eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Ok thanks Nando for the answer.

In fact , i change my sony SVZ + EGPU by a MSI GS60 Ghost pro , with I7-4700HQ and GTX 870m , which give me a good score of more than 5200 pts in graphic 3dm11 : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-16H2

So the MSI WS60 , which is the same as the GS60 (GTX 860/870m become K2100) , and i want to try something other....

But i think i would change when broadwell will start to come in notebook.

Do you know what can brodwell give us for egpu ? TB3 ? AMD graphic card can send back the video signal to the internal screen ? because the lost in bandwith between nvidia and AMD is quite big in some game ...

:)

AFAIK TB3 will come with Skylake chipset which will come after Broadwell. Intel gives a 2015 ETA for Skylake but I'm reading i7-quad Broadwill will be released in 2015 so 2016 is more likely.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2014/05/06/intel-skylake-100-series-chipset-details-leak/ . AMD isn't giving us an Optimus-like driver feature to send the signal back to the internal LCD. Best you've got to do that is LucidLogix Virtu which from my testing was inferior to Optimus.

Just released 15" ASUS NX500 would have been great had they included a Thunderbolt2 port. Though it has a x4 2.0 pci-e SSD slot and what appears to be a mSATA slot. If we had a x4 2.0 eGPU adapter then this could be hacked for direct x4 2.0, bypassing Thunderbolt altogether : http://ultrabooknews.com/2014/06/03/asus-nx500-with-quad-core-i7-raid-4k-full-specs/

Hi, I'm about to buy a Lenovo L440 with 8GB of RAM and thanks to this post I automatically assume I'll have to do setup 1.30 and DSDT substitution. The question I have is whether or not will it be possible to use UEFI/GPT? While the beginning of the 'install FAQ' and some of the info about DSDT suggests it won't be possible this sentence "Create a ... if you have GPT partitions (UEFI-boot) but is optional for BIOS-MBR boot ..." suggests otherwise.

And if it is in fact the case that UEFI won't be possible to use are all changes I'll have to make reversible (i.e. will it be possible (without many problems) to revert the NB to 'factory settings' (bootloader, etc. included))?

BTW: Do I understand it correctly that setup 1.30 comes with (your) support :) ?

Hi, I'm about to buy a Lenovo L440 with 8GB of RAM and thanks to this post I automatically assume I'll have to do setup 1.30 and DSDT substitution. The question I have is whether or not will it be possible to use UEFI/GPT? While the beginning of the 'install FAQ' and some of the info about DSDT suggests it won't be possible this sentence "Create a ... if you have GPT partitions (UEFI-boot) but is optional for BIOS-MBR boot ..." suggests otherwise.

And if it is in fact the case that UEFI won't be possible to use are all changes I'll have to make reversible (i.e. will it be possible (without many problems) to revert the NB to 'factory settings' (bootloader, etc. included))?

BTW: Do I understand it correctly that setup 1.30 comes with (your) support :) ?

DSDT override is possible under Windows 8.1 via the registry if driver signing enforcement is turned off. You may find Windows will auto-allocated the eGPU into the extra space created. If not, then use of Setup 1.30 will require a change from UEFI to MBR. If your system is delivered with a UEFI Win8.x install then can use a non-destructive GPT to MBR conversion process as explained at How to Convert GPT to MBR or Convert MBR to GPT without Losing Data? .

Yes, I answer any specific questions about Setup 1.30.

DSDT override is possible under Windows 8.1 via the registry if driver signing enforcement is turned off. You may find Windows will auto-allocated the eGPU into the extra space created. If not, then use of Setup 1.30 will require a change from UEFI to MBR. If your system is delivered with a UEFI Win8.x install then can use a non-destructive GPT to MBR conversion process as explained at How to Convert GPT to MBR or Convert MBR to GPT without Losing Data? .

Yes, I answer any specific questions about Setup 1.30.

Is this a recent change? I thought the only way to do a DSDT override was to apply it from within setup 1.30?

I would like to give this another go because I can't run my eGPU and iGPU simultaneously at this stage which means I can't hot-plug.

Has the method to do a DSDT override changed/improved at all since those guides were posted?

Is this a recent change? I thought the only way to do a DSDT override was to apply it from within setup 1.30?

I would like to give this another go because I can't run my eGPU and iGPU simultaneously at this stage which means I can't hot-plug.

Has the method to do a DSDT override changed/improved at all since those guides were posted?

Yes, The DSDT override post has been updated explaining Win8.x does allow a DSDT override if test signing is enabled.

I am planning to upgrade my PC by adding new RAM memory. Now I have 4 gigs but I want to buy another 4 gigs so that I will have 8. Do you think that I will be forced to make another DSDT Override or should my setup work properly with more RAM?

Hi,

I'm new user, interested in eGPU via Thunderbolt on Mac.

Spend last few hours reading and searching the forum for best option and I need help, please ...

I have Macbook Pro 15 (mid 2012) HiRes, i7 2,6GHz, 16GB, 2xSSD, GPU 650m 1GB, OSX 10.9.4 & Win7 64 Bootcamp and I live in Europe - Croatia.

Please can You suggest best & cheap components for external GPU GTX660 or GTX560.

I can buy GPU in Croatia probably used one, but what parts can I buy that can ship to Croatia for eGPU?

Thank you.

(I am actively researching everything eGPU as well, but thought I'd ask here in the meantime to get some specific insight into all of this.)

I'm in the market for a new laptop, and hoping to get one that is extremely future-proof with eGPU options. I'm very interested in the ZBook 15, especially since (according to the eGPU candidate list) it has ThunderBolt 2. However, I can't seem to find anything saying that it actually has TB2 and not just a regular TB1 port. Do all ZBook 15's have TB2? If not, how would I find out if this one has TB2?

Also, I have a Dell 240W power brick from my old laptop. Can I use this to power an eGPU? If so, what am I limited to?

Finally, what all will I need to get an eGPU working over TB (1 or 2) with the 240W PSU (or another PSU if that won't work)?

Any other thoughts/advice are appreciated.

I am planning to upgrade my PC by adding new RAM memory. Now I have 4 gigs but I want to buy another 4 gigs so that I will have 8. Do you think that I will be forced to make another DSDT Override or should my setup work properly with more RAM?

I've found that RAM upgrades don't usually cause the system DSDT change.

BIOS update can cause problems. With both Dell and HP test systems there were DSDT addresses changed that could, and have caused, Windows to BSOD on startup after a BIOS update.

(I am actively researching everything eGPU as well, but thought I'd ask here in the meantime to get some specific insight into all of this.)

I'm in the market for a new laptop, and hoping to get one that is extremely future-proof with eGPU options. I'm very interested in the ZBook 15, especially since (according to the eGPU candidate list) it has ThunderBolt 2. However, I can't seem to find anything saying that it actually has TB2 and not just a regular TB1 port. Do all ZBook 15's have TB2? If not, how would I find out if this one has TB2?

Also, I have a Dell 240W power brick from my old laptop. Can I use this to power an eGPU? If so, what am I limited to?

Finally, what all will I need to get an eGPU working over TB (1 or 2) with the 240W PSU (or another PSU if that won't work)?

Any other thoughts/advice are appreciated.

eGPU candidate system list has been updated with a (TB2) link next to the Zbook 15/17 with details about the Thunderbolt2 compliance. Looking forward to someone implementing a HP ZBook 15/17 eGPU. Maybe you'll be the first?

Your Dell P13F isn't a good AC adapter to try to adapt for use with an eGPU. That's because it's rated at 20V. You'd want a 12V one like the 220W Dell DA-2, though keep in mind a 220W TDP limits you to a GTX680/GTX760/HD7950/R9-280. Easiest is to use an ATX PSU since they often have power switches, have molex/pcie power cabling and are readily available for low cost.

The Zbook 15/17 are marked as TB2, but do we know that the Zbook 15/17 G1 has TB2? There are many listed as G1 for sale online, but I can't find any difference in specs between the ZBook 15/17 and the ZBook 15/17 G1. Perhaps there is no major difference, but there is definitely a slightly lower price for models marked "G1".

The question is, did they change from TB1 to TB2 in G1->"G2"? if that is indeed referring to generation 1.

eGPU candidate system list has been updated with a (TB2) link next to the Zbook 15/17 with details about the Thunderbolt2 compliance. Looking forward to someone implementing a HP ZBook 15/17 eGPU. Maybe you'll be the first?

I'd love to be the first, although I want to get a TB2 laptop, and this article seems to imply that the first ZBooks - and thus the refurbs I'm looking at - do not in fact have Thunderbolt2 compliance. Only TB1.

"The Thunderbolt 2 version will double data transfer speeds when it arrives later this year"

"The ZBook 15 and 17 are shipping now"

Other sources also show that the ZBooks launched before TB2 dropped. Damn, TB2 + 4700QM in a Zbook 15 for $1250 with a warranty would have been a hell of a deal!

Your Dell P13F isn't a good AC adapter to try to adapt for use with an eGPU. That's because it's rated at 20V. You'd want a 12V one like the 220W Dell DA-2, though keep in mind a 220W TDP limits you to a GTX680/GTX760/HD7950/R9-280. Easiest is to use an ATX PSU since they often have power switches, have molex/pcie power cabling and are readily available for low cost.

Ah okay, thanks. Might have to look into that 220W when/if I get this going, since a GTX 680 wouldn't be bad at all.

2012 Macbook Air i5-3337U-1.8 + GTX770@x1 2.0 (EXP GDC V6 + Sonnet Echo Expresscard Pro, Thunderbolt-to-Expresscard) (Russian)

[video=youtube;Jw_HLdLRmwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw_HLdLRmwo[/video]

Nando4 comment>> This Russian vendor has hidden my comments from his youtube video where I've questioned why he's attempting a US$336 profit for his BiZonBox "product". <-- He's now disabled comments altogether. Therefore feel free to 'dislike' his youtube video. It seems the only way to warn potential customers of being ripped off by his redundant, overpriced solution since he will censor (hide) such comments.
Here a vendor demos a GTX770 eGPU on a 2012 Macbook Pro attached via a EXP GDC V6 + 220W Dell DA-2 + Sonnet Echo Expresscard Pro Thunderbolt-to-expresscard adapter. A few things

* his webstore lists the the solution (minus the GTX770) as a BiZonBox for 21,990 RUB (US$610). How does he get such a large number? I'm not sure because his kit is made up of the following three components. Is this vendor then attempting a USD$358 profit?

[INDENT]USD$77 EXP GDC V6 + 220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter USD$130 Sonnet Echo Expresscard Pro USD$20 Acrylic cover with customized BiZon labelling US$25 Thunderbolt cable[/INDENT]

* He is demoing a GTX770 which is rated at 229W TDP. That slightly exceeds a Dell DA-2's 220W rating. However, a taobao vendor I saw a while back claims a DA-2 can output 240W. He's either taking advantage of that extra 20W or not loading the GTX770 to the point where it's stressing the PSU enough to cause problems. A GTX680 is rated at 195W TDP and would fit more comfortably within the power limits. A GTX770 is pretty much a overclocked GTX680.

* The Sonnet Thunderbolt-to-expresscard adapter is not shown in the video. What we do see is the Thunderbolt cable leading from the right side of the machine to something magical behind it and the EXP GDC V6 adapter. Is this stealth marketting to attract Thunderbolt notebook owner attention without disclosing the solution provides 5Gbps downgraded performance from native Thunderbolt2 16Gbps or Thundebolt1 10Gbps?

10/16Gbps US$200 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box makes this style of 5Gbps Thunderbolt-to-expresscard eGPU implementations redundant

The recently release US$200 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box makes this 5Gbps eGPU implementation neither performance nor cost effective. Had he used that enclosure instead he'd double the bandwidth (5GBps->10Gbps) at a native 10Gbps Thunderbolt1 bandwidth. Furthermore, he'd have the option of upgrading his notebook to a Thunderbolt2-specced 2013 rMBP to gain a further 60% PCIe bandwidth (10Gbps->16Gbps).

REF: [url]http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7205-us%24200-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box.html#post97941[/url]

Hello, please tell me. Connect to macbook pro via sonnet expresscard -> exp gdc

But in windows video card is not detected ???

Sonnet checked with another device - all ok

On exp gdc schelkak switch - meaningless

What should I do guys

thunderbolt adapter okay (since I connect esata and everything is determined and requires drivers)

But if you connect the video is all in the manager is empty

VIDEO (russian) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI2g...H8B0xFQWmhCyJQ

Hello, please tell me. Connect to macbook pro via sonnet expresscard -> exp gdc

But in windows video card is not detected ???

Sonnet checked with another device - all ok

On exp gdc schelkak switch - meaningless

What should I do guys

thunderbolt adapter okay (since I connect esata and everything is determined and requires drivers)

But if you connect the video is all in the manager is empty

VIDEO (russian) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI2g...H8B0xFQWmhCyJQ

Your eGPU is not being detected in Device Manager after trying your hotplug and bootup methods because you probably have some faulty hardware. That fault could be anywhere between the Thunderbolt adapter to the video card. That could mean the EXP GDC V6, video card, cable that links the EXP GDC V6 to the Thunderbolt-to-expresscard adapter or the power supply you are using.

The only way to solve the problem is to test each component individually.

If I was to guess I'd say the likely culprit would be your PSU or the EXP GDC V6. There have been several reported faulty EXP GDC V6 units.

Nando4 comment>> This Russian vendor has hidden my comments from his youtube video where I've questioned why he's attempting a US$361 profit for his BiZonBox "product". Therefore feel free to 'dislike' his youtube video. It seems the only way to warn potential customers of being ripped off by his redundant, overpriced solution since he will censor (hide) such comments.

I posted a reply for him too.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I posted a reply for him too.

Saw your reply for a split second, and now you're hidden too!! This BiZon guy in the above video is a major opportunist. Let's hope other eGPU users will down vote his youtube video to protect against the "whoah.. I want it" knee-jerk purchase after watching his (what borders on fraudulent) advertising. Only way we can protect unsuspecting users from being ripped off.

BiZon is trying to get over US$358 profit for his US$610 kit (EXP GDC V6). With each sale he makes he can buy a USD$200-$270 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box in profit along + quite a few McHappy meals for his mates.

Saw your reply for a split second, and now you're hidden too!! This BiZon guy is a major opportunist. Let's hope other eGPU users will down vote his video to protect against the "whoah.. I want it" knee-jerk purchase after watching his (what borders on fraudulent) advertising.

BiZon is trying to get over US$358 profit for his US$610 kit (EXP GDC V6). With each sale he makes he can buy a USD$200-$270 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box in profit along + quite a few McHappy meals for his mates.

I expect that everyone of this community has the common sense to down vote this guy!

EDIT: "Comments are disabled for this video."

• Thumbs Up 1

And what should be the voltage at the terminals power supply? I'll check tester

Are speaking of the Dell DA-2 220W PSU?

3x Black = GND

3x White = +12V (12.35V if I remember correctly)

1x Blue = It should be connected to GND in order to power up the PSU

1x Red = some temp sensor cable

Tech Inferno Fan, That is checked for Sony vaio laptop all defined !!! Obtained through the sonnet thunderbolt - works

himself ext gdc - works

Then the problem is in the macbook ??? Maybe in the bios to allow you need something?

- - - Updated - - -

Photo

post-28735-14494998175693_thumb.jpg

post-28735-14494998177136_thumb.jpg

post-28735-14494998178545_thumb.jpg

Hello fellow eGPUers....I'm not sure if this has been discussed here but some quick question.

I'm planning to build my DIY eGPU

I have the following

1. Thunderbolt DIsplay

2. Mac Mini 2012 i7 16GB Windows 7 64

3. PE4H

4. Sonnet EchoPro EC TB adapter

I'm planning to get either the following;

Option 1 - (

)

1. XFX r6670 CORE Edition

2. 65 W 19V Adapter

or

1. EVGA GeForce 750 Ti

2. I'm not sure what DC adapter will work for this GPU. [EDIT] I read one of the reply here about Dell DA-2/3, how am I able to connect it to the PE4H since it doesn't have the round end plug?)

I'm leading to using adapter to really make it more portable. Which is better for my Mac Mini the NVIDIA or AMD?

Thank you in advance!

FACEPALM!!

Problem solved. It turns out that in the plug expresscard34 recessed foot, and in the sonnet thunderbolt has a spring which does not insert the card until the end. After removal of the spring to the end I was able to connect to expresscard adapter.

All wines with poor wire ext gdc.

That sonnet eSata they are not drowned - so all and determined, and here it is necessary to thrust to the end that would have been exposed

:Banane09::Banane09::Banane09:

• Thumbs Up 1

Ordering parts for an eGPU just want to know if these parts will work. I'm not sure which enclosure is better the Sonnet SEL or the AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box. Also what is the best way to get around error 12??? Will a simply override work or is eGPU setup 1.3 a better option.

I just reinstalled Windows 8.1 fresh on my new SSD in my 2570P. I then attempted to install my eGPU in the same manner as before, but for some reason, I am gertting an Error 12 message. Nothing has changed since I swapped in the SSD other than the removal of the WWAN card. I'm not sure whether I need to do a DSDT override or get Setup 1.x. Any help or insight into why I am suddenly having Error 12 issues would be greatly appreciated.

I just reinstalled Windows 8.1 fresh on my new SSD in my 2570P. I then attempted to install my eGPU in the same manner as before, but for some reason, I am gertting an Error 12 message. Nothing has changed since I swapped in the SSD other than the removal of the WWAN card. I'm not sure whether I need to do a DSDT override or get Setup 1.x. Any help or insight into why I am suddenly having Error 12 issues would be greatly appreciated.

Please obtain <A HREF="http://tiny.cc/Setup1x">Setup 1.30</A> to correct the error 12 you are seeing. I can assist you if you need further help there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.