eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi Nando

I have MacBook pro Late 2011 15inch

I have bought akitio thunder 2 pcie box, evga GeForce 750 ti ftw, pcie riser and evga 500 watts psu.

do you know how to make this set up to work?

and I have bought your software egpu set up

The only example we have of this system working is by @Vanne at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/6888-2011-15-macbook-pro-gtx480%4010gbps-tb1-sonnet-ee-win8-1-%5Bvanne%5D.html#post94470 . There it was a EFI installation of Win8.1 rather than a MBR installation.

Eg: http://blog.thedeltaflyer.com/2013/01/dual-booting-windows-8-and-mountain-lion-natively-using-efi/

Hi Tech Inferno Fan

I have a question about PCI-e x16 and PCI-e x1

My laptop Dell 3521. I plug the mPCI-e cable into wifi card slot and here my result

155rsq1.png

So, I want to ask you could I change the PCI-e x1 to x2 or x3 by using DIY eGPU 1.30 to increase Graphic Card performance?

Thank you

Hi Tech Inferno Fan

I have a question about PCI-e x16 and PCI-e x1

My laptop Dell 3521. I plug the mPCI-e cable into wifi card slot and here my result

155rsq1.png

So, I want to ask you could I change the PCI-e x1 to x2 or x3 by using DIY eGPU 1.30 to increase Graphic Card performance?

Thank you

You are running a Gen2 capable mPCIe slot, meaning it's a Series-6 or newer chipset. Intel has made it quite difficult to use x2 or x4 on those or newer systems. Not only must you have the correct port number, Gen2 capable hardware but need to do elaborate BIOS mods to get it all to work. See http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-2.html#post130202 . So for the most part I'll say it's not possible. Though we have one very technically minded individual (@timohour) who has managed to pull it off.

How would I know if I'm utilizing the 1.2Opt compression?

I feel like everything that comes up on the subject is 2 years old..

Check your NVidia control panel to see if can select your preferred graphics processor (Optimus) AND check GPU-Z when the GPU is under load to see if it's reporting a x1 2.0 link. Both shown below:

x12optcheck.jpg

Check your NVidia control panel to see if can select your preferred graphics processor (Optimus) AND check GPU-Z when the GPU is under load to see if it's reporting a x1 2.0 link.

Thank you

I had a feeling it was that simple but was confused when I saw an old benchmark of a card someone posted that was like "1 x2.0 VS 1.2Opt" and it made me think they were different things

Hi Nando4. I don't know if this is the correct place to put this, but I recently tried setting my egpu. I'm running a GTX480 with a Pe4l 2.1b setup for my Lenovo w540 which runs windows 10. I tried plugging the express card in, but it's not being registered under device manager. I tried the 3 steps that you suggested on your FAQ. Any ideas?

Hi All,

Im having a small problem with my build.

6450B i5 M520

EXP GDC BEAST

GTX 660 TI Jetstream

8GB RAM

FPS is much faster on my internal LCD than my external

any idea why?

post-40274-14495001115364_thumb.jpg

I actually didn't have to use Setup1.3, i just plug and play using express card slot

any help will be much appreciated

post-40274-14495001115062_thumb.jpg

Hi Nando4. I don't know if this is the correct place to put this, but I recently tried setting my egpu. I'm running a GTX480 with a Pe4l 2.1b setup for my Lenovo w540 which runs windows 10. I tried plugging the express card in, but it's not being registered under device manager. I tried the 3 steps that you suggested on your FAQ. Any ideas?

There is an existing W540 eGPU implementation using a PE4L 2.1b so the expresscard can be made to function. That was with a AMD and NVidia card: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/7388-15-lenovo-w540-r9_290x-gtx780ti%4010gbps-4gbps-sonnet-ee-se2-pe4l-2-1b-%5Bgothic860%5D.html#post101232

May I suggest you revert to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html for ideas on how to get the eGPU detected.

Hi All,

Im having a small problem with my build.

6450B i5 M520

EXP GDC BEAST

GTX 660 TI Jetstream

8GB RAM

FPS is much faster on my internal LCD than my external

any idea why?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16477[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16478[/ATTACH]

I actually didn't have to use Setup1.3, i just plug and play using express card slot

any help will be much appreciated

Strange indeed. I did have one user report a faulty HDMI cable that caused poor performance on his external LCD. Maybe try that? We'd otherwise expect the external LCD to outperform the internal LCD when ran at the same resolution and color depth since display traffic is going straight out. Internal LCD mode via Optimus has a bandwidth penalty for display traffic via the notebook hence why it's expected to have poorer performance.

Also, do you see a gaming benchmark like say Resident Evil 5 give faster performance on the internal LCD? If not, then might be something unique to MSI Kombuster.

Greetings,

I've been reading the FAQ and I still don't have one little detail clear. Owning a HP 8470p, do I get the PE4H with the EC connector or the PE4L?

I've also been reading on the benchmarks about the performance loss; I take for granted that for connections through EC there's a 15-20% loss, TB1 it's around 5% and TB2 it's pretty unnoticeable, did I understand that correctly?

My plan is to get a second hand 660Ti as a kind of placeholder for a year or two and then get a good AMD card like the 380X or whatever futuristic card but I've been thinking that the newer nVidia cards compress data and all that thus needing less bandwidth, isn't that a pro for EC eGPU users? AMD has gone raw power from my point of view, and that would be problematic for EC set ups needing more bandwidth, right?

BTW, I'm going to encase all components and sit them on the desk, so the internal screen being 100% usable isn't really a huge deal for me. If I can use it it's better (reason to go nVidia), but if AMD gives more power on external screens regardless of bandwidth then I'd rather have that. Also, If I'm completely wrong on the bandwidth topic, DO tell me the cruellest way so I don't forget lol

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but 528 pages is too mawch I'm sowwy

There is an existing W540 eGPU implementation using a PE4L 2.1b so the expresscard can be made to function. That was with a AMD and NVidia card: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/7388-15-lenovo-w540-r9_290x-gtx780ti%4010gbps-4gbps-sonnet-ee-se2-pe4l-2-1b-%5Bgothic860%5D.html#post101232

May I suggest you revert to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html for ideas on how to get the eGPU detected.

Strange indeed. I did have one user report a faulty HDMI cable that caused poor performance on his external LCD. Maybe try that? We'd otherwise expect the external LCD to outperform the internal LCD when ran at the same resolution and color depth since display traffic is going straight out. Internal LCD mode via Optimus has a bandwidth penalty for display traffic via the notebook hence why it's expected to have poorer performance.

Also, do you see a gaming benchmark like say Resident Evil 5 give faster performance on the internal LCD? If not, then might be something unique to MSI Kombuster.

@Tech Inferno Fan

I have also tried unigine benchmark tool, also giving the same results... but on my other laptop, 2540P, external monitor is faster than external.

Strange, now i'll try to install windows 10 with new nvidia driver, 358.91, will see the results are still the same.

thanks!

Hey guys, I finally got all the parts needed to get my setup running! Has anyone ever had issues with the expresscard? I tried it on both a 54mm and a 34mm slot and it doesn't seem to fit. Any thoughts?

Hey guys, I finally got all the parts needed to get my setup running! Has anyone ever had issues with the expresscard? I tried it on both a 54mm and a 34mm slot and it doesn't seem to fit. Any thoughts?

I've had some occurrences where the expresscard was a little too fat so wouldn't slide in cleanly. Just flattening it out with my fingers thinned it enough to allow easy insertion. If there is more to yours than that then consider contacting your eGPU adapter manufacturer for a replacement EC eGPU adapter or cable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've had some occurrences where the expresscard was a little too fat so wouldn't slide in cleanly. Just flattening it out with my fingers thinned it enough to allow easy insertion. If there is more to yours than that then consider contacting your eGPU adapter manufacturer for a replacement EC eGPU adapter or cable.

First off, thank you for the reply! I thought I was the only one who had this issue! Forgive my ignorance, but which part did you flatten? The whole expresscard or just the tip?

I had already filled out a service ticket to the manufacturer and ordered a 54mm bracket just to see if it gives leverage, but obviously I'm not interested waiting every 2-4 weeks per shipment for any replacements haha.

First off, thank you for the reply! I thought I was the only one who had this issue! Forgive my ignorance, but which part did you flatten? The whole expresscard or just the tip?

I had already filled out a service ticket to the manufacturer and ordered a 54mm bracket just to see if it gives leverage, but obviously I'm not interested waiting every 2-4 weeks per shipment for any replacements haha.

34mm EC card fits a 54mm slot. Yes, I just flattened it a bit as was catching from being a bit too thick. That was with an EXP GDC V6. Never had that problem with a BPlus adapter.

In anticipation for fallout 4, I wanted to try running a eGPU on my alienware m14x r1 to be able to run the game at higher fps. I purchased a msi radeon r9 380 4gb along with a EVGA 600W 80+ and EXP GDC Beast. I've run into some problems with my pc not detecting the r9 380 from the mpcie slot and was hoping if anyone had some insight on whats causing the problem.

34mm EC card fits a 54mm slot. Yes, I just flattened it a bit as was catching from being a bit too thick. That was with an EXP GDC V6. Never had that problem with a BPlus adapter.

That's what I have now. In the end, still couldn't fit sadly. I'm more worried that it didn't fit in the 34mm slot than the 54mm. I'll give an update on Thursday or Friday depending when the bracket gets here.

Thank you nando it worked.

You didnt needed to use uefi to do this.

Thank you

Thank you nando it worked.

You didnt needed to use uefi to do this.

Thank you

Nice. As we have no mbr implementation details for that system at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt did you want to post an implementation report to help others ? Pertinent detail being whether it was all plug and play or if you needed specific steps in Setup 1.30 (or anything else) to overcome error 12.

Update: Yeah, the brackets as I thought were useless. I did flatten the card and even that didn't work. I did get a response on my support ticket, but told me to talk to them again this weekend. I'm kinda at a loss.

Nice. As we have no mbr implementation details for that system at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt did you want to post an implementation report to help others ? Pertinent detail being whether it was all plug and play or if you needed specific steps in Setup 1.30 (or anything else) to overcome error 12.

It was done through bootcamp

I used the nvidia gtx 750 ti graphic card connected to the akitio thunder 2 with the riser. I am using the evga 500 watt psu with jumper. It was just plug and play. You just need to delete amd catlyst control centre and have and externer monitor connected to the graphic card.

There were no errors comming up

Hi guys,

I have difficulties connecting gtx 560 ti via pe4l 2.1b to my dell lattitude e5530.

Sorry for my english, but I will try to tell the problem.

So while no nvidia drivers are installed i hot plug the egpu and it is instantly detected, I install nvidia drivers and reboot the laptop. after the reboot i hot plug egpu and it gets detected for a second, a internal monitor flashes and egpu disconnects... However, i have managed to connect it a few times. tried to run it only on external monitor,but nvidia drivers crashed so it worked only on extended mode. when i tried to launch a game i got BSOD (video dxgkrnl fatal error).

Turning on laptop with egpu already connected and on, it gets me in a bootloop.

I have tried all the suggestions on "Why is my eGPU is not detected?" and no suggestions worked.

1. Win 8.1 x64

2. dell latitude e5530 i5-3230

3. 8gb ram

4. gigabyte gtx 560ti

5. psu 350w 12v 18a

i have dsdt override

egpu was running pcie 1.2.0

could you guys help me?

should i get setup 1.3? or there is another way to get egpu working?

thanks you :)

It was done through bootcamp

I used the nvidia gtx 750 ti graphic card connected to the akitio thunder 2 with the riser. I am using the evga 500 watt psu with jumper. It was just plug and play. You just need to delete amd catlyst control centre and have and externer monitor connected to the graphic card.

There were no errors comming up

As mentioned, it would be helpful for other owners of this system if you could detail your whole configuration and the exact steps you used along with some pics as an Implementation report at Implementation Guides - Apple . Then those owners can confidentally follow your pioneering work in getting it all going.

Hi,

I just upgraded from windows 7 to 8.1 (clean install)

In windows 7, my egpu setup used to work perfectly.

In windows 8.1, I keep getting code 12.

I tried DSDT over ride as well, but that has not helped

EGPU: PE4H (2.5 Gbps)

Laptop: Hp Probook 4530s (8gb RAM)

Windows: 8.1 Pro x64

GPU: 560Ti

post-40536-14495001122898_thumb.jpg

Please advise! And Thanks in advance!

post-40536-144950011227_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.