eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

You should really have a pci-e 2.0 capable adapter. Even with optimus you'll find that overclocking the 5200M will provide smoother gameplay than the 960 with an x1 1.1 link in some games.

For real? Oh man...What i've done...

• 2 weeks later...

• Windows 8.1 x64
  • intel i7 2670qm
  • bplus v2.1
  • Msi geforce gtx 960
  • dell 220w powerbox
  • intel hd 3000

So something strange happened to my eGPU. Overnight it went from working to not working. Ive tried to roll back drivers, reinstall drivers, and all of those fun things. My card does show in device manager with no errors, but everywhere else, its not detected or it gives me weird readings.

EDIT

So after a week of playing around with it and reinstalling windows, I think its a hardware issue. I recently moved and i think the cable might of went bad. I'll probably start looking into cables tomorrow, because i doubt ill be able to find the mpcie one in need.

post-38961-14495000724584_thumb.png

Hello there,

I'm quite new in the eGPU world but I already read a lot on some forums including here. After a lot of reading I decided to buy a desktop graphic card, an adapter and try to make my own eGPU working.

Problem description

I installed the adapter as explained on the manufacturer website and plug my GTX670 on it. Then i removed my wireless mPcie card and plug the cable between the laptop and the Beast. DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 was previously installed and I'm able to boot on it. When I'm on the software screen, I got the message that my "eGPU is not detected" and I'm not able to make it working.

I consulted the FAQ and try to plug the eGPU after BIOS, then after Windows start, try with little jumpers to delay the boot of eGPU but it's not better.

Both pcie power connector of the graphic cards are connected on the ATX PSU. I also tried to hotplug the adapter. In DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 I'm not able to disable the dGPU, I'm not sure it's normal...I think my laptop is compatible according to the pre-purchase FAQ and in the implementation pc topic, I can see an Acer 5742G which have an architecture similar to my TM87.

I thought maybe I needed to update my BIOS so I updated it from v1.12 to v1.23 (for Acer 5741G) but nothing helpful.

Do you have any tips for me ?

Thank you !

Platform Description

1. OS : Windows 10 Pro x64

2. System : Packard Bell Easynote TM87 - Intel HM55 - i5-540m - dGPU Nvidia 320m

3. RAM : 8GB

4. eGPU used : PNY GTX 670

5. PSU specification : ATX 470w

6. Adapter : GDC Beast mPcie

Hi,

I have the same problem with my Acer 5755G and my Beast adapter. Have you already managed the problem?

Sincerely,

nasourso.

Hello,

Unfortunately... no. I'm still searching for a solution but I think the BIOS is blocking me. What is your chipset and your BIOS version ? Is it an unlocked BIOS ?

I'm having an interesting issue with my pe4h-ec2c vidock. Even though I installed a driver for the GTX 550 Ti on windows 10, when I plug in the GTX, it's driver properties first says it doesn't have a driver installed, then continually makes the device disconnect sound while throwing a code-45 'device not connected' error. If I leave it plugged in and restart it gives me a blue screen of death.

System info

Hp 4530s probook 6-series

Duo core i7 processor

1 gig of ram (down from 8g; need to free up 'addressing space' in the DTST according to technical friend who's helping with the project)

Intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series graphics cards

Hello,

Now I'm able to detect my eGPU in the DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 but I still have an issue with the dGPU, the command to disable it doesn't work. It stucks ont "Attempt to disable dGPU on PCI 16x...". After a little time, the dGPU is "successfully enabled".

Did somebody already solve this issue ?

Platform Description

2. System : Packard Bell Easynote TM87 - Intel HM55 - i5-540m - dGPU Nvidia 320m

Hello,

Now I'm able to detect my eGPU in the DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 but I still have an issue with the dGPU, the command to disable it doesn't work. It stucks ont "Attempt to disable dGPU on PCI 16x...". After a little time, the dGPU is "successfully enabled".

Did somebody already solve this issue ?

Platform Description

Your Easynote TM87 has a HD5470 dGPU and no iGPU according to Review Packard Bell EasyNote TM87 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews . Disabling the dGPU in Setup 1.3 will mean your primary display may become disconnected.

If you are endeavour to disable the dGPU to gain Optimus x1 PCIe compression then consider enabling the dormant iGPU on your CPU along with disabling your dGPU as discussed in http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/6792-15-acer-aspire-5742g-gtx660ti@2gbps-c-mpcie1-pe4c-1-2-win8-1-%5Bniskon%5D.html

Another update.

I just tested my gpu on another bplus stand and im still getting the same results; gpu shows up in device manager with no errors, everywhere else its not detected or comes back with weird numbers. It has to be the graphics card or the software im using

Hello,

I am running into some problems setting up my egpu. I hope somebody can help.

My system:

- HP Envy 15t-j100: 4700MQ, GT 740M, Intel HD 4600

- VGA: GTX 760 connected to external monitor

- Adapter: EXP GDC Beast

- PSU: 500W

Below is what I've done so far:

- Uninstalled Nvidia driver, restarted then disabled GT 740M in device manager

- Plugged in eGPU, powered the laptop on

- Good thing here, the laptop could detect new hardware and I was able to install driver for it. The external monitor remained black and I was prompted to restart in order to make the graphics card work properly

2_zpshpefrfxo.jpg

- I restarted my laptop. Unfortunately, right before booting into windows, the eGPU stopped working, the blue screen appeared with the error message "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE". I made many trials and errors and sometime I got this error "VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL". Either way, I couldn't make it boot into windows. I think the they are sort of driver problems or something, but I am not so sure.

Somebody please help, I have tried with windows 10 and windows 8.1 so far (the symptom was the same for both OSes). Should I give windows 7 a try?

Hello,

My specs are:

Lenovo x200 tablet

CPU: L9400

iGPU: 4500HD

eGPU: Nvidia 560 Ti

Adapter: Pe4C 2.1 (using 1 link at the moment)

I have encountered a problem with the error 12. I am no coder, therefore I found it hard to understand what should I do when following the long and official DSDT override fix, so I followed the solution in this link: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.html#post49833

Because I have 2 operating systems on my laptop, I tried the override on both of them and both of them failed. Although Windows 8.1 was able load its self back somehow, Windows 7 kept popping me up BSOD's everytime I would see the Windows logo.

Is there any other solution this this problem? I have followed the steps exactly with no luck.

I still don't have the DIY eGPU setup so at the moment I feel like I'm kind of out of options :/

My system detects the eGPU but because of the memory allocation I can't do a thing

EDIT///////////////////////////////////////////

As I have a little time at the moment, I will specify what I've done:

First of all, I used the DSDT override method mentioned above. Considering, that it failed miserably I used the original method posted here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html. This method has also failed (and I have retried it in various ways).

I should have also mentioned, that according to my device manager, my TOLUD space is somewhat about 3GB

attachment.php?attachmentid=15918&d=1442212954

All the errors I have are "Invalid object type for reserved name ^ (_PLD: found Buffer, P ackage required)". I did all of these things with the same dsl file (multiple times of course):

1. I compiled my dsl, and I got 24 errors, 10 warnings and somewhat 12 remarks. I fixed all the errors. Result: 0 errors, 10 warnings, 0 remarks -> BSOD upon Windows logo.
  2. I compiled my dsl and used the DSDT editor to automatically fix all errors. Result: 0 errors, 10 warnings -> BSOD upon Windows logo
  3. I compiled my dsl using the DSDT editor then compiled it again with iasl command and found out, that the compiled dsl actually contains more than 200 errors after "fixing the errors". I've fixed these errors. Result: 0 errors, 1 warning -> BSOD upon Windows logo.
  4. I compiled my dsl and used the DSDT editor in order to apply a patch to automatically fix all the errors. The location of the patch is here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/syntax/fix_PLD.txt. The DSDT editor stated, that the file has 0 errors and even a repeat iasl compile of the same file showed, that it had 0 errors. So, obvious result: 0 errors, 10 warnings -> BSOD upon Windows logo.

ALSO WORTH MENTIONING:

1. I've read up some posts in this forum, and found out, that one user with a Lenovo x200 (SLINK) used to have the same problem. He used this:

In case anyone else has trouble with the override, the errors in my DSDT.dsl were all "Invalid object type for reserved name ^ (_PLD: found Buffer, P ackage required)". I was able to fix them by finding these lines

Code:

<code class="bbcode_code" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: 12px; direction: ltr; font-size: 12px;">Name (_PLD, ToPLD(

PLD_Revision = 0x1,

PLD_IgnoreColor = 0x1,

PLD_Red = 0x0,

PLD_VerticalOffset = 0x0,

PLD_HorizontalOffset = 0x0)

) // _PLD: Physical Location of Device</code>

and changing them to this

Code:

<code class="bbcode_code" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: 12px; direction: ltr; font-size: 12px;">Name (_PLD, Package() { ToPLD (

PLD_Revision = 0x1,

PLD_IgnoreColor = 0x1,

PLD_Red = 0x0,

PLD_VerticalOffset = 0x0,

PLD_HorizontalOffset = 0x0)}

) // _PLD: Physical Location of Device

</code><code class="bbcode_code" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; direction: ltr;">

This method doesnt work for me, because for some reason I don't have the same DSDT code layout. Mine looks like this:

Name (_PLD, Buffer (0x10)  // _PLD: Physical Location of Device                        {                            /* 0000 */   0x81, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,                            /* 0008 */   0x59, 0x12, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

2. My PNP0A08 devices in the DSDT code begin waaay after the PCI0 line (for some reason, the first device after PCI0 is PNP0C02):

attachment.php?attachmentid=15919&d=1442214036

attachment.php?attachmentid=15920&d=1442214052

3. This is how my DSDT lines look (there is no other Qwordmemory, is it okay?):

attachment.php?attachmentid=15921&d=1442214118

</code>

post-38975-14495000730821_thumb.png

post-38975-14495000731127_thumb.png

post-38975-14495000731384_thumb.png

post-38975-1449500073163_thumb.png

hi guys, i have big problem with my eGPU:

when i turn on eGPU, BIOS is freezing, can't load win or DIY setup 1.30. I'm try to disable dGPU in DIY setup 1.30 then turn on eGPU, but it's go black screen again. My eGPU only see on laptop when win 7 take sleep and turn Win wake up. How i can make eGPU load in DIY setup 1.30 ?

My system:

- Dell Vostro 5460 intel i5 3230m

- RAM 4 GB in Win 7 64bit

- iGPU HD 4000, dGPU Nvidia 630m, eGPU Nvidia GTX 750 Ti

- Adapter: EXP GDC Beast

anyone can help me?

sorry my english so bad.

hi everyone

I'm new in egpu.

I bought a PE4H v3.2 few days ago and thanks to reading this forum i setup my egpu and

now its working fine.

i have a lenovo T430, GTX680 and a 850Watt psu.

i have output in both laptop and external display.

I don't use any software to implement the egpu, only use the bios.

first i put the "express card speed" in generation1, and after by put it in automatic a got better performance.

i have few question;

- i saw x1.2opt and don't know what is it, could you explain plz?

- in sniper elite game i reach to around 68 percent of the performance of the gtx680 in comparison with when it was in my desktop pc.

Please tell me its good or i can increase the performance?

- how i can measure my pcie speed?

- I want to update my bios but I afraid loose every thing. please advice.

Best Regards

Amir

Your Easynote TM87 has a HD5470 dGPU and no iGPU according to Review Packard Bell EasyNote TM87 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews . Disabling the dGPU in Setup 1.3 will mean your primary display may become disconnected.

If you are endeavour to disable the dGPU to gain Optimus x1 PCIe compression then consider enabling the dormant iGPU on your CPU along with disabling your dGPU as discussed in http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/6792-15-acer-aspire-5742g-gtx660ti@2gbps-c-mpcie1-pe4c-1-2-win8-1-%5Bniskon%5D.html

Hello Nando and thanks for the answer.

I confirm that my laptop has a GT320M.

I followed the mentionned topic and it seems to work, thank you !

Can you confirm that x1 PCIe Compression is compatible with Intel HD 3000 until NVidia 306.97 WHQL driver ?

Hello,

since i'm new to the egpu matters, I've run into some trouble with setting up the whole set and forcing it to work properly. I would much appreciate your help and guidance which can hopefully lead to the right solution.

My setup looks like this:

- asus N71JV: Intel Core [email protected], Chipset: Intel HM55 + ICH9M, RAM: 8GB DDR, Windows 7 HB x64,

- igpu: Intel HD Graphics,

- dgpu: GT325M,

- egpu: GTX 670 mini on EXP GDC Beast powered with Dell DA-2 and connected to the laptop via expresscard slot + DIY Setup 1.3.

So far I've managed to get the egpu detected by Windows and installed latest nvidia drivers for it. To do that I needed to:

- create large memory using DSDT override method,

- in Setup 1.3 I need to follow these steps to successfully chainload Windows: disable dgpu, initiate egpu than run 32 bit compaction on egpu with the endpoint set to 3.87 (to get successful 32 bit compaction I needed to switch Windows from my native language to english); also I'd like to mention that both switches on EXP GDC cover (CTD, PTD) must be set to on and 14 s to chainload Windows, otherwise I can only see the two dots that would create Windows logo and then the system just freezes or reboots itself.

After that the system will load and in device manager most of the times I will see my GTX 670 detected but with error code 43 (windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems). Sometimes hotplugging the expresscard helps to solve this error, and then I can see egpu in device manager without any warning signs. But - and here comes the main issue - even though I am unable to run any game or benchmark - it looks like when the laptop is switching from igpu to egpu the screen just goes black and the system reboots. Nevertheless while egpu is properly detected in device manager most of the times I'm able to run GPU-Z and get readings from the sensors.

It looks very weird, but I'm stuck so I decided to seek help from more wise, experienced and skillful users. So please tell me is there any possible solution or the case is hopeless?

(please excuse me if the post is difficult to understand, but english is not my native language; also I need to mention that I deliberately skipped some of my failed tries to resolve the problem, because the did not bring anything new to the subject).

With best regards,

Bartek

Hey everyone,

Not sure people will care or not, but I posted a while ago about my setup in a semi portable enclosure with a GTX460. Well things have changed, I have taken out and put the egpu in a drawer on my desk, open while in use, etc. The biggest change though, I am using Linux exclusively!

My System

Lenovo x220

i5 2540m

8gb ram

256GB msata SSD

320 HDD

GTX660 egpu

Xubuntu 15.04

nvidia 346.59

This is plug and play for me! Works with external monitor as well as internal! Every game I have tested works great, or better than windows in some cases. Cities: Skylines for instance would crash in windows using an external screen, but not the internal. go figure. On linux, it actually runs faster, and no crashes on either screen. If anyone is interested in some benchmarks, I can try when I have some time.

One minor caviot. As far as I know, I can only use external screens plugged into the egpu, OR the internal screen only, at least while the egpu is plugged in that is. I have to disable whatever screen I dont want to play games on. I do this manually at first, but Linux has done a pretty good job remembering my settings, so I know my xorg.conf file isn't being re-written every time. :) Anyways, was just really excited, and if you guys have questions, feel free to ask. :)

Do i have to uninstall and reinstall drivers each time I want to switch between dGPU and eGPU? BTW, my laptop is Dell M4800, with an i7 4700MQ, FirePro M5100 and I'm planning to use ExpressCard for eGPU adapter. What adapter and EGPU would you recommend to get the best out of it, with least waste due to bandwidth limitation? Maybe a GTX970 as maximum option I can go for?

Hi Guys,

I am trying to figure out the setup: laptop samsung r540 (more info below) plus gigabyte gtx960 gaming g1 on exp gdc beast

The card doesn´t turn on and I have a status

SCN001.BMP

system info

System Information report written at: 09/20/15 13:00:37

System Name: KONRAD-KOMPUTER

[system Summary]

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name KONRAD-KOMPUTER

System Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.

System Model R530/R730/R540

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz, 2266 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 08JV.M029.20100621.hkk, 2010-06-21

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3

Locale Polska

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name Konrad-Komputer\Konrad

Time Zone Greenwich Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4,00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3,80 GB

Available Physical Memory 2,05 GB

Total Virtual Memory 7,60 GB

Available Virtual Memory 5,70 GB

Page File Space 3,80 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Any help appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

post-39228-14495000743492_thumb.jpg

mmh i feel like there's something preventing my GPU to work at x2 link. a

anyone got an idea?

ran the MSI afterburner and the GPU utilization is at 0%. wtf and gpu is showing as usual in the device managers.

oh btw, i used to play on external monitor and today i had to move it. so it's since switching to the internal monitor that this started.

edit: replugging the monitor fixed it. there's some easy setting surely that i'm missing.

Hi everybody!

I sold my gtx 660 ti and I bought a 560ti instead (I still have the 560 as well), and a better psu, a used corsair vx450, because with the old fsp, the 660ti just did not always work. My point is, I saw that gaming is ok with the new psu, but at furmark it crashed every time with BSOD, no matter, which card I used. I did now know why, I first asked the seller of the 560ti, if it was wrong or something. He said, that particular issue has not occured to him. Well later I tried furmark with my old FSP 350W, and then everything was ok.

So then the corsair psu did not work as expected, I thought, I measured the voltage of the 12V, and when the graphics card was loaded, it fell to like 10,3V (this with like 700Mhz core clock, because on stock it just crashed in a second).

So the solution was that I needed to put load to the 5V as well (I tried an old IDE CD player with 1,2A load on 5V) and then everything got back to normal, the 12V did not drop lower than 11,7V (and this was with massive OC on the 560).

I hope that I could help those who had similar issues in the past.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.