eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hey everyone,

I got my parts in yesterday and I've spent many hours tinkering with it. (HP Elitebook 8460p)

After doing some troubleshooting and patching (Nothing worked to get me a clean dsdt except for Aida 64 version: Engineer [free trial]) I successfully completed the dsdt override!

Sidenote: was too lazy to make a Linux usb drive, thanks nando for the guide

Now, I'm wondering if DIY Egpu setup 1.3 is the next step if i'm using:

-  a Series 6 chipset (QM67) - EC x1 2.0 (Pe4c v3.0 EC)

-  have the large memory space

-  > 4 gb ram;  (8gb ram)

-  AMD dGpu (no iGpu), an eGPU nvidia gtx 750ti card

-  most importantly: all the load options I tried are allocating small bus resources to the eGPU in the EC slot (Code: 12).

There's not a lot of information since I can't access the later pages of the thread due to some error.

It seemed like the right one due to the PCI compaction, changing PCI busses, and disabling the dGpu. I wanted to make sure before purchasing that this is the logical next step.

Dsdt override!

mt28p.jpg

Edited by purpletoast

7 minutes ago, purpletoast said:

Hey everyone,

I got my parts in yesterday and I've spent many hours tinkering with it. (HP Elitebook 8460p)

After doing some troubleshooting and patching (Nothing worked to get me a clean dsdt except for Aida 64 version: Engineer [free trial]) I successfully completed the dsdt override!

Sidenote: was too lazy to make a Linux usb drive, thanks nando for the guide

Now, I'm wondering if DIY Egpu setup 1.3 is the next step if i'm using:

-  a Series 6 chipset (QM67) - EC x1 2.0 (Pe4c v3.0 EC)

-  have the large memory space

-  > 4 gb ram;  (8gb ram)

-  AMD dGpu (no iGpu), an eGPU nvidia gtx 750ti card

-  most importantly: all the load options I tried are allocating small bus resources to the eGPU in the EC slot (Code: 12).

There's not a lot of information since I can't access the later pages of the thread due to some error.

It seemed like the right one due to the PCI compaction, changing PCI busses, and disabling the dGpu. I wanted to make sure before purchasing that this is the logical next step.

Dsdt override!

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12 already explains next steps to do if you still see an error 12 after performing the DSDT override. Quoted here in case you missed it:

9. The same fix was done on a Dell E4300 and Win7 did automatically allocate the eGPU into the 36-bit space. If you still see error 12 then there are two options to pursue:

• Re plug'n'play the devices. Go into Device Manager -> Video cards, delete the eGPU. Also go into Device Manager -> System devices and delete the PCI Express Root Port x entries.

Upon restarting the system, halt Win7 startup with F8, attach and power on your eGPU and then proceed to load Win7. Win7 should now be clever enough to re-allocate the eGPU into 36-bit space upon realizing there is insufficient 32-bit space to host it.

Can go one step further and delete your eGPU NVidia/ATiAMD driver, restart the system and reload it. That may help as well.

• Hard allocate the eGPU into 36-bit PCI space before booting Win7 using Setup 1.30. Select PCI compaction->Endpoint=56.25GB (36-bit) and then select Run compact. When prompted for the scope select eGPU.

The result will be similar to that shown in the spoiler in step 8 above, but with the eGPU rather then the Intel HD iGPU being in 36-bit PCI space. Can then proceed to automate this by editting your %DRV%:\config\startup.bat (or V:\config\startup.bat in windows) so can just select the Automated startup via startup.bat Setup 1.30 bootitem and have it do everything for you:

call speedup lbacache
    call vidwait 300
    call vidinit -d %eGPU%
    call pci
    call chainload mbr

5 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12 already explains next steps to do if you still see an error 12 after performing the DSDT override. Quoted here in case you missed it:

Ah, seems like I missed part 9.b . I'll retry step 9.a and update later tonight. Also, would uploading the fixed dsdt with the relevant laptop model number/bios version be helpful, or will it just cause people more problems.

1 minute ago, purpletoast said:

Ah, seems like I missed part 9.b . I'll retry step 9.a and update later tonight. Also, would uploading the fixed dsdt with the relevant laptop model number/bios version be helpful, or will it just cause people more problems.

Would be more helpful to create a complete 8460P implementation guide where the DSDT part has a link to the fixed DSDT. Then 8460P users have a complete reference of what they can get going after putting in the required steps.

1 minute ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Would be more helpful to create a complete 8460P implementation guide where the DSDT part has a link to the fixed DSDT. Then 8460P users have a complete reference of what they can get going after putting in the required steps.

Sounds good! When I get it working, I'll make a guide on what I did/Steps I followed.

• Thumbs Up 1

My system is a toshiba satellite A665 2.53 GHz i5 M460 8GB RAM, internal video GTS 350M
EXP V8.0 GDC adapter exprescard
EVGA GTX 950 graphics card

After installation Device Manager get error code 12

What do you recommend me?

Thank you very much in advance

sorry if I insist but about the compatibility and plug and play  egpu install what  is better: a PC with only intel iGPU or iGPU + dgpu?

thanks.

If are confident of doing a DSDT override then the T530 iGPU model would be the preferred option.  Usually less costly than the dGPU model. arteart successfully applied a DSDT override on a iGPU-only T430 at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/ which then gives a plug'n'play solution. 

The t530 is arrived, I have reinstalled windows 7 with egpu connected, no error, everything appear to be fine, the igpu and egpu are installed without problem.. But when I play with games they use only the igpu, I've tried selecting the gtx960 inside nvidia panel as preferred for gaming but no changes.

Any advice? I must install egpu setup for make it work? Thanks.

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

Edit: solved ! After connected an external monitor the egpu works also into internal over games, t530 works without any mods.

I've been successful in running a GTX 970 Zotac on my Late 2013 iMac for the last few months, namely in Windows 10.  On some games though, I receive some horrendous stutter and I cannot for the life of me narrow down where it's coming from.  Also, some games seem to perform better on my 780m.  I've tried adjusting the settings I can think of, but none of them seem to help.  Additionally, I have a Thunderbolt SSD attached to the 2nd port of the Thunder2... does that affect performance even if the drive itself?  Either way, I just want to get rid of the stutter.

My setup:

Akitio Thunder2 => Powered PCIe Riser => Right angle adapter => 970GTX (in a Cooler Master 130).  PSU: OCZ 650W

Edited by pants_problems

Hi guys,

I got problem with my eGPU and i'm very disappointed. !! seriously need help !!

First time i tried to run eGPU i was getting blank screen, then i solve it buy disabling  Network PXE Boot, and setting  BIOS Graphic Device to UMA.

Then i started getting problem that my laptop is not recognizing the eGPU and it shows it in Device Manager as "Microsoft  Basic Display adapter " ( Eror Code 31 ).

I have tried to unplug my eGPU but the screen start stuttering then shut down. 

I really don't know what to do !!

i've been searching for solving this problem for months didn't find answer.

PLEASE HELP

My Setup specs :

eGPU : GTX 750ti

iGPU : Intel HD Graphics 4000

dGPU : GT 710M

Laptop : Lenovo G580 

Adapter : EXP GDC v8.0 mPCI version 

PSU : Gigabyte GreenMax 650W Plus

-

• Thumbs Up 1

Need help with x2 x4 linking for egpu

Can some one here point to some posts or thread related to detailed x2,x4 implementation of egpu?

It says in setup 1.x that flash descriptor is needed for x2,x4 linking..

Went through some posts and threads here with no luck..please help..anyone?

8 minutes ago, mix said:

Can some one here point to some posts or thread related to detailed x2,x4 implementation of egpu?

@timohour is the only one who's managed to do a x2 2.0 eGPU implementation on a 2nd gen i-core or newer notebook. Details of how the flash descriptor was unlocked and the BIOS straps for the PCIe port set to x2 are at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7574-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-and-system-mods/#comment-115469

4 hours ago, mix said:

Reading your other posts I saw that your laptopis the L502x, correct?

If I am not mistaken according to your laptop's schematics your laptop should probably be able to get an x2.2 connection combining port 1 (WWAN) and port 2 (WLAN).

Can you try to locate your SDATA-OUT (or SDOUT) signal in order to unlock flash descriptor?

EDIT: It is on page 38 pin 5 on your ALC665 chip. I think that my guide takes it from here.

Do you have the available hardware to do the x2.2 connection? AFAIK the PE4C v3.0 doesn't offer an second connection as the v2.1 did.

Edited by timohour

Hi there,

My EGPU parts arrived just yesterday and I'm having real trouble getting them to work.

My specs:

HP Elitebook 8460p

i5-2520m

Intel HD 3000

12Gb RAM

EGPU:

GTX 760

Dell DA-2 Adapter

PE4C V2.1 ExpressCard

I've tried having the EGPU connected before boot, after boot and during boot, switched the Expresscard between 1 and 2 in the BIOS and I keep on getting a Code 43 error. The latest drivers for the EGPU are installed. Is there something I'm missing?

Hi everyone, just a quick update on my situation.

I've tried setting a delay, which now allows my laptop to boot with the EGPU connected, however this still gives me an error 43. Reinstalling the drivers several times does not seem to work either. I've now even tried to use an older driver.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I should do next? I'm all out of options.

in 

it says WWAN mPCIe slots with only USB pins connected (pin 36+38) rather than PCIe pins (23, 25, 33, 35) cannot do a eGPU.

how can i find out if my slot is compatible or not?? find attached photos of my miniPCIe slot and wifi card:

56a3109d5cf64_20160117_104446(Large).thu56a3108d592a6_20160117_104154(Large).thu

My system:

HP Probook 4530s / i5-2450M / 8GB / HD7470M / Win10x64
eGPU: PE4C 2.1 / PSU Advance TX-750w / MSI GTX 660 TF3

I use eGPU with expresscard.

I've set EC Gen2 in BIOS. I've set Gen2 for NVIDIA in DIY 1.30 too and then I did a compaction iGPU + eGPU -> Test run.

Everything is OK, no ERROR. I can play PES2016 with my external screen.

But just in 10-15 mins later, my PC freezes, its screen goes into a black screen and never comes out of it (even after unplugging the express card).

I couldn't do anything and and hard reset only helps.

What's the problem here ? Can you help me ?

Edited by Rainy Day

On 1/19/2016 at 3:58 PM, timohour said:

Reading your other posts I saw that your laptopis the L502x, correct?

If I am not mistaken according to your laptop's schematics your laptop should probably be able to get an x2.2 connection combining port 1 (WWAN) and port 2 (WLAN).

Can you try to locate your SDATA-OUT (or SDOUT) signal in order to unlock flash descriptor?

EDIT: It is on page 38 pin 5 on your ALC665 chip. I think that my guide takes it from here.

Do you have the available hardware to do the x2.2 connection? AFAIK the PE4C v3.0 doesn't offer an second connection as the v2.1 did.

Wow..thanx,will take a look into it soon....will post details...actually i am taking a peek into the dgpu with its x16 connection to alter it to connect the egpu...doesn't sound practical when i think about it....anyways i will look into x2 link some time soon...yeah am using  pe4c 3.0 on an l502x.Would be great to hear from you again man.Thanx a lot for the guidance..:fat:

On 1/19/2016 at 11:57 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

@timohour is the only one who's managed to do a x2 2.0 eGPU implementation on a 2nd gen i-core or newer notebook. Details of how the flash descriptor was unlocked and the BIOS straps for the PCIe port set to x2 are at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7574-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-and-system-mods/#comment-115469

Thanks for the quick reply man.Will look into it...and update

Hello,

Here are my specs:

DELL M6400 (quadro fx3700m built in)

EGPU adapter: EXP GDC 8.0 via express card slot.

External card : GTX960

The EGPU card is found and drivers installed: SURlXEw.png

However, I'm still only seeing a picture on my laptop display and not the external monitor I have connected to the EGPU card. Also I'm unable to start NVIDIA control panel or any games without them crashing.

I tried running DDU to uninstall my quadro card drivers before installing these drivers but still no luck.

Should I have to disable the dGPU?

Here is gpuz screenshot: rp8lVLt.png

Thanks

On 1/25/2016 at 6:43 PM, Rainy Day said:

My system:

HP Probook 4530s / i5-2450M / 8GB / HD7470M / Win10x64
eGPU: PE4C 2.1 / PSU Advance TX-750w / MSI GTX 660 TF3

I use eGPU with expresscard.

I've set EC Gen2 in BIOS. I've set Gen2 for NVIDIA in DIY 1.30 too and then I did a compaction iGPU + eGPU -> Test run.

Everything is OK, no ERROR. I can play PES2016 with my external screen.

But just in 10-15 mins later, my PC freezes, its screen goes into a black screen and never comes out of it (even after unplugging the express card).

I couldn't do anything and and hard reset only helps.

What's the problem here ? Can you help me ?

And when I tried with my internal display. I got this after 5mins :(

Please help...

DSC_0124.thumb.JPG.8bbc278d73a91aebde21c

RE: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9194-14-hp-8460p-hd6470m-gtx750ti4gbps-ec2-pe4c-30-win7-purpletoast/

Hi, I have an HP 8470p, which has an Ivy Bridge i7-3610QM processor, but it has no dGPU inside and uses Intel HD 4000 for its iGPU.

I figured since your laptop is the most similar to mine, you can perhaps hopefully help me with my eGPU troubles! :(

From what I understand Setup 1.3 has very little success working in UEFI mode. Since I am using that currently, would that mean I would need to follow what nando's instructions in order to get it working under the legacy BIOS? (I'm asking this because I don't know if the older generation of the Elitebooks came with a legacy BIOS and I'm curious to know if you got it working under HP's UEFI or using a legacy BIOS)

I'd really appreciate if you may help me with this before I go ahead and purchase setup 1.3. I've got a GTX 660 and PE4C 2.1 for a setup ready, and I've already performed a DSDT override, now I just need this part of the puzzle to complete it :D

I have a partial success connecting t530 igpu only with PE4C and MSI GTX960 4GB: win7 64: internal monitor is working and external too, wei give the max to graphic ; the benchmark of fire strike rate the system around 6000 and over 3dmark 06 21800, the card must be connected at startup and the external monitor must be connected after boot otherwise the PC freeze on boot. No need of use egpu program , only driver install, very good performance over real games on fhd monitor into new games as gta5, fallout 4, crysis 3.. High or ultra details, work stably for hours, the laptop remains cool and the GPU too even overclocked. BIG Thanks to Nando4, and his big patience.. The problems remained is that I have to disconnect every time the external monitor on boot and to make it work over Ubuntu..

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.