BIOS made me lie. Turns out that "Max TOLUD" selector in my BIOS doesn't do anything.

I tried setting it to 2.5 GB, 2.75 GB, 3.5 GB, and Dynamic. None of these settings change my PCI Bus value in my Win7 Device Manager: it read BFA00000 regardless of what I set in the BIOS.

What? A BIOS doesn't work right? I've never heard of such a thing! Wait I got that wrong, it's the other way around...

Well nando can help you best with getting the reallocation to work. Like I said before, to me it looks like it thinks your TOLUD is 3.5GB instead of 3GB.

If all else fails (which it shouldn't) you could always just pull the 540m. That'll make sure it doesn't take up resources :)

Poor BIOS writing rant continued:

It's possible to write a single BIOS that can run almost any 6 and 7 series platform (virtually identical chipsets, same voltage regulators, KBC's accept the same commands), but BIOS writers throw in tons of unnecessary proprietary code that does unnecessary hardware checks with a complete lack of failsafes. Ex. This one laptop I've been messing with will refuse to POST with 1866MHz memory. Could the BIOS run default clocks and timings if it doesn't like the SPD? Of course. Does it? Nope. Black screen. And that's the least of the BIOS's issues... with the biggest being that although overclocking and voltage increases are locked out for hardware "safety", there is a bug which allows you to disable the CPU fan, thermal throttling, and thermal shutdown... Also read yesterday how 680m 6 series clevo users system's will refuse to POST with certain video BIOS's. The system has optimus with an IGP, so there is no reason for the system to not boot with the 680m malfunctioning. Does it disable the 680m and boot? Nope, 680m must be pulled. I can go on and on and on and on... If I could learn a bit more machine code and get the memory libraries required to enable CPU features, maybe I'll write my own BIOS from scratch.

What? A BIOS doesn't work right? I've never heard of such a thing! Wait I got that wrong, it's the other way around...

Well nando can help you best with getting the reallocation to work. Like I said before, to me it looks like it thinks your TOLUD is 3.5GB instead of 3GB.

Strange, because Device Manager says otherwise (or so I am led to believe):

post-8815-14494994178769_thumb.png

If all else fails (which it shouldn't) you could always just pull the 540m. That'll make sure it doesn't take up resources :)

heh now there's some good advice. I guess I'll also have to invest in a pretty good hammer crowbar. Also, a new laptop :P

Poor BIOS writing rant continued:

It's possible to write a single BIOS that can run almost any 6 and 7 series platform (virtually identical chipsets, same voltage regulators, KBC's accept the same commands), but BIOS writers throw in tons of unnecessary proprietary code that does unnecessary hardware checks with a complete lack of failsafes. Ex. This one laptop I've been messing with will refuse to POST with 1866MHz memory. Could the BIOS run default clocks and timings if it doesn't like the SPD? Of course. Does it? Nope. Black screen. And that's the least of the BIOS's issues... with the biggest being that although overclocking and voltage increases are locked out for hardware "safety", there is a bug which allows you to disable the CPU fan, thermal throttling, and thermal shutdown... Also read yesterday how 680m 6 series clevo users system's will refuse to POST with certain video BIOS's. The system has optimus with an IGP, so there is no reason for the system to not boot with the 680m malfunctioning. Does it disable the 680m and boot? Nope, 680m must be pulled. I can go on and on and on and on... If I could learn a bit more machine code and get the memory libraries required to enable CPU features, maybe I'll write my own BIOS from scratch.

Yipes, point taken. I always thought that BIOS software was written with at least a minimum amount of confidence, since it deals directly at the hardware level, controlling such things as memory speeds, thermals, sensors, etc.

Strange, because Device Manager says otherwise (or so I am led to believe):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5797[/ATTACH]

heh now there's some good advice. I guess I'll also have to invest in a pretty good hammer crowbar. Also, a new laptop :P

Yipes, point taken. I always thought that BIOS software was written with at least a minimum amount of confidence, since it deals directly at the hardware level, controlling such things as memory speeds, thermals, sensors, etc.

Yeah TOLUD is 3GB. Like I said Nando wrote the pci scripts, so he's the one to talk to. Maybe your script starting at 3.5GB had something to do with selecting 36 bit compaction and is correct with 32 bit, IDK. Also I don't even know if what I read means it did start at 3.5GB, I just saw no lower value so I assumed it.

The 540m should be MXM so it actually is removable, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.