eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Good day,

I am really new at this forum, I hope I post to the right thread.

I put together my stuff almost a week ago (Hp8570p *ATI dGPU 7550* + EXP GDC Beast V 7.0 + GTX 560 Ti + Windows 10 64 bit), I got through these steps:

- I started the eGPU with hot plugging into EC slot, the system did not recognize it, after I moved the delay switch to the central position the eGPU was recognized, and external display went on, but after 1-2 minutes it went off again and got error code 43.

- I got setup 1.30 from Nando, I run it from a USB stick, but chainload does not work as I experienced. I have partition GPT and did not changed it to MBR yet. I made some let say tests in setup 1.30, but I am not sure what I did, let say I was like a blind man. Then started the system. The eGPU became more stable. I can run it all day using office softwares and doing my daily job, and error 43 has been disappeared.

BUT:

- when I start a game, and the eGPU has overload on it, switches off the external screen. Sometimes the eGPU remains on in the device manager without problems, and I also see it in GPU-Z active, but the external display is off, and I can bring it on when I restart the system again, and hotplug the eGPU after Win 10 is running.

I have an external display with VGA connector on it, the other end of the cable is DVI connector. I tried it with a display with a DVI connector on it with a DVI DVI cable, but the display even not switched on after a restart and a hotplug.

Do you know what can be the problem?

Thanks.

- when I start a game, and the eGPU has overload on it, switches off the external screen. Sometimes the eGPU remains on in the device manager without problems, and I also see it in GPU-Z active, but the external display is off, and I can bring it on when I restart the system again, and hotplug the eGPU after Win 10 is running.

I have an external display with VGA connector on it, the other end of the cable is DVI connector. I tried it with a display with a DVI connector on it with a DVI DVI cable, but the display even not switched on after a restart and a hotplug.

Do you know what can be the problem?

Thanks.

EXP GDC is known to have flakey Gen2 compliance. I'd suggest use Setup 1.30 to downgrade your EC port to Gen1 and test further. If that gets you reliable operation then consider acquiring a PE4C V3.0 or PE4L 2.1b, both with soldered cables and much better Gen2 signalling compliance.

EXP GDC is known to have flakey Gen2 compliance. I'd suggest use Setup 1.30 to downgrade your EC port to Gen1 and test further. If that gets you reliable operation then consider acquiring a PE4C V3.0 or PE4L 2.1b, both with soldered cables and much better Gen2 signalling compliance.

Hi Nando,

thanks for the quick reply, I can downgrade the EC port speed to GEN1 as well from BIOS, shall I try there 1st?

Hello everyone,

first of all, please excuse my English.

My Dell notebook has an integrated Intel HD4000 and a dedicated AMD HD7670m, RAM is 4 Gb. I'm using the PE4l 2.1 adapter and an AMD HD6950 as eGPU. I figured out that I have to use Setup 1.x to disable my dGPU.

Tolud is 2,24Gb and should be fine I think? 256mb space are free after pci compaction, the box goes from yes* to yes after compaction

Here are the steps that I've taken:

- PCI compaction using "ignore dGPU", 3,87 is OK and renders no errors

- Then I disable the dGPU

- Then reboot into Win10 via chainloader

But at this point the screen just goes black, sometimes the fan of the eGPU goes to max speed, sometimes it seems to slow down a bit. I can't even reach the login screen, external display plugged into the eGPU also doesn't show any reaction.

I've also tried to hotplug the eGPU, the screen just goes black and the system crashes.

Is there anything I've forgotten to do? After reading countless threads and guides, I still can't figure out what is wrong.

Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone,

My Dell notebook has an integrated Intel HD4000 and a dedicated AMD HD7670m, RAM is 4 Gb. I'm using the PE4l 2.1 adapter and an AMD HD6950 as eGPU. I figured out that I have to use Setup 1.x to disable my dGPU.

Tolud is 2,24Gb and should be fine I think? 256mb space are free after pci compaction, the box goes from yes* to yes after compaction

But at this point the screen just goes black, sometimes the fan of the eGPU goes to max speed, sometimes it seems to slow down a bit. I can't even reach the login screen, external display plugged into the eGPU also doesn't show any reaction.

I've also tried to hotplug the eGPU, the screen just goes black and the system crashes.

Is there anything I've forgotten to do? After reading countless threads and guides, I still can't figure out what is wrong.

Thank you in advance!

Ensure that Chainloader->Test Run works before you do any PCI compaction to narrow down where the issue is. Someteimes the BIOS doesn't correctly setup a bootable system if an eGPU is detected on bootup requiring either hotplug after BIOS post OR use of Delay assertion switches on the eGPU adapter. If they check out, then it's a matter of investigating how complex a compaction you are doing as it may be creating an unstable system. A list of over 20 different compactions to try is shown when you highlight PCI compaction->Run compact and hit F1 over it. Work through those until get a working solution.

If still problematic, pls contact me via email.

Hello everybody!

My system:

Samsung np550p5c CPU: i5 3610M, iGPU: intel HD4000, dGPU: nvidia gt650m, eGPU: PE4C V3.0+GTX960+Chieftec 750W

I have few questions.

I have connected eGPU via PE4C V3.0 . When i have deleted all drivers with "DDU" and then installed 350.12 desktop drivers and reboot it causes blue screen. I was thinking what the problem is it. I have reboot in safe mode and disabe dGPU, now eGPU works, but.... it works only with external LCD.....how can i fix it?

in addition, maybe somebody knows why FPS drops there are when i playng? (from 60 to 20).

Thanks for your answers!

Notebook specs:

15,6" Asus K53SV-SX121V

Sandy Bridge HM65

Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2Ghz

RAM 8Gb 1333 Mhz

Nvidia GeForce GT 540M 2Gb + Intel HD 3000

SSD Goodram CX100 240 Gb

HDD WD 640GB 5400 RPM (instead of DVD-ROM)

Windows 7 Proffessional x64 bit

eGPU hardware:

PE4C-PM060A V3.0

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4G

DELL ADP-220AB 12V 18A 220W DA-2 also avaliable Thermaltake 530W SMART SE Modular BOX

DIY eGPU Setup 1.30

Problem:

Some time ago I bought a PE4C-PM060A V3.0, and realized, that it isn't working properly. PCIe adapter is working but my eGPU isn't recognized by my system at all.

I tried carefully hotplug it to mPCI-e port, no results, tried to plug it while windows was boting, when windows was in a sleep mode also tried to plug it when windows fully loaded into desktop.

One more thing, in the back of graphic card on PCIe adapter there are two switches SW2 and SW1 with positions 1/2/3. Can anybody tell me which position for each SW switch should I choose? I tried different combinations - no chance (still eGPU isn't recognized using setup 1.30).

Please HELP!!!

Problem:

Some time ago I bought a PE4C-PM060A V3.0, and realized, that it isn't working properly. PCIe adapter is working but my eGPU isn't recognized by my system at all.

I tried carefully hotplug it to mPCI-e port, no results, tried to plug it while windows was boting, when windows was in a sleep mode also tried to plug it when windows fully loaded into desktop.

One more thing, in the back of graphic card on PCIe adapter there are two switches SW2 and SW1 with positions 1/2/3. Can anybody tell me which position for each SW switch should I choose? I tried different combinations - no chance (still eGPU isn't recognized using setup 1.30).

Please HELP!!!

@Ros, , detection of the eGPU will only occur in Setup 1.30 if the eGPU asserts itself on the PCIe bus. Try a couple of things to get eGPU detection:

1. Boot with wifi card into Windows, sleep system, swap wifi card for mPCIe eGPU adapter and ensure eGPU is powered on, resume system. Do a device manager scan in Windows. Is the eGPU detected?

2. Boot with wifi card into Setup 1.30. *carefully* hotplug the eGPU adapter in place of wifi card. Hit F5 to rescan the PCIe bus. Is the eGPU detected?

3. Set the delays switches on the eGPU adapter by bypass BIOS detection. Boot with eGPU adapter in wifi slot into Setup 1.30/Windows. Is the eGPU detected?

If not, then there is one other thing that can be done. Jumper the PSU so it's permanently on. Depending on the PSU you are using refer to the following doco on how to do that. What that does is prevent a race condition ensuring the eGPU is powered and ready to go when the mPCIe CLKRUN signal starts.

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8441-%5Bguide%5D-switching-atx-psu-using-paperclip-trick-swex.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html

If you still don't get detection then test the video card and eGPU adapter in another machine to confirm neither is faulty.

Nando

I've a hp 2570p + EXP GDC V6 Express Card + Gigabyte GTX 670 windows 8.1 UEFI setup. It seem like my express card can't handle the GTX 670 capability because when I play Metal Gear Rising for benchmarking, no matter how low I decreased the setting, the fps is still the same as the highest setting leading me to the conclusion that the express card simply can't transfer all of the data between the 670 and my 2570p fast enough. Is there a solution for this? I've switched my Express Card setting from Gen 1 and Gen 2 before the test.

ps: I forgot to mention, my fps is about like, below 10?

ps2: I guess I figure it out after watching a few videos about egpu. My setup doesn't have a PSU, is this the source of the problem? What kind of PSU do I need? Is a 650w necessary or not?

I've a hp 2570p + EXP GDC V6 Express Card + Gigabyte GTX 670 windows 8.1 UEFI setup. It seem like my express card can't handle the GTX 670 capability because when I play Metal Gear Rising for benchmarking, no matter how low I decreased the setting, the fps is still the same as the highest setting leading me to the conclusion that the express card simply can't transfer all of the data between the 670 and my 2570p fast enough. Is there a solution for this? I've switched my Express Card setting from Gen 1 and Gen 2 before the test.

ps2: I guess I figure it out after watching a few videos about egpu. My setup doesn't have a PSU, is this the source of the problem? What kind of PSU do I need? Is a 650w necessary or not?

Depends what GPU you have. a GTX 670 needs 500 watts of power as a minimium, most likely you need a PSU to power the GPU. Also, what do you get with the iGPU (integrated GPU) as it could just be because you did not do it correctly and the GPU is not being used for the program/game.

I personally think its your CPU bottlenecking the connection as if it was because of the Expresscard slot, the fps would change depending on the settings, but since you said they were the same no matter what setting they are on I am lead to believe that it is your CPU as the CPUs load does not change depending on the setting, just the game itself.

Though, you might want to wait for Nandos response as i'm stating things as I see them(and I haven't even done a egpu yet (waiting for Thunderbolt 3 laptops to be released).

On a different note, Nando, if a laptop have a dedicated GPU (with Optimus/switchable) is it guaranteed to be able to run an eGPU. Also, will a Thunderbolt 3 laptop be much easier to setup.

Hi guys,

My dGPU on my Dell Precision is dead recenlty.

I bought a eGPU adapter and the setup1.30.

I read many thread in this forum and I have few questions.

My eGPU (an old 9800 gt) is reconized in my device manager but I got an error 12.

I check my TOLUD on the setup1.30 and it's 3.24Gb.

I have three questions :

- I had a dGPU but it's dead now. I check on the setup1.x and dGPU is off. Can I reallocate the PCI space from my dead dGPU to my new eGPU to remove error 12 ?

- If no, I need to do a DSDT override : can I do it directly in the setup or only manualy with this topic ?

- What is the difference between PCI Compaction and the DSDT override ?

Thanks a lot !

Hi, I recently contacted you through e-mail but I just wanted to make sure so I'm gonna post in here as well.

Hi, I have the EXP GDC beast, and I really require help as I am out of options. I am trying to consider if your setup is the thing I need. (No prior knowledge to these kinds of stuff)

Info:

Laptop Model - HP EliteBook 8560w

CPU - Intel i7-2820QM Quad Core 2.3-3.4 GHz

RAM - 16GB DDR3 RAM

OS - Windows 10

EXP GDC Beast

Mini PCIe to HDMI connector

Other info:

The laptop doesn't boot up when the eGPU with the graphics card on it is connected via the mPCI-e slot.

When it is not plugged in, the laptop boots up. While it's open and I try to plugin the eGPU, it doesn't get detected.

I have no idea what else to do, and wanted to ask if this is the thing I need for it to work before I actually purchase it. Thank you.

Depends what GPU you have. a GTX 670 needs 500 watts of power as a minimium, most likely you need a PSU to power the GPU. Also, what do you get with the iGPU (integrated GPU) as it could just be because you did not do it correctly and the GPU is not being used for the program/game.

I personally think its your CPU bottlenecking the connection as if it was because of the Expresscard slot, the fps would change depending on the settings, but since you said they were the same no matter what setting they are on I am lead to believe that it is your CPU as the CPUs load does not change depending on the setting, just the game itself.

Though, you might want to wait for Nandos response as i'm stating things as I see them(and I haven't even done a egpu yet (waiting for Thunderbolt 3 laptops to be released).

On a different note, Nando, if a laptop have a dedicated GPU (with Optimus/switchable) is it guaranteed to be able to run an eGPU. Also, will a Thunderbolt 3 laptop be much easier to setup.

Thanks for the reply, I'm currently buying a 650w PSU to see if there's any differences. Though I would prefer that I don't need a 650w, would a 400w works? I just use the PSU to power up the 670 and the 670 alone so the PSU should be able to direct its power to the 670? Does it work that way?

In the case of my CPU actually rendered my game instead of my GPU like you said then how can I fix it that problem?

Hi guys,

My dGPU on my Dell Precision is dead recenlty.

I bought a eGPU adapter and the setup1.30.

I read many thread in this forum and I have few questions.

My eGPU (an old 9800 gt) is reconized in my device manager but I got an error 12.

I check my TOLUD on the setup1.30 and it's 3.24Gb.

I have three questions :

- I had a dGPU but it's dead now. I check on the setup1.x and dGPU is off. Can I reallocate the PCI space from my dead dGPU to my new eGPU to remove error 12 ?

- If no, I need to do a DSDT override : can I do it directly in the setup or only manualy with this topic ?

- What is the difference between PCI Compaction and the DSDT override ?

Thanks a lot !

Just attempt PCI compaction in Setup 1.30. It will work within the limits of what the BIOS has set for TOLUD within which the eGPU needs to be allocated.

DSDT override extends the allocation range for the eGPU outside that 32-bit boundary.

Hi, I recently contacted you through e-mail but I just wanted to make sure so I'm gonna post in here as well.

Hi, I have the EXP GDC beast, and I really require help as I am out of options. I am trying to consider if your setup is the thing I need. (No prior knowledge to these kinds of stuff)

Info:

Laptop Model - HP EliteBook 8560w

CPU - Intel i7-2820QM Quad Core 2.3-3.4 GHz

RAM - 16GB DDR3 RAM

OS - Windows 10

EXP GDC Beast

Mini PCIe to HDMI connector

Other info:

The laptop doesn't boot up when the eGPU with the graphics card on it is connected via the mPCI-e slot.

When it is not plugged in, the laptop boots up. While it's open and I try to plugin the eGPU, it doesn't get detected.

I have no idea what else to do, and wanted to ask if this is the thing I need for it to work before I actually purchase it. Thank you.

Use the expresscard slot of the 8560W! Otherwise you'll encounter mPCIe whitelisting issues that can be somewhat cumbersome to overcome. EXP GDC has a expresscard cable end you can buy.

Apply some of the techniques discussed in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10069-gaming-performances-behaviours.html to improve your gaming performance .

Just attempt PCI compaction in Setup 1.30. It will work within the limits of what the BIOS has set for TOLUD within which the eGPU needs to be allocated.

DSDT override extends the allocation range for the eGPU outside that 32-bit boundary.

Thanks for your quick answer Tech Inferno Fan.

Do the PCI compaction is risked for the computer ? Or it's just a basic operation ?

Hello everybody!

My system:

Samsung np550p5c CPU: i5 3610M, iGPU: intel HD4000, dGPU: nvidia gt650m, eGPU: PE4C V3.0+GTX960+Chieftec 750W

I have few questions.

I have connected eGPU via PE4C V3.0 . When i have deleted all drivers with "DDU" and then installed 350.12 desktop drivers and reboot it causes blue screen. I was thinking what the problem is it. I have reboot in safe mode and disabe dGPU, now eGPU works, but.... it works only with external LCD.....how can i fix it?

in addition, maybe somebody knows why FPS drops there are when i playng? (from 60 to 20).

P.S. I had solved a problem with FPS drops (just install razer cortex)

P.S. Sorry for my english...

Thanks for your answers!

Use the expresscard slot of the 8560W! Otherwise you'll encounter mPCIe whitelisting issues that can be somewhat cumbersome to overcome. EXP GDC has a expresscard cable end you can buy.

My HP EliteBook 8560w does not have a expresscard slot. :(

<strike>So I just paid for the setup. Which I don't know what to do now since I didn't receive anything yet.

</strike>Received

Hello, I'm looking for some help. My laptop is an old Asus F8vr, i intend to use a GTX460 as a egpu.

Specs: T5800@2ghz - HD3470 - 4GB RAM

It has an Express card slot.

Can i run egpu on this laptop? It does not have a switchable graphics.

Hello, I'm looking for some help. My laptop is an old Asus F8vr, i intend to use a GTX460 as a egpu.

Specs: T5800@2ghz - HD3470 - 4GB RAM

It has an Express card slot.

Can i run egpu on this laptop? It does not have a switchable graphics.

@ithildin got his similar Asus F8SA/P working with an eGPU in 2010: DIY eGPU experiences - Page 35 .

Though given that Gen2-capable Sandy Bridge or better (recommended Ivy Bridge) notebooks with iGPUs, as reqd for NVidia Optimus features, are available for relatively low $$, may I suggest you upgrade your notebook to get a better eGPU candidate. See http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#3rd .

[Moved from DIY eGPU Experiences (version 2.0]

Hi, I got the setup running and everything. But when I get to the Setup 1.30 menu based I had to plugin the eGPU and my screen just blacks out. It does the same when I try to just plug it in first and boot up.

I've also tried the 6s and 7s suggestion.

I am using my second mPCI-e slot, is that a problem?

Current GPU (internal) - NVidia Quadro 2000M with NVidia 354.35 Quadro Notebook driver

GPU being installed - MSI GeForce GTX 750 TI

*Update* (Methods Tried)

A.

• ​Saved port while wifi card was in
  • Shut system down
  • Took the wifi card out
  • Boot it up
  • Try to plug in the eGPU but it just gives a black screen. (the keyboard lights are turned on)

B.

• Boot up system completely
  • I plug the eGPU in. (Set to 7s)
  • The screen blacks out
  • Comes back after a few seconds with an NVidia error and doesn't show up in the device manager.

Hi Nando ,

My laptop : Lenovo x121e (in the future i can upgrade to another )

CPU = i3-2367M 1.4Ghz

VGA = HD3000

RAM = 8GB

SSD = 60GB

OS = Win 7 Pro 64bit (UEFI)

BIOS = v1.18 ( i updated bios-mod to enable UEFI + remove whitelist )

i want to buy egpu EXP GDC Beast : Exp GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock Mini PCI E Version | eBay . i use mPCI-e with VGA gigabyte 9800GT silentcell 1GB 256bit ( only play PES 2013 ) .

So i have a question , if i buy "Setup 1.3" . can i use internal LCD without Optimus ( i don't want to use ext monitor )

If vga 9800GT not support - Do you suggest me another vga for i can use internal LCD.

Sorry my bad english , many thanks.

Hi Nando ,

My laptop : Lenovo x121e (in the future i can upgrade to another )

CPU = i3-2367M 1.4Ghz

VGA = HD3000

RAM = 8GB

SSD = 60GB

OS = Win 7 Pro 64bit (UEFI)

BIOS = v1.18 ( i updated bios-mod to enable UEFI + remove whitelist )

i want to buy egpu EXP GDC Beast : Exp GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock Mini PCI E Version | eBay . i use mPCI-e with VGA gigabyte 9800GT silentcell 1GB 256bit ( only play PES 2013 ) .

So i have a question , if i buy "Setup 1.3" . can i use internal LCD without Optimus ( i don't want to use ext monitor )

If vga 9800GT not support - Do you suggest me another vga for i can use internal LCD.

Sorry my bad english , many thanks.

Hi taicena,

For the beat eGPU i bought it cheaper here on banggood.

Nando,

Is there a place in this forum like a glossary where there is a description of all specific terms like PCI Compaction, DSDT override, chainload.... ?

It could be a great help for new DIY eGPU users. If you want I can create it on the forum. Let me know.

Hello all, first time posting, sorry if I'm not posting in the right area. I have a 2011 Asus G53SX-A1 ROG laptop with an Nvidia GTX 560m. It's been fine until more recently, the GPU is now underpowered for my tastes. I have plenty of horsepower elsewhere, but the GPU is bottlenecking my system like a boss. I tried searching the forums for anything about this series, but to no avail (though I often overlook things. My bad if I did). Has anyone had any luck with the G53 series and an eGPU? I'm looking at a Nvidia GTX960 if it works. This is my first attempt at this, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I buy anything. Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance!

After reverting back to Win7 and switching to an GTX 470 as eGPU, i finally got everything up and running...

However, even though the GPU should be able to handle Counter-Strike 1.6, I can't seem to get constant 100 fps. When starting CS: GO, there is much stuttering, even in the main menu and graphical errors.

Benchmarking with 3dmark11 works, I get 4200 points, so that should normally be no problem. GPU-Z confirms that x1 2,0 is running. Even switched the driver version back to 347.09, no change.

Do you have any hints or tips why I encounter that massive problems in real games?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

My name is Nisvet Dedic and I am new to this website/forum, and I hope to get along with you all and have a nice time discussing tech related material.

First I would like to state my problem, as you can see from the title, I am having a certain problem with my eGPU, and I am constantly getting code 43 no matter what kind of process I do, I also come to one outcome and the result is always code 43.

I tried finding the answer on the internet and I even posted on the official forum of the eGPU and have waited a good week but no answer.

I am not going to put a link of the thread I posted because I don't want to get in trouble or accused of advertising, but the eGPU I am using is the EXP GDC Beast, which I bought from banggood.

Was pretty cheap and I did my research on eGPU's and they seem pretty decent even tho they are limited to a 1x bandwidth.

My laptop's brand is the Lenovo G710 and the specs are as follows;

i5 4200m

12gb ram ( 8gb + 4gb )

intel hd 4600

1tb hdd

windows 10

eGPU I am using is the EXP GDC Beast v7 (I believe, I am not quite sure, but it was bought recently)

Gpu I am using for the eGPU is the Msi Gtx 760 2gb OC

PSU: Corsair GS 750 750w *Power supply is a large one, but its the only one I can use atm since I really don't want to buy another for a non-working eGPU.*

I am using the mpci port for the connection between the eGPU and my laptop, had to remove my Wireless/Bluetooth card and I had unlock my bios since it was whitelisted and can only use certain Lenovo approved hardware, which was quite a hassle to deal with in the beginning, but I found someone on a forum to do it for me at a cheap price.

Now I will tell you the steps I tried when I was messing around while I was constantly getting code 43.

Turned the eGPU off and set the delay and the other switch to off, and then tried rebooting the laptop with the eGPU plugged in. (Everything ran perfectly fine, the psu turned on and the gpu did as well, but the light on the eGPU was red, not sure if that means its working or if there is an error.) When entering the device manager I could see the gpu I was using but the problem still persisted.

Tried disabling and removing drivers of the intel 4600 but it didn't solve the problem either, it would always show the yellow triangle within the details it would say, " Code 43"

Can anyone help me with this, I really want to try the eGPU and see what it can do, but I am stuck and have tried everything but with no avail.

Thank you for reading.

-Nisvet

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.