eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Before I write up my guide on getting a Dell Precision M6500 + GTX 670 working, I am just trying to find out if I have done things properly.

The 670 has a monitor plugged in to it, and I am getting output, plus the device is listed as working in the device manager, so I know the card is working ok.

How do I know if the software is using the 670 GTX as the main GFX device? I was expecting any software to render on the monitor plugged in to the device, however that doesnt happen, it just renders on the laptop LCD, which isnt a bad thing. Does that mean the 670 GTX isnt being used? Silly question, I know, but I want to be sure that it is working ok.

Finally my PE4C-EC100C V2.0 is arrived!!!

Installation went fine now i'm trying to let nVidia optmus work.

In the weekend i will do some benchmarks.

HW:

Lenovo ThinkPad X201T

CPU: Intel I7 L620

RAM: 2x4GB

Internal VGA: Intel Integrated

eGPU: PNY XR8 GeForce GTX 570 1,28GB

eGPU Adapter: PE4C v2.0

Thanks to @Tech Inferno Fan for the replies :)

HW:

Lenovo ThinkPad X201T

Whoah this looks interesting, did your PE4C V2 came with a power brick and what wattage is the rating?

Interested to see your setup and benchmarks buddy!

HW:

Lenovo ThinkPad X201T

Could you suggest what is the highest eGPU I can get for PE4C-EC100C V2.0?

My laptop is Thinkpad T530, and I am not so sure what is the bandwidth of the express card or if PE4C-EC100C V2.0 is even compatible.

I'd much appreciate it if you could name a few eGPUs which are suitable for my T530.

So after spending an entire day reading about egpu solutions i‘m still torn which one to use. Go with cheaper exp gdc for 50$ and risk something not working or ordering pe4c kit. My main issue is that 2570p is coming in next week and ordering something in from china will take a long time. Since this is just a side project at this point im looking not to spend too much or gf will have my man parts on the pole if she new i fot yet another toy.

Any chance anyone here is from eu and is looking to offload their egpu ec kit?

HW:

Lenovo ThinkPad X201T

I am considering buying PE4C-EC100C V2.0 with GTX 570. The concern is PE4C-EC100C V2.0 only have a 220W power supply while GTX 570 can use up to 250W.

Do you use a separate PSU for this eGPU or the default Dell power adapter just works fine?

Hey guys,

I've got an OWC Helios sitting here collecting dust that I want to get rid of. I'm considering offers above 200USD so PM me if interested. Shipping is free to India and China, if you want it delivered somewhere else please PM me and I'll give you a quote.

Details:

Package includes: 1x OWC Helios, 2x Custom PCIe extenders with my PCI Reset Delay switch, Setup 1.x , 1x Thunderbolt 2m cable (optional)

I purchased the Helios for 350USD from B&H back on 01/18/2013 so it is still under warranty. I've only used it for about 2 weeks and it has been sitting in a corner collecting dust ever since. This is basically a perfect setup for any SB/IVB Macbook owners who want to run bootcamp as I'm including everything you need for the setup, you just need to connect a few wires to an external PSU and you're set.

I didn't want to include any pictures in this post as they'll take up space but I'll be glad to provide pics via PM.

*Edit - Forgot to mention that I originally ran this with a 2012 rMBP 15" on Win7. I've used this with an HD7950, 2 different HD5850s and one 560ti.

Bump to stay relevant. I've recently taken to Steam in Home streaming using my server which is running 2xHD7950 over a gigabit line to my rMBP 15". I'm looking to update to a R9 295x2 in the near future but I will most probably be getting back into eGPUs in 2016 with TB3 (or possibly TB4).

My laptop is Thinkpad T530, and I am not so sure what is the bandwidth of the express card or if PE4C-EC100C V2.0 is even compatible.

I'd much appreciate it if you could name a few eGPUs which are suitable for my T530.

Let me do that for you;

AMD GPUs; AMD Radeon Rx 200 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NVIDIA GPUs; GeForce 700 series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keyword here is TDP, choose from the two camps at least MAX TDP 225 W and your good to go with a dell da-2 220 W adapter.

Then comes the Bandwidth speed. Consider these two factors.

- - - Updated - - -

From here I read that "PE4C 2.0 was pulled from sale. Was told there was a bug in the hardware design that triggered ait. A"

Any idea what is triggered here? and How does it affect PE4C 2.0 system? I am consider buying PE4C-EC100C V2.0 and I am not so sure if the aforementioned problem will cause any problems.

No one knows but for sure it will be realeased by the end of the year as per their answer from my mail.

Don't know exactly what was the problem. Better go with EXP GDC V6, mine will arrive few days more if your wanting to start with an eGPU project right away.

Getting a clean x4 3.0 external PCIe interface would be more than enough. At least that's what HP has running to their consumer notebook dGPUs. I saw them change their dGPU inteface from x16 1.0 (1st gen i-core and older), to x8 2.0 (Sandy Bridge), to x4 3.0 (Ivy Bridge+). PCIe 3.0 was introduced on the PCIe ports hosted on the northbridge as part of the Series-7 chipset used with Ivy Bridge CPUs (2012). Haswell Series-8 chipset machines of course also have a PCIe 3.0 port on their northbridge too. That being used generally to host dGPUs, though 15" Macbook Pros have their PCIe 2.0 Thunderbolt port hanging off there.

Upon further inspection, the only way that I could get a clean PCIe 3.0 x4 interface would be to use 8 SMA coaxial connectors. I don't think there are any other connection types that support that kind of bandwidth and are in my price range. On the other hand 8 SATA cables, each one sending/receiving one lane with twinaxial cabling should be able to handle a PCIe 2.0 interface just fine. 8x PCIe 2.0 will be sufficient.

Not even sure why I've gone and researched this yet since I have yet to even unlock to BIOS!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I can't use SMA right angle connectors because they are a few millimeters too large to fit into the Ultrabay.

EDIT2: Micro coax is an option (DC-10GHz), but is also expensive...

Whoah this looks interesting, did your PE4C V2 came with a power brick and what wattage is the rating?

Interested to see your setup and benchmarks buddy!

Yes the PE4C V2 come with a common dell adapter (i have the same on my M1730) i will check the wattage this weekend and i'll do some bench, photos and a small explaination (the process is like a plug'n'play device, really no strange config etc... maybe i've done something wrong but it worked xD)

I'm a total noob for eGPU :) your laptop is newer and maybe is even more compatible than mine.

Search in the forum similar configs (i've done this before buy mine adapter) there are a lot of configuration.

For what i've understand eGPU is an elite's field xD just the brave have tried it and you need to take some risk.

Quoting Tech Inferno Fan in another thread:

AFAIK both the PE4C V2.x and EXP GDC V6 have a Dell DA-2 220W AC adapter option. That's good enough for a GTX680 or R9 270X. R9 280X requires 250W. A NVidia card is recommended for it's superiour performance over an AMD equivalent where the candidate system has an active Intel HD iGPU and a x1 1.0 or x1 2.0 PCIe link.

I add the fact that nVidia series 6xx support the new features like ShadowPlay and SHIELD PC streaming

From here I read that "PE4C 2.0 was pulled from sale. Was told there was a bug in the hardware design that triggered ait. A"

Any idea what is triggered here? and How does it affect PE4C 2.0 system? I am consider buying PE4C-EC100C V2.0 and I am not so sure if the aforementioned problem will cause any problems.

When i've ordered mine i haven't find this post so i don't konow nothing about this bug and now i'm a little bit worried about it :(

I am considering buying PE4C-EC100C V2.0 with GTX 570. The concern is PE4C-EC100C V2.0 only have a 220W power supply while GTX 570 can use up to 250W.

Do you use a separate PSU for this eGPU or the default Dell power adapter just works fine?

I've used the dell PSU but i've done just a few test. This weekend i will stress the config and make benchmarks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've used the dell PSU but i've done just a few test. This weekend i will stress the config and make benchmarks.

I look forward to your test results!

GTX 570 is still a very powerful card and I am considering buying it. But I am still perplexed about its power consumption. According to its official site, the Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) is 219 W. But the actually test showed that it needs over 330 W when it is loaded, which is certainly over the limit of the Dell PSU.

Can't wait to see your test results and benchmark. :rapture:

I look forward to your test results!

GTX 570 is still a very powerful card and I am considering buying it. But I am still perplexed about its power consumption. According to its official site, the Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) is 219 W. But the actually test showed that it needs over 330 W when it is loaded, which is certainly over the limit of the Dell PSU.

Can't wait to see your test results and benchmark. :rapture:

Mmm i'm not sure how they check the "real" consumption.

GeForce GTX 580 review - Hardware setup | Power consumption

Measured power consumption

1. System in IDLE = 187W
  2. System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 447W
  3. Difference (GPU load) = 260W
  4. Add average IDLE wattage ~ 20W
  5. Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 280 Watts

Above, a chart of relative power consumption. This is the entire PC (not just the card as just measured) with the GPU(s) stressed 100%, and the CPU(s) left in idle. Mind you that these are the extreme peak measurements, overall power consumption will, obviously, be lower.

So i think that you can sleep safe with the dell adapter :) also it comes included in the kit and the PE4C v2.0 support also a PC atx PSU.

This weekend i will mesure the consumption of the GPU+PE4C+DEll PSU from a plug watt meter at idle and at full load :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mmm i'm not sure how they check the "real" consumption.

GeForce GTX 580 review - Hardware setup | Power consumption

So i think that you can sleep safe with the dell adapter :) also it comes included in the kit and the PE4C v2.0 support also a PC atx PSU.

This weekend i will mesure the consumption of the GPU+PE4C+DEll PSU from a plug watt meter at idle and at full load :)

Thank you for the input. Any reason that you choose GTX 570 over other cards? This card is actually on the recommended list by Bplus, although cards like GTX 660 consume less power and have more bandwidth.

Thank you for the input. Any reason that you choose GTX 570 over other cards? This card is actually on the recommended list by Bplus, although cards like GTX 660 consume less power and have more bandwidth.

I've found it used on a forum for 80€ shipping included :) and i've found another user that have successful make egpu on the x201t with the same card.

If budget is not a problem maybe a new card is better

Hello Nando, my gtx 760 is detected by egpu setup but not in windows device manager. i have tried disabling my dgpu so that only hd3000 is shown in dm but still no gtx760. Im using an acer aspire 5750g with second gen i7 and nvidia gt540m and my gtx 760 connected through mpcie. please help :S

Let me do that for you;

AMD GPUs; AMD Radeon Rx 200 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia NVIDIA GPUs; GeForce 700 series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keyword here is TDP, choose from the two camps at least MAX TDP 225 W and your good to go with a dell da-2 220 W adapter. Then comes the Bandwidth speed. Consider these two factors.

Thank you for your help! I narrowed down to two cards -- GTX 750 Ti and GTX 660.

Power usage:

GeForce GTX 750 Ti 60 Watts
GeForce GTX 660 140 Watts

Memory bandwidth
GeForce GTX 660 144192 MB/sec
GeForce GTX 750 Ti 86400 MB/sec
Do you think they can work with PE4C-EC100C V2.0? Although these two cards are not on the recommendation list of Bplus:

PE4C V2.0 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

I am take some performance loss if it is due to the bandwidth limitation of the Expresscard, but I wonder if they can work at all on the PE4C-EC100C system?

- - - Updated - - -

I've found it used on a forum for 80€ shipping included :) and i've found another user that have successful make egpu on the x201t with the same card. If budget is not a problem maybe a new card is better

Do you think GTX 750Ti and GTX 660 (or 660Ti) can work on PE4C-EC100C V2.0?

Hi, I wanted to know if someone on here could help me out? I have an HP 8460p with an Intel Core i5-2520m 2.5Ghz processor with intel integrated graphics, 8GB of DDR3 ram, and I wanted to know if I could set up an eGPU? If I could, what would be the best setup available (GPU/what version of the DIY eGPU is the best- do I need)? I don't want to buy a GPU that would cost alot and give me half performance. I was thinking of picking up a 750ti, R7 260, 7770 or an R9 270. Also, it says my Laptop supports Express Card gen 2.0. Sorry if this post doesn't make sense, I am really tired.

Do you think they can work with PE4C-EC100C V2.0? Although these two cards are not on the recommendation list of Bplus:

PE4C V2.0 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

Do you think GTX 750Ti and GTX 660 (or 660Ti) can work on PE4C-EC100C V2.0?

Search on the forum or on Google for the same or similar combo:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6792-%5Bguide%[email protected]

I don't think that BPlus have tested all the possible configuration and maybe the list is filled by the results from this and other community.

You have some performance loss for sure but i think that both card can work with it. Maybe you need to wait the new revision of PE4C just to be sure taht is bug free.

Like i said before you need to take some risk, for what i've understand there's not a 100% sure response.

Is a community so other people have try to let things work and then they have posted their results and thank to them now there's a lot of useful info.

Hi, I wanted to know if someone on here could help me out? I have an HP 8460pwith an Intel Core i5-2520m 2.5Ghz processor with intel integrated graphics, 8GB of DDR3 ram, and I wanted to know if I could set up an eGPU? If I could, what would be the best setup available (GPU/what version of the DIY eGPU is the best- do I need)? I don't want to buy a GPU that would cost alot and give me half performance. I was thinking of picking up a 750ti, R7 260, 7770 or an R9 270. Also, it says my Laptop supports Express Card gen 2.0. Sorry if this post doesn't make sense, I am really tired.

Search on the forum or on Google for the same or similar combo:

DIY eGPU experiences - Page 464

eGPU can work(or at least someone have achived that), you will have performance loss compared to the same card used on a desktop PC.

Hi!

I'm a newbie that want to buy the stuff to make an eGPU (with a 560ti hawk)

As said on the <a href="http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html"> first page of this forum</a href>, (on the yellow box) "Important Notices":

"Project saboteurs of this community-driven project who halted/derailed the creative opportunities that pluggable, affordable eGPU graphics/processing provides."

[June-2013] Randy Case @ Harmonic Inversion Technology (US)</b> collected but then walked away (stole) 16-months worth of <a href="

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html#post27337" target="_blank">Setup 1.1x</a> donations he received for 'development purposes'. REF:<a href="http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3793-summary-dealing-hits-abandoned-egpu-commitments-%5Bcustomer-thread%5D.html#post53541" target="_blank">Summary: dealing with HIT's abandoned eGPU commitments [customer thread]</a>. Note: Randy was previously a Villagetronic distributor but supposedly switched to distributing DIY eGPU hardware due to a fallout with the Villagetronic CEO.

<b><strike>[Dec-2013] Apple/Intel (US)</b> : initiate US$170 BPlus <a href="http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2680-th05-recall-notice.html#post36363" target="_blank">TH05 Recall Notice</a> thereby eliminating cost-effective Thunderbolt eGPU solutions. </strike> <-- Rectified by June-2014 release of <a href="http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7205-us%24200-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box.html#post97941" target="_blank">http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-g...html#post97941</a> .

<b>[10-Sep-2012] notebookreview.com (US)</b> : banned Tech Inferno Fan (me) for ridiculous reasons from their site preventing my input into the original <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20120804123110/http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gpu-external-graphics-discussion/418851-diy-egpu-experiences.html#post5324240" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">9-18-2009 DIY eGPU experiences</a> (NBR) thread I initiated and maintained. As a result relocated the main content to Tech|Infero. Notebookreview.com refuses to remove my copyright content on their site to allow unified discussion here. Instead, the mostly abandoned thread just confuses users with stale info. NBR continue to draw ad revenue from that thread, the biggest one they've ever had by a significant margin. REF: <a href="http://forum.techinferno.com/off-topic/1834-introduce-yourself-5.html#post26396" target="_blank">Nando4 NBR ban summary</a>.

<b>[Aug-2011] Villagetronic (CN)</b>, commercial eGPU vendor directs their users to the then free DIY eGPU Setup 1.x software to supplement their hardware sales, ignoring the "free for non-commercial use license". As a result the software is moved to be US$25 restricted donationware as of Feb-2012 REF: <a href="http://egpu.maeth.net/faq.htm#f2" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">FAQ</a> and VT breach: <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/view/myfiles/#ureq1p8dqridppq" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">1</a>, <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/view/myfiles/#2965rvyj5xl1nk1" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">2</a>, <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/view/myfiles/#makc37fnfwtdxjj" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">3</a>.

<b>[Jan-2011] Intel (US)</b> locks down the x1, x2, x4 port settings in their Series-6 chipsets (2nd-gen i-core) or newer making x2/x4 configurations impossible for all but the extremely technically minded individuals. Series-5 and earlier chipsets did allow x2/x4 links to be setup if the system had the right port configuration. REF: <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20130215221445/http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gpu-external-graphics-discussion/418851-diy-egpu-experiences-247.html#post7027248" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Tech Inferno Fan investigation</a>

<b>[8-Sep-2010] notebookreview.com (US)</b> posts an underperforming Intel HD iGPU + AMD eGPU configuration in their DIY ViDock (eGPU) review rather than the superior Intel HD + NVidia Optimus eGPU one requested. That giving validity to their claim of underperformance and external LCD requirement and overall downplays it as more for amusement than as a serious competitor to gaming notebooks. Had the latter configuration been used then it would have outbenched any gaming notebook at that time except the top tier dual-GPU XF/SLI ones. REF: <a href="http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5846&review=how+to+upgrade+laptop+graphics+notebook" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">How to Upgrade Your Notebook Graphics Card Using DIY ViDOCK</a href>

I noticed that the website <a href="http://www.aliexpress.com/">AliExpress</a href> don't sale <a href="http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PCIe-card-extender-adapter-for-notebooks-PE4H-v2-4a-PM3N-60cm-cable/679031191.html">eGPU stuff</a href> anymore (Sorry, this item is no longer available!), but <a href="http://www.hwtools.net/eGPU.html">HWools</a href> still does (when i click on Buy, it redirect me to Paypal). <-- [EDITED] The product was just not available because of sold out

I have now questions:

- Is the eGPU dead?

- Does <a href="http://www.bplustech.com/eGPU.html">BPlustech</a href> (the guys that make HWtools.net) still sell their eGPUs stuff?

- Can i still buy the Setup 1.x?

Optional questions:

- It seems that i have a TOLUD of 2.5GB up to 4GB... what does it mean? (I did understand that it was the space for a graphic card)

Thanks for answer(s)!

Hello everyone!

I'm reading from a couple of hours now and I get really confused..

I have a Lenovo Z710:

i7-4700MQ

2x4GB RAM

Nvidia 745M running on PCIE 3.0 (which is really bad)

I'm trying to figure it out if I'll be able to attach a good video card like GTX650 or something of that kind.

In the CPU specs it says DMI2 5 GT/s.. which is good right ?

I have a Wifi card connected to the mPCIe on the motherboard.There I want to connect the EGPU.

post-29135-14494998210739_thumb.jpg

The question is it going to be good performance or not.

As I see I must run it on PCIe x2.

Aida64 on the south bridge says :

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2 In Use @ x1 (Intel Wireless-N 7260 BGN 2x2 HMC WiFi Adapter)

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #3 In Use @ x1 (Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller)

Where is the port#1 ?!Is it the integrated Nvidia 745M ?

Im thinking of buying this one PE4C V2.0 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

Hi!

I have now questions:

- Is the eGPU dead?

- Does BPlustech (the guys that make HWtools.net) still sell their eGPUs stuff?

To answer two of your questions:

1. eGPU is not dead

2. BPlustech has its manufacturing base in Shanghai, China and its online shop still sells the latest model PE4C-EC100C V2.0. But I am not so sure if it ships overseas.

Just scroll back a page or so on this thread and you will see there is another user who bought PE4C-EC100C V2.0, but not so sure where he bought it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking of buying this one PE4C V2.0 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

Pls let me know how much you pay for this and how it is shipped.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ha so this has it's own subforum now? cool

So I only have TB1 is that an issue? I read that its really 4 10gbps channels where TB2 is 2x20 so its really the same?

What do I need besides this Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box Expansion Chassis AK-T2PC-TIA B&H Photo and the GPU? This seems like the best option as most others are over priced or they come with a PSU that is to small anyway.

Can the GPU work in mac? Because then don't I need to stay with a 770 as 780's and Titan's don't have OSX drivers? If not I will probably go 780 Ti.

Hello everyone, I have bought an used T430 a few months back and I have been loving it.

The only thing that is wrong with it is that it came with a preset supervisor password but it hasn't really been a problem yet (except for the fn and ctrl swap, goddamn Lenovo why.)

I have been able to wipe my HD completely, throw grub on it and so on.

Lately I have been thinking that I'd like to play Dota2 with it on my other apartment, plugged to a 1920x1080 monitor and even with all settings at low ( I don't really care for anything else ) it doesn't cut it for my standards.

I have a plethora of video cards laying around gathering dust that I won at tournament some time ago, a 4850, 5870, 6990, 7850, all ATI.

I have been thinking about an e-GPU setup, the only goal is having Dota2 running at a stable 60 FPS while at 1920x1080, all settings low.

Do you think it is possible without being able to change any BIOS settings?

Hi!

I have now questions:

- Is the eGPU dead?

- Does <a href="http://www.bplustech.com/eGPU.html">BPlustech</a href> (the guys that make HWtools.net) still sell their eGPUs stuff?

Thanks for answer(s)!

To answer two of your questions:

1. eGPU is not dead

2. BPlustech has its manufacturing base in Shanghai, China and its online shop still sells the latest model PE4C-EC100C V2.0. But I am not so sure if it ships overseas.

Just scroll back a page or so on this thread and you will see there is another user who bought PE4C-EC100C V2.0, but not so sure where he bought it.

Thanks for the answers! (My bad, eGPU on Aliexpress was just sold out)

But there is one more question left :

Optional question :

- It seems that i have a TOLUD of 2.5GB up to 4GB... what does it mean? (I did understand that it was the space for a graphic card)

- I have only one mPCIe slot (a wifi slot), can i use Setup 1.x if i have whitelisting problems? (and eventually use Wireless USB adapter?)

Thanks for answers!

Ha so this has it's own subforum now? cool

So I only have TB1 is that an issue? I read that its really 4 10gbps channels where TB2 is 2x20 so its really the same?

What do I need besides this Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box Expansion Chassis AK-T2PC-TIA B&H Photo and the GPU? This seems like the best option as most others are over priced or they come with a PSU that is to small anyway.

Can the GPU work in mac? Because then don't I need to stay with a 770 as 780's and Titan's don't have OSX drivers? If not I will probably go 780 Ti.

So I guess this got moved here? Now I probably wont get an answer?.... I've never build a computer so I'm still trying to learn the whole PCIe-express card stuff so I'm not quite sure about everything.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.